Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What The Fuck Are You Eating????
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.09.2015, 08:46 AM   #1161
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
how long / what temp / seasonings/ method?

cut 2cm ring-pieces. but on backing-paper. salt them.. add black pepper and olive oil.

had them in the oven at around 190 celsius for about 40 min (just see that they have a nice golden roasted color - then it should be alright, every oven acts a little different).

then you can do whatever you want with them. i put them in a salad with balsamico-garlic dressing. but you could put them on a nice bed of bulgur or lime-rice or couscous then you have an uhlalala-side dish.

i love red onions. They're a soul on fire.
uhh if you add some chilli before baking...
i bet there's nothing wrong with that
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2015, 07:47 PM   #1162
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
cut 2cm ring-pieces. but on backing-paper. salt them.. add black pepper and olive oil.

had them in the oven at around 190 celsius for about 40 min (just see that they have a nice golden roasted color - then it should be alright, every oven acts a little different).

then you can do whatever you want with them. i put them in a salad with balsamico-garlic dressing. but you could put them on a nice bed of bulgur or lime-rice or couscous then you have an uhlalala-side dish.

i love red onions. They're a soul on fire.
uhh if you add some chilli before baking...
i bet there's nothing wrong with that

thanks chef!

the red onion rules.

here is my repayment for the favor. try making this for your fun:

slice some red onion like feathers (traveling down the meridians from the center). thin. not rings or half rings, not cubes. thin feathers.

rinse with cold water / shake the water off / pat dry whatever

add seasalt

add fresh lime juice

a trickle of a oil (neutral, olive works well too)

fresh chopped chili pepper-- something with more flavor than bite

if you wanna cheat (in a good way), a sprinkle of msg

if lacking limes, red or apple vinegar can work

i know you'll be tempted to add cilantro but try not to. if you need a spot of color try maybe a tiny amount of parsley but chopped very small & sprinkled lightly. you could try some cilantro but do not succumb to the temptation of adding a lot of it and going mexican. it's an onion thing, not a cilantro thing.

DO NOT add tomatos or you'll end up with some kind of salsa for chips. this is more of a flavorful garnish not a dip.

the main thing here are the onion and the lime, the chili pepper is to add an accent but not to overpower.

toss and let it ripen for a few minutes and serve it inside pork sandwiches with crusty bread. or over some beans. or with a fried fish fillet. or with a steak, even. great with a crisp lager or pilsner beer.

do NOT prepare it in advance because after an hour or so it will become soggy-- though the flavor may deepen in the fridge the texture will be a bit crap. i've eaten it up to a day old, in desperation, but it's kinda like leaving a camembert in the sun.

enjoy!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2015, 10:34 AM   #1163
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Lately eating is annoying. It's like every 5 minutes it's that time to eat again. I can't be arsed sometimes it's like fucking hell it's time to eat again already?!. Yea! or you'll die say's Jiminy. Other things to do innit. Fucker can be expensive as well. Takeaways when I can't be arsed, fillet steaks when I can... I'm replacing food with liquid today
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2015, 10:53 AM   #1164
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
I'm replacing food with liquid today

nice!

i have to wait for the weekend for that kind of diet
Old 04.10.2015, 06:53 PM   #1165
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
thanks chef!

the red onion rules.

here is my repayment for the favor. try making this for your fun:

slice some red onion like feathers (traveling down the meridians from the center). thin. not rings or half rings, not cubes. thin feathers.

rinse with cold water / shake the water off / pat dry whatever

add seasalt

add fresh lime juice

a trickle of a oil (neutral, olive works well too)

fresh chopped chili pepper-- something with more flavor than bite

if you wanna cheat (in a good way), a sprinkle of msg

if lacking limes, red or apple vinegar can work

i know you'll be tempted to add cilantro but try not to. if you need a spot of color try maybe a tiny amount of parsley but chopped very small & sprinkled lightly. you could try some cilantro but do not succumb to the temptation of adding a lot of it and going mexican. it's an onion thing, not a cilantro thing.

DO NOT add tomatos or you'll end up with some kind of salsa for chips. this is more of a flavorful garnish not a dip.

the main thing here are the onion and the lime, the chili pepper is to add an accent but not to overpower.

toss and let it ripen for a few minutes and serve it inside pork sandwiches with crusty bread. or over some beans. or with a fried fish fillet. or with a steak, even. great with a crisp lager or pilsner beer.

do NOT prepare it in advance because after an hour or so it will become soggy-- though the flavor may deepen in the fridge the texture will be a bit crap. i've eaten it up to a day old, in desperation, but it's kinda like leaving a camembert in the sun.

enjoy!

great. gonna try it really reduced... just with lime juice. "lime-skin" caramelized with some sage. At the step you salt them... that's where it's at. i think "i" want some of that garlicy, harsh taste fo the onion... so, not too long. as I understand you right, you use homegrown onions... you want to keep their "character".
i'm such a jerk
cooking, ha?
Old 04.10.2015, 07:36 PM   #1166
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

this is in no way cooked but a fresh raw live taste. hence it's great with fried fish.

it's more like an onion salad. you know that french tomato and onion salad? with sliced tomato and onion sitting in a tray and then you dip your bread in it in a hot summer day? i've eaten it, but i don't know the name--- it's a bit like that, but not exactly that (no tomato, lime instead of vinegar, chili--a bit more potent & tropical)

the caramelization sounds like an interesting derivation and a great way to explore (i'd like to hear the results so maybe i can try it here), but taste it fresh first! it's super-good, and millions swear by it.
Old 04.10.2015, 08:11 PM   #1167
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

yes, yes
i meant preparing food. ha?
Old 04.10.2015, 08:30 PM   #1168
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ha ha ha. i think i misunderstood what you wrote!

i thought you were planning to cook down that recipe.

did not understand the jerk/cooking part

anyway, i'm posting you photos of some versions so you can see it.

it's so pretty.

Old 04.10.2015, 08:48 PM   #1169
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
oh god that looks good

i had a pork bahn mi sandwich with lots of sriracha for my meal tonight.
Old 04.12.2015, 11:36 AM   #1170
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

just had an intense session learning to make chapatis. used leftover yogurt because i didn't like the yogurt made with skim milk from last weekend. the yogurt gave them a nice sour flavor and made them toast a bit yellow.

then i made a sort-of-shakshuka with shallots, parsley, and canned tomato (i know, i know...). then larded up the chapatis with irish butter and ate them together (eurasian burrito, lol).

with ceylon tea. and soem orange.

life is good. time for a siesta del gallito*.

* that's a nap that you take after breakfast
Old 04.18.2015, 11:20 AM   #1171
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I got some stuffed chicaken with asparagus and buttered noodles for my side.

not too bad after drinking last night.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2015, 02:23 PM   #1172
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

hey symbol man:

the onoin thing.... good stuff. kinda hard to combine with other stuff.

so... avocado.
what do you do with it?
developing a starter with avocado. was thinking about a salbitxada sauce or maybe tahini joghurt... just the pure saltet slices of avocado (salted) and throwing some pomegranade seeds and basil as topping.
what do you think?
how is it used in america, the avocado that is? not interested in guacamole.

how'd you do it?
Old 04.18.2015, 02:56 PM   #1173
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
hey symbol man:

the onoin thing.... good stuff. kinda hard to combine with other stuff.

so... avocado.
what do you do with it?
developing a starter with avocado. was thinking about a salbitxada sauce or maybe tahini joghurt... just the pure saltet slices of avocado (salted) and throwing some pomegranade seeds and basil as topping.
what do you think?
how is it used in america, the avocado that is? not interested in guacamole.

how'd you do it?

i would stuff it with crab meat! cut in half and filled in. too obvious uh?

i don't know what salbitxada is (sounds basque)... lemme google...

oh it's catalonian! (close but not too close). never had it. like a sauce? oh charred green onions! mexicans do that too-- the grilled onions.

this recipe: http://spanishfood.about.com/od/side...Salbitxada.htm is it real/correct?

if so-- you wanna make like a creamy avocado sauce/paste?

i don't know.... avocado can be treacherous. one ill-tasting piece and the whole will taste rotten

i live in the us but i'm not originally a gringo btw-- i immigrated from south america. i live here now but my roots are... a lot tastier ha ha ha.

so, that onion thing, it's eaten with everything... rice & beans... pork... roast chicken and fries... fried yuca... it is very potent and sort of takes over though, you need bold spices like cumin in the meats to stand up to it. but people put it on everything-- meat empanadas... there is no end. i bet it would go great on falafel. or doner kebab. try it.

avocado is a tricky bastard. i like it in a sandwich-- like, a steak sandwich? wow. a shrimp sandwich wowowo. i like it stuffed with cold salads (egg, chicken, shrimp, etc). i like it on a soup like menudo (cow parts, posole, chile) or a bean soup (you add it at the end). for an appetizer i don't know... i know some traditional versions that are a bit "porky", but you wanna innovate yes?...with seafood is great (but i know you're allergic). also cold potato and lime. bit of mayo. also hardboiled egg goes well with it.

here's a funny thing about the avocado--i think of it as salty food, a vegetable, but it's a fruit and it goes well with sugar too. in brazil it's eaten with sugar instead of salt and it's used in fruit juices (try it in a smoothie, it;s awesome). so consider some sort of sweet twist. wait, what about some sweet/sour accent like tamarind? or one of those balsamic reductions in a squirter that are everywhere these days lol. or strawberry! (it's the season) i wouldn't know without a test kitchen, but basically sweet, salt & sour go great with it-- it's a creamy fat. bacon, ham... sour cream?

you could try a refined version of the mexican "pepitos" which is a simple sandwich of grilled steak with avocado on french bread (bolillos). (well, maybe otehr things if you do the full torta). puta madre those are so good!

another could be yellow/waxy potato slices with maybe a delicate fish fried some lime and the avocado on top?

with lobster, damn, i've never eaten it with lobster but i bet it's tremendous.

yes i know i'm rambling but i hope it some of it sends you on a trip to a new place that's good... maybe with one of your local farmer pork things...
Old 04.18.2015, 05:49 PM   #1174
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Yo...I had guac with pomegranate and that shit was delicious. Pom and Avo go pretty well together.
Old 04.18.2015, 06:53 PM   #1175
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh hell, that is great to know

pom is sweet/sour

but it's out of season! (in this hemisphere anyway)
Old 04.22.2015, 08:45 AM   #1176
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

CHEEEEEEEEFFFFFFF!!! if you read this. check out the movie "how to cook your life". a documentary that follows a chef/zen teacher. really great! and part of it was shot in austria. i'm not kidding. check it out if you can. i posted a picture on the movie thread. made by someone name doris dorrie (with some umlauts somewhere)

=======

i've been cleaning my food stores for the last couple of weeks. all i have left in the freezer are frozen bananas, frozen strawberries, and frozen greens. the industrial chicken is gone-- but it made a mess of my oven, splattering grease everywhere. s0-- almost there! the pantry shelves are still loaded though-- all kinds of flours, etc. so some interesting things came out of that.

--> a tuna sauce for pasta, with cilantro. delicious.

--> chocolate cake. really nice and moist. that later became a chocolate peanut cake after i mixed peanut butter with confectioner's sugar (wanted to get rid of the sugar)

--> a pumpkin custard (canned pumkin, milk, eggs, molasses, sugar, spices)

--> "bean pizza". a layer of beans, a layer of greens, a splash of tomato sauce, shredded industrial mozzarella (i know, i know). heated up in the oven. sounds slightly monstrous but it's actually decent nutrition. gets boring after 5 days though!

--> cornbread. made with butter and buttermilk. which i ate with The Last Bacon. cornbread was okay but degermed cornmeal is fucking bland and tasteless. no more aunt jemima, i'm growing/grinding my own dent corn from now on.

i'm looking for a recipe for graham crackers-- i have a TON of graham flour. alton brown, that fucking douche, has a highly rated recipe but it's measured in fractions of an ounce. how the fuck do you measure "7 3/8 ounces?" are they weight ounces or volume ounces? the fucking douche... he has good recipes but i hate his guts. "alton".
Old 04.22.2015, 12:49 PM   #1177
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

i'm eating a couple of mini red/orange/yellow peppers. they're so sweet! just raw....so delicious. my girlfriend picked these up ad they're great!

oh and some watermelon too....
Old 04.26.2015, 02:07 PM   #1178
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
CHEEEEEEEEFFFFFFF!!! if you read this. check out the movie "how to cook your life". a documentary that follows a chef/zen teacher. really great! and part of it was shot in austria. i'm not kidding. check it out if you can. i posted a picture on the movie thread. made by someone name doris dorrie (with some umlauts somewhere)

=======

i've been cleaning my food stores for the last couple of weeks. all i have left in the freezer are frozen bananas, frozen strawberries, and frozen greens. the industrial chicken is gone-- but it made a mess of my oven, splattering grease everywhere. s0-- almost there! the pantry shelves are still loaded though-- all kinds of flours, etc. so some interesting things came out of that.

--> a tuna sauce for pasta, with cilantro. delicious.

--> chocolate cake. really nice and moist. that later became a chocolate peanut cake after i mixed peanut butter with confectioner's sugar (wanted to get rid of the sugar)

--> a pumpkin custard (canned pumkin, milk, eggs, molasses, sugar, spices)

--> "bean pizza". a layer of beans, a layer of greens, a splash of tomato sauce, shredded industrial mozzarella (i know, i know). heated up in the oven. sounds slightly monstrous but it's actually decent nutrition. gets boring after 5 days though!

--> cornbread. made with butter and buttermilk. which i ate with The Last Bacon. cornbread was okay but degermed cornmeal is fucking bland and tasteless. no more aunt jemima, i'm growing/grinding my own dent corn from now on.

i'm looking for a recipe for graham crackers-- i have a TON of graham flour. alton brown, that fucking douche, has a highly rated recipe but it's measured in fractions of an ounce. how the fuck do you measure "7 3/8 ounces?" are they weight ounces or volume ounces? the fucking douche... he has good recipes but i hate his guts. "alton".

haha. ok.
i'm not a chef... just a good dishwasher.

avocados weren't enough for my boss. he wanted a different "center" for the dish.
ended up with errmmm... oriental quinoa-spinach 'rissoles' (don't know about the term, we call them 'Laibchen').

so these went out with sliced avocados, tahini-jogourth (i'm addicted to tahini). roasted lemons and we garnished the whole thing with olive oil and coriander leaves
yes, yes, i read too many ottolenghi recipes lately.

your onion thing actually ended up on the menu. 'pink' roasted duck breast with orange-fennel salad and sage-onions.
decadence pour le decadence

i might have to reconsider my opinion about the chicken.
a friend of mine just came back from istanbul and brought me some spices.
we made a fucking ace chicken Tajin (yes, yes... spices from turkey in a Tajin... welcome to the afterfusion).

gonna watch that 'how to cook your life" movie tonight.

that's the long one, you'll like it:
had day off. started cooking.
first i tried to make 'Sterznudeln' (pastalike noodles that are traditional for some regions from where i grew up, never did it before though and it's a grotesque pasta recipe anyways).

-> you first cook the flour in boiling water before you make the pasta dough.

ok, then i had these noodles. (not done yet of course, wanted to brown them in butter, you could also cook them in water agian but i think it'll end up messy).

also had some red beetroot
I smoked them in a wok.
everything went fine.

smoked them and then put them in the oven at 230 C .
Tought it would take 50-60min in the oven so that they're done.

went to buy cigarettes in the meanwhile.
couldn't get inside the house after that. landlord exchanged the lock 2 days ago, we got new keys and everything.
sitting here with an unpaid bill for 170 euros for the unlock service (that was just for the reversal... door got opened from a neighbour downstairs from the inside).
still i haven't finished the dish.
police got involved too, i locked myself out on purpose for a second time :-)

if you want to know any detarils (cooking, law, etc.)
happy to share,
i'm just very slow on the computer
Old 04.27.2015, 01:57 AM   #1179
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
had red beetroots as well yesterday.
your procedure must have made them tasty.

i just boiled them and some broccoli and ate them with yogurt. not tasty.

policepeople must have felt demoralized or happy, you were the highlight of their day.
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2015, 09:35 AM   #1180
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
and some broccoli and ate them with yogurt. not tasty.

i used to hate broccoli and now i'm addicted. the main reason is that i started grilling or stir-frying it and eating it with olive oil and soy sauce. it's the tastiest thing. even if you steam it (don't boil it submerged, but use a basket) you can touch it up with a little char on a dry pan. a little char, not a massive burn, wow. but even if just steamed-- soy sauce + olive oil = gold. forget dairy with it (yogurt, cheese, etc = meh). i swear by this.

Quote:
haha. ok.
i'm not a chef... just a good dishwasher.

1. eh! can i call you chef anyway?

2. - the quinoa starter sounds amazing! i like a starter with protein, like an antipasto. so what if it's quinoa and not an animal--works fine. an advantage of the quinoa is that it gets you hungry right after-- so people will buy more dishes ha ha. if you want avocado as the center then use it for a salad then. i used to make an avocado and mango salad... amazing. i haven't had mangos in a while (not the season yet) but do a search for recipes & mod to your taste. it's a great summer taste-- you have a couple of months to develop it.

4. chicken tastes great-- even with just salt, if you reduce the skinfat & make it crispy.

5. sooooo.... did you watch the movie? eh??

6. ha ha "grotesque" pasta. so was it tasty, though? i'm curious. i still have a lot of whole wheat flour to use up.

but the thing-- you locked yourself out... twice? and had to pay for it why? and what did the cops do? damn damn damn. sounds hilarious though i'm sure you didn't have fun during that. most importantly-- you didn't smoke up the house did you? (i smoked up the house cooking chicken last week-- i didn't burn it-- just so much fat)
49565758 59 60616269 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth