Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café III
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.01.2014, 04:53 PM   #581
an evening with viewtiful
bad moon rising

an evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I feel like I need to give Mastermind another shot...
I would recommend it, but then again I am a Rick Ross/Maybach music fan.
Mastermind is lacking to be sure, but that's mostly because it doesn't depart from any of Ross' formulas. That said there really aren't any out and out bad songs on the thing, and almost all of them are fairly enjoyable.

Also, Thug Cry has a pretty nice Weezy Verse.
an evening with viewtiful is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2014, 05:32 PM   #582
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
yeah I listened to "Thug Cry" last night. Pretty decent.

So I read that Acid Rap got a bootleg release last year that made it to some record stores.

Even if it's a boot, I really wish I could find a copy. It's so pretty looking. Or, Chance should get that shit pressed up officially.
Old 05.02.2014, 07:05 AM   #583
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by an evening with viewtiful

Also, Thug Cry has a pretty nice Weezy Verse.

This is true enough. The guest spots on the album in general are pretty solid.

I think I was expecting too much. Like Ross's MBDTF or Carter III. The title sounds so elemental and iconic. So I may have fucked myself with inflated expectations, before even hearing the record.

However, I must say that knowing what we know about Rick Ross, it's pretty hard to take him seriously sometimes. I find myself getting really tired of his "I'm rich/ I'm og / I've done so many things / Also, I'm rich / I have girls / I'm gagsta and hard" lyrical pool.

If we listened to artists based on how much money they had.. well- first of all, we'd never listen to anyone new, because we;d be confining ourselves to only uber-successful artists... but second, wouldn't we just listen to the rappers with real money? Rick Ross is a pauper compared to Kanye, Weezy, etc. and he would probably not even pop up as a distant star in Jay Z's orbit.

But I think I have taken media low blows too seriously when it comes to Ross. I loved him before 50 went after his cred. Then I started to view him as a fraud. But that doesn't matter either. I don't listen to musicians based on whether or not they've ever held government jobs... I don't listen based on how many bullet holes are in their sternum either.

So I don't mean to hate on the fat man. I just wish he'd expand his musical palette
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2014, 08:51 AM   #584
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
It's not that I don't care about it in theory, or in retrospect/historical context.

But I've lived through enough hip hop beefs to know that this one is as tame as a kitten. If lint-rolling pants has anything to do with it, it's probably not the hardest beef we've ever seen.

If DRAKE has anything to do with it it is definitely pussy-soft shit. There is nothing hard about that loser.
Old 05.02.2014, 09:45 AM   #585
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Ty Dolla $ign's "Beach House" EP is so good. gotta add it to my top 5 albums of the year.

so now it's like..

1. Pinata
2. Clivia
3. Honest
4. Beach House
5. Z

--

also, the new PARTYNEXTDOOR song "West District" is my fav song of the year so far - https://youtube.com/watch?v=UHjhvaRPebA

his debut that came out last year was already good, but now he's on another level to me. need him to drop a new project.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2014, 09:53 AM   #586
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
yeah I listened to "Thug Cry" last night. Pretty decent.

So I read that Acid Rap got a bootleg release last year that made it to some record stores.

Even if it's a boot, I really wish I could find a copy. It's so pretty looking. Or, Chance should get that shit pressed up officially.
i'd cop it for sure. just listened to Acid Rap yesterday, such a great tape. i haven't listened to 10 Day (his first tape) in a while, it's almost as good as Acid Rap though. this kid has been hot from the start.
Old 05.02.2014, 11:36 PM   #587
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the kind words. I try too learn what I can and add a little something now and then......one of the few "regular" threads we have going.

Hell Yeah, Lil Wayne Just Dropped "Believe Me" Ft. Drake, the First Single from 'Tha Carter V':
http://m.noisey.vice.com/blog/lil-wa...ve-me-carter-v

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
Bytor Peltor rarely posts in this thread but he rules it above all.

you should post more up in here. when you do, it's hella good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2014, 03:42 AM   #588
louder
invito al cielo

thanks Bytor. the link was taken down, so here's another one: https://soundcloud.com/xvth/lil-wayn...-me-feat-drake

however it's not the final mix:

Final Mix Of "Believe Me" Coming In A Few Hours...Stay Tuned
https://twitter.com/welcomeOVO/statu...63163355910145

it's more like a Drake song with Wayne featured, which is a bad sign to me. decent song, but honestly i hope it won't be on the album.
Old 05.03.2014, 09:08 AM   #589
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
a pretty good Drake song. Not a good lead single for a Carter album
Old 05.03.2014, 02:13 PM   #590
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Ty Dolla $ign's "Beach House" EP is so good. gotta add it to my top 5 albums of the year.

so now it's like..

1. Pinata
2. Clivia
3. Honest
4. Beach House
5. Z
--

also, the new PARTYNEXTDOOR song "West District" is my fav song of the year so far - https://youtube.com/watch?v=UHjhvaRPebA

his debut that came out last year was already good, but now he's on another level to me. need him to drop a new project.

Bro, I totally made a post about Ty when the EP first hits stores. I also like it a lot, but I'm almost weirded out by the fact that I do... It's clubby bitches n' hoes Rap&B... With tons of singing in ridiculously crooning voices about (no offense) some seriously stupid shit.

It's not like it's channel orange, or 808's & Heartbreak... It's not "pbr" or "alt," and it doesn't push any buttons or boundaries. It just sounds ill. Ill as all hell.
I don't think it's top five material for me, but I like it.

---

Has anyone listened to Doppelgangaz or Smoke DZA yet? I'm starting to wonder why we even recommend albums if nobody ever tried anything new out. Hmph!
Old 05.03.2014, 03:06 PM   #591
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Bro, I totally made a post about Ty when the EP first hits stores. I also like it a lot, but I'm almost weirded out by the fact that I do... It's clubby bitches n' hoes Rap&B... With tons of singing in ridiculously crooning voices about (no offense) some seriously stupid shit.

It's not like it's channel orange, or 808's & Heartbreak... It's not "pbr" or "alt," and it doesn't push any buttons or boundaries. It just sounds ill. Ill as all hell.
I don't think it's top five material for me, but I like it.
lol yeah his subject matter is ratchet. supposedly his album will have more content though:

"The album's going to be called Free TC, it's dedicated to my lil bro, all the homies in prison that's wrongfully imprisoned," Ty Dolla $ign said when asked about what he is currently working on. "It's like a lot of people that end up like that just end up getting twisted and washed so like this is basically dedicated to him and I'm going to use the money to get him the greatest lawyer."

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/i...collaborations
Old 05.03.2014, 04:01 PM   #592
Severian
invito al cielo

I have been thinking a lot in recent days about how TOTALLY fucking excited I am for The Carter V. Been listening to III and the mixtapes from that era (Dedication, muhfuhs!), and I know it would be unreal if Wayne finally hit us with the album we've been waiting for since 2009.

But THAT IS THE WORST LIL WAYNE COVER EVER (which is saying a lot, really), and if all he's going to do is feature the most obvious rapper out there right now, and go straight for clubs and radios, then Wayne will lose a lot of his significance as an artist.

For a while he was almost at Kanye level.... Maybe not, actually, but Eminem level for sure. The works still seems to think he is, but if this album is his last and isn't a fucking masterpiece, he's going to be a footnote in the story of hip hop. Seriously, two killer albums, and a handful of killer mixtapes, with a bunch of ok to terrible stuff scattered all around them? That's not even a run.

I love Wayne, but he was only the real deal for like two years. The rest of the time has been spent fuckin around, making fans wait for him to come outta comas.
Old 05.03.2014, 07:45 PM   #593
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I don't really think the song is going for clubs and radios. It sounds like a street single more than anything.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2014, 07:51 PM   #594
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Also I don't know whether to be hyped or not. Lollipop was one of the weaker songs on what was a pretty good album and 6 foot 7 foot was a pretty good song on a weak album. The first single doesn't really tell much about his albums I guess.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2014, 09:17 AM   #595
noisereductions
invito al cielo

that's a pretty good point louder.
Old 05.05.2014, 02:29 PM   #596
Severian
invito al cielo

The Rappers Wirh the Largest Vocabularies

Holy shit, this is awesome. I want this asshole's job!

Anyway, while some of my favorites appear lower on the scale than I would have thought, I think it's pretty rewarding to see that the top 25% is almost entirely taken up by Wu Tang Clan, and Wu members and affiliates (GFK, GZA, who came in second I think, RZA, Killah Priest, and Wu Tang Clan itself. If they had counted Wu solo projects along with Wu Tang Clan albums, Wu would have made up the entire top half of the goddamn chart.

Finally, some intellectual props given to the smartest group in hip hop.

Kanye was pretty far down. As was Jigga.

Props to Kool Keith!

As for MF DOOM being at a "Shakespearean" level? I love the guy, but who would have guessed? His verses, though all extremely awesome, all sound pretty much the same. Who would have thought that he was mixing it up so much all this time?

Honestly. I can't believe Lil Wayne ranked so low. The guy was goddamn scatological on his first 3 Carter albums.

Aesop Rock at #1 just kinda pisses me off.
I don't recall seeing Guru, Jeru the Damaja or even Biggie on the list, but I didn't get more than two or three minutes to look at it, and it's a little hard to make out the faces.

Anyway, there are some data flaws here. Trust me. Don't think that Aesop Rock is the most articulate and innovative rapper just because he reuses the fewest words. I've never heard him utter a full phrase that was as perfectly strung together, and exquisitely delivered as the seasons* lines from "Mr. Carter," or ... Well, pretty much all of the lyrics on Graduation, which I think is one of the most clever hip hop albums ever made.

Seriously... It may be simple, but this verse alone makes Lil Wayne a better rapper than Aesop will ever be.

* "Man, Man, I got Summer hatin' on me cause I'm hotter then the Sun
Got Spring hating on me cause I ain't never sprung
Winter hatin' on me cause I'm colder than y'all
And I would never, I would never, I would never Fall
I'm bein' hated by the seasons
So fuck y'all who hatin' for no reason"

Man I hope the link works, because this is extremely discussion worthy!!
Old 05.05.2014, 04:25 PM   #597
louder
invito al cielo

my friend showed me that article yesterday. i'm actually not surprised about DOOM's placement, he said he often tries to use "weird" words because they get stuck in people's heads.

as for Kanye, i'm not surprised either. a lot of his lyrics are indeed far more clever than most rappers', but they're pretty simple and straight-forward.

i'm glad to see Wu at the top. those dudes really got the whole package.

was expecting Jay to be higher though.
Old 05.05.2014, 07:38 PM   #598
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
i love Lil Wayne and all sometimes, but his shit can be straight up retarted. like a 13 yr old being as clever as he can be. its not as 'non sequitur' as he would like it to be. just somehow taking the meaning of the word 'pun' and stretching it out to IQ questioning limitations. if that's his game then cool.

he's ok i guess, but something like that verse that Severian posted is just dumb as fug.

Edit: the guy could be much weirder and cooler if he didn't pun the shit out of everything. then add on that little scream he has now. he would be supreme.
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2014, 08:06 PM   #599
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
new song is tight though.
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2014, 11:39 PM   #600
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
how is Talib not higher?

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
272829 30 3132334080 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth