Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page saw melt banana for the first time last night
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.02.2007, 01:34 PM   #21
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i think the japanese drummers they have (there are 2 i think) can't tour and so they use dave witte for playing in the the rest of the world,
which is a shame because the japanese drummers i've seen them play with kick his arse.

cardinal rob, they've been coming to the UK every couple of years for the last 8 years, maybe longer, i reckon they'll come back next year.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2007, 09:10 PM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
when i saw 'em the other day, they had a japanese drummer. who was amazing.

melt banana hates touring japan, because it's expensive.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2007, 09:47 PM   #23
Cardinal Rob
the destroyed room

Cardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
cardinal rob, they've been coming to the UK every couple of years for the last 8 years, maybe longer, i reckon they'll come back next year.

Brilliance. They last came in 2005 so they're due. As for the drummers, it seems to happen with quite a few groups, non? I've no idea if this is because drummers just burn out in certain bands, they're only getting paid 3% of what the rest of the band earn, they speak their mind and become ostracised within the group or what.

Cardinal Rob is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2007, 01:44 PM   #24
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i fucking love melt bananna, japan has so much great extreme noisy music, boredoms obviously being the one everyone knows about, and im sure a fair amount listen to polysics.

But, anyone here listen to Fuck on The Beach? Thrash Noisy Punk Metal Spazz i duno, which means they kinda sound like the band Spazz, anyways theyre nuts, i love em.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2007, 02:13 PM   #25
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i've seen them 7 times too, btw, always fantastic

I've gradually lost interest in their records since Cell-scape, and you've seen them twice more than me, y'bastard, but they're still one of the few bands I wouldn't like to miss for love nor money. Did you see the first British shows? I still find it hard to fathom quite how amazing their first drummer (or the first drummer I saw, at least) was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2007, 05:17 PM   #26
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
the first time i saw them in the uk was probably 2001 or 2002, so i probably didn't see the first british shows. their recorded output i've always found somewhat lacklustre.
Old 11.12.2007, 05:18 PM   #27
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
They were in the burgh last saturday, but I forgot about it.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2007, 12:13 PM   #28
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
o yeah, i forgot, im seein melt-bannana dec 4th at rialto theater in tucson. locust are opening. i fuckin despise the locust. i wish i was back home in boston cuz the daughets opened up for them. the daughters are an excellent band. i saw them in boston a couple years back and they were great. well the band was great but their lead singer has a severe drinking problem, he was heavily wasted.
Old 04.20.2008, 12:55 PM   #29
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!

i saw them last night and it's easily one of the best bands i've ever seen live, it was so amazing. agata is a fucking virtuoso, dude has like twice if not three times as many pedals as omar from the mars volta and you hardly see him tap dancing, it's amazing how he uses pure sound to make the rhythms. rika is just a little taller than her bass and she still can play those hard as fuck basslines, they had a japanese drummer that played just as awesome as dave witte and yako was amazing, at the start of the show, she took a banana, peeled it, took a bite and threw it into the crowd, during one song early, she went to the lip of the stage, and just when the song was about to kick into a blastbeat again, she tried to kiss a dude.

plus, this was easily one of the most intense slamdancing experiences i've ever had.

and also, i've seen and played many noise shows with very loud, distorted and extreme frequencies into play (just the night before i saw wolf eyes) and not once i had any trouble with my ears afterwards but today, they are ringing fucking loud.

fuck yeah, i love them!!!
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2008, 01:22 PM   #30
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, the Japanese drummer played when I saw them. He was amazing.

Agata is pretty easily in the top 10 best guitarists of all time.

Amazing band.

One of the only bands I've ever heard (besides hearing Dillinger Escape Plan when I was 13) that just completely reshaped the way I thought about music. Amazing.

Old 04.20.2008, 01:28 PM   #31
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
the thing is that what they do is extremely complicated yet they have songs, with verses and choruses and weird parts but every single one of those parts is essential to the songs, even the microsongs and their earlier songs. and they make it all sound so natural, you really can't tell when they are playing actual notes or just noise unless you really pay attention.

and agata's fucked sg is the stuff of legends, he basically plays a broken guitar.
Old 04.20.2008, 01:35 PM   #32
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

His tuning is really weird too, I don't see how he doesn't break more strings...

Something interesting about their last album is the more obvious use of power chords.. they've used power chords a ton but they really noticeably used them a lot on the last album. And it sounded great! He's not afraid to do something like that if it sounds good, even if it's a riff anyone can play. He's not technical for the sake of being technical... but still, no one could play like he does.

Old 04.20.2008, 01:55 PM   #33
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Does anyone here knows Agata's solo record ?
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2008, 01:56 PM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah, "spike".

It's alright. Just a bunch of weird noises.

Old 04.20.2008, 03:10 PM   #35
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

the most pivotal musical experience i've had was the first time i saw these guys play live, i only had a vague idea of who they were, they were opening for some other bands i was going to see, they changed my life, no joke
Old 04.20.2008, 03:14 PM   #36
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
im seeing them in dublin in june.. cant fucking wait. supported by party wierdo, a dublin band that kicks ass!
Old 04.21.2008, 10:58 AM   #37
batreleaser
invito al cielo

ive seen them three times, once in december, once last year opening for tool, and once a few years ago.

everytime they blew my mind.

in december, i got to the club waaaaaay too early, and none of my friends were there. so i went up to the merchandise counter and started trying to talk to the japanese merch dude. soon enough, i was sellin shit with the dude. i was there for a couple hrs, and to show his gratitude he bowed and gave me a tshirt, agata's newest solo cd, and some pins.

i then got too go right in front of the stage, literally a foot away from agata banging his effects pedals like a madman, one of the best shows of my life.

listen to pink reason
Old 04.21.2008, 04:32 PM   #38
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
Does anyone here knows Agata's solo record ?

maaaaan!!!! they were selling it at the merch table and i didn't bring enough money!!!

yako and rika were selling their merch.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth