Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SY album cover art — greatest?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.19.2007, 03:55 PM   #61
sarramkrop

Lot 32, "Drei Kerzen" by Gerhard Richter, oil on canvas, 49 1/4 by 59 1/2 inches, 1982
Whereas Christie's has several very good works in different styles by Gerhard Richter (b. 1932) in its Post-War auction this week (see The City Review article on the Post-War evening auction May 16, 2001 at Christie's), this auction offers yet another dimension to his oeuvre with Lot 32, "Drei Kerzen," a 49 ¼-by-59 ½-inch oil on canvas that was executed in 1982. The painting of three lit candles against a dark background has been consigned from the Collection of Camille Oliver-Hoffmann and has an ambitious estimate of $4,000,000 to $6,000,000. It sold $5,395,750, breaking the previous world auction record for Richter of $4,956,000.
The catalogue provides the following commentary on this lot:
"Arguably, more than any other artist, Richter has developed the art of painting; blurring the boundaries between form and content, between Sign and Signifier on the canvas. Richter's concern was not so much how to make marks, but why one should develop such marks in the context of an antagonism between representation and re-presentation. The only reality was not the image, but the process. For Richter, painting became an ethereal exploration, with the canvas as the laboratory; his tools thus became the means to conjure some of the most magical images of this period.The dialogue between painterly abstraction and romanticized realism related to photography is best exemplified in the series of 32 works depicting skulls and candles, executed by Richter between 1982 and 1983. Drei Kerzen, the largest of these examples and the only canvas to depict three candles, must be seen as a seminal work in Richter's oeuvre. Like Rembrandt's famous etching of the three trees, the candles, combined with Richter's delicious interplay of light and shade, is reminiscent of the Crucifixion scene. This sense of fate links the Candle paintings to the Romantic overtones first expressed in Richter's Nature paintings at the end of the1960s.Richter's Drei Kerzen, cannot therefore be read literally as a Still Life. The image becomes the vehicle for a more interesting investigation into the veracity of `realistic images', and an exploration into the role of light in painting.the present work is a masterpiece of tonal interplay. The fluid, liquid brushwork, so tightly controlled by Richter, is mesmerizing. This wonderfully poised and precise canvas, executed with a stunning refinement of technique and a rare impact of vision, stands out as a masterpiece."
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 05:22 PM   #62
Massassinated
bad moon rising

Massassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's asses
1/ Evol
2/ Nurse
3/ Murray St
Old 03.19.2007, 08:17 PM   #63
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
I love the EVOL cover - and id say its my favourite as ive just always found it arresting. Mind you Sonic Nurse is a close second and technically better on a lot of levels. I like SY album covers though all in all - but those two stand out to me.

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 08:36 PM   #64
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses

These are the 2 most Iconic for me, the covers represent everything I love about SY's Music

Honourable mention: Made In USA, Goo, Dirty, Washing Machine, Sonic Nurse
Old 03.20.2007, 01:31 AM   #65
something
bad moon rising

something kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's asses
i like the bad moon rising cuz it reminds me of home but id have to say either nyc ghosts and flowers or rather ripped

http://www.myspace.com/usedtoaster
something is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 03:17 AM   #66
ahhavalon
little trouble girl

ahhavalon ain't too shabby
Goo is great- Pettibon is a genius.
I really like DDN and Sonic Nurse, too.
ahhavalon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 03:41 AM   #67
kaka
empty page

kaka is a glorious beacon of lightkaka is a glorious beacon of lightkaka is a glorious beacon of lightkaka is a glorious beacon of lightkaka is a glorious beacon of lightkaka is a glorious beacon of light
my fave is <dirty>,cause of <sugar cane>
kaka is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 02:23 PM   #68
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
This would make a really good poll, but I guess there are too many albums....

Murray Street's cover is brilliant.

And Daydream Nation.
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 05:58 AM   #69
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
I like The Whitey Album cover very much by the way.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 08:07 AM   #70
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmoud Mokhtar
no it actually sucks balls

okay answer this, what the hell are we talkign about?
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 08:09 AM   #71
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Hey king, you know this bastard ?

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 09:06 AM   #72
real_inhuman
empty page

real_inhuman has a brilliant futurereal_inhuman has a brilliant futurereal_inhuman has a brilliant futurereal_inhuman has a brilliant futurereal_inhuman has a brilliant futurereal_inhuman has a brilliant futurereal_inhuman has a brilliant futurereal_inhuman has a brilliant futurereal_inhuman has a brilliant futurereal_inhuman has a brilliant futurereal_inhuman has a brilliant future
EVOL - it's so inhuman
real_inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 11:04 PM   #73
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
I always thought Bad Moon Rising was awesome. I used to think it would be better if the scarecrow were burning instead of it's head exploding, but now I'm not sure.
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 11:12 PM   #74
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Bad Moon Rising, but Confusion is Sex is really close. Sonic Nurse would be the best recent one.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2007, 07:45 AM   #75
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
BMR

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth