Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Birchville Cat Motel is no more
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.31.2008, 10:10 AM   #1
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Uughh... makes it all the more sour that he cancelled his gig at ZXZW in Tilburg this month... now I'll never see him.
Oh well, long live OUR LOVE WILL DESTROY THE WORLD!

hello kids.

Birchville Cat Motel is no more.

After 10 years and close to 130 releases I feel like ive had enough practice and Im now ready to make the records I always wanted to make. I hereby shed the name.

Ive been recording furiously with my new band called OUR LOVE WILL DESTROY THE WORLD! and i feel free again.

Drop by my myspace page and check out the damage. http://www.myspace.com/ourlovewilldestroytheworld

UPCOMING RELEASES:

'Carnivorous Rainbow' LP (Melted Mailbox, USA)
'Stillborn Plague Angels' LP (Dekorder, Ger)
'Blondesummer Snowqueen' LP (At War With False Noise, UK)
'Polished Glass Autobahn' 7" (Dirty Knobby, UK)
'Yellownirvana' 7" (Tresemet, UK)
Our Love Will Destroy The World / Bark Haze (Thurston Moore) split 7"

The last Birchville Cat Motel live performance will be at the Borderline Ballroom/Media Club in Christchurch on the 9th of October with Antony Milton and Peter Wright. Try and come.

Lastly, a sincere thank you to all those who have been kind to me and my creations over the last 10 years. You are troopers indeed. Bless yr ass.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 10:10 AM   #2
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
31 aug 2008, 09:00
So... um... WHY?
Yeah good question...

BIRCHVILLE CAT MOTEL started recording just over 10 years ago in the hope of creating a music that broke a few barriers... even if only 'personal' barriers... and even if only a few people got to hear it. As it turned out I broke quite a bit of stuff and a lot of people got to hear it.

I made a lot of records. As a pre-schooler playing pots and pans in my grandparents lounge I remember thinking thats what I really wanted to do with my life... to make records. I feel like the whole thing was a gigantic success... and by the word 'success' I mean I personally feel that I achieved a great deal more than i ever set out to do. I made music that I was proud of, meet people who I came to love, and as a bonus a bunch of people bought my records and gave me the money to see the world... thats a big deal when you live as far away as I do.

Well. I could be happy with that. I could keep doing this forever (and I kinda hoped I would). That would be nice. OR I could put myself in a creatively vulnerable position and challenge myself in the hope that my best records and shows are still ahead of me.
But in order to do this I feel like the whole beast needs to change. Does the world need ANOTHER bcm record? No. I dont think it does. And if i made one it now runs the risk of being lost in the swamp of my own recorded output. So it is time to lay down the comforts and blessings of the name BIRCHVILLE CAT MOTEL.

All hail OUR LOVE WILL DESTROY THE WORLD! I have made records before... I have no desire to simply make more. I want the records I make to be worth something to any audience that seeks them out. Here are some things Ive been thinking...

1) DEATH TO DIGITAL.

C'mon... wake up! MP3s SUCK and you know it! Digital downloads as a music medium mean nothing to me or anybody I know. They are a waste of music. They lack context, artwork, object-worship... they are merely another file in your over-crowded, 'cant remember if I listened to that' iTunes folder. I say BULLSHIT. CDs are OK but its getting pretty depressing to find that my albums are being uploaded the day after release and people seem to have adopted the attitude they should TAKE without giving BACK simply because they can.

I feel sorry for these people who are so willing to shortchange themselves of the full tactile experience of the music. Music is about so much MORE than music. The cover is important. So is the smell. And the feel. The mythology. The personal connection. Im sorry... you just cant fall in love with a file like I fell in love with records as a teenager. I dont care what you say, you cant. Please... throw your headphones away.

All Our Love Will Destroy The World releases will be analog. Vinyl and cassette (or anything else you can think up!) only. Im not naive enough to think this will stop people downloading my music (and if you really want to that much then thats cool) but I feel like its a step toward creating more rewarding musical experience for those who would seek it out.

Obviously this seems like a pretty stupid rule. Ever tried to do a month long tour with a backpack full of vinyl? It no pretty sight. Perhaps some kind of digital presence is nessesary. Should this be the case I will release those CDs myself so that as many of the rewards of that effort will come back to me as possible.

2) NARRATIVE STRUCTURES IN NOISE.

Im becoming increasing frustrated with the limited possibilities of narrative within my sound. I have created some beautiful music that really 'goes somewhere' but Im beginning to wonder why going somewhere is a good thing. I live in the Hutt Valley... I can assure you, Im going nowhere. Haha. I've become more interested in composing sound ACROSS the time line rather than ALONG it. Each moment is deeper. You get the chance to immerse yourself in a SINGULAR musical experience that only makes significant changes as you listen deeper. in one sense this makes the music 'dronier' or 'less interesting', on the other hand the music has become denser and 'noisier' as each moment contains the full story rather than just a sentence. Im finding it more interesting.

3) MULTIPLE FIDELITIES

I have no real interest in 'lo-fi' or 'hi-fi' distinctions but I do like the combinations and possible permutations of a recorded sound environment provided by mixing up fidelities. Shiny electronic hi-end co-existing with stretched, muddy dictaphone tape recordings... seems to float my boat. As such, TAPES have become an important means of generating the kind of sounds I want to hear... and i mean the sound of the actually recording medium itself rather than the instrument it contains. This opens some interesting avenues for collaboration and i would very much like to use the recorded sound of other performers on a much more regular basis.

4) METAL

Just fucking stop with the metalshit already. No, you cant hear Sunn O))) in my sound... thats just lazy. Why do you think there exists a band called BLACK BONED ANGEL? Although there are some notable exceptions ('Sublime Prince of The Royal Secret', 'Tonal Fire Antichrist'... etc) the metal influence was about ENERGY not emulating a generic guitar tone. To be embarrassingly honest you are closer to the truth if you say you can hear Judas Priest in the sound. I LOVE METAL but Im not a metal band. Im not doom. Just fucking stop OK?

5) PERSONAL CHANGES

I guess this last year has been pretty tough on me. Without going into great detail on the internet of all places, my family has taken on a different shape and structure this year and to say 'my heart is broken' doesnt really even come close to what I carry around with me everyday. I need change. I need to change the way I work and how much I work, I need to change my attitude towards playing music, money, touring, running a label... its time for some honesty. Birchville Cat Motel just had to go.

So what do you think?

I feel good about this change. Its positive and healthy for me personally and for the music. I haven't sold out my ideas. The music hasn't gone all soft like many bands tend to do when they've been around for a while... if anything its gotten more brutal. I just want to make beautiful things and i think the most beautiful things are still unmade and they need a new attitude to make them.

CAMPBELL
Old 08.31.2008, 10:11 AM   #3
al shabbray

there is the melted mailbox again...
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 10:20 AM   #4
Radioactive Poltergeist
bad moon rising

Radioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's asses
I saw him two months ago at some shitty bar. He gave me tinnitus but it was worth it especially now that he is a gonner.

I don't think New Zealand has ever fully realised how brilliant he is. Meanwhile we all wank over flying nun.
Radioactive Poltergeist is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 10:26 AM   #5
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

After reading all that a second time I can't help but wondering if he's really going to change things round completely or is just pulling a Prince-Symbol-TAFKAP-Prince on us.
Old 08.31.2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Radioactive Poltergeist
bad moon rising

Radioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's asses
He has a comicly pretentious writing style. I think a lot of this radical "change" is probably just bluster. Anyway, I'm looking forward to whatever he releases next but not so much his convoluted philosophy.
Radioactive Poltergeist is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 12:37 PM   #7
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
he sounds like a dick.
Old 08.31.2008, 12:44 PM   #8
luisxvi
bad moon rising

luisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's asses
As long as he keeps to create music I am happy.
Old 08.31.2008, 01:04 PM   #9
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie

Drop by my myspace page and check out the damage. http://www.myspace.com/ourlovewilldestroytheworld

I really like these new tracks.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 01:23 PM   #10
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i heard from someone who knows campbell that he was actually battling depression or something.

bcm were one of the most inspired noise/drone projects of all time and deserves to be remembered in the future.

anyway, i'm liking his glitch black metal stuff.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 02:37 PM   #11
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I like his music, and that posts seems pretty self-depreciative and dickish, yes. "After 130 releases..." Jesus! Gotta collect 'em all!

I totally disagree with one of his points... when he says "no object worship" as a bad thing. Object worship is one of the main things wrong with noise (and related) music. "oh cool packaging, how's it sound? Oh well, cool packaging! Best album ever, check it out!" Maybe I'm just bitter becuase I've had a couple of people refuse to review my releases because the packaging wasn't good enough. I dunno, I guess I'm just more interested on the MUSIC released on an ALBUM and not if it's packaged in rotted wood or whatever.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 04:15 PM   #12
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
good stuff, never been a hig fan though

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 06:22 PM   #13
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Well damn, that sucks.
Old 08.31.2008, 10:31 PM   #14
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I totally disagree with one of his points... when he says "no object worship" as a bad thing. Object worship is one of the main things wrong with noise (and related) music. "oh cool packaging, how's it sound? Oh well, cool packaging! Best album ever, check it out!" Maybe I'm just bitter becuase I've had a couple of people refuse to review my releases because the packaging wasn't good enough. I dunno, I guess I'm just more interested on the MUSIC released on an ALBUM and not if it's packaged in rotted wood or whatever.

i have been thinking about this for a long time, the noise double standard: noise people hate cd-rs that have xeroxed artwork and no artwork discs, writing them off and shit; but then, these same people love tapes that come with xeroxed artwork and no artwork cassette, while i understand that tapes are warmer than cd-rs, i don't know why people make such a big fuss over this. tapes started to become an indie label standard because it was easy and cheap to make multiple copies of a release, now you can do the same for cheaper on cd-rs, so what the fuck?

i know some people are completely lazy and uncommited to their releases, not even bothering to cut and fold the covers right or anything, let alone demonstrating more of an overall effort on packaging. but if done right, what's the problem?
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 03:29 AM   #15
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
he rocked when i saw him play
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 05:38 AM   #16
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
His new stuff is very good, I must say. I wish he'd drop his "no CD" rule though - alas, not everyone owns a turntable these days, and his type of stuff tends to work well on the CD format.
Old 09.01.2008, 06:45 AM   #17
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i have been thinking about this for a long time, the noise double standard: noise people hate cd-rs that have xeroxed artwork and no artwork discs, writing them off and shit; but then, these same people love tapes that come with xeroxed artwork and no artwork cassette, while i understand that tapes are warmer than cd-rs, i don't know why people make such a big fuss over this. tapes started to become an indie label standard because it was easy and cheap to make multiple copies of a release, now you can do the same for cheaper on cd-rs, so what the fuck?

i know some people are completely lazy and uncommited to their releases, not even bothering to cut and fold the covers right or anything, let alone demonstrating more of an overall effort on packaging. but if done right, what's the problem?

Yeah man, I got a review, I posted about this elsewhere.. but I individually made art but also copied some art and tracklisting and stuff and put it in a little paper case and spray painted over a cd-r and it played fine.. I did this for fifty cd-r's... and mailed to 50 different people.

And there'sa vital weekly review that's like "great music but the packaging sucks so i'm not going to review it." No kidding. So ridiculous.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 06:54 AM   #18
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
I don't care what he calls himself, so long as he keeps making music as good as this.
hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth