View Poll Results: chabib
crap 4 28.57%
not 9 64.29%
sometimes 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11.12.2006, 10:36 PM   #41
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
no comment.

oh, look! i've just gone and contradicted myself again.
Old 11.12.2006, 10:41 PM   #42
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
chabib, could you describe that first installation for me? the all white one...
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2006, 10:43 PM   #43
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
My bother is much better at things than i am on a regular basis(taking drugs is one of them.).Chris,i don't like your art and and i have seen its kind quite a few times before,There is no fight to be picked on the internet or else.Whatever you think,fine,but just because someone is more merciless than the 100s arselicking Sonic Youth fans that you get on a regular basis doesnt mean someone is up there for bitterness or else.Take it like
a man that i suspect you might be.Yes?

no no no, you crossed a line. Its alright to say you dont like the art, but you insulted him, so there should be no mercy..

im still waiting for some of that art man?
Old 11.12.2006, 10:44 PM   #44
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
My bother is much better at things than i am on a regular basis(taking drugs is one of them.).Chris,i don't like your art and and i have seen its kind quite a few times before,There is no fight to be picked on the internet or else.Whatever you think,fine,but just because someone is more merciless than the 100s arselicking Sonic Youth fans that you get on a regular basis doesnt mean someone is up there for bitterness or else.Take it like a man that i suspect you might be.Yes?

see, but the thing is--my reality's a lot bigger than a sonic youth message board.
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2006, 10:45 PM   #45
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabib
you know, the guy who led the team that cracked the human genome bought some big installation i made for the wellcome trust. that's neat.

what sort of nobel-laureate-style folks out there can say they've got your stuff taking up space in their lives?

That's mighty impressive that his obviously massive intellect could appreciate your work.

Not so impressive here:

I donated a welded scrap iron sculpture to a public library when I was nineteen and they accepted it.

I had a friend buy a painting for $40.00 once.

I traded several paintings and used to go online to print out Aleister Crowley books for a black man in his eighties that was my drug dealer. He was my one and only art patron. He had an ex-wife that he claimed was hexing him by "burning candles" and doing voodoo. He saw my art and claimed that I "had a connection to the spirit world." A few years before that, I rented a two bedroom shack for $110.00 a month from a black preacher in his sixties and he had used the exact same words when he saw my paintings hanging: You have a connection to the spirit world.

A gay man once approached me at the library on the pretense of a Series 7 manual I was studying, can I buy it?, where did I get it?, etc...I talked to him and he said he once lived with Sartre and that he knew an art dealer. He took me out to dinner, we came back to my place, he made a pass at me, I declined, he bought a drawing for $20.00, he left, and that was that.

I donated pieces to an annual Mental Health benefit and Human Rights Festival a few times. One year, a copy of a Warhol "Harlequin" drawing that I had made into a painting went for the second highest amount in the auction...850.00...right behind some R.E.M.-autographed package deal.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2006, 10:45 PM   #46
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
see, but the thing is--my reality's a lot bigger than a sonic youth message board.
you have previously indicated that with your adventures in namedropping.
Old 11.12.2006, 10:47 PM   #47
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
That's mighty impressive that his obviously massive intellect cold appreciate your work.

Not so impressive here:

I donated a welded scrap iron sculpture to a pubic library when I was nineteen and they accepted it.

I had a friend buy a painting for $40.00 once.

I traded several paintings and used to go online to print out Aleister Crowley books for a black man in his eighties that was my drug dealer. He was my one and only art patron. He had an ex-wife that he claimed was hexing him by "burning candles" and doing voodoo. He saw my art and claimed that I "had a connection to the spirit world." A few years before that, I rented a two bedroom shack for $110.00 a month from a black preacher in his sixties and he had used the exact same words when he saw my paintings hanging: You have a connection to the spirit world.

I donated pieces to an annual Mental Health benefit and Human Rights Festival a few times. One year, a copy of a Warhol "Harlequin" drawing that I had made into a painting went for the second highest amount in the auction...850.00...right behind some R.E.M.-autographed package deal.

thats cool

hey porky, what kind of art have you done?
Old 11.12.2006, 10:49 PM   #48
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
chabib, could you describe that first installation for me? the all white one...

5-channel video installation. each video is me jumping rope around either a different piece of sculpture or, what i felt to be a beautiful construction site. i had microphones in my feet and on my collar. each mic was on it's own channel. i'd say things, count, hum or just let the ambient sounds around me filter thru the mics. i skipped rope on gravel, concrete, asphalt, sand and grass--so the different textures created different percussive rhythms. the 10 sound sources could be mixed discreetly with the mixers i built for the console. the mixes could be recorded to tapes on the recorder i built into the console.

everything was played loudly thru the amp.

porkie's seen it before though.
Old 11.12.2006, 10:49 PM   #49
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
A lot.I obsess about refining my art and i do that with my own hands,not by using software of any kind.Drugs or alcohol alike might or might not help,tricky ground that you land on.

isnt this you pork?
Old 11.12.2006, 10:53 PM   #50
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Yay. At the risk of kissing ass: Chabib is pretty awesome.

And, IMO, Chabib's work is better than yours. Porky's is good too, it is interesting, but just not as good.
Alex's Trip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2006, 10:54 PM   #51
chabib
Administrator

Quote:
Nothing new but as you said,you get paid for it.To design the cover for the worst SY album in living memory,that is..

i've only ever done the SYR covers.
Old 11.12.2006, 10:55 PM   #52
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Nothing new but as you said,you get paid for it.To design the cover for the worst SY album in living memory,that is..
He didn't do the Rather Ripped cover, I believe. I remember he hated it as well.

Edit: yeah...
Old 11.12.2006, 10:55 PM   #53
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
Yay. At the risk of kissing ass: Chabib is pretty awesome.

how could ass kissing on the message board possibly benefit anyone??
Old 11.12.2006, 10:56 PM   #54
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
how could ass kissing on the message board possibly benefit anyone??
It couldn't.
Old 11.12.2006, 10:56 PM   #55
chabib
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex's trip
He didn't do the Rather Ripped cover, I believe. I remember he hated it as well.

i hate that cover, and no... i didn't do it.
Old 11.12.2006, 10:58 PM   #56
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
that cover sucks, and no... i didn't do it.
thank god. you've just redeemed yourself.
Old 11.12.2006, 11:02 PM   #57
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
5-channel video installation. each video is me jumping rope around either a different piece of sculpture or, what i felt to be a beautiful construction site. i had microphones in my feet and on my collar. each mic was on it's own channel. i'd say things, count, hum or just let the ambient sounds around me filter thru the mics. i skipped rope on gravel, concrete, asphalt, sand and grass--so the different textures created different percussive rhythms. the 10 sound sources could be mixed discreetly with the mixers i built for the console. the mixes could be recorded to tapes on the recorder i built into the console.

everything was played loudly thru the amp.

porkie's seen it before though.

Sounds like and looks a bit like a delightful Muybridge/Eno/Anderson mash-up.
If Sonic Youth everdo another video along the lines of "Little Trouble Girl" somewhat, then you should put that one in there.

I love this by Laurie Anderson. This would be my ideal way to learn Japanese:

"Wordfall"

"Wordfall" is an electronic artwork that was commissioned by World Expo 2005 in Aichi Japan. Japanese phrases are animated In a downward falling sequence on an LED panel. The English translations of the phrases appear to fall into an electronic pool, generating concentric waves of words. Synchronization is controlled by custom made software.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2006, 11:06 PM   #58
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
It couldn't.

then its not brown nosing...
Old 11.12.2006, 11:07 PM   #59
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Kissing ass is kissing ass no matter where it is.
Old 11.12.2006, 11:07 PM   #60
chabib
Administrator

i'll be retiring to my palatial estate in the hamptons for a fortnight--paid for in full by the disposable income of the international jetset elite and the hipsters whose pocketbooks they love to exploit.

as my man-servant warms my feet between the cheeks of his moist, warm ass and my chauffer rests his head on a bale of hay out in the barn, a meal of the livers of poor, inner-city youth and tongues of the useless geriatric awaits me in the great-hall.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth