Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.08.2017, 10:41 AM   #48621
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Down With Wilco is definitely not a Wilco album. It's a Minus 5 album, and good one. But I would never consider it part of their discography.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2017, 12:06 AM   #48622
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

I'm not really a big Billy Bragg fan. I mean, I have nothing against him but I've never checked out any of his solo albums. I only really know him as the guy who made these Woody Guthrie albums w/ Wilco. But that's fine. Mermaid Avenue was one I heard pretty early in my Wilco love. I first discovered them thanks to Summerteeth and went back to this and Being There quickly. This album is really cool. There's a good mix of Wilco sounding stuff with the other vocalists. But also I think this album helped Wilco think outside the box even more than they had done on Being There. To get outside of comfort zones. There's some pretty weird shit here really. And that's fun. More importantly there are great tracks like the sunny "California Stars," or the soul-crushing heartbreaking beauty of "One By One." This is definitely a great album.
Old 04.09.2017, 08:51 AM   #48623
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

I'm not really a big Billy Bragg fan. I mean, I have nothing against him but I've never checked out any of his solo albums. I only really know him as the guy who made these Woody Guthrie albums w/ Wilco. But that's fine. Mermaid Avenue was one I heard pretty early in my Wilco love. I first discovered them thanks to Summerteeth and went back to this and Being There quickly. This album is really cool. There's a good mix of Wilco sounding stuff with the other vocalists. But also I think this album helped Wilco think outside the box even more than they had done on Being There. To get outside of comfort zones. There's some pretty weird shit here really. And that's fun. More importantly there are great tracks like the sunny "California Stars," or the soul-crushing heartbreaking beauty of "One By One." This is definitely a great album.

The MA version of "Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key" is one of the most beautiful, heartbreaking songs I've ever heard.
Old 04.09.2017, 12:17 PM   #48624
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Scandal, Best Album
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2017, 05:38 PM   #48625
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Down With Wilco is definitely not a Wilco album. It's a Minus 5 album, and good one. But I would never consider it part of their discography.

And yet any true Wilco fan should have it, as it is part of Jeff's discography, the way Golden Smog albums are. Three songs are by McCaughey and Tweedy; one of them, "The Family Gardener", is sung by JT, who's also been performing live "Dear Employer (The Reason I Quit)" —a McCaughey-only composition— for years.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2017, 07:21 PM   #48626
Severian
invito al cielo

Holy shit the new Arca record is OUT y'all.

Listening to this epic track "Saunter" that sounds like Mozart played with switchblades.

Arca - "Saunter" (YouTube)

Listen up friends!
Old 04.09.2017, 07:31 PM   #48627
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
And yet any true Wilco fan should have it, as it is part of Jeff's discography, the way Golden Smog albums are. Three songs are by McCaughey and Tweedy; one of them, "The Family Gardener", is sung by JT, who's also been performing live "Dear Employer (The Reason I Quit)" —a McCaughey-only composition— for years.

Oh fuck yes, "The Family Gardener" is PEAK TWEEDY. That's my favorite song on the album (just barely edging out "The Old Plantation," which fucking helped define my 2003).

I totally agree that Wilco fans and/or Tweedy fans should goddamn well own Down With Wilco just as they should own Loose Fur's brilliant, perennially underrated self-titled and Born Again in the USA albums ("Elegant Transaction," "Laminated Cat," "Pretty Sparks" ... Fucking gold.) So no worries — we are in the same page there.

I just meant that it's not a Wilco album. I wasn't speaking to its quality at all. I bought that album the day it came out at Cellophane Square in Seattle and didn't stop playing it for a year. Haven't heard it in a while, but I fucking love it, and it owns a bit of my soul.
Old 04.09.2017, 07:32 PM   #48628
Severian
invito al cielo

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Soup Nazi again."

Really? Still?
Old 04.09.2017, 07:34 PM   #48629
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
So when you say it's not a Wilco album... Does it sound like Wilco ?
Old 04.09.2017, 07:48 PM   #48630
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
So when you say it's not a Wilco album... Does it sound like Wilco ?

Well, it sounds like The Minus 5. Which is to say that if you like ornamented classicist rock-pop music you'll most likely dig it, and if you like Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Pet Sounds and those damn Beetles (sic) you'll certainly dig it.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 04.09.2017, 08:13 PM   #48631
betweenthebars
empty page

betweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's assesbetweenthebars kicks all y'all's asses
A Ghost Is Born is my favorite Wilco album. Everything potentially great about that band is realized in full there.

Its great that Wilco is a band of discussion here. As a relative newbie to this forum, aside from the O'Rourke connection I've been pleasantly surprised by the Wilco love here.

This weekend its been a much needed Built to Spill binge for me
betweenthebars is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2017, 08:45 PM   #48632
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Well, it sounds like The Minus 5. Which is to say that if you like ornamented classicist rock-pop music you'll most likely dig it, and if you like Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Pet Sounds and those damn Beetles (sic) you'll certainly dig it.

Sounds like I will dig it then!
Old 04.09.2017, 09:03 PM   #48633
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by betweenthebars
Its great that Wilco is a band of discussion here. As a relative newbie to this forum, aside from the O'Rourke connection I've been pleasantly surprised by the Wilco love here.

Actually, you may have just caught a lucky break from the "Wilco Sucks" crowd!

Old 04.09.2017, 09:21 PM   #48634
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Yah, dood.

@NR ... if you aren't versed in Minus 5 get yourself versed.

Cult band, but goddamn good. Ornate is right. Peter Buck of REM is a frequent collaborator. See also: Young Fresh Fellows.

Minus 5 and YFL are big in the Pacific Northwest, with Scott McCaughey hailing from Portland and the "band" having connections with other established Northwest acts like the Posies.

Down with Wilco does have moments that sound like Wilco (see the aforementioned "The Family Gardener"), because it was technically a collaboration between the two bands, though not a 50/50 one. It's definitely a Minus 5 record, and definitely not a Wilco one, but it's very worth hearing, whether you think it sounds like Wilco or not.
Old 04.09.2017, 09:27 PM   #48635
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Peter Buck of REM is a frequent collaborator. See also: Young Fresh Fellows.

Minus 5 and YFL are big in the Pacific Northwest, with Scott McCaughey hailing from Portland and the "band" having connections with other established Northwest acts like the Posies.

And of course Scott McCaughey + Pete Buck + Bill Rieflin = The Venus 3, the mighty Robyn Hitchcock's oftentimes backing band!

Old 04.09.2017, 09:37 PM   #48636
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I had the M5/YFF split album. Quasi versed. Huge Posies fan tho.
Old 04.09.2017, 10:10 PM   #48637
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Actually, you may have just caught a lucky break from the "Wilco Sucks" crowd!

No shit.

That crowd is weird. I don't get them.

A Ghost is Born is about as perfect an album for Sonic Youth fans as the '00s had to offer. "Spiders (Kidsmoke)?" Are you kidding me? That song is MADE for folks raised on SY, Can, Velvets, etc.

Fuck the haters!
Old 04.09.2017, 10:11 PM   #48638
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
And of course Scott McCaughey + Pete Buck + Bill Rieflin = The Venus 3, the mighty Robyn Hitchcock's oftentimes backing band!

Fo' sho'
Old 04.10.2017, 08:29 AM   #48639
Severian
invito al cielo

Setting Wilco etc. aside for a moment to return to the question of the thread...

In preparation for the release of Kendrick Lamar's Album IV (which I truly hope is not called "ALBUM"), I have been spending a fuckton of time with Kdot lately, and I'm currently blasting this bad boy:

Kendrick Lamar - Section.80

I don't think I realized it until very recently, but the opening track on this album, "Fuck Your Ethnicity," might just be my favorite Kendrick song ever, weird as that may sound considering what followed. It's just... wow... talk about a fucking proper introduction.
Old 04.10.2017, 10:32 AM   #48640
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Setting Wilco etc. aside for a moment to return to the question of the thread...

In preparation for the release of Kendrick Lamar's Album IV (which I truly hope is not called "ALBUM"), I have been spending a fuckton of time with Kdot lately, and I'm currently blasting this bad boy:

Kendrick Lamar - Section.80

I don't think I realized it until very recently, but the opening track on this album, "Fuck Your Ethnicity," might just be my favorite Kendrick song ever, weird as that may sound considering what followed. It's just... wow... talk about a fucking proper introduction.

I love Section 80 so much. It rivals Good Kid for me, and my opinion on which is my favorite Kendrick album varies by day.
1932233223822422242924302431 2432 243324342435244224822532 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth