Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Nine Inch Nails
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.01.2016, 09:43 PM   #81
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Ugh
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2016, 11:33 PM   #82
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
today i painted an espresso stained piece of oak wood and it made me cry. the texture was beyond belief. like petting a real life leopard coat. amazing. all before my eyes. all the energy and hunting strife and stamina came alive on my fingers.
reminds me of the acid trip i took last week

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.02.2016, 08:32 AM   #83
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
today i painted an espresso stained piece of oak wood and it made me cry. the texture was beyond belief. like petting a real life leopard coat. amazing. all before my eyes. all the energy and hunting strife and stamina came alive on my fingers.

Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.02.2016, 02:45 PM   #84
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
I like NIN.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2016, 09:33 AM   #85
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
I like NIN.

Cool. I like that you like NIN.
Old 08.04.2016, 10:21 AM   #86
Severian
invito al cielo

In other NIN-related quasi-news, you know that horrendously overrated "real punk" band Savages? Surely you do, especially if you read Pitchfork more than you'd like to admit because it's just part of your daily routine at this point (like me).

Well, Savages' sister band, KITE BASE, just released an utterly baffling cover of "Something I Can Never Have," the excellent OG NIN ballad and centerpiece of Pretty Hate Machine. Check it out here, but maybe read the rest of my post first unless you're totally bored and just need something to look at.

I call the cover "baffling" because it's a true WTF on loop. It actually starta off on a really interesting note. Monotone bass guitar feedback lends a sense of foreboding to the minimalist a cappella "bop-bop-bops" that act as the covers inexplicable anchor. Sounds stupid, but this part works for me, and I was kind of down with the song for the duration of the intro. It felt a bit like what I imagine a tongue-in-cheek Sleater-Kinney cover of the song might sound like (that would be awesome, by the way.)

But then things fall apart (no pun intended, swear it), as the song suffers from the same unfortunate Ms.interpretarion of punk that makes befalls Savages' work. The problem, as I see it, is in the vocals. Or, more specifically, the vocalist. An overly emotive whatshername starts doing what appears to be her best Melissa Ethridge imitation, singing the lyrics in a painfully earnest manner with all kinds of unecessary little affectations that make this sound more like Florence Welch or Stevie Nicks than anything in the family of punk... or industrial... or even "alternative."

It's a missed opportunity. What we get is an interesting and promising reduction of the song's music, with vocals by Jewel a la "Who Will Save Your Soul" (only less yodely). This is what's wrong with Savages, too. The spirit of punk is present in their music, but it clashes with a vocal performance so conventional that there is no justification for it. Not in 2016. Perhaps in 1992... on pop radio... or something. I don't know.

But I get why I don't like Savages now. Id never watched a video of theirs before, and watching this helped me identify the aesthetic clash in their music that makes it neither pop enough for fun, or punk enough to be taken seriously.
Also, whatsername makes the ALWAYS BAD decision to stick with the same basic vocal approach from the original (minus the whispering), making it just a clean, sterile, joyless and purposeless endeavor entirely.

If you're going to cover a song, especially in a different musical style, do something new with the vocals! Otherwise what's the goddamn point? What if the Beatles had performed "Till There Was You" exactly as it had been performed in the fucking Music Man? Snooze.

Or, more appropriately, what if Trent Reznor had repeated Adam Ant's vocal delivery on "Physical?" It wouldn't be the asskicking out-of-nowhere kick to the balls that it had been as the deeply hidden track #98 on Broken. He sang it like a serial killer! It was awesome! And of course he gave it a thumping, ominous organic-industrial makeover on the musical end.

This could have been a cool cover with the right vox. Unfortunately it's a god awful mess and I can't imagine why anyone felt compelled to make this shit.

There. That's what Severian says.
Old 08.04.2016, 06:07 PM   #87
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
me and trent are soul bros. percolating in the thick stew of it all. brewing up techno black magik farts. with tried and true geetars coming along for the ride of course
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2016, 06:25 PM   #88
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
reminds me of the acid trip i took last week

I;ve never took acid. but the best way to prepare for shooms is don't eat crap. just eat fresh fruits and veggies if that at all. very small amounts for 2 days so you can shit all that nasty junk food shit out. all the nasty build up shit. sorta like a mini enema, like nasty 2 girls one cups nasty butt dump/spews. if you don't have excess then drinking cheap booze will work too. .
Old 08.05.2016, 08:15 AM   #89
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
...like nasty 2 girls one cups nasty butt dump/spews.

You misspelled sexy.

edit: And I enjoy Savages, actually. Was thoroughly more impressed with their live show than I expected to be.
Old 08.06.2016, 08:01 PM   #90
pepper_green
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpuff
You misspelled sexy.

edit: And I enjoy Savages, actually. Was thoroughly more impressed with their live show than I expected to be.

you still like rocky road too?!?
Old 08.08.2016, 08:17 AM   #91
Peterpuff
stalker

Quote:
you still like rocky road too?!?

Only in a cup. I find the consistency to be a little chunky for cones, personally.
Old 08.08.2016, 10:25 AM   #92
Severian
invito al cielo

I don't have anything *against* Savages per se. But I really don't get the over the top hype surrounding them. Are they terrible? Nah. But I haven't found anything on either of their records that made me want to listen to more. Rather, I've heard the kind of stuff that makes me say fuck it and pull out Pink Flag.
Old 08.08.2016, 03:49 PM   #93
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
sorry I was not bothered to read this thread. seriously, i am sorry. i am not much of fun, maybe except one sad track of NIN on Natural Born Killers Sto. I just want to ask, did anyone mentioned Alessandro Cortini in this thread? I think he knows his stuff..talking about analog synths.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2018, 10:44 PM   #94
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Heh, there's been an entire EP* trilogy since the last post - thoughts?

My opinion: Year Zero is easily the most underrated NIN album and is probably my favourite out of the whole lot. The Downward Spiral is a close second, and whenever I'm dedicated enough to go through the whole thing The Fragile is magnificent.

What's people's opinion on The Slip? It seems to be divisive from what I've seen, but I love it.

And also, how cool is it that we finally get 'The Perfect Drug' live?

*I refuse to accept Bad Witch as an LP
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2018, 12:48 AM   #95
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
how cool is it that we finally get 'The Perfect Drug' live?

Woof, we get 'And All That Could Have Been' now too. And the whispers are that there'll be some big Fragile stuff near the end of the tour.

Damn, it sucks that I'm missing out.
Old 10.28.2018, 12:39 PM   #96
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Heh, there's been an entire EP* trilogy since the last post - thoughts?

My opinion: Year Zero is easily the most underrated NIN album and is probably my favourite out of the whole lot. The Downward Spiral is a close second, and whenever I'm dedicated enough to go through the whole thing The Fragile is magnificent.

What's people's opinion on The Slip? It seems to be divisive from what I've seen, but I love it.

And also, how cool is it that we finally get 'The Perfect Drug' live?

*I refuse to accept Bad Witch as an LP

I like Bad Witch, but like Add Violence and the other one, I consider it an EP... it’s about as long as Kanye’s “Ye,” which I also refuse to consider a full-length album.

I’ve always liked NIN, but the glory days were the ‘90s. Early ‘00s stuff has some nice moments but doesn’t quite feel the same. The Slip and Ghosts I-IV are my favorites from the ‘00s era.

Didn’t care much for Hesitation Marks.
The EPS are an improvement from that one but don’t get me as excited as a full-length or a badass Reznor/Ross soundtrack like The Social Network or Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

“The Perfect Drug” is one of NIN’s best — and most underrated — songs. The radio edit was just as punchy, just a groovy l and just as ballistic-missile chaotic in the unwinding final third as “Closer.” Excellent single, excellent song.

NIN learned from Aphex Twin. Radiohead learned from both, whether they admit it or not. NIN did OK Computer back when Thom & Co. still had the Bends.
Old 10.28.2018, 05:05 PM   #97
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I like Bad Witch, but like Add Violence and the other one, I consider it an EP... it’s about as long as Kanye’s “Ye,” which I also refuse to consider a full-length album.

The shortest 'album' I've ever seen is Group Sex, by a punk band called Circle Jerks. It's all of 15 minutes long. By that standard, Bad Witch is definitely an album - but I don't accept it as one, because it was sold as an EP.

Add Violence > Bad Witch > Not The Actual Events, with all of them being about mid-range.

Quote:
I’ve always liked NIN, but the glory days were the ‘90s. Early ‘00s stuff has some nice moments but doesn’t quite feel the same. The Slip and Ghosts I-IV are my favorites from the ‘00s era.

The Slip was the first full-length album that I looked at, no doubt because it was free. I'd probably say that it's a good introduction to NIN, because it covers most of the areas that they've reached beforehand.

Quote:
Didn’t care much for Hesitation Marks.
The EPS are an improvement from that one but don’t get me as excited as a full-length or a badass Reznor/Ross soundtrack like The Social Network or Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Should really relisten to the soundtracks. I looked at HM for the first time in a while last week and, while it's not as bad as I'd initially thought, it's still unlikely to be one I'll choose to listen to.

Quote:
“The Perfect Drug” is one of NIN’s best — and most underrated — songs. The radio edit was just as punchy, just a groovy l and just as ballistic-missile chaotic in the unwinding final third as “Closer.” Excellent single, excellent song.

Thanks to a compilation album that my dad had, that was the first NIN song I heard. It's brilliant.

Quote:
NIN learned from Aphex Twin.

I'm assuming that you've heard his 'remixes' on Further Down the Spiral?
Old 10.29.2018, 10:47 AM   #98
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
The shortest 'album' I've ever seen is Group Sex, by a punk band called Circle Jerks. It's all of 15 minutes long. By that standard, Bad Witch is definitely an album - but I don't accept it as one, because it was sold as an EP.

Add Violence > Bad Witch > Not The Actual Events, with all of them being about mid-range.

The Slip was the first full-length album that I looked at, no doubt because it was free. I'd probably say that it's a good introduction to NIN, because it covers most of the areas that they've reached beforehand.

Should really relisten to the soundtracks. I looked at HM for the first time in a while last week and, while it's not as bad as I'd initially thought, it's still unlikely to be one I'll choose to listen to.

Thanks to a compilation album that my dad had, that was the first NIN song I heard. It's brilliant.

I'm assuming that you've heard his 'remixes' on Further Down the Spiral?

Yes, I’ve heard all that stuff. Been a NIN fan since about 1992/93.

The Social Network and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo are essential NIN-fan fan listening.

I’ve strayed from the project in adulthood, but I go through phases and at one time NIN was up there with Sonic Youth and Radiohead for me.

Slip was your first? You sound like a youngen. Hah.
Out NIN experiences sound vastly different.
Old 10.29.2018, 05:08 PM   #99
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Slip was your first? You sound like a youngen. Hah.
Out NIN experiences sound vastly different.

Well, considering I was born around the same time that Still was released...
Old 10.30.2018, 08:17 AM   #100
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Well, considering I was born around the same time that Still was released...

Whoah. So you’re, like, 16?

Whoah.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth