Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Is music better when you're a teenager?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.30.2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Kanamori Happy
little trouble girl

Kanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's assesKanamori Happy kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think I'll ever enjoy a record as much as I did Soundgarden's Superunknown
when I was about 14 years of age. Is that normal? I'm 28 now. Am I getting old?
Old 04.30.2008, 04:12 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
no, you dont have enough experience. when yr a teenager the songs are your experience vicariously, as you get older the songs reflect yr own experience, have more meaning, have become a fixture in yr life and are thus better. For example, I listen to a lot of roots reggae. Songs about biblical narratives and religious events are only really significant after you have experience and understanding of these things, so that when you first hear the songs, that are your exposure, but when you listen to them later, they are your memories and reflections [ie, when I hear "it was Elijah, who prayed that it did not rain" from Bunny Wailer, it did not mean as much to me when I was 17 then now when I have had much more experience and understanding of what the narrative of Elijah means to begin with]

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 04:16 PM   #3
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I literally said aloud to my friend last night (and I've got a decade+ on you) that I was buying more music than I ever have and I enjoy it as much as I ever did, though I did note a lot of it is not song-oriented.

I do think the neurochemistry of your brain changes as you get older and as you experience life your enjoyment and dislikes flatten out a bit. I don't think I enjoy anything as much as I enjoyed the swingset when I was 3 or 4, you know? I was playing peekaboo with a 18 month old last night and I don't think ANYTHING has ever given me the joy this little tot was getting from our little game.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 04:17 PM   #4
MaxBeta
empty page

MaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's asses
yeah i enjoyed everclear's so much for the afterglow a bunch when i was 14 because i didn't know all the sounds the world kept. it has a special kind of nostalgia for me because i was musically retarded and dug it then, and I guess i'm still 19, but I don't think I'd enjoy hell songs by daughters any less if i were to hear it for the first time when I'll be 25 then when I did when I was 18 or whatever.
MaxBeta is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
when you are younger , if you have not heard a ton of music, certain things hit you with a full emotional force. human beings do not begin to make decisions using their logic until age 19-22. Before that, most decisions run thorugh the emotional cortex of the brain.
that is why when you are younger, the music can bring out so many emotions in you, you react emotionally, it feels IMPORTANT, and it feels like YOU, as if the band was writing a song specifically for you.

I used to think peace sells but who's buying was the most genius album ever. i listened to it flipping the tape in my walkman over and over and over again for months. the album is not that good to be worthy olf such adoration but tell it to the kid I was at 14.
Old 04.30.2008, 05:19 PM   #6
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
no, it just takes more time to find those records that mesmerise you the same way as you get older.

anyway, the older you get the greater one's ability to appreciate music becomes, so i would say music gets better as you get older.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 05:24 PM   #7
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
14 years ago, I was listening to a buncha emo/HC shit. Glad I grew outta that. And I'm glad so many of those bands and musicians grew out of it, too.

When you're a teenager, music is often an important part of your identity, and it goes hand-in-hand with style of dress. If you're into punk rock or metal or hip hop, there was a certain type of clothing you'd wear to put up a sign: "THIS IS WHAT I LISTEN TO." If you were a new face at a new school, it's how other kids might decide to let you hang out with them.

If you found gateway bands like the Cure or Nirvana or Soundgarden in the 90s, surely that might seem refreshing compared to the ubiquitous Whitney and Paula and NKOTB, Poison, Winger, etc., but for kids that stuck with "alternative" music (in the strict Webster's Dictionary sense nd not the 90s advertising buzzword sense), how much deeper might they dig? It depended largely on their own self-initiative and level of interest in music, plus the accessibility of portals to a wider world of music than what they knew and what their friends knew from MTV or reading Spin or Alternative Press.

Most kids (and adults, actually) need new music to be spooned to them by a trusted source, be it the media or influential friends. There are casual fans who rate music's importance in their life below other hobbies, and there are dedicated crazies out there (like a lot of us!) who perhaps rate it #1 even about our jobs and personal relationships. Some crazies are content just to collect every album by Madonna or U2 on every possible format. But some, once they are into the portal to "underground" shit get curious about how far it goes, and by age 14, most people aren't even into the portal yet.

I know that for me, I was very lucky to find one of the world's very best freeform radio stations by accident while looking for something to breakdance to, and I wound up falling in love with Wire and The Fall that day, and then the next carrot on the stick was Crispy Ambulance, which taught me the important lesson that the record stores at the local mall didn't have every record and cassette ever made.

I also saw a picture in a Thrasher magazine of Ian Mackaye screaming into a microphone, and he was extending the mic toward the crowd, and about six kids were lunging toward the mic to shout together, and Ian's eyes and their eyes were fixed together with so much determination, it was very intriguing to me. It seemed so different than the live concert footage you might see on MTV, where the audience was separated and relegated to idol worship. I became curious about live music a more democratic experience because of a picture in a magazine.

So, to answer your question, I think it depends on your circumstances and experiences growing up and listening and finding new music, but I can only guess that for most people here (and especially the most opinionated people here), your taste in music will revolutionize in your 20s and leave many teen favorites in the dust. And if you stick with it into your 30s beyond the casual observer level and keep an open mind and keep striving for that next fave, you'll keep finding it, and even more of your archive will become obsolete.

Music is so often such a socially divisive thing as a teenager. I know that at my school, the tables kids ate lunch at were segregated into musical appreciation societies as much as anything else. Even subgroups of jocks and brainy kids were divided that way. Kids I talk to today say it's much the same way at school today. But a serious music fan will learn eventually that all the music under the sun shares some kinda common ancestry. And the more you understand about where music's been, the better you can figure out where it might be going, and the better prepared you are put new music in a perspective. Surely, many fans burn out into their 20s, 30s, or 40s and get jaded, and perhaps they quit listening to new music altogether, but if you keep finding new music to please you, you will recognize when we are in the midst of another one of those halcyon ages. And I do believe we're in the midst of one right now. While rock music will never be as dynamic and exciting as it was between 1965-1968 or maybe 1977-1980, the last couple of years have been the best time I've enjoyed as a rabid record collector and compulsive show-goer.

With understanding comes even deeper appreciation of old faves that remain strong. Wire and The Fall are to this day very important to me. They sounded cool to me when I was a kid, but now I really know that they are great.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 05:30 PM   #8
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Too many words there.

I only read soundbites.

To answer the original question: EVERYTHING is better when you're a teenager apart from sex.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 05:41 PM   #9
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Nice writing, Dead-Air.

And to think, I deleted a post somewhat recently because I mentioned my checkered ha breakdancing past as a teen.

But about music and age...
Yeah, young is good. Tabula Rosa ha and all that. So is old. Wizened, quirky, and so on. Everything's relative. Although, sometimes younger means anything, and sometimes older means conditioned. Okay, yeah, I'm keeping it brief here.
I usually like to order my little hierarchies, but this one's too broad to do so in any conclusive way other than write at length as a few have.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 05:49 PM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Writing when pissed is a bad idea. I'll start with that caveat.

The problem is that the majority of rock/ pop music is dumb, and while the aesthetic sensibility may mature beyond this, the worrying [perhaps in the archaic sense of 'worrying'] majority of people don't sophisticate their tastes to match their time of life. It concerns me that most people here seem stuck in the musical infantilism of rock music. I don't have a problem with that in itself, and some of you may have noticed a certain puerilism to my [projected] tastes, but the fact that four million [pop-cultural] years on a [musically] simple record is still somehow better than a very similar but newer one. For instance - Loveless is simply an ok record. Nothing more, nothing less. It's the gravitas with which an ok record is imbued that concerns me. Obviously, if you're actually capable of appreciating something at the teenage ground-zero of emotional intensity that is teenhood, then more power to you. But I rarely believe that to be the case.

Again - writing hammered = bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 07:28 PM   #11
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
I only read soundbites.
Sightbites.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 07:30 PM   #12
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
noo

i was gona just say no, but they said the text was too short

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 07:34 PM   #13
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
"He said that faith is like a glass of water. When you're young, the glass is small, and it's easy to fill up. But the older you get, the bigger the glass gets, and the same amount of liquid doesn't fill it anymore. Periodically, the glass has to be refilled." - Dogma.

This applies somehow.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 11:11 PM   #14
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
no way, i love music a lot more now.

and by the way, i never got that "outgrowing" thing, i pretty much listen to everything i have been listening since i was like 8 or 9, some stuff more, some stuff less. and not for nostalgia reasons.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 11:14 PM   #15
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
ive grown out of stuff, i definitley think thats normal as you get more mature, develop your identity, etc..

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 11:16 PM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Sure, when I was 13 and discovering Melt Banana, Merzbow, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mr. Bungle, the Locust, Atari Teenage Riot, and shit like that, it blew my mind and I never thought I'd find anything better...

But as I've matured in the past 8-9 years, I've been able to appreciate a lot more. Stuff like John Fahey probably would have bored me to tears when I was 13, but now I can't live without it. So, I think as I grow older, I can appreciate more and I definitely love more and even the old stuff I liked when I was younger, I can still appreciate it for what it was. So, no, it's not better when you're a teenager.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 11:30 PM   #17
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
ive grown out of stuff, i definitley think thats normal as you get more mature, develop your identity, etc..

that's never really happened to me.

it's sometimes like i hear something and i'm like "i'm so tired of hearing that" and then a few months later, i get to listen to that again or i get an itch to listen to it again and go "yeah, this is pretty awesome, i know why i liked this in the first place".

i'm a weirdo, i know.
Old 04.30.2008, 11:53 PM   #18
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Led Zeppelin is better when you're a teenager, but otherwise no.

I've had essentially the same tastes since I discovered Sonic Youth, Sun Ra, and the like when I was 18 some twenty-odd years ago. I definitely listened to a bit more "rock" music back then than I do now, and listen to more experimental, noise, ambient, and electronic stuff now. But those are just the proportions, the overall range is the same. I thankfully don't have the angst I had back then, but I still like to fuck shit up.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2008, 12:58 AM   #19
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I don't grow out of stuff necessarily, but I do look back on things as "well, that interested me more at the time than it does now." The Locust, for example... I was making weird music when I was 13 in this band stagedive suicide, mixing sci fi keyboards and techno bleeps with grindcore screaming and fast drums... and then someone said, "Oh, you might like the Locust" so I checked them out and I really loved it.

But looking back, I don't think their music is that great, I just thought it was cool that they were doing that stuff. In fact, I think most of their songs/records are pretty shit, though Plague Soundscapes and Flight of the Wounded Locust have some good stuff. Really, that band's all about the drummer.

So, yeah, it's not so much "growing out" of stuff.. another thing is when I heard Strikeforce Diablo a while back and thought they were cool and then I listened to Fugazi and Jawbox and a bunch of bands that they sound identical to... I'm not saying Strikeforce is a bad band, just.. you know... I don't have an urge to listen to them because thier sound was bettered by other people.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2008, 01:05 AM   #20
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

ohh yeah, there's bands that you go "hmm, not as good as when i first heard them" but i can still say i like a bunch of songs still.

the locust, yeah, totally, but the thing is, i still think plague soundscapes is a masterpiece, as much as i hate new erections, i still think that album is one of the best albums of the decade. and yeah, i know there's better bands than them but i still love plague soundscapes.

same with tons of bands and albums.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth