Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page i'm going to see My Bloody Valentine tonight
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.22.2009, 10:52 AM   #41
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendcatcher
josh wasn't selling anything. he played an electric set with the drummer from lift to experience and a different bass player. they were incredible.

Shit, the drummer who (literally) got the boot? They weren't playing any LTE songs were they?
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2009, 11:13 AM   #42
subq
empty page

subq has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
everyone who said they couldn't recreate sound of loveless live were wrong. maybe they've had enough time to figure it out, but it sounded great. If you're not a tightwad like mostly everyone who posted, and you like MBV, i'd highly recommend going. the 20 + minutes of noise at end became so loud i could feel my teeth vibrating. Fantastic
subq is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2009, 11:22 AM   #43
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Are you free between the 7th and 12th of May?

How 'free' is free? Potentially. I have a feeling I have some recording commitments, but if you tell me (by PMs, if you're feeling shy) what it is I'll make a concrete decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2009, 12:43 PM   #44
jerome231
empty page

jerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarmaker
Shit, the drummer who (literally) got the boot? They weren't playing any LTE songs were they?

The show was fantastic. As soon as Andy kicked the first song into high gear, beating the snare into submission, it was on. They played a 5-6 song set, probably 40 min. -- the first 2 songs were unknown to me, then they dug out full fleshed-out versions of 'Angels vs. Devils' and something else recognized from the acoustic live shows, though not in that order. Josh is definitely battling his demons onstage. Fuck, I'm still overwhelmed and it was the next best thing to seeing LTE live.

Josh hinted at more shows, and that "they were rusty." Bowled me over, and would have crowned them the champions of the night had it not been for that pesky headlining band called My Bloody Valentine. Shields took special attention to thanking Pearson for opening. What an amazing night. I'd say more, but this beer buzz is coaxing me into passing-out submission...

Here's what the Austin American Statesman's Joe Gross had to say about Josh's opening set:

Quote:Josh Pearson opened the show with a bassist and drummer; this was nearly as surprising as the MBV gig itself. In 2001, Pearson’s old Denton band, Lift to Experience, released one of the all-time great post-MVB albums, “The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads,” a double CD blend of hard-shell Christian images and guitar noise, then pulled a similar disappearing act.

It had been years since Pearson, now looking somewhat Christ-like, had played in Austin with an electric trio. Here, he dreged up loud, clamoring guitar ghosts with newer material, brash songs with titles such as “Angels vs, Devils” and “the Clash.” A new studio album would be wonderful.

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/conte...entine_at.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8981436...7617094246315/

I'd post the pictures here if I knew how. Those more equipped, feel free.

Derek
jerome231 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2009, 12:57 PM   #45
jerome231
empty page

jerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's assesjerome231 kicks all y'all's asses
I can only assume you mean MBV played for 40 min. I was referring to the opening band. Otherwise, I'm lost.
jerome231 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2009, 12:59 PM   #46
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
my bad.

in that case, this thread is now about: "opening bands that play for 40 minutes --- too much or not enough?"
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2009, 02:34 PM   #47
friendcatcher
empty page

friendcatcher has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarmaker

no LTE songs but you still felt like you were watching them. i believe he only played 5 songs but they were all long. i recognized two as "angels vs devils" and "the clash". he was also playing the fucking beautiful '66 Jazzmaster he's selling (see his myspace for details).
friendcatcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth