Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café IV
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.16.2015, 12:52 AM   #621
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Because really, who the fuck cares about little shock-rappers and their sloth like journey into semi-maturity when Kanye and A$AP and Drake and Frank Ocean are all dropping new records this year?

I think of very little other than Kanye when it comes to music. There are some exciting new releases coming out this year, but Kanye has my full attention.

As I'm sure all of you know very very well by this point.
i think no one is ready for CHANCE THE RAPPER. his next solo project will be crazy.

Sunday Candy video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=i4ooH8frBWg

now this is on another level than both new OF projects, i agree.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2015, 09:08 AM   #622
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
how y'all gon overlook Earl like that though? dude is barely 21 and already has one of the best discographies out of every newcomer in the game.

each one of his projects was different and unique. EARL was a crazy display of technical rapping. he described Doris as his Chronic 2001 / Twisted Fantasy, which makes a lot sense to me. I Don't Like Shit is far from accessible, it requires more than one listen, but now i'm totally in love with the concept and the overall sound of this project, i respect him for the fact he produced the entire thing besides one track.

the proper successor to Doris will come out sooner or later, i'm sure. Earl hasn't even made his best statement yet.

I don't actually dislike Earl, but we've been over this- I'm sick of his schtik. I'm tired of his pompous, "oh wise one, Earl! Speaker of truth, slicer of bullshit! Knower of all things authentic and inauthentic! Oh Earl, wisest 21-year-old alive, how great thou art!"

Do any of you guys remember what YOU were like at 21? I thought I was a pretty no-nonsense son of a bitch too. I thought I was pretty adult. I was a full time know-it-all, playing in 3 bands, on editorial staff for two college publications. I fancied myself to be quite the little muckity muck, both artistically and academically.

And guess what? I was a gods-damned narcissistic fuckwad. And I did my fare share of growing up fast. A lot of us were probably in that boat. I had a tough home life, and I was pretty world-weary by the time I graduated from high school. But I was still FULL OF SHIT, and I see too much of that in Mr. Sweatshirt.

Is he talented? Gods yes. Some of his lyric are downright chilling. He has a poetic approach to writing rhymes, and I think he's genuinely trying to push himself. I respect his work behind the boards (not many young rappers with that much hype give a fuck about learning the rest of the process, because most of them are mascots for a label or A&R group looking to turn their artists into brand extensions. I think Earl is ahead of many of his peers in this regard, and I think he takes his music seriously.

But so much of his music and so much of his public persona is based on this "shouting the poetic truths of high-school journal keepers" mentality. In that Pitchfork interview that recently popped up, he talked about how his mother was "not about to call him up and start yelling"....

Why? Cause y'all are equals? You're fucking 21 years old! If your mother trusts you to behave like an adult, she's in denial! If you think you deserve to be treated like an adult (or trusted completely to make mature and healthy decisions) then you're goddamn deluded! No 21 year old male in the history of he universe had ever been truly mature.

So don't mistake my criticisms for hating... I LOVE Doris. Earl is very clearly an absurdly talented young man, but in the age of "emerging adulthood" theories on growth and development, when something like 40% of college grads are returning home for 12-36 months, and the only crises facing the youth is one of identity and and misplaced feelings of priviledge, I can't completely take a 21 year old who thinks so highly of himself seriously.

His records pack a punch, though. It's the person (and the attitude) that I have a problem with. The absolute refusal to write outside the comfort zone of bleak teenage angst rap.
I thought you were kinda on board with me on this one louder.

And I only say I (might) prefer Cherry Bomb because it's more musically adventurous. Earl's always been the better rapper, and I appreciate that he keeps his "faggots" and other pointless shock-lines to a slightly more tolerable minimum than Tyler does.

But ... Shit... I've been 21. I know how important the feelings of a 21 year old feel. I've also been 31, looking back at 21, thinking (a)"aw Jesus what the fuck was I smoking," and (b) how did I justify that kind of masturbatory ego-stroking conviction that I was somehow an adult?!"

(Answer:
(a) Lots and lots of things
(b) By playing adult.

His music is just something I wish he'd toy with a bit more. Have fun. The average rapper's career lasts-- what-- 10 years tops before they become cliches, charicarures of their old selves? I just want Earl to actually explore the real parameters of his ability.

He'd be an excellent pro-LGBT force in rap, for example. Coming from a crew that includes Frank Ocean or not, he's an open minded and intelligent YOUNG black male who could have a positive influence on a lot of people if he just pulled his head out of the one-eyed Jack-o-lantern called his spoiled prep school ass.

Just sayin
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2015, 09:31 AM   #623
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
i feel you. Doris was very impressive but Earl wasn't really himself on that album, it was more like him trying to impress people. the new album is a lot more Earl-like. i respect him for doing something different, i think he has all the reasons to think highly of himself. he could really stop taking himself so goddamn seriously and just make some fun music though, this already proved to work the best for him.

just listened to the "Barter 6". to put it straight, this album is trash in my opinion. which is a big letdown because The Tour Pt. 1 was one of my fav mixtapes last year. none of the features is even remotely interesting (for some reason Rich Homie Quan was absent from the album), the beats are repetitive and stale, and Young Thug himself sounds bored.

Weezy is gonna top this with ease. on to the next now.
Old 04.16.2015, 09:39 AM   #624
louder
invito al cielo

To Pimp a Butterfly is the only album that will end up in my top 10 so far. Curren$y, Lupe, Joey and Drake all put out decent albums which aren't gonna stick with me in the long run.
Old 04.16.2015, 09:39 AM   #625
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
He has a poetic approach to writing rhymes

I would hope everyone does. what other approach to rhyming is there?

"Street poetry is my every day." - Q-Tip
Old 04.16.2015, 01:29 PM   #626
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Ots simple. doris is a masterpiece, sonically and lyrically. This new shit is a let down by every definition. In art, its better to do nothing than go backwards

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2015, 02:19 PM   #627
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I really appreciate TPAB and all. But honestly I don't like it as much as GKMC or Section80. Just being straight up.

And y'all might think I'm weird, but I've found myself listening to the new Earl, new Drake, new Bronson, new Joey Bada$$ more than the new Kendrick.
Old 04.16.2015, 08:08 PM   #628
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Steve Albini tells JayZ fuck off..

Old 04.16.2015, 08:16 PM   #629
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

just listened to the "Barter 6". to put it straight, this album is trash in my opinion.

Dude, I was just about to write the same thing. I'm so glad you agree.

I mean.. For the love of fucking piss, THIS steaming piece of shit is all CM & Young Thug could slap together? What a fucking joke!!

It's like a really bad construction paper collage sloppily assembled by a couple 6 year olds who were high as fuck on rubber cement.

My jaw aches from sitting through the "BARTER" with my mouth hanging open. It's almost insultingly bad! I HATE that ridiculous style of slurred half-rapping that -- for some reason -- seems to take pride in cracking voices, out of key hollers, and incomprehensibility.

99% of that piece of shit album should have been edited out during mastering. It's a goddamn embarrassment.

So. There we have it... Young motherfuckin' Thug. The next big thing in terrible rap that makes me embarrassed to tell people that I'm into rap because no doubt the word itself will soon be synonymous with this fucking disappointment.

If rap fandom worked like mafia, someone would have ordered a hit on Young Thug by now.

ABISMAL.

I really want Wayne to drop a bomb on these cheesy fuckers now.
Old 04.16.2015, 08:27 PM   #630
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I would hope everyone does. what other approach to rhyming is there?

"Street poetry is my every day." - Q-Tip

Seriously?

You know that poetry, verse and song are all different things, yes?
And surely you realize that rhyme is just one of many tools used in poetry, and that "rhyme" alone doth not a poem make.

So to answer your question, song, verse, and "rhyming" in the hip-hop sense (slang for practicing the vocal art of rapping) are all examples of how one might use rhyme without explicitly writing poetry, or even being necessarily poetic.

Fuckin with me aren't you?
Old 04.16.2015, 08:47 PM   #631
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I really appreciate TPAB and all. But honestly I don't like it as much as GKMC or Section80. Just being straight up.

And y'all might think I'm weird, but I've found myself listening to the new Earl, new Drake, new Bronson, new Joey Bada$$ more than the new Kendrick.

You're not weird.

I mean, To Pimp a Butterfly is certainly my favorite hip hop album of 2015 so far, but I listened to it so much in the first week that I haven't had it back on since (not counting the appearances it makes during "shuffle" sessions on my iPod).

I also still like good kid, mAAd city better, but only because of the nostalgia, the time I've spent with it, the countless times I've blasted it from start to finish.

I think TPaB is a huge record, and possibly a turning point for hip hop as a whole. However, sometimes I just want to put on something badass and a little goofy and thug the fuck out I my way to work or whatever. So I listen to other albums more as well. Like, yeah- Action Bronson, the new Curren$y, Ghostface & BadBadNotGood...

And it may actually be that I prefer Lupe's Tetsuo & Youth to TPaB, if I'm being honest. I pretty much thought Lupe was done. To have him back and better than ever is a pretty fucking awesome thing. Kendrick's album was going to be a success no matter what. But Tetsuo is still kind of a mystery... I still wonder if Lupe "did" it. But whenever "Mural" gets pumping, it all becomes very clear indeed.
Old 04.17.2015, 04:29 AM   #632
louder
invito al cielo

i don't know, To Pimp a Butterfly still has fun songs that i can put on anytime like Hood Politics, Wesley's Theory, Alright, Momma.. i only consider like 5 songs from Good Kid to be on the same level as TPAB.
Old 04.17.2015, 10:51 AM   #633
louder
invito al cielo

http://pitchfork.com/news/59304-flam...h-miley-cyrus/

Flaming Lips and Ariel Pink on Miley's next album?? WOW.
Old 04.17.2015, 02:11 PM   #634
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
http://pitchfork.com/news/59304-flam...h-miley-cyrus/

Flaming Lips and Ariel Pink on Miley's next album?? WOW.

your enthusiasm is contagious.

cant say I like Miley because I don't. I don't like her music. I just don't like it. can't get on the Ciccone Youth train that says its ok to like pop stars. ironic, hip or not.

The Flamings Lips are fine. I enjoy their music sometimes. I even dug the Sergeant Pepper cover album and Yoshimi is my favorite, but like Miley I feel like they're asking people to hate on them....don't like that either. it's controversy.

so why don't they just shut up, get out of my fucking face and do what they do best... make music.

I live in a post-Nirvana world and I still don't understand it.

Miley can smoke all the blunts, give little children molly, and shoot birds in my face like kurt cobain all she wants, but that doesn't change the fact that her music sucks!!!!! she wants me to fuck off?.....I will.

this cross-over indie EDM, Pop, hip hop still confuses me. what's your fucking point you assholes? to desensitize me to music that's already happening with advertising.

you can claim it's just music, but it's not. it's ART. don't want to hear it everywhere I go and on my phone and TV.

FUCK YOU!!!! you stealers of sonics, craft, and tones.
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2015, 04:50 PM   #635
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Old 04.17.2015, 04:51 PM   #636
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

what did Madonna put in Drake's mouth? a ton of near-elderly saliva buildup?
Old 04.17.2015, 04:51 PM   #637
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Seriously?

You know that poetry, verse and song are all different things, yes?
And surely you realize that rhyme is just one of many tools used in poetry, and that "rhyme" alone doth not a poem make.

So to answer your question, song, verse, and "rhyming" in the hip-hop sense (slang for practicing the vocal art of rapping) are all examples of how one might use rhyme without explicitly writing poetry, or even being necessarily poetic.

Fuckin with me aren't you?

talking about RAP. RHYME IS EVERYTHING. RHYME makes a rap Not talking about poems in books.
Old 04.17.2015, 05:00 PM   #638
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

ever heard of the sexual practice of snowballing?
Old 04.17.2015, 05:21 PM   #639
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I don't get it, you want Kim but DON'T think Madonna is hot for an AARP chick? Wow..

Old 04.17.2015, 07:56 PM   #640
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

Drake? just ask these little assholes. they'll bore u to no end.
293031 32 3334354282 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth