Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page the constantly-bumped "great releases of 2010" thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.10.2010, 04:16 PM   #361
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Cheers.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2010, 04:16 PM   #362
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
agreed.
all of their material is pretty much great. double nickels and all three post mersh compilations which contains all of their albums except fro double nickels, three way tie, and ballot result.

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2010, 05:23 PM   #363
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
double nickels is great but not one of my favorites, it's just too long and i don't like the production... too stiff. three way tie and the post mersh stuff are my favorites. ballot result is... uh... not my thing. but yeah it's nice how you can get all their albums in just a few albums. all their ep's were amazing.

i HIGHLY reccomend their documentary, we jam econo.

they're a big influence on me, musically, all the musicians were brilliant.

genteel, do you like wire? the first 3 wire albums are basically my favorite albums by any band. id' really like to get some more "art punk" (like early the fall and swell maps, too -- any reccomendations?).

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2010, 05:26 PM   #364
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
you've seen the we jam econo doc, right fugazifan? holy shit it's good.

oh and trust me on this new solo album, fugazifan -- it's by far watt's best solo album EVER, he said he's been listening to minutemen for the first time since d. boon died. it's like minutemen except a lot more abstract.. like i said, double nickels era meets doc at the radar station era beefheart. it's fucking goooooood. i will bet you a hundred dollars it will be your favorite album of the year, or at least up there. SO FUCKING GOOD. i am literally happy as hell to hear it.. it seriously makes me want to stop everything i'm doing and record a new album. it's THAT inspiring.

Old 11.10.2010, 05:31 PM   #365
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, Wire and much of Colin Newman solo is some of my favourite music.
Old 11.10.2010, 05:33 PM   #366
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Oh and thanks to you both.
Old 11.10.2010, 11:17 PM   #367
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, we jam econo is one of my favorite documentaries. such inspiring and interesting people.
whats crazy about the minutemen is the amount of quality work in five years. they barely have a song that i dont like and they have like over a hundred.

what i think is brilliant about double nickels is the amount of song to great song ratio which is almost equal. i never get bored and i like all the songs. its just incredible how they could record so many song sin such a small amount of time and unlike other bands in that scene, all of the songs stand for themselves and dont rehash other ones.

Old 11.15.2010, 07:54 PM   #368
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
couple o' things:

New Kurt Vile 7'' called In My Time. Worth checking out. Cleaner (more generic?) than his other stuff, but this guy is still so consistently good.

Raspberry Bulbs, comprised of one of the dudes from Bone Awl, is making tapes that sound like Bone Awl but way more crust punk with some actual singing...kind of. But it's fucking awesome. Get the Lone Gunman one first.
Old 11.17.2010, 06:02 AM   #369
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
The new Total Abuse record is where it's at, extremely lo-fi blend between hardcore and noiserock with some power electronics thrown into the mix.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2010, 10:27 AM   #370
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

really into the new not breathing - christy cores... excellent electronic stuff. cool as hell. just a really good sound to it. dark.

Old 11.22.2010, 08:07 AM   #371
tcpotbntmy
little trouble girl

tcpotbntmy kicks all y'all's assestcpotbntmy kicks all y'all's assestcpotbntmy kicks all y'all's assestcpotbntmy kicks all y'all's assestcpotbntmy kicks all y'all's assestcpotbntmy kicks all y'all's assestcpotbntmy kicks all y'all's assestcpotbntmy kicks all y'all's assestcpotbntmy kicks all y'all's assestcpotbntmy kicks all y'all's assestcpotbntmy kicks all y'all's asses
Cleric - Regressions

put out on Web of Mimicry,:

http://www.webofmimicry.com/catalog/...products_id=85

When we here at WoM ran across Cleric's music it almost seemed as if some kind of prophesy was being fulfilled. The music registered in our minds as a kind of missing link, like an inevitable stage in metal-oriented music that has needed to happen for a long time now. Yet somehow the seat of that destiny has remained ever vacant until this particular band came along. Like everything good, it took the tireless commitment of people unifying behind a vision which for some reason always ends up having to fight against every stream, every atrophy, every regression into easy answers, in order to reach its goal. There's no accounting for how "niche" bands are perceived, even when they are fulfilling a destiny as clear as the one Cleric has taken on. It's for this reason that lowly WoM is once again graced by one of the finest and well-honed musical expressions to emerge from any music scene in the last decade.

A four piece from Philadelphia, Cleric's music mixes elements of grindcore, avant garde composition, doom and... something else entirely? Influenced by other metal pioneers such as Meshuggah, Converge, Fantômas, and Neurosis, their music zeroes in on a level of brutality and experimentation that a single band rarely maintains even for a few seconds. In their six years since inception, Cleric has released a number of EPs and a 12" picture disk through Sound Devastation Records (UK), all of which (for their very high quality and unique & intricate sounds and artwork) have garnered praise and die-hard underground accolade. Having been around awhile, and taken a lot of shit & not given up & built themselves up internally to handle whatever bullshit this world flings their way, this band is just beginning its walk down their shining path.
tcpotbntmy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2010, 02:27 PM   #372
Marolo
little trouble girl

Marolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's assesMarolo kicks all y'all's asses
Another amazing release on Sublime Frequencies:

Group Doueh - Beatte Harab

wonderful Saharan psychedelia!
Old 12.02.2010, 03:26 PM   #373
fugazifan
invito al cielo

havent heard the new group doeh yet but i have been meaning to. their previous albums have been fantastic.
the new swans is so good.

Old 12.02.2010, 05:10 PM   #374
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

yep love group doeh, will check out thanks!

Old 12.02.2010, 06:59 PM   #375
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
anyone mention laetita sadiers the trip...beautiful album...
she had to cancel her show in dublin tonight due to the completly stupid unirish amount of snow we are getting. gatwick airport closed so she couldnt get over. gutted but returning in february.

also another great album to check out is not squares - ok yeah......great rockin band from belfast.
Old 12.03.2010, 12:49 AM   #376
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Condominium's ''Gag'' 7'' is amazing.
Old 12.03.2010, 02:23 AM   #377
viewtiful alan redux
the destroyed room

viewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's asses
Can we talk abut My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy?
That album is fuckng excellent.
Old 12.03.2010, 04:45 AM   #378
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
anyone mention laetita sadiers the trip...beautiful album....

Yep, I love that album, mentioned it a few pages back.

That Group Doeuh album is fucking fantastic btw. Thanks for reccomending it earlier, Marolo.

Old 12.03.2010, 05:07 AM   #379
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Okay, my top 50 of 2010, though it'll change by this time next week I'm sure.
1. mike watt - hyphenated man
2. ikonika - contact love want have
3. autechre - move of ten
4. sun city girls - funeral mariachi
5. honey ride me a goat - udders
6. group inerane - guitars from agadez volume 3
7. alex smoke - lux
8. steve reich - double sextet/2x5
9. michael yonkers - lovely gold
10. toshimaru nakamura - egrets
11. stereolab - not music
12. daniel higgs - say god
13. scuba - triangulation
14. group doueh - beatte harab
15. trumans water - o zeta zunis
16. ariel pink - before today
17. master musicians of bukkae - totem two
18. druid perfume - tin boat to tuna town
19. neil young - le noise
20. shed - the traveller
21. blank dogs - land and fixed
22. mass of the fermenting dregs - zero comma, irotoridori no sekai
23. daughters - daughters
24. univers zero - clivages
25. not breathing - christy cores
26. shugo tokumaru - port entropy
27. mount kimbie - crooks & lovers
28. skream - outside the box
29. laetia sadler - the trip
30. arandel - in d
31. mark mcguire - living with yourself
32. tungs - sleeping
33. war on drugs - future weather
34. bruce haack - farad
35. gate - republic of sadness
36. thee oh sees - warm slime
37. shortstuff - summer of shortstuff
38. maribor - atrocitiy exhibition
39. squarepusher - shobaleader one
40. keith fullerton whitman - generators
41. messenger girls trio - excelsior salon
42. dead c - patience
43. zs - new slaves
44. fred frith - ragged atlas
45. ceephax acid crew - united acid emirates
46. jack rose - luck in the valley
47. redshape - red pack
48. infinite body - carve out the face of god
49. sigh - scenes from hell
50. oren amrbarchi/jim o'rourke/keiji haino - tima formosa

Old 12.03.2010, 08:57 AM   #380
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Where's Extra Life - Made Flesh? That's probably my favourite from the whole year.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
161718 19 2021 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth