Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Any websites to find local bands/what is the best way to find them
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.04.2009, 11:57 PM   #1
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
I live in eastern Kentucky.. not only am I lacking in concerts when it comes to famous bands, my LOCAL scene ain't too much better ya know.. Normally the bands that are formed here are REALLY BAD screamo bands, it's just, oh god, horrendous. What are some ways to find good local bands online, or, if not online, for anyone here who supports local music, how did you personally find out about those bands?

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2009, 12:00 AM   #2
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
by not using the internet and going to the pubs and seeing bands... i too live in a small town but there are plenty of bands to go and see...
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2009, 12:43 AM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

www.myspace.com
www.rateyourmusic.com

Both have "local searches" for bands. Pretty simple.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2009, 01:30 AM   #4
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
by not using the internet and going to the pubs and seeing bands... i too live in a small town but there are plenty of bands to go and see...

there aren't any bars where i live. like seriously. the county doesn't allow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

www.myspace.com
www.rateyourmusic.com

Both have "local searches" for bands. Pretty simple.

where exactly do i go on RYM to do a local search?

Old 05.05.2009, 01:43 AM   #5
dntrecords
children of satan

dntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's asses
definitely "IRL" is the best way. go to any local record store, look for flyers around town, ask people that look 'cool', go door to door if you have to. the internet should always be a last resort, for everything
dntrecords is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2009, 01:46 AM   #6
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
I live in eastern Ky too and since I particularly don't live near any of the larger cities there isn't much to speak of concerning interesting local bands. Most of the ones that were any interesting are defunct or whatever. There were the Dig-Its from Huntington WV(a stones throw basically from the KY border) who were this rockabilly punk whatever you wanna call it. They were pretty alright, dunno if they're still together. Guess they are after a brief myspace search, they sound alot different than I remember though. The rockabilly aspect has diminished alot. Not as good as I remembered.

http://www.myspace.com/thedigitssuperrock

There was Syphilis Death Squad which was a death metal band. They were pretty good. The guitar player was in a wheelchair. Um, FUD was probably the best one from that Huntington crowd. They were a synth/drum rock band that had songs about two brothers fucking, robin williams jacking off in cups of tea, getting handjobs at myrtle beach, stuff like that. I saw them play, people always throw food at them, fun to see.

Um, there's this ok band from Morehead, Ky called Old One. They're like a crappier Lightning Bolt meets Sunn. Kind of interesting I guess.
http://www.myspace.com/oldonemusic

The rest are mostly like you said lame screamo/emo bands. Like Broken Shadows and a bunch of no name defunct ones. I could name a ton more, but it'd be worthless. Most of them were just kids I knew from high school and they stank and didn't really do much. My band was the only one to survive all that, but we've only done two shows and haven't expanded much on that yet.

Um, then there's a bunch of those country/bluegrass outfits. Sasha Colette is one of the more prolific ones I guess. She does alot of shows.

I dunno, there are a number of bands dinking around, but almost none of them do shows.
Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2009, 01:51 AM   #7
summer
stalker

Broken Shadows is an AWFUL band, thank you.
I think I've heard of Sasha Colette. If she's good, I'll check it out. Like, I'm all for the "homegrown" stuff as long as it doesn't.. suck. I mean, bluegrass is a genre that is really iffy for me. I love the sound of banjo/mandolin, but the singers are normally like.. old men who sound like they're ready to die.. and it's just absolutely no fun. 98.9 once played this great bluegrass song, actually, but they're dumbasses and don't tell what the name of the song is they play 90% of the time, sooo that's lost.

Also, to dntrecords, there really aren't any local record stores here, unless I just haven't found them.. all I've ever had to buy music is Wal-Mart.

Old 05.05.2009, 01:57 AM   #8
dntrecords
children of satan

dntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer
Also, to dntrecords, there really aren't any local record stores here, unless I just haven't found them.. all I've ever had to buy music is Wal-Mart.

bummer, summer. I used to live in a city like that. only there was at least this one mediocre record store in the mall that had classic punk and whatnot
dntrecords is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2009, 02:09 AM   #9
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, Broken Shadows are pretty awful. They did a free show once a couple of years ago at the ampitheatre in our town. And a couple of my friends bands were playing too. I only go down there just to play their drums, but anyway, saw them. Yeah they were really bad.

Sasha's alright. Likeable stuff. It's not really my thing, but I can appreciate it.

Myspace used to be really neat for local band browsing. Just go to the music search page, set your city, leave the rest blank. Used to work really well. Not really anymore. The next best thing is using that top artists function and leave it blank except for state and postal code. But you still get alot of shit in that too.
Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2009, 03:29 PM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
http://rateyourmusic.com/location/

And then type in your location. For example, mine would be:

http://rateyourmusic.com/location/Co...nited%20States

Oh look, Scissor Shock is the # 1 artist!

Old 05.05.2009, 03:59 PM   #11
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, look at all the Kentuckians here! I lived in Lexington from birth till 2006, and I'm probably going to be moving back this summer.

(BTW, I didn't move far; I'm still in Kentucky, right outside of Cincinnati)

Lexington has some good bands, although I don't know if they are still in tact (a nation wide problem with trying to find local bands).

Good Lexington bands/groups/artists:
http://www.myspace.com/thescourgeofthesea
http://www.myspace.com/chicofellini
http://www.myspace.com/emilyhagihara
http://www.myspace.com/sexualdisasterquartet

EDIT: I just listened to the first song by Sexual Disaster Quartet... I don't know what that is, but it's not the SDQ that I know... listen to the second song, it's a little better
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2009, 05:56 PM   #12
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Tight Leather was good, not screamo, kind of psychedelic/noise/indie rock.

They changed their name to jovontaes or something weird, seems to be a reverse name change in my opinion. I would have changed it to tight leather if it was jovontaes. Either way they are nice dudes and their music is good.

out of lexington.

Or you can drive up to Cincinnati and see my band, The Harlequins. Not saying we're the god damn shit, but there's no other band in the city like us, everyone else is still trying to ride that greenhornes train, or just rippin off mgmt.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2009, 06:00 PM   #13
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth