Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café VI
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.22.2017, 11:20 AM   #1001
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

and Young Thug is the best in the game right now.

You are ridiculous.
You’re a ridiculous person.
You know nothing of which you speak. You are very either very silly, or deliberately contrarian to the point of self-sabotage.

Kendrick La-motherfucking-mar is obviously the best in the game right now. In fact, I don’t think there’s been such an obvious “best” in the true rap world since 2pac. And you think Slobbermouth McSlioperyPussy has something — anything — on Kendrick’s epic, labyrinthine flows?

That’s upsetting and ridiculous. You’re a ridiculius person.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2017, 11:24 AM   #1002
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
** NOTE: Rob also fancies himself a literary fellow, but abhors both Charles Dickens and Gabriel García Márquez.

This is important to remember. If it’s legitimately brilliant, and acknowledged as such by the masses, Rob will dislike it apparently out of principle. Hence this nonsense about Future being better than Kanye or Thugger being ... oh my god... better than ... (Jesus, can’t bekieve I’m saying his) Kendrick. Haaaaaaaaa-hahahaha!
Old 12.22.2017, 11:27 AM   #1003
Severian
invito al cielo

Also, it’s trap drums like crazy all over that new Travis and Quavo thing. Skittering, bap-bap, skittering, bap-bap... I agree Travis isn’t *splely* trap, but there’s trap shit all over this new thing.

Something can be two things too. Like both psychedelic and trap. That argument is downright pint sized. Like saying “that’s not rock, it’s punk!” or somesuch.
Old 12.22.2017, 03:05 PM   #1004
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Louder...

Have you heard Moses Sumney’s “Afromanticism?” It’s certainly not hip-hop, but it’s dripping with some weird soul shit I think you would dig.
Yeah, that was a nice album. When I saw the cover art I was expecting some D'Angelo meeting FKA twigs sounds.. but it's actually more ambient-y, which is refreshing.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2017, 04:02 PM   #1005
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
** NOTE: Rob also fancies himself a literary fellow, but abhors both Charles Dickens and Gabriel García Márquez.

This is important to remember. If it’s legitimately brilliant, and acknowledged as such by the masses, Rob will dislike it apparently out of principle. Hence this nonsense about Future being better than Kanye or Thugger being ... oh my god... better than ... (Jesus, can’t bekieve I’m saying his) Kendrick. Haaaaaaaaa-hahahaha!

hahahahahhaha

I do NOT fancy myself a Literature fellow! I read very little fiction!

I never said Young Thug was better than Kendrick. I said he is the bets rapper around currently. His songs are endlessly more innovative and fun than Kendrick that's for sure.
Old 12.22.2017, 04:03 PM   #1006
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Q-Tip has stated himself that Young Thug is the best in the game right now.
Old 12.23.2017, 12:18 AM   #1007
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Q-Tip has stated himself that Young Thug is the best in the game right now.

Uh huh... that makes it 0% more true, and Q-Tip 100% more wrong about who the best rapper is.

Ridiculous contrarian ridiculousness.
Old 12.23.2017, 12:19 AM   #1008
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
hahahahahhaha

I do NOT fancy myself a Literature fellow! I read very little fiction!

I never said Young Thug was better than Kendrick. I said he is the bets rapper around currently. His songs are endlessly more innovative and fun than Kendrick that's for sure.

Oh forgive me. You didn’t say Thug’s better than Kendrick, just that he’s the best rapper in the game and is more innovative and interesting.

BAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

IT’S THE SAME BEAT IN EVERY SONG BRO.

THE RAPPING IS DRUNK-GUY SLURRING BULLSHIT!

You’re trolling. There’s no way you’re serious.
Old 12.23.2017, 12:41 AM   #1009
Severian
invito al cielo

You’re looking at the Chicago Bulls circa 95/96 and saying “Fuck that Jordan guy. Dennis Rodman is the talented one!”

That’s what you’re doing.

Goddamn man.
Old 12.23.2017, 02:47 PM   #1010
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, what is it with run the jewels? Listened to 3 and it's good, well-made, not crap. And yet almost entirely without interest. Weird.
-----
Listened to Logic's under pressure. Frustrating. Impressive skills, but almost never changes up his flow so it gets pretty boring after awhile. And we get it dude. You had a rough childhood. Anything else to say? No IDs production is more interesting than the rapper.
----
Just heard I Don't Like Shit for the first time. Damn. If Earl isn't a genius, he's brilliant enough I don't mind. I have the feeling that in the next few years, he's going to make the greatest thing ever.
----
How come no one seemed to care about wu-tang the saga continues?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2017, 07:20 PM   #1011
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Yeah, what is it with run the jewels? Listened to 3 and it's good, well-made, not crap. And yet almost entirely without interest. Weird.
-----
Listened to Logic's under pressure. Frustrating. Impressive skills, but almost never changes up his flow so it gets pretty boring after awhile. And we get it dude. You had a rough childhood. Anything else to say? No IDs production is more interesting than the rapper.
----
Just heard I Don't Like Shit for the first time. Damn. If Earl isn't a genius, he's brilliant enough I don't mind. I have the feeling that in the next few years, he's going to make the greatest thing ever.
----
How come no one seemed to care about wu-tang the saga continues?

1. Yep. Run the Jewels is ok non-terrible rap that does like nothing for me with repeated listens. I think people are just overwhelmed by the sensory overload of the sounds, and the fact that neither the rapping nor the production is *bad,* so they convince themselves it’s good, when in truth it’s just ... not bad.

2. Is anyone still talking or thinking about Logic? He’s a speck. Again, not terrible, but pretty much the antithesis of interesting.

3. I’m not always in the mood for Earl — in fact I’m almost always NOT in the mood for Earl — but it’s true. He’s pretty goddamn great. He’s not the best thing to come from Odd Future though... that’s obviously Frank Ocean, who has truly turned into an OH MY GOD/NEXT LEVEL/WTF musical force, but Earl’s good. I wish he’d expand sonically and dabble in some different textures because his music often sounds like mud, and I think it would be better if it was more dynamic, but yeah. He’ll either drop a classic or he’ll fade from view having dropped two semi-classics.

4. Because it’s not a Wu-Tang Clan album. It’s “Wu-Tang,” meaning it’s RZA and maybe one or two other members sometimes, doing a bunch of bullshit. There are SO MANY non-Wu-Tang Clan Wu-Tang albums. Seriously. Also I think everyone’s sick of their goddamn shit after A Better Tomorrow, and RZA is a caricature of himself, and their story is pretty much a tragedy at this point.

Plus they sold a goddamn album to a Big Pharmacy felon. Fuck that shit.
Old 12.24.2017, 05:33 AM   #1012
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Fuck yes!! I'm so excited about Earl's next album. Love love him.
Old 12.24.2017, 07:23 AM   #1013
louder
invito al cielo

I don't understand music journalism anymore. SZA's "CTRL" is a cute album, but very safe and just your run-of-the-mill female neo-soul album, nowhere near the 2nd best album of 2017 like they make it out to be. Last year's "A Seat at the Table" by Solange was vastly superior. It must be the Kendrick affiliation.
Old 12.24.2017, 10:00 AM   #1014
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
If you add up the best moments from all of Brockhampton’s 2017 releases, it might qualify as a list-worthy release, but I haven’t been impressed enough to put any of the albums they did release in a spot like that.
Oh I understand, my main complaints are that their projects are all samey and overlong, and some of their hooks are maybe not so good. Still find them super interesting and like them more and more with every listen.
Old 12.24.2017, 11:35 AM   #1015
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
I don't understand music journalism anymore. SZA's "CTRL" is a cute album, but very safe and just your run-of-the-mill female neo-soul album, nowhere near the 2nd best album of 2017 like they make it out to be. Last year's "A Seat at the Table" by Solange was vastly superior. It must be the Kendrick affiliation.

Yeah, what the fuck is up with that?

Same with Cardi B. Like, sure “Bodak Yellow” is a fine little banger, but that is 100% it. Absolutely it. And her new single is just another not bad, reasonably well-executed bunch of bars, over an instrumental that does nothing and goes nowhere.

What the fuck?!

Honestly, this is all SUCH A MASSIVE step down, such a massive regression, from what Lauryn Hill or even Missy Elliot was doing 20 years ago. For real.

For my money, Syd from the Internet is a VASTLY more interesting voice in hip-hop and R&B than either of these artists, who are topping all the year-end singles lists. So is Rhapsody. But Syd/The Internet have some seriously fucking awesome sounds coming out of their brains right now, and I’m surprised Syd’s solo LP is getting less love than Cardi and SZA.

Yeah, Solange is definitely on some better shit, and Beyoncé is on some grand throne overlooking all these people from on high.

Mediocrity is super in right now. Pitchfork’s headline for the new Cardi B single is “Cardi B’s new song (name of song, fucked if I know) loves up to the hype,” but listening to it is actually really fucking frustrating, because it’s like... WHERE’S THE BEEF?
Old 12.25.2017, 08:18 PM   #1016
Severian
invito al cielo

Lil Wayne just dropped “The Dedication 6” and I’m too scared to listen to it.

Someone listen to it for me.
Old 12.25.2017, 08:26 PM   #1017
Severian
invito al cielo

^ Not sure if that’s the official promo art, but ... that’s ballsy.

And SUPER unearned.

It might have passed in 2007-08, during Wayne’s reign of positively baller mixtapes, when he was really punking out hip-hop. But now?! Fuck man. Insulting and delusional.
Old 12.25.2017, 08:33 PM   #1018
Severian
invito al cielo

Looks like a dead Lil Wayne baby. Like Wayne looks like a dead Lil Wayne adult. Floating in a pool of blood and cough syrup.
Old 12.25.2017, 09:19 PM   #1019
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
I did. Yeah, it’s pretty bad. He raps over popular beats from this year (I remember hearing DNA, The Story of OJ, Rockstar, XO Tour Life) and the flows and lyrics are just what you’d expect from post-No Ceilings Wayne.
Old 12.26.2017, 10:55 AM   #1020
Severian
invito al cielo

I am just so irritated by him now. He looks like a destroyed human being, and he thinks he’s amazing. Fucking having strokes and shit at age 34 or whatever. Fucking ridiculous. Just *refuses* to *ever* put the goddamn codeine down. Looks like his gums bleed. Fucking sad. Seriously sad.

If Wayne’s career had ended about 6 months after Carter 3, he’d be a legend. Now he’s just destroying his own legacy. Idiot.
484950 51 52 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth