Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The comic book thread of comic books
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.19.2017, 02:22 PM   #421
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
see you're still not selling me on Metal. I think I might kind of tired of 'events' lately anyway. I don't know. I'd probably be more interested if I didn't already have so much to read right now, and not enough time to read it. I'm playing catch-up on a lot of stuff that I love as it is.

The Vision art is obviously a taste thing. I really love it.

I'm totally picking up Mister Miracle #1 as soon as I can get to the comic shop. I may do that tomorrow if I have time. But yeah, next time I get there I'll pick it up, promise.
Old 10.19.2017, 05:02 PM   #422
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Well, there is a lot to wade through in Metal. Especially if you haven’t read Snyder and Capullo’s run on New 52 Batman (the “Court of Owls” arc, to which Metal is a long-delayed; and MUCh grander, follow-up). There are two rather dense prologue issues (The Forge and the Casting), both of which are kinda meh, and honestly didn’t really sell me on anything... they feature art by John Romita Jr., who is actually one of my favorite artists in comics, but I absolutely LOATHE the way he draws Batman. Not lithe or derailed enough... too blocky for the character, kind of like his equally off-base drawing of Spider-Man (characters he draws well include Thor, Daredevil, Superman, the Eternals, Hulk, etc.)

But... once Batman disappears from the whole thing (which happens near the end of Dark Nights: Metal #2 I think) and the tie-ins — single issues focusing on the various Dark Multiverse incarnations of Bats, how they came to be, andhow they were tracked down and recruited by the Batman Who Laughs (Joker-Batman) and his master, the dark cosmic deity Barbatos (basically Spectre-Batman, a creature older than time), it really gets good.

The issue that just came out for instance, Batman: The Drowned; is about the Batman/Awuaman character (who is a woman, so... kind of a Bat-Aqua-Man-Woman?) is just PHENOMENAL. A genuinely great story about a really intriguing character.

Ad next up is the Ares/Batman mashup, the Merciless. Then the Doomsday/Batman, the Devastator.

I think some of these characters might end up sticking around after Metal is over. The Drownedis VERY popular, and frankly it’s one of the best comics featuring Aquaman that I’ve ever read.

Anyhoo... you could probably skip the preludes and start with Dark Nights: Metal 1, and judt read the intro paragraph to catch up on those boring Romita-drawn issues.

But... Mister Miracle is really the best thing happening in DC right now. That and Action Comics, which is dealing with Mr. Oz, and swiftly moving toward the beginning of DOOMSDAY CLOCK, which is absolutely not something you’re going to want to miss.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2017, 05:04 PM   #423
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I just picked up The Mighty Thor #700, which features the death of Jane Foster and Odinson’s return to the mantle of Thor. It’s 50 pages, and I haven’t started it yet, but it’s drawn by Walter Simonson, so I am so totally down. It’s part of the whole “Legacy” thing.

ALSO: Deadpool vs. Old Man Logan started this week. I haven’t read it yet, but it’s one I inagine you will be all over.
Old 10.19.2017, 05:21 PM   #424
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I will def read Doomsday Clock.

Thor 700 looks good.

Too many Deadpool miniseries to keep up with. Deadpool v Punisher was kind of meh. Think my fav Deadpool story this year was Til Death Do Us. That was pretty great.
Old 10.19.2017, 08:20 PM   #425
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I will def read Doomsday Clock.

Thor 700 looks good.

Too many Deadpool miniseries to keep up with. Deadpool v Punisher was kind of meh. Think my fav Deadpool story this year was Til Death Do Us. That was pretty great.

Old Man Logan is great though. Honestly got me back into Wolverine. Not just the original book, but the current ongoing series.

The Deadpool stuff is gimmicky, but so is most of what Marvel does.
I never even read Edge of Venomverse. Is that still a thing? Eh. Who cares.

BTW: I’ve taken a several month break from SAGA because it’s SO good that I can’t stand reading a little pinch at a time. Gonna wait for the next TPB to come out.
Old 10.19.2017, 08:57 PM   #426
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Yeah Venomverse is still happening. Haven't read a page of it.
Old 10.20.2017, 05:09 AM   #427
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah Venomverse is still happening. Haven't read a page of it.

Neither have I. I am just not a Venom guy. Don’t give a fuck about him/it/blah. Some of the character designs for Venomized Marvel heroes were cool though. Others were nah.
Old 10.20.2017, 07:09 AM   #428
noisereductions
invito al cielo

see, I actually do "like" Venom, in that I think he (well, it) can be used rather interestingly. That said, I don't necessarily want Venom to be the star of a story. Rather I want Venom to a part of someone else's story.

Most recently the alien-goop took over MJ in Renew Your Vows and it was just a really interesting bit... that sadly was rushed through in just two issues where it could have been explored way better in like six. Oh well.
Old 10.21.2017, 10:58 AM   #429
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
see, I actually do "like" Venom, in that I think he (well, it) can be used rather interestingly. That said, I don't necessarily want Venom to be the star of a story. Rather I want Venom to a part of someone else's story.

Most recently the alien-goop took over MJ in Renew Your Vows and it was just a really interesting bit... that sadly was rushed through in just two issues where it could have been explored way better in like six. Oh well.

Yeah, I guess I like the symbiotes (what’s the main one’s name? Kvyntar? Some shit?) but I don’t care for most of the Venom-centric stories. Like when Venom rebooted last year, it was all about this totally ‘90s d-bag thug with slicked back hair who was an Afghanistan vet who wanted to use the symbiotic to take over the stupid Spider-Man underworld (run by fucking Black Cat of all lame asses), and it was just meathead bullshit. The cool stuff was when the symbiote had conversations with the dude, and fought him and eventually brought him down.

Then Eddi Brock re-entered the picture and I was like, “I officially do not give two fucks.”

I liked the Flash Thompson good-guy Venom who was with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

But... meh.
Old 10.21.2017, 11:00 AM   #430
Severian
invito al cielo

I can’t belive they’re really making a Venom movie. Starting the guy who played Bane. Seriously, is Tom Hardy the only guy with muscles who can also act? I think this bullshit is beneath him. The movie is going to suck nut. I honestly can’t even begin to understand why an actor of such exquisite taste and ability would take such a horrendous role.

Let Dwayne Johnson be Venom. That sounds perfectly stupid!
Old 10.21.2017, 11:54 AM   #431
Severian
invito al cielo

Just finished the first Vision book, NR.

I’m warming to the art, as I think it works for the story. It’s oddly reminiscent of certain illustrated children’s/young adult books in the ‘90s. Like... kinda dark and fucked up ones. I can’t remember any of the names of these books, but they involved scary stories and cautionary tales. Maybe it’s the same guy/gal drawing?

Anyway, I definitely don’t think this book would have worked with, like, Jim Lee art, or anything resembling the shiny, idealized “superhero” stuff from the big books.

I’m in awe of Tom King’s writing. Just in absolute awe.

Moving onto book 2 now.

HOW’S MISTER MIRACLE COMING ALONG?!?!?!?!
Old 10.23.2017, 07:46 AM   #432
noisereductions
invito al cielo

been sick all weekend, so catching up on all your responses now haha.

Quote:
I can’t belive they’re really making a Venom movie. Starting the guy who played Bane. Seriously, is Tom Hardy the only guy with muscles who can also act? I think this bullshit is beneath him. The movie is going to suck nut. I honestly can’t even begin to understand why an actor of such exquisite taste and ability would take such a horrendous role.

Let Dwayne Johnson be Venom. That sounds perfectly stupid!

I mean, I'm gonna see it because it's interesting to me that it's even being made. But yeah the casting felt weird to me because well, he's already Bane. I just feel like putting him in another comic book movie as someone else I'm gonna be sitting there like "why is Bane Venom now?" instead of just getting lost in it.

The Rock would have been awesome actually. Haha. The dude is highly entertaining and kind of a perfect fit for such a character.

Quote:
Just finished the first Vision book, NR.

I’m warming to the art, as I think it works for the story. It’s oddly reminiscent of certain illustrated children’s/young adult books in the ‘90s. Like... kinda dark and fucked up ones. I can’t remember any of the names of these books, but they involved scary stories and cautionary tales. Maybe it’s the same guy/gal drawing?

Anyway, I definitely don’t think this book would have worked with, like, Jim Lee art, or anything resembling the shiny, idealized “superhero” stuff from the big books.

I’m in awe of Tom King’s writing. Just in absolute awe.

Moving onto book 2 now.

HOW’S MISTER MIRACLE COMING ALONG?!?!?!?!

hey glad you're enjoying it man. I still need to pick up Director's Cut #3 (which is issues 5 and 6) to finish the first book myself.

I had planned to get to the comic shop this weekend, but being sick knocked me on my ass. Trust, I have quite the lengthy shopping list at this point...

Anyway, I read a few things while lying around feeling like crap. I finally read through the Batman/Aliens collection that I have. (Also known simply as DC & Dark Horse Aliens). The book consists of: Batman/Aliens, Batman/Aliens II, Superman & Batman Vs Aliens & Predator, and WildCATS/Aliens.

Honestly, it was mostly bad. The best stuff was the straight up Batman/Aliens stuff. The second story was seemingly the better until the end when it gets so GD silly. Art was nice. The Supes/Bats story was crap, though. Boring writing, lifeless art.

Overall, not a book I'd recommend. And you know that I'm the type to say "sure, yeah, through a Xenomorph into anything and I'll be into it."
Old 10.23.2017, 07:58 AM   #433
noisereductions
invito al cielo

hey dude, this article makes King's use of Kite Man actually pretty friggin interesting...

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/19/1...ng-bill-finger
Old 10.23.2017, 01:03 PM   #434
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
hey dude, this article makes King's use of Kite Man actually pretty friggin interesting...

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/19/1...ng-bill-finger

Yeah, I *get* it dude. It’s smart, it’s potent, it’s just the right mix of kitschy and serious... but goddammit, I don’t care! I wanted to see the Joker eat the Riddler’s family. I wanted some shit to Go. The Fuck. Down. I wanted a great crime saga to unfold, and ultimately I wanted Batman to be a supporting character in story about villains. I did not want a Charles the-fuck-Brown interlude and a bunch of other bullshit.

I’ve been sick too.
Really fucking sick actually.
Old 12.19.2017, 02:40 PM   #435
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Most of my reading this year has been graphic novels through digital comics. The last non-graphic novel I read was Joe Hill's The Fireman, this year I've bought books 3&4 of Locke & Key, Vol.1-2 from American Vampire, and 3 volumes of Saga of The Swamp Thing.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2017, 05:52 PM   #436
Severian
invito al cielo

DOOMSDAY CLOCK IS OUT (since Nov. 22) AND FUCKING AWESOME

DARK KNIGHTS METAL #4 JUST CAME OUT AND IS FUCKING AWESOME

I kinda feel like I’m the only one who reads comics enough to talk about them regularly here.

Oh, NR, there’s a new BATMAN/TMNT crossover out now, and they’re going up against Bane. Looks ok.
Old 12.21.2017, 04:30 AM   #437
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses

there's a graphic novel made out of Nick Cave! It's a very free form biography, based more on his songs and reputation than on his actual life. I have it, but haven't read it yet. The fonts are too freaking small, I'm getting old and should need glasses apparently. But it looks very cool.

The author is Reinhard Kleist, the title is Mercy On Me. Original language is German, but there's an English translation as well.

(P.S.: sorry Sev for stealing your thread )

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2017, 10:38 AM   #438
Severian
invito al cielo

What were the year’s best titles in comics?

Hmm.

Single-issue wise, I’d have trouble deciding between Batman #23 (Swamp Thing one-shot), Marvel Legacy #1, The Mighty Thor #700, Doomsday Clock #1, The Batman’s who Laughs #1, and any (literally... any) of the issues of Mister Miracle written this year.

Series-wise, SAGA of course, Mister Miracle... probably one of those two. Also Dark Knights Metal, Black Bolt, Monstress... I dunno. Worth thinking about, maybe.
Old 12.21.2017, 05:15 PM   #439
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_

(P.S.: sorry Sev for stealing your thread )

What? Which one? The best new/most anticipated albums?

Yeah you should be you fucker!

Couldn’t even think of a new name! I am grudgin’ on you big time. Consider my only making THIS big a deal of it an act of great kindness and friendship.
Old 01.20.2018, 04:22 PM   #440
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
My brother has been gifting me with some sweet comics lately, as if I wasn't juggling enough between Locke & Key(which I just bought book 5)Saga of Swamp Thing, and American Vampire, he went and gave me Spawn Volume 1, Book 1 of The Dark Tower comic, and book one of The Stand comic.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
192021 22
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth