Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café II
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.28.2013, 12:33 PM   #941
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_ladyland
Yeezus might actually be my fav album of the year. if not fav then most played... EASILY. to me it's the sound of someone (talentless or not, that's up yo y'all) who DOES NOT GIVE A FUCK. the definite sound of that shit. rivalling trout mask replica. rivalling any fall album. rivalling twin infinities. rivalling the coolest VU album. that's what i look for in music and that's why i love yeezus

Hell yeah. I completely agree, though I think Kanye had given a fuck in the past, about a lot of important things. But I believe the vacant, moronic, materialistic interests of his American audience, who write more about how fat his girlfriend looks in sex tapes than they do about his complete revitalization of hip hop, have probably discouraged him and turned him into an intentional boundary pusher.

Intentional boundary pushing is pretty much the definition of punk. Whether the boundaries are political, social, or sonic/musical really doesn't matter.
Kanye' created an album that is polarizing and confrontational and sharp as a razor to the wrist. And yeah, it's probably my favorite album of the year too. Thought it would be Yo La Tengo, Black Bug, Flaming Lips, or Nature Noir, but Yeezus is more punk than all those records combined.
Severian is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2013, 12:45 PM   #942
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_ladyland
rivalling trout mask replica. rivalling any fall album. rivalling twin infinities. rivalling the coolest VU album. that's what i look for in music and that's why i love yeezus
wow
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2013, 12:48 PM   #943
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
i listen to Yeezus everyday. i like it so much that i can't even go back and listen to one of his older albums.
Old 09.28.2013, 02:53 PM   #944
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Sighs. So we're back to talking about Kanye as the best rapper of the year for a shit record when so many other great, better records in hip-hop came out this year? Self-absorbed crap rap when will you disappear? Again, I have no beef with any of y'all liking the guy or his music, that is a matter of taste, but when we start throwing around "best of the year", "bigger than Michael Jackson," "more influential than the Beatles" bullshit I've had enough! I will call out names, again and again, for the sake of music, not to beef with y'all or with Kanye. Also, the whole, "Kanye resurrected hip-hop" is such condescending bullshit, first people say, "Kanye isn't a rapper, he's a pop-star" but then when they want it to serve their own self-centered purpose, suddenly he's not just a rapper, but he is the messiah of 21st century rap? BULLSHIT! That is simply WAY too disrespectful to all the artists, MCs, DJs, and rappers out there consistently putting out records that have NOTHING to do with Kanye West. Yeah, the guy is on KIIS-FM, but how is that exactly good for rap music or hip-hop? If anything, it DILUTES hip-hop and makes it bullshit. Also, the guy is immaturely self-absorbed, he begs for the spotlight, does anything he can to get it, and yet then when the TMZ aspects of the spotlight harm him, he suddenly wants to bitch and moan, and yet ironically USE THE MEDIA to do it?

They guy is an egomaniac, and I just don't like it. Its nothing personal to louder, or Severian, or any other Kanye fanz out there, but y'all got to have thicker skin than Kanye had over the innocent and cute skit. If you want your guy to be the most popular, expect him to be the most criticized or scrutinized, that is sort of how the spot light works

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2013, 11:44 PM   #945
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
For the record, this is the most "NOT GIVE A FUCK" record of all time. Here is the give even less a fuck part b released posthumously.. Insanely the first one immediately went multi-platinum!!! The early 1990s was wild yo.. Records like this would get you arrested in the 2010s, it made me laugh when they hyped up that 30 seconds of Kendrick Lamar supposedly talking shit, man, MICHAEL JORDAN talked more shit than that ninja. Not Giving A Fuck in 2010s isn't quite anything compared to the insanity of 1991-1995.

Old 09.29.2013, 12:19 AM   #946
louder
invito al cielo

Trout Mask is such a masterpiece.. my mind goes crazy when i listen to that shit, like i don't know what there is about it but i fucking love that album!!
Old 09.29.2013, 12:21 AM   #947
louder
invito al cielo

my fav Beefheart album is either that or Ice Cream for Crow (greatest retirement album of all time? possibly).
Old 09.29.2013, 01:19 AM   #948
louder
invito al cielo

Big Sean's verse on All Me is soo bad haha.

i love Three Six Mafia, even after they went "commercial" they kept making great music.
Old 09.29.2013, 01:50 AM   #949
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
the Captain was trying to prove a point

i have listened to that album too many times and I have yet to get a single point out of it, no matter how much I love it.

I was never saying Yeezus was better than TMR/Twin Infinities and shit, I was simply saying it was the ultimate "I don't give a fuck album," which whether you like it or not is easily apparent. it's nowhere near as good as the albums I listed (easily some of my all time favs), but I'll leave it as is and fuck it.

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2013, 02:10 AM   #950
louder
invito al cielo

everybody mentions Wu-Tang's legendary solo album run but honestly Three Six' is epic and criminally slept on.
Old 09.30.2013, 09:40 PM   #951
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Old 10.01.2013, 06:24 AM   #952
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Sighs. So we're back to talking about Kanye as the best rapper of the year for a shit record when so many other great, better records in hip-hop came out this year? Self-absorbed crap rap when will you disappear? Again, I have no beef with any of y'all liking the guy or his music, that is a matter of taste, but when we start throwing around "best of the year", "bigger than Michael Jackson," "more influential than the Beatles" bullshit I've had enough! I will call out names, again and again, for the sake of music, not to beef with y'all or with Kanye. Also, the whole, "Kanye resurrected hip-hop" is such condescending bullshit, first people say, "Kanye isn't a rapper, he's a pop-star" but then when they want it to serve their own self-centered purpose, suddenly he's not just a rapper, but he is the messiah of 21st century rap? BULLSHIT! That is simply WAY too disrespectful to all the artists, MCs, DJs, and rappers out there consistently putting out records that have NOTHING to do with Kanye West. Yeah, the guy is on KIIS-FM, but how is that exactly good for rap music or hip-hop? If anything, it DILUTES hip-hop and makes it bullshit. Also, the guy is immaturely self-absorbed, he begs for the spotlight, does anything he can to get it, and yet then when the TMZ aspects of the spotlight harm him, he suddenly wants to bitch and moan, and yet ironically USE THE MEDIA to do it?

They guy is an egomaniac, and I just don't like it. Its nothing personal to louder, or Severian, or any other Kanye fanz out there, but y'all got to have thicker skin than Kanye had over the innocent and cute skit. If you want your guy to be the most popular, expect him to be the most criticized or scrutinized, that is sort of how the spot light works

Just to be clear, I never meant to say Kanye was bigger or more influential than MJ or the Beatles (he's not... no way... not possible unless he releases at least another 6 albums as definitive, influential, and popular as his first); I just meant that relatively speaking, I can't think of a lot of (any?) current artists that come any closer to being comparable to those two than Kanye.

Nobody will ever be more influential than the Beatles, but MJ might have been their solo equivalent had he not opted for weirdness and creepiness (whiteness); I just don't think Kanye's comparison is THAT far off.

Radiohead's the most influential group of the 2000's-2010's, but they're nowhere near even Nirvana-level popularity. Kanye has the mass cultural zeitgeist wrapped around his little finger. Or at least, he did... he's starting to sound a bit like a meth-head, and I'm not super happy about that. Hopefully he calms down a tick so he doesn't allow fuckers like Kimmel to completely assassinate his character.
Old 10.01.2013, 06:34 AM   #953
louder
invito al cielo

Danny Brown's "Old" is out for stream on Spotify if anyone's interested.
Old 10.01.2013, 10:41 AM   #954
louder
invito al cielo

so who's the Radiohead of hip-hop - Kanye or OutKast? hmmm..
Old 10.01.2013, 10:37 PM   #955
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

Whoa, are you deliberately pulling from the rambling backlog of transcribed conversations, ADD space-outs, and "deep thoughts" that has provided material for so many of my SYG posts?

I mentioned this a while back. Well, I mentioned my Kanye VS. Shabbazz conversation with a friend, and my own "Outkast = Radiohead" call, made around the time I first heard Spearkerboxx/The Love Below.

But I think it might be Flying Lotus. hah.
Old 10.01.2013, 10:41 PM   #956
Severian
invito al cielo

I just bought Drake's album (the one with the tolerable cover) and I like it just fine. It's just basic, is all. I enjoy it a lot more than I expected.

Like Magna carta, it's probably going to get old pretty fast, but it's good shit, and I can't say I have anything against Drake in general.

TREE stomps his ass, though. TREE owns the soul beat in 2013.
Old 10.01.2013, 10:47 PM   #957
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I've decided THIS is the signature track from PWOWR.. I read some reviews, Priest is to underground for mainstream, its not rap in the conventional sense, and its not jewelz in the hood sense, it is the middle centered by pure wisdom. I've listen to music by a lot of very wise men, who drop a lot of ancient wisdom on their records, but Killah Priest is on a war path against the Devil on this record..

Quote:
Here's the clues, let me walk you through when you pray you talk to God when you meditate God talks to you, you seem confused, we're living in the Revelations, the head of the nation is satan, conjugation over conquered races, now we're facing condemnation while I'm contemplating confrontation.. when Moses was born the clouds in the skies parted when Jesus was born everything grew figs in the forest, Mohammed was born the stars aligned four words lived Islamic, Priest was born all the water turned chocolate..

Quote:

If you're a hater of radiohead then its kanye, if your a hater of kanye then its the Kastz..

My vote is that radiohead=outkast but its an almost pretentious comparison, personally I think radiohead is radiohead and outkast it outkast. further, I don't think radiohead are as necesarily groundbreaking or genre defining as their critical acclaim, however, I also adore radiohead, period. As to Outkast, I would argue that they are indeed impacting to hip-hop in huge way, the way radiohead is said to have changed music. I can agree that Kanye West is big, but I don't know if influential or redefining is exactly appropriate in this case. There aren't a bunch of Kanye sounding rappers or beatz out there, he is original in that regard. However there is a difference between being big and being influential. I suppose in this regard, radiohead isn't influential either, there aren't exactly a dozen radiohead sounding bands out there over the past 20 years. I can't speak for British music though, dear God help us, Glice what do you say?

Old 10.01.2013, 11:06 PM   #958
louder
invito al cielo

new Tyler, Earl, Hodgy & Domo (basically OF ) track: https://soundcloud.com/ofwgkta-official/look
Old 10.01.2013, 11:08 PM   #959
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
new Tyler, Earl, Hodgy & Domo (basically OF ) track: https://soundcloud.com/ofwgkta-official/look

Ok, I admit, I'm feelin that.

Old 10.01.2013, 11:18 PM   #960
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I just bought Drake's album (the one with the tolerable cover) and I like it just fine. It's just basic, is all. I enjoy it a lot more than I expected.

Like Magna carta, it's probably going to get old pretty fast, but it's good shit, and I can't say I have anything against Drake in general.

TREE stomps his ass, though. TREE owns the soul beat in 2013.
good comparsion. both are pretty good, forgettable albums. but one was shitted on and the other was hailed as a masterpiece. fucking critics.

honestly i used to stan Drake during the Take Care era. he was making music that i couldn't help but love. but i had to force myself to sit through NWTS, and after a few listens i have to admit this is nowhere as good.. ah well.
454647 48 49505158 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth