Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What's your most hated band?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.19.2009, 06:46 AM   #161
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Did I mention Phish? They really are the shittest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 06:50 AM   #162
sarramkrop

Every time I see the name Phish on this forum it confuses me. Are there two bands called Phish, and one is meant to be less shit than the redneck wankers I'm thinking of? 'Cause that band are Pish.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 06:54 AM   #163
sarramkrop

Add Ween and They Might Might Be Giants to that list. If those people got into music to vindicate the fact that they were bullied in school, they are giving their tormentors more reasons to chase them down the football pitch with a carrier bag full of excreta.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 07:13 AM   #164
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Every time I see the name Phish on this forum it confuses me. Are there two bands called Phish, and one is meant to be less shit than the redneck wankers I'm thinking of? 'Cause that band are Pish.

Phish are precisely the reason that when people think of improv they think of ugly pastafarians playing funk bass.

I actually think the bands I hate most are often the ones that, due to mutual friends and obscurity, I can't actually name in public.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 07.19.2009, 07:36 AM   #165
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Ween and They Might Might Be Giants

Ween I can sort of understand but TMBG sort of surprises me. not because i think they're good but because they're so unlike anything I can imagine you even trying to listen to in the first place. I tend to find the bands people hate the most are those that come to misrepresent (in their eyes) something that they hold quite dear (hence a lot of people here having problems with bands like pearl jam), or else they can see in something, a side of themselves that they really dislike (this board's general hatred of hipster culture, etc).

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. I listed Limp Bizkit, who represent none of those things to me at all.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 07:39 AM   #166
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Phish are precisely the reason that when people think of improv they think of ugly pastafarians playing funk bass.

haha

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 07:56 AM   #167
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Either I have a massive deja vu (wich, in case you're unaware, does NOT mean "erection") or Glice had the chance to express his view on Pish with similar words on a couple occasions in other threads...
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 08:06 AM   #168
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Ween I can sort of understand but TMBG sort of surprises me. not because i think they're good but because they're so unlike anything I can imagine you even trying to listen to in the first place. I tend to find the bands people hate the most are those that come to misrepresent (in their eyes) something that they hold quite dear (hence a lot of people here having problems with bands like pearl jam), or else they can see in something, a side of themselves that they really dislike (this board's general hatred of hipster culture, etc).

TMBG I mentioned because they're one of those bands I can safely say are shit, both musically and lyrically, even though they're clearly as relevant as making a point of really hating a band as such. I did buy one of their records in my formative indie years, and they immediately struck me as everything I knowI don't like about a band. Their songs have an air of whingesome pedantry, an insipidity of intent that simply doesn't cut it with me.

Probably a better choice for that would have been Pavement. Also, I've mentioned them because I like taking the mickey out of Rob, even though he's a nice bloke. and he doesn't mind making his bad taste public.

It's interesting what you say about ''the bands people hate the most are those that come to misrepresent (in their eyes) something that they hold quite dear''. Personally I'm prepared to ignore any lack of aesthetic appeal (interpret broadly) if the records are of my taste, but if both the music and the looks suck big balls, I find myself acting like those who work with the general public every day, get three people making a big fuss over a stupid thing, and reach the end of their shift thinking that everyone they deal with is an arsehole. I am not saying this is the right or wrong attitude, and it's not something that has much of an impact on my daily routine in general, it's just one of those things that happen, you calm down, and then you're back to normal.

I don't care much about hipsters, if they happen to be cool with me, I am cool with them.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 09:01 AM   #169
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Joanna Newson
Animal Collective
Devendra Banhart and all his side projects
Iron and Wine
Coco Rosie
Beck

I don't hate those names, I am left feeling like they're a bunch phonies. Plus those voices. Maybe it's because their whole package comes across to me as too stylised in an indie kind of way, sort of passive-aggressive without never being either, which has grave potential of irritating me.
They all made great records but I can get your point. Devendra personality gets on my nerves with all the mystic indian crap. CocoRosie made one great album and then two very dissapointing ones.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 10:09 AM   #170
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
esp. animal collective. i remember thinking a WHILE back that they were doing something remotely interesting...but several albums later it just stills seems like the same 'ol shit. i guess they realize it sells and see no point in moving on to something a bit different..

yeah, i thought for a while they were going to get really into that tourettes-choir-covering-the-beach-boys sound then.. they got into it and it was kinda annoying. their last one's a total dance album though.
Old 07.19.2009, 01:57 PM   #171
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
Either I have a massive deja vu (wich, in case you're unaware, does NOT mean "erection") or Glice had the chance to express his view on Pish with similar words on a couple occasions in other threads...

Ha! Yeah, I'm a total word-fraud like that.

Quote:
Old 07.19.2009, 02:14 PM   #172
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
esp. animal collective. i remember thinking a WHILE back that they were doing something remotely interesting...but several albums later it just stills seems like the same 'ol shit. i guess they realize it sells and see no point in moving on to something a bit different.
i can understand why you would not like animal collective - though personally they're my second favorite band -, but i must admit i don't understand your comment? animal collective not moving on?
Leaf House (2004)
My Girls (2009)
Come on...
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 02:38 PM   #173
godsfavoritedog
bad moon rising

godsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
henry rollins - boring self righteous cunt who appeared on one good album, probably by mistake.

Just out of curiosity, which album is that? I'm trying to think of one where he was less Rollinsy than normal but I'm coming up empty.
godsfavoritedog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 02:39 PM   #174
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
I'm assuming he means Damaged.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 02:48 PM   #175
godsfavoritedog
bad moon rising

godsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's asses
I know they've already been mentioned but the most obvious answer for me is Nickelback. To me they are the musical equivalent of Crocs. Tacky and totally indicative of a complete lack of taste. If I see someone wearing Crocs or listening to Nickelback, I instantly know that is a person I will never get along with.

Phish - Yeah, they are absolutely crap and I should hate them but I just can't. Trey shopped in my (now closed) record store all the time and he's the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet. He'd buy tons and tons of stuff, in just about every genre. Most of it pretty good too. I have no idea why his good taste doesn't translate to his music.
Old 07.19.2009, 02:49 PM   #176
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
to everyone who says nickelback

WHAT ABOUT CREED
Old 07.19.2009, 02:50 PM   #177
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsfavoritedog
Just out of curiosity, which album is that? I'm trying to think of one where he was less Rollinsy than normal but I'm coming up empty.

damaged. he's no less rollinsy but the albums too great even for his rollinsness to spoil
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 02:54 PM   #178
jerf
children of satan

jerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan

WHAT ABOUT CREED

true, but at least creed isnt making music anymore. nickelback is the new creed.
jerf is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2009, 02:56 PM   #179
godsfavoritedog
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan

WHAT ABOUT CREED

Creed blows. Believe it or not, there's a Creed tribute band called Human Clay. It's always mystified me how a musician could agree to be in a band like Human Clay. Their entire purpose for existing is to imitate a band who sucks ass. So whatever talent you have would be used to suck ass as well. It makes my head explode just thinking about it.
Old 07.19.2009, 02:56 PM   #180
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
creed are surely the worst band ever to have walked this godforsaken earth

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth