Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.16.2018, 01:29 PM   #10441
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, France winning feels right. They improved as they progressed. Belgium were probably the team I most enjoyed watching but by the final France looked the most complete.

England will get better and I'm sure they'll be serious contenders going into upcoming tournaments. Especially if they can find a playmaker from somewhere - the one area we really fall down in.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2018, 01:04 PM   #10442
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
So the transfer window rolls on for Liverpool (and seemingly no one else).

Now forgive me whilst I go on a rant here. So the big thing right now is how they've broken the record for a goalkeeper at 67 million for Alisson. They also broke the record for a defender (75 million for Van Dijk) last season. My question is why?

Firstly, Alisson. That's some serious money to spend on a keeper. I watched Roma a few times last year and fair play, he's a decent keeper. However, was anyone else after him? Rumours were Chelsea, but that's it. Why allow yourself to get trumped into paying that much for him? To my eyes Oblak is just as good a keeper. Would he have cost less? For sure. I guess Roma were just wanting the extra money to make the bargain Salah hurt less. Liverpool got suckered in and paid the first number they got told.

Now Van Dijk. This one was and still is even more baffling. 75 million. 75 MILLION!! Insane. However, you gotta ask yourself "is he in the top 20 defenders out there?" At a push. Then you think how many other great defenders are there out there they could have tried for? Umtiti is one. Hummels is another, Boateng is there. Koulibaly definitely, but I don't think they'd have got him.

Umtiti had a release clause for, what was it, 50 million last summer? Definitely a better player than Van Dijk. Again, no one else was pestering for Van Dijk! Liverpool wet themselves and threw whatever money they had at a pretty decent defender. For that money you'd want someone next level.

Honestly, I don't get it. I don't get why they threw all that money on two reasonable players when much better were available and probably cheaper. Will they win the league this year? (Our year, la!) probably not given how great City were. You'd be a fool to think Guardiola will let the team rest on their laurels this year. Will they win a trophy? Hopefully not. Question is if they win the FA cup next year could they honestly say all that money was worth it?

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2018, 01:12 PM   #10443
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
so glad you brought back this thread

i was starting to look at the trump thread again, like a dog returning to his vomit

ha!

so: transfers? i have no idea

generalized inflation i assume? maybe some chinese club wanted them. we’ve had these discussions before.

me, i gotta get my football supply sorted for the year. hoping to catch some prem games as well as bundesliga and champions and who knows what else.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2018, 01:24 PM   #10444
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
so glad you brought back this thread
i was starting to look at the trump thread again, like a dog returning to his vomit

Yup I made that mistake myself. Made the bigger mistake of actually posting on there too.

Quote:
generalized inflation i assume? maybe some chinese club wanted them. weve had these discussions before.

This is my point. From what it sounds like no one else was after them. And even if there were. So what. Better players out there to try for. I can't talk cos Everton are doing a stand up job of spunking silly money on even more average players than Liverpool have done. Don't even know why I'm letting myself get sucked into a shit season.

Quote:
me, i gotta get my football supply sorted for the year. hoping to catch some prem games as well as bundesliga and champions and who knows what else.

Aye. Reckon you'll try and have a look at more premier league games this season?

Old 07.20.2018, 01:59 PM   #10445
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
yes. so many good players in the prem it’s impossible for me to ignore any longer

i’ll still keep an eye on bundesliga cuz it’s such a great feeder league

but seriously, it’s getting out of hand. and chelsea dumped conte? who the fuck dumps conte?
Old 07.21.2018, 04:21 AM   #10446
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
To my eyes Oblak is just as good a keeper. Would he have cost less? For sure.

He would've actually cost more. I'm sure I read about Liverpool originally wanting him before they even looked at Alisson but Atletico whacked an insane release clause on him, so they dropped it. So if Oblak proved too expensive, and assuming MU wouldn't sell DeGea to Liverpool in a million years (or that DeGea would even want to go there) and ditto Chelsea with Courtois (whose move to Real looks increasingly like a done deal) the options at that grade soon start to run out. And sticking with Mignolet or Karius was never an option.

Either way, it all makes the 7m that West Ham just paid for Fabianski look like the bargain of the summer.
Old 07.21.2018, 10:26 AM   #10447
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i know most people here are not ‘mericans, but i’ll think outloud a bit and say: i think sling blue with dvr should give me the best bang for the buck for $30/mo which will include the nbc and fox sports (prem + bundesliga + champions).

then there’s “fubo” for $40 which presumably has *everything*...

hmmmm...
Old 07.21.2018, 11:50 AM   #10448
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

That's not bad at all! Here sky sports are charging 28 a month. However, they lost Champions league to BT sport a few seasons back, and this year they just lost la liga to some god knows what channel. So all they have now is just premier league.

They boast about having the most premier league games.over BT. Which to be fair is fuck load. They also have Gary Neville's punditry on Monday night games.
However, BT have bundesligsa, serie a, ligue 1, and the Portuguese league which probably boasts 12 viewers per game. Actually no idea why football people haven't switched to BT in their droves. But you have to deal with Robbie Savage commentary. Which I'm sure is sausage to.you but.youve heard enough people on here moan about him

Anyway! Join us premier league geeks and you can despair in watching West Ham and Everton.

Old 07.21.2018, 05:02 PM   #10449
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, for $30 a mo that's pretty good.

Have to say, though, I hate the move towards subscription for things like the CL. It's surely only a matter of time before it happens to the WC, too.
Old 07.21.2018, 06:27 PM   #10450
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Isn't there a rule where certain things have to be available on terrestrial tv like Wimbledon, World Cup etc?

Old 07.21.2018, 06:46 PM   #10451
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

the subscription business for the world cup is already in effect here in ‘murka, but let’s face it, this is not a footballling nation (unless you count the hand-ovoid of the same name).

fox and telemundo are mostly OTA, but this being a massive rural cuntry there is OTA signal only in urban markets, and even there the signal is often shit, even in flat places (hello albuquerque). many repeating stations have been eliminated: e.g, in my boonies, you could watch with antenna 40 years ago but today you need a satellite dish or you’re shit out of luck. the internet is coming to the rescue but not quite there.

result is most people are on cable or satellite tv (same diff, all “cable” to me). and so to watch you need cable, or a cable login for the apps. plus, not all games are on the main OTA station but they’re on their cable-only sports branches.

this past summer telemundo teased for 2 free weeks of world cup before switching to a subscription-only model with little advance notice. univision was fully free 4 years ago, the whole thing. fuck telesucio.

funny thing is this past summer i had a cable login which offered fox but did not include telecaca. which is how i ended up having to put up with aly wagner’s terrible voice modulation the final 2 weeks. telesucio lost their chance to advertise to me i guess. some of those commercials were actually funny! and i’m still trying to find out the lady who sings the kia soul song about, oh, not rushing or something.

as for england: i do believe you should have a human right to behold national events on a publicly accessible signal. especially since you pay a “tv tax” which should purchase you some fundamental rights. match of the day or whatever. world cup yes.

they neoliberal state however demands that you get rich OR ELSE. which should be fine as long as they can pretty much guarantee it. here in the US even food stamps recipients have cable. lol im serious.
Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM   #10452
demonrail666
invito al cielo

It got buried under all the WC stuff but any thoughts on Ronaldo's move to Juventus?
Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM   #10453
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
It got buried under all the WC stuff but any thoughts on Ronaldo's move to Juventus?
they wanna win the champions league and will keep him in cold storage for that?
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM   #10454
_tunic_
expwy. to yr skull

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...oreUserAgent=1

OK the strike was a flop. But it is still strange that the Fiat employees are layed off on the one hand due to budget cuts and on the other end they do have the money to pay 100+ million for one footballer

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM   #10455
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...oreUserAgent=1

OK the strike was a flop. But it is still strange that the Fiat employees are layed off on the one hand due to budget cuts and on the other end they do have the money to pay 100+ million for one footballer
lmao 5 people showed up

good stuff

the money is good considering neymar cost double and hes a fucking clown

the money juve will make selling shirts alone should probably make up for the expense, ha ha ha
Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM   #10456
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Once you relate football finances to the real world it inevitably becomes indefensible. I'll be surprised if Juve recuperate the money spent on Ronaldo (especially if you factor in his 30m a year wages).
You can't really compare the price for Ronaldo to that of Neymar. Love him or hate him, Neymar is only now starting to hit his peak whereas Ronaldo probably has 2-3 more years at that level and is already reducing his role on the pitch to compensate for his age. But the fact is, 100m doesn't buy you a world class forward with long term prospects these days.

Either way, for me it makes Juve look a bit like an MLS side, buying into the past rather than looking to the future.
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #10457
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah the wear of old age is why i think they will reserve him for champions games or something.

if he can pull a hat trick against a major side once a month juve could win it all.

it’s not like they have a problems beating the rest of italy. it’s the same as bayern, where europe is the only real challenge left to them.

so my thought is ronaldo is there for that specific purpose.

then again maybe they want him to play against sampdoria on a regular weekend...

...naaaaaah.

oh and now napoli lost their coach to chelsea right?

there went the last threat
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #10458
demonrail666
invito al cielo

On those wqges, I'd not only be expecting him to play every week but clean the kit, drive the team bus, mow the grass on the pitch and do my Christmas shopping for me.
Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM   #10459
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
On those wqges, I'd not only be expecting him to play every week but clean the kit, drive the team bus, mow the grass on the pitch and do my Christmas shopping for me.

he’s worth more than a hollywood movie. he’s more popular than jesus, ha ha ha.

here’s a random observation to illustrate

i play this cellphone game, clash of clans. it’s a bit old but it’s got like 100 million online players from all over the planet—china, korea, bangladesh, iran (it was banned in iran, people still play it), all of europe (i play w/ a bunch w/ english dudes from bristol), a lot of africa, the americas, kiwis and aussies etc etc etc. everywhere. some clans (you play in “clans”) are national some are global etc.

it’s played in every country in the world

and i cannot tell you how many fucking players in that game call themselves CR7

from every fucking country. no joke.

chinese cr7, iranian cr7, arab cr7... even indian and pakistani cr7s even though they are more into cricket it seems. cr7 is *everywhere*

it’s a celebrity cult

a global brand

the cash potential is immense

you don’t see a lot of neymars though ha ha ha (well there are a lot just not as many as cr7)

cr7 and messi... you see them everywhere. but way more cr7s. fact.

(also: i particularly enjoy beating cr7s haaa haa haaa)
Old Today, 12:03 AM   #10460
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

haaaaa haaaa oh... just found this

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/18/juve...t-one-day.html

he put $6-9 mil in juve’s coffers in 24h? lol

here a more serious, 30% increased profits projected for juve

https://en.as.com/en/2018/07/17/foot...94_172879.html

share prices also saw an increase
423473513520521522 523
-->

All content 2006 Sonic Youth