Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Bad Moon Rising.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.09.2006, 03:39 PM   #21
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
I usually say it's my favorite to gain supah cred. But beyond cred ity's the only one that's always been in my top 3 so I give ti props where due. I recently got it back from ym friend and we smoked a few bowls to it in ym car. When we got to Im insane it was awesome. There's a guitar in the background that sounds like a little machione monsters clankin around and wreakin havoc. It can be heard else where but set to im insane's jam and thruston's awesomely odd vocal delivery, it makes for my fav track on the record.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 05:33 PM   #22
AbsentDadaSezFuckOff
little trouble girl

AbsentDadaSezFuckOff is just really niceAbsentDadaSezFuckOff is just really niceAbsentDadaSezFuckOff is just really niceAbsentDadaSezFuckOff is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal
love that album to bits but satan is borign is one of the worst sy songs ever imo.
favourite song gotta be intro + brave men (i love 'intro')

Satan is Boring is about some kids who got fucked up listening to Heavy Metal and one shot the other, I think it's that whole thing where they put Judas Priest on trial for the subliminal "DO IT"s in some song. I'm pretty sure Judas Priest won the case.
AbsentDadaSezFuckOff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 05:54 PM   #23
cura
empty page

cura has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Il ove it I love it I love it!!!

I'm insane, Brave men run, Society is a hole, Flower...

Love every one on that album!!! x)
cura is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 02:18 AM   #24
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Lol I was just about to make a 'Bad Moon Rising' thead! Yeah It took ages for me to get into this album, but now its definently one of my favourites. I love everything about it. 'Society is a hole', 'I love her all the time' and 'Satan is Boring' (I can see why some might not like it though) are for me among the best things SY have written. I can only imagine what it felt like when this album came out (anyone here old enough to remember it coming out?), groundbreaking doesnt begin to describe it! Oh and it has to be mentioned the cover art is mindblowing!
Old 07.10.2006, 02:27 AM   #25
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
my favorite is halloweeeeeeeeeen
Old 07.10.2006, 05:00 AM   #26
Robo J.
empty page

Robo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's assesRobo J. kicks all y'all's asses
C'mon... no one chose "Death Valley '69"

It's one of the most significant songs of that "era" for them. It changed them, musically. Not to mention it's one of the rare moments when there's a guest singer. It puts the finishing touch on probably their darkest, scariest, and forboding albums (I dare you to find one darker).

It's also a cool moment on the album. You have the first side a continuous piece of music (on the vinyl version), and the second side follows the same formula. But, right before the last song, it stops. and then...
(click, click, click, click) "AHHHHHHHHHHHH"

"Death Valley '69"

Don't get me wrong, the whole album is great, but THAT song...

wow.
Robo J. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 01:03 PM   #27
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo J.
C'mon... no one chose "Death Valley '69"

It's one of the most significant songs of that "era" for them. It changed them, musically. Not to mention it's one of the rare moments when there's a guest singer. It puts the finishing touch on probably their darkest, scariest, and forboding albums (I dare you to find one darker).

It's also a cool moment on the album. You have the first side a continuous piece of music (on the vinyl version), and the second side follows the same formula. But, right before the last song, it stops. and then...
(click, click, click, click) "AHHHHHHHHHHHH"

"Death Valley '69"

Don't get me wrong, the whole album is great, but THAT song...

wow.

For sure, Death Valley '69 is a killer track.........Lydia Lunch is another one of my favorite musicians, and her voice adds a gothic energy to that song. But I usually try to separate the rest of BMR from that particular track because I assume that most everybody enjoys that song. So when I want to know what people think about the album, I want to know what the masses think of the lesser known songs (in some aspects). Don't get me wrong.....I agree with everything you said about the track. It feels as though all of the previous songs are just anticipating Death Valley '69............and when it hits............It's a fucking train crash. Lydia's wail at the end always sends me shivers. True beauty destruction at its best.

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 01:09 PM   #28
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
it's a brilliant album
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 03:04 PM   #29
eatmychild
children of satan

eatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asses
Deffinitely my favorite album, I first listened to it stoned and it made me even more stoned.
Old 07.10.2006, 03:18 PM   #30
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
A great album. Toxic Johnny nails it. It's got that late fall vibe. And I'm envious of the vinyl, you know, lucky bastard.

It's really great to play late at night, all the lights out, nobody else up, quiet outside. Can get spooky.
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 06:56 PM   #31
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
A great album. Toxic Johnny nails it. It's got that late fall vibe. And I'm envious of the vinyl, you know, lucky bastard.

It's really great to play late at night, all the lights out, nobody else up, quiet outside. Can get spooky.

Yeah thats when i listen to it too! All the albums up too 'Dirty' are meant to be listened to at night. I Just turn all the lights off (apart from my pc screen)
light a candle or two and chill out in my room to 'Bad Moon Risng'. Its how its meant to be listened to
Old 07.10.2006, 09:38 PM   #32
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
Awesome album all around. The music is amazing as are the lyrics. I think its one of the most varied albums (along with EVOL) in terms of being noisy, relaxed and rocking all at once.

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 09:40 PM   #33
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
great album, would have been even better if death valley 69 wasnt on there and satan is boring closed it...
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 09:46 PM   #34
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
What?! DV69 is definitely essential to BMR...its like the entire album sorta builds up to that track.

Old 07.10.2006, 09:48 PM   #35
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisemachine
What?! DV69 is definitely essential to BMR...its like the entire album sorta builds up to that track.

I was saying that same thing in my mind but I try to be as openminded as possible.

Old 07.10.2006, 11:10 PM   #36
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
Death Valley 69 is too rock for that album. Very overrated. The lyrics are sort of lame....
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 11:12 PM   #37
lovesonicevol
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
Death Valley 69 is too rock for that album. Very overrated. The lyrics are sort of lame....

I can see where youre coming from. DV69 would fit better on the Halloween EP I think.

Old 07.10.2006, 11:43 PM   #38
noisemachine
100%

Its a lot different from the other tracks but thats why I think it makes for such an explosive ending.

Old 07.11.2006, 02:13 AM   #39
matt reeder
little trouble girl

matt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's asses
I Love Her All the Time is pure genius. I would give an internal organ to hear it live.
matt reeder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 08:15 AM   #40
Blandkind
empty page

Blandkind has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
The album really is probably their darkest musically. The intro sounds mildly cheerful but after that it changes. It took me a little while to fully appreciate the album but I really love it. It has a truly unique feel to it. Also love the booklet with the shots of them in the woods
Blandkind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth