Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim Gordon - too glam? Discussion on NPR!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.27.2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
ok this is sort of gossipy but caught my eye, women critics discuss music scene and Kim Gordon comes up : link here: http://www.npr.org/music/npr_music_chat.html

11:52
Lainad:
I really have an issue with how some metal / hardcore guys can essentally get away with being unwashed slobs in a photo but knowing that the most talented woman musician would never be able to get away with that. Never.
Thursday August 26, 2010

11:53
Ann Powers:
Carrie Underwood on the other hand, had to put on the hot pants at a certain point. Or felt she had to.
Thursday August 26, 2010

Amanda Petrusich:
Exactly, Ann. It seems like there are very few roads around that for women artists.
Thursday August 26, 2010

Maura Johnston:
I agree, Cortney. But I think that's in part because this is a culture where everyone's a paparazzo... the visual has overtaken so much else (look at the frequent disconnect between "popular" female musicians in the gossip press and on the radio)
Thursday August 26, 2010

Frannie (NPR Music):
Does your appearance affect your work at all? Do you ever dress a certain way to get a certain result?
Thursday August 26, 2010

Ann Powers:
Years ago, the first time I saw Sonic Youth, I was astounded at how dirty Kim Gordon looked. I mean, like she hadn't washed her hair in weeks. It was extremely liberating. Yet she too glammed up
Thursday August 26, 2010

Prof. Maureen Mahon:
Women always have to think about their sexuality and the image they project on stage. Even if the choice is to downplay it, they have to spend time considering it. And women in music and everywhere else are judged a lot on looks.
Thursday August 26, 2010

Prof. Tricia Rose:
This is not to say that women who rely on sexuality to remain viable are bad or are not smart and amazing- they are both. I love Dolly-- and many others, I am just describing this as a limit and a point of containment, because it is. Many people use the tools that have been designed to contain them to find pockets of freedom. And, the promotion of self via a highly public sexuality should be a choice - not a requirement.
Thursday August 26, 2010

11:54
Ann Powers:
Tricia, yes very true. In jazz, for example, a player like Esperanza Spalding may be a virtuoso, but she's getting attention at least in part because she is a fox. That's unfair to her.
Thursday August 26, 2010

11:55
Lainad:
I have witnessed a handful of women metal journalists who are really playing the "groupie" role to gain access. this really upset me, but I am about 15 years older than these women and I am hoping that they will grow out of it.
Thursday August 26, 2010

Amanda Petrusich:
There's a really weird sense of betrayal when women artists suddenly "glam up" -- I
Thursday August 26, 2010

Lara Pellegrinelli:
And there are still many writers in the jazz community who are dismissive of Esperanza.
Thursday August 26, 2010

Amanda Petrusich:
I'm thinking of Joanna Newsom.
Thursday August 26, 2010

Ann Powers:
Oh, Joanna......sigh
Thursday August 26, 2010

Lara Pellegrinelli:
There are writers who have intimated that she has too much self-confidence and hasn't paid her dues.
Thursday August 26, 2010

11:56
Ann Powers:
I couldn't believe when she was criticizing Gaga for being too much about surfaces, and just the week before I'd seen her perform in a gown with huge cutouts showing off her gorgeous skin and curves
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2010, 11:06 AM   #2
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
BS its called growing up not glaming up. I used to wear boys clothes too until I grew up and wanted to be more feminine feeling.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2010, 11:48 AM   #3
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
It's also called being a Mom and setting an example for Coco.
Old 08.27.2010, 01:22 PM   #4
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
ann powers, now there is an exercise in useless opinion
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth