Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page British people of SYG: please DO NOT vote for Cameron.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.09.2010, 06:56 PM   #121
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
seriously what you said is so horribly depressing i'm not even going to contemplate it.

That's because the reality of what he's saying is depressing.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2010, 06:58 PM   #122
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
also, everyone knows the cuts are coming and is expecting whoever is in power to make them, so i doubt it will make the government unpopular for doing what is deemed neccessary. if anything it will make them look like they're doing a good job.

no it won't.

do you even know what the cuts are? an estimated 1 in 10 public sector workers loosing their jobs is not going to look good to people.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2010, 07:00 PM   #123
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
#

no it won't.

do you even know what the cuts are? an estimated 1 in 10 public sector workers loosing their jobs is not going to look good to people.

is that much different to what happened to the miners in that 80s?

infact it will probably be much less dramatic as the livelihood of whole communities won't be at risk, and the tories will sell a bloated public sector an expensive and unneccessary remnant of an unpopular labour government
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2010, 07:08 PM   #124
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
The dramatic cuts to the public sector have been happening for some time now.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2010, 07:11 PM   #125
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i know there have been a lot of cuts because of the olympics
Old 05.09.2010, 07:28 PM   #126
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
yes, when there are estimates of up to 30% cuts to public sector spending it's going to be a lot different.

i dont think you guys want anything to change.

i wrote a long reply to demonrail and tb but as a typed my furious bile it got me onto a different subject and i started thinking instead.

so eventually i will have a blog post up dealing with liberal individualism and its relation to the production of worldviews that overestimate the conservatism of the masses which will be a more useful thing to think about and you can even read it if you want.
Old 05.09.2010, 07:28 PM   #127
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i know there have been a lot of cuts because of the olympics

Seeing how that plays out will be really interesting. It's going to be hard for a government set on such a dramatic programme of cuts to justify the millions that'll be spent putting on an olympic opening ceremony.
Old 05.09.2010, 07:46 PM   #128
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
yes, when there are estimates of up to 30% cuts to public sector spending it's going to be a lot different.

i wrote a long insulting reply to demonrail and tb but as a typed my furious bile it got me onto a different subject and i started thinking instead.

so eventually i will have a blog post up dealing with liberal individualism and its relation to the production of worldviews that overestimate the conservatism of the masses which you can read if you want.

I will read it and, believe it or not, I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying here, at least in principle. I just don't see how it corellates with the way average voters appear to be acting or have acted, at least in my lifetime. I may be completely wrong here, but from what I can see, if the masses aren't all that convinced by for the tories, they're even less convinced by the kind politics that you seem to be endorsing.

I'm aware of the arguments given as to why this is the case but the evidence seems to suggest that it is the case, and until the average voter is able to genuinely relate to the kind of politics you're talking about, it's likely to stay that way.
Old 05.09.2010, 08:14 PM   #129
ni'k
invito al cielo

if i develop it right i could make the link with how people are likely to vote but there are still some flaws to the argument.

i think the masses are definitely more prone to the "let's burn this shit down argument" than "let's try to pretend their are merits to tory policy". far more.

i think everyone massively underestimates the anger there is. there is a tremendous effort in the media to trap our thinking in a reality wherein there can only be subjective individual truth which is apparently so strong and important as to override material conditions. bullshit of course.

i'm very optimistic because there is a material truth to how people are being exploited under capitalism and no amount of suppression will ever take that away. you unlock that and you show it to people and they aren't going to go back to their previous ways of thinking or behaving.

you can be sold a false sense of optimism which will burn you out, or you can get hyper excited about the prescription nihilism that is the dominant expression of culture now. either way there's no escaping the truth that we are coming to the end of capitalism.

man i love life now, i love the oppurtunities to think about this and develop theories and read and imagine a future and i love how we are being driven to a point were the creation of a new social movement is the only way to actually survive. pessismistic i am not. making dire forecasts about how people will behave under a tory government is not what i see as useful. i only see this forecast as the excuse people use to vote tory and remain inactive and resigned to their reality.

when people stop focusing on developing an individual liberalism in the space of a false interiority that is not there but only an illusion of our forced isolation as consumers then they will stop overestimating the conservatism of the masses. because the actions of the masses only appear as a conservative average because its a space wherein my individualism is impotent and absent. so i mistake it as "everyone must be so conservative deep down except me and my beautiful soul" when it's really - everyone is acting so conservative because they are only concerned with preserving their cherished individualism and beautiful liberal soul. this soul is fed on a load of narcissism about what my self would potentially do in situations it will never have any power in. you get arm chair generals and noone doing anything in the community.

and in a way this is useful because you're individualism acts as a tool to navigate commodity society and select relevant information and open up new ways of thinking to you. so it is in some sense very useful. but its a by product of a time, the 90's, when it really did seem like we would have capitalism forever and there could be no alternative. that time is long gone but none of us can really let go of it.

people are not conservative because conservatism is wrong and its a lie. it doesn't work. its an error in thinking and a mistaken worldview. it arising from fear and guilt and results in some of our worst interpretations of the world. the masses aren't right wing because it is not in their interests to be so! it's not in their interests to stick with capitalism, to fight its wars and waste their lives being exploited as labour to keep things going smoothly for the ruling elite.

the price for sticking with it now, seems to be the entitlement/sentence that you manage your own suicide. that's all it really offers us now, that and a now unproductive and dying reality system that's of little use to us.

there isn't really much of an anti capitalism that can feed/clothe/allow you to survive better yet, but there will be. there will have to be. we get to start planning for it. what a beautiful oppurtunity!
Old 05.09.2010, 08:34 PM   #130
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:

my ideals are probably about as leftwing as yours, but unlike you i realise that puts me in a tiny minority. plus there's no point getting excited about something that isn't going to happen.
Old 05.09.2010, 08:42 PM   #131
ni'k
invito al cielo

you're not in the minority. the majority think the same thing if they think about it at all.

and hey, we're gonna make it happen.
Old 05.09.2010, 08:42 PM   #132
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

i'll believe it when i see it
Old 05.09.2010, 08:46 PM   #133
ni'k
invito al cielo

that's why you'll never see it.

anyway i could waste time better some other way. hope you enjoy your misery!
Old 05.10.2010, 04:57 AM   #134
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
you're not in the minority. the majority think the same thing if they think about it at all.

I think your delusion is a symptom of spending a lot of time talking with like-minded people.

And while there is obviously nothing wrong with that, in the meantime the real world rumbles on without you.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2010, 05:47 AM   #135
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
I think your delusion is a symptom of spending a lot of time talking with like-minded people.

And while there is obviously nothing wrong with that, in the meantime the real world rumbles on without you.
I sort of agree, but also disagree, a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2010, 05:50 AM   #136
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
that's why you'll never see it.

anyway i could waste time better some other way. hope you enjoy your misery!

I'm flattered that the revolution you're planning hinges upon my belief in it
Old 05.10.2010, 06:31 AM   #137
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't vote conservative. Do you love me?
Katy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2010, 06:36 AM   #138
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Bollocks.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2010, 07:00 AM   #139
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Uncharacteristically vague. Are you alright?

This is worth a listen if you haven't already: .
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2010, 07:09 AM   #140
ni'k
invito al cielo

ok well enjoy your real world were capitalism isn't on the brink of collapsing and never will. i guess i'll kick back in this spectral netherverse i must be in and go do something else.

on an unrelated note, i have suddenly remembered why i came back here, it was to get sucked down into energy sapping "discussions" with smug cynical arseholes only interested in carving out their own solpsistic niche of ignorance wherein they rule supreme and can decide when to switch to simple name calling or try to show off how much they know but always simply to make sure in the end they leave having affirmed they are the king of message board and lord of their own ignorance. unfortunately i can't handle anymore of this exquisite pleasure for today.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth