Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Flaming Lips Vs. Sonic Youth
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who is the BETTER band?
The Flaming Lips 2 2.70%
Sonic Youth 66 89.19%
I can't decide, they are both great! 6 8.11%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04.15.2007, 11:32 AM   #101
The Usher
stalker

The Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's asses
The flaming lips are a fuckin joke, a joke I tell you!

The Usher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2007, 11:35 AM   #102
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Stop Posting In This Thread
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2007, 07:56 PM   #103
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
The bottom line is the Flaming Lips (by Wayne Coyne & Michael Ivans own admission) had no creativity and/or musical direction and then Stephen Drozd stepped in the picture and started to write everything and all the music became like bowie/ny dolls/overproduced/smoke and mirrors. The band has gone on record saying this, OK? Therefore The Flaming Lips are a fluke, a joke that has merely lasted this long, am I saying their music or shows are horrible, no, I'm simply saying they have done nothing special or noteworthy. OK, so their shows are probably the most visually stimulating exsperience you can have whilst attending a concert, but that doesn't make up for the over-production and sense of sugar coating the music gives you, especially the new album, save for 3 songs.

Sonic Youth has spawned countless and countless and countless imitators and inspired a legion of people around the world. Their music is built on creativity, substance and excitement, yes even the newer stuff. So, maybe the shows are less visually oriented, but thats because they are better musicians and don't need costumes and glitter to attract people.

the bottom line: SY=,originality,creativity,high quality, substance
Flaming Lips=production,effects,over the top,indie-pop
I have to disagree. Not that SY is better, because honestly I don't think such a question should arise in the first place. It's not fair, it's not like they even make similar music. Apples and oranges, people. But to say FL had NO creativity before Drozd is simply incorrect. Granted, he almost single-handedly made them what they are today, but they were very good pre-Drozd. He just took them in a different direction. In fact, without Drozd, if they continued to progress in what they were doing before, them touring with SY last year would have probably made more sense. And as far as their amazing live shows that can transform the hardest of punk rockers into giddy little children, it is almost exclusively from the mind of Coyne.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2007, 08:40 PM   #104
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
now this is where we disagree i think the flaming lips have evolved more than sonic youth have. they might not be as creative.
I totally agree. Simply on the basis of evolution, Flaming Lips FAR surpasses Sonic Youth. Not saying that this is any indication of their music - like I said before, I don't get into the whole "who's better than who" discussion - but listening to SY era 87 and then 07, it's believable they are the same band. With the Flaming Lips on the other hand, unless you are already aware of their discography, you would probably not realize they are the same.

(Sorry if my arguements sound elementry, I am very tired, and also none too bright )
Old 04.15.2007, 11:42 PM   #105
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
The Flaming Lips have had their moments in their career and all, but c'mon, they were covering Sonic Youth back in the '80s!
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 07:58 AM   #106
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
I have to disagree. Not that SY is better, because honestly I don't think such a question should arise in the first place. It's not fair, it's not like they even make similar music. Apples and oranges, people. But to say FL had NO creativity before Drozd is simply incorrect. Granted, he almost single-handedly made them what they are today, but they were very good pre-Drozd. He just took them in a different direction. In fact, without Drozd, if they continued to progress in what they were doing before, them touring with SY last year would have probably made more sense. And as far as their amazing live shows that can transform the hardest of punk rockers into giddy little children, it is almost exclusively from the mind of Coyne.

I retracted my statement of no creativity earlier to screamingskull, I meant to convey a sense of talent or originality. You have to agree with that (originality), come on, the person who made them sound somewhat original was Drozd, like you said they have several era's and in all those era's its an outsider of the original lineup that brings in that era's sound. I was a bit passionatte in my post (calling them a fluke, a joke etc...) and for that I'm sorry, I didn't mean to slam them that hard, but it was that easy, I don't believe in the better or not issue, but when it is pushed (this thread) I seem to evolve into this angry, ogerous being that bludgeons whatever I don't see eye to eye with.

I like the FL, especially CTM,Soft Bulletin,Yoshimi. Like you said it isn't fair to compare bands, they are apples and oranges, but you have to agree if SY is an apple and the Fl are an orange, then the apple would taste a lot better comapred to the quality of other apples, than the orange would compared to other oranges.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 06:53 PM   #107
afterthefact
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
I retracted my statement of no creativity earlier to screamingskull, I meant to convey a sense of talent or originality. You have to agree with that (originality), come on, the person who made them sound somewhat original was Drozd, like you said they have several era's and in all those era's its an outsider of the original lineup that brings in that era's sound. I was a bit passionatte in my post (calling them a fluke, a joke etc...) and for that I'm sorry, I didn't mean to slam them that hard, but it was that easy, I don't believe in the better or not issue, but when it is pushed (this thread) I seem to evolve into this angry, ogerous being that bludgeons whatever I don't see eye to eye with.

I like the FL, especially CTM,Soft Bulletin,Yoshimi. Like you said it isn't fair to compare bands, they are apples and oranges, but you have to agree if SY is an apple and the Fl are an orange, then the apple would taste a lot better comapred to the quality of other apples, than the orange would compared to other oranges.
Wow, very well put. And I too apologize, I failed to noticed your previous retraction of your statement. I also am aroused to anger on the topic of music with great ease, and I did not see any posts after your first one, I saw only red. And what you said here is correct, as far as originality, they had nothing until Drozd. I wouldn't go as far as to say they were covering Sonic Youth as Dead-Air says, but they were definately ripping off Butthole Surfers. And if Flaming Lips are apples, and Sonic Youth are oranges, then Butthole Surfers are lima beans, and it that respect Flaming Lips are quite alright with me.
Old 04.17.2007, 12:19 PM   #108
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
they were definately ripping off Butthole Surfers.

I can get behind that!

I made a post saying just about the same thing on the Surfer's forum awhile back (cool people, but dead bands never bring forums new blood). nobody saw the connection! there's a lot of older tracks that are straight Paul Leary rip-offs.

honestly though, the person who's had the most influence on the Lips for the longest time is Dave Fridmann. everything after he started producing sounded like Mercury Rev to me.

these are not bad things however, and in fact most bands I like take influence from other bands I like. there's very little that's cool, new and original anymore....

I may not listen to the Flaming Lips much these days, but they still have a fond place in my heart from being my favorite band for many many years.

besides the music, I can honestly say that they are among the coolest, nicest and most genuine people on the planet (and maybe the MULTIVERSE). too many other "rockstars" let that shit go to their head.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2007, 12:43 PM   #109
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I read that the Flaming Lips eat poo pooo
Old 04.17.2007, 04:49 PM   #110
timtimtim
children of satan

timtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud of
they both rock, I listen to sonic youth more though.
I think Yo La Tengo vs Sonic Youth would be a muich better comparison
timtimtim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2007, 06:28 PM   #111
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly

honestly though, the person who's had the most influence on the Lips for the longest time is Dave Fridmann. everything after he started producing sounded like Mercury Rev to me.

these are not bad things however, and in fact most bands I like take influence from other bands I like. there's very little that's cool, new and original anymore....

yeah, nothing's all that original anymore, such are the times...
sounds like Mercury Rev covering Pink Floyd/David Bowie
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2007, 06:43 PM   #112
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Never really got the Flaming Lips, to be honest. Their DVD biog thing was good, though.
Old 04.17.2007, 06:57 PM   #113
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
sounds like Mercury Rev covering Pink Floyd/David Bowie

yr close!

I cackled.

true story.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rs1urp imo
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth