Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What do you think is lacking from today's music?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.13.2009, 04:00 PM   #1
sarramkrop

Discuss. I'm neutral and have nothing much to say.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:04 PM   #2
sarramkrop

Not so neutral after all. A lot of drone music sounds like background music and nothing more.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Kegmama
empty page

Kegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
What do you think is lacking from today's music?

Talent.

(In regard to mainstream shite...)

Kegmama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:06 PM   #4
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
1.music today is not particularly different from any other period
2.probably less than 1% of music made now has anything to do with drones
3.there's nothing wrong with background music
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:06 PM   #5
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegmama

(Talent in regard to also non-mainstream shite...)

Fixed.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:06 PM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I think it's a very economical approach to look at music in terms of gaps in the market. I don't think you're doing this, but a lot of people think in terms of 'what do other people not do, and how can I do that?'.

So it's not a case of what's missing from market but what am I missing in my life. And what I am missing from my life, and what I'll need to work harder to find, is music that doesn't exist in the world of myspace and producing product. In fact, I'd take the more moderate line of 'music that isn't geared towards a 7"/ myspace/ CD-r' and sounds that are allowed a time to gestate.

I'm thinking like that thing of when I 'discovered' Ashtray Navigations for myself - I think they'd been together aeons, and I'd not found anything of theirs, and I'm not sure if they have a myspace? I don't care aswell, they came into my life without hype - and this includes blog/ messageboard hype.

Does this make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:07 PM   #7
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Originality. It still blows my mind that bands - big, popular ones - still use the I-VI-V chord progressions. And make millions.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:07 PM   #8
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I'm so wrapped up with listening to music that's a decade(+) old, I had no idea that today actually had music.

I would love to broaden my horizons, but I live in a black hole.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:09 PM   #9
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
nothings lacking, i like 'todays music' whatever that means.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:09 PM   #10
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
we are given those notes, there's only much to do with them.
that's where noise comes in handy.

but still, that's been done already.
complaining doesn't help either.

the good stuff is out there, you have to dig...
Old 05.13.2009, 04:09 PM   #11
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
personally, I think what is lacking is centralization and universal access. There is literally TOO MUCH FUCKING MUSIC. be it commercial, independent, popular or obscure, and it is fucking an acid trip to try to make any sense of any of it. I do not know or understand any of the music anyone talks about on this board, I am constantly being schooled, its why I stick around here. Equally I could probably school some of y'all in obscure reggae and african music, and be schooled by others!

again, I hate to say it but there is just TOO MUCH fucking music

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:10 PM   #12
al shabbray

the feeling that the artist got "something to say".
no matter in which direction.
often there is nothing more then soulless sounds instead of sounds which transport something.
same for lyrics
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:10 PM   #13
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegmama
Talent.

(In regard to mainstream shite...)

mainstream music has lot's of talent, they have top engineers and producers working on every track, and every album has lots of session guys who are insane musicians, i'm kind of against saying something doesn't take talent just because you don't like it, that's the exact same argument commercial music folks use against others, and it's bullshit both ways
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:11 PM   #14
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
From some of the bands I've met, seen, and etc.

I think todays music is better than ever.

It's the fans that are shit.

& The mainstream has always sucked since the Beatles broke up.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:12 PM   #15
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I think it's a very economical approach to look at music in terms of gaps in the market. I don't think you're doing this, but a lot of people think in terms of 'what do other people not do, and how can I do that?'.

So it's not a case of what's missing from market but what am I missing in my life. And what I am missing from my life, and what I'll need to work harder to find, is music that doesn't exist in the world of myspace and producing product. In fact, I'd take the more moderate line of 'music that isn't geared towards a 7"/ myspace/ CD-r and records that are allowed a time to gestate.

I'm thinking like that thing of when I 'discovered' Ashtray Navigations for myself - I think they'd been together aeons, and I'd not found anything of theirs, and I'm not sure if they have a myspace? I don't care aswell, they came into my life with hype - and this includes blog/ messageboard hype.

Does this make sense?

It does. All the means to make more amazing music are there, and are used by those who do. I just think that there isn't enough amazing music being made considering what's at our disposal. The overwhelming chat about it overshadows what good there is too.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:13 PM   #16
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I've thought about it some more, and I'm going with "longevity".

maybe it's just the glut of music that's "out there" or maybe it's just not as good, but I really don't hear much today that makes me think "these guys will still be huge in 30 years".
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:14 PM   #17
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
mainstream music has lot's of talent, they have top engineers and producers working on every track, and every album has lots of session guys who are insane musicians, i'm kind of against saying something doesn't take talent just because you don't like it, that's the exact same argument commercial music folks use against others, and it's bullshit both ways

true, talent is not whats missing. Even robots have talent, proficiency and skill. Whats missing is spirit.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:14 PM   #18
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo

It's the fans that are shit.

I was thinking along those lines too. Not all fans obviously, but reading through any internet site about music makes you think that most music fans are disgusting, spoiled shits.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:15 PM   #19
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
But I honestly feel that is changing, with the world going to shit the way it is....maybe people will have something to say.

less ppl from the suburbs singing about girls and marijuana and bullshit.

Bob Dylan also ruined music and artistry. He made everyone think they can be deep and prolific and instead of entertain people, he made ppl think they could enlighten ppl.

It needs to go back to entertainment, euphimisms, etc.

the 30s and 40s were fucking TERRIBLE in America, but it has some of the most beautiful music and lyrically isnt dark, or prolific at all...same with the 50s.

ppl need to start singing about serious shit, in an ambigous, artistic, and not serious way.

fuck those emo assholes who think they are the only ones with feelings hahahaha.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:17 PM   #20
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo

Bob Dylan also ruined music and artistry. He made everyone think they can be deep and prolific and instead of entertain people, he made ppl think they could enlighten ppl.

I love you.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth