Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page ONE album that changed music for you
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.19.2006, 12:40 AM   #1
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
What's your one album that made your taste in music take a sharp left turn from which it has never returned?

Mine was Simple Minds' Sons and Fascination, bought in 1981 at the age of 14. I read a review of it in Smash Hits that said it knocked the socks off Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran, who were my faves at the time, so I went out and bought it. The fact that it was two albums for the price of one helped seal the purchase. I loved it and played it constantly, including one day at school, where it was heard by a Simple Minds fan a couple of years above me with whom I became friends. He loaned me his entire collection of 7" singles, which included loads of amazing stuff - Buzzcocks, Damned, Joy Division, Throbbing Gristle - that totally blew my mind, and got me listening to John Peel. From there it was a headlong fall for me into the more goth side of post-punk (Southern Death Cult, Danse Society, Sex Gang Children), and from there began the long strange trip to where I am today.

So a big thank you to Smash Hits, to Jim Kerr & Co, and most of all to Bob Bickers, wherever you now are. You all rock.

EDIT - On a whim, 30 minutes after first posting, I've just decided to turn this into a competition. I have two copies of Lee Ranaldo's Road Movies book - The spare one goes to my favourite response to the above question, regardless of where in the world the winner lives. It's not what album you name that I'm interested in, it's your explanation of why it changed music for you. You have a week to post, and the judge's (e.g. my) decision is final. The winner will be notified by pm and by a post in this thread. If the winner already has a copy of the book, he or she can nominate another poster to receive it instead.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 12:43 AM   #2
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Leaves Turn Inside You by Unwound. Since I heard that two years ago when I was still in middle school, it changed music for me completely. It also got me going on how bands sounds change dramatically from one album to the next.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 12:45 AM   #3
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Mine was dirty by sonic youth. I was seventeen and I was into crappy music and when I found this I thought it was an amazing album. Because it changed my perception of ideas, of how a guitar can be played, how to think for yourself, and mostly it was the most avant garde thing I've heard.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 12:50 AM   #4
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Sonic Youth- "Dirty"

I know it's the more popular vote to pick SY, but that was the one that did it. That's the album that squeegeed my Third Eye. It has opened me up to a world of music, that I never knew existed.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 12:53 AM   #5
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
nothing changed music for me, its still boring
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 12:53 AM   #6
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
two albums for me, my drum teacher gave me american prayer and slayer - show no mercy when i was 9
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 12:57 AM   #7
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I gotta say Dirty tied with Gang of Four- Entertainment!. The two of them really tore down my notions of rock and roll for me. Devo's the Truth about Devolution was introduced to me at the same time, but that isn't really an album.

Dirty was more about changing what I thought about guitar than what I thought about music.

Entertainment! really changed everything for me though. When I first heard it, I still didn't quite get punk. I liked the Clash, I didn't really like the Sex Pistols, and back in the Napster days of music when I heard about a band, I'd always manage to get ahold of their worst track to sample, so I didn't quite get what the big deal was. So when I first listened to Gang of Four, I immediately noticed how much better than the Clash they were in general, and I thought "this must be what all the fuss around punk rock is about."

I never heard rock music so drum and bass focused. The rhythm was incredible. Before Gang of Four, rock and roll was all about the heaviness to me- I liked Nirvana, Hendrix, and Led Zeppelin for that reason. Then I heard Entertainment! The way the drums and the bass worked together was really incredible to me. The slow helicopter-like drum beat amazed me.

Gang of Four's lyrics were like nothing I had ever heard. A year before I heard the album I did a report about Sartre for honors english. I did my research, and I did decently on the report. But I didn't really understand it. Gang of Four's lyrics really got me to start understanding some pretty deep philosophical concepts, including existentialism. The lyrics hit me as so upfront and observational of society. The mocking of corporate slogans really hit me. I feel Andy Gill and Jon King could really see right through things in society.

There was Andy Gill's guitar playing. His concept of the anti-solo in which he would just stop playing, his incredibly choppy playing, and just his tone in general amazed me. That was pretty different from what I was used to with rock.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 01:01 AM   #8
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Led Zeppelin IV

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 01:01 AM   #9
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Daydream Nation

Old 07.19.2006, 01:02 AM   #10
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

Nevermind

Old 07.19.2006, 01:02 AM   #11
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

White Light/White Heat

Old 07.19.2006, 01:05 AM   #12
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
Daydream Nation
yep yep yep.. i bought it because of the nirvana connection. i didnt know one could make so many sounds with a guitar.. the sprawl stood out to me more then any other track. i remember listening to it while laying in bed with 102 fever.. and looving this album

the beatles blue album also. some of the stuff on here freaked me out at first. i dont know why really. the expiremental stuff is my favorite

EDITED- for the contest
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 01:07 AM   #13
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
Double Nickels On The Dime

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 01:08 AM   #14
contort:myself
little trouble girl

contort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to behold
there's a few i think.

beatles: rubber soul
from my parent's record collection. listened too it constantly as a kid. first time rock music really got to me and drew me in. made me want to play music.
nirvana: in utero
it's not too hip to admit it, but this band is a catalyst for alot of what i'm into now, even though it's pretty distant from me now. I bought it when I was 13. I saw it on Beavis and BUtthead. I thought the lyrics were "hey, wayne" and that it was about wayne's world. I was a dumbass kid culturally.
sonic youth: daydream nation
nirvana lead into this. teenage riot blew my ass out my ears. and vice versa. lead me to my love of feedback and noises.
ornette coleman: the shape of jazz to come
got me interested in playing my saxophone again, also made me yearn to push music i was writing into more free territories. before that i was writing very nirvana-ish, weezer-ish cookie cutter type stuff.
slint: spiderland
bought it on a whim. first time i heard really textured dynamics. made me want to crescendo insteads of loud-soft-loud.
captain beefheart: lick my decals off, baby
picked up where ornette left off. showed me free music could stick in your head like a pop song.

there's more but i'm too drunk to think clear.

http://75orlessrecords.com
our record label
buy our latest album
so that they can pay us
contort:myself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 02:15 AM   #15
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Electric Warrior - T. Rex

I was 13, my parents had just split up and money was tight, and I'm fairly certain I received more than this album for Christmas, but this is the only thing I remember from that year. Right after opening it, I went down to the basement (where I spent the better part of my time for about 2 years) and listened to it for the rest of the day. It was the first album I owned that I thought was perfect, and it remains to this day the most played album in my collection. There is no group more dear to my heart than T. Rex. I feel this kinship with them that makes me approach the subject of the band with ridiculous amounts of honor and humility. Even though I was also listening to Led Zeppelin, Bowie, and Hendrix around that same time, I still favored T. Rex above them all. I really had to work hard at being a T. Rex fan. Their albums weren't exactly easy to find, and I couldn't turn on the radio and hear anything more than the occasional "Bang A Gong," which is a good song, but they have plenty of others that kick its butt. The fact that it took a lot of effort to maintain that level of interest made the whole experience very personal. I didn't have anyone to share it with. Actually, this marked the first time that the kids at school openly mocked the music I listened to. They thought T. Rex was a stupid name. I had a T. Rex shirt that I wore sometimes, so they stared asking me if I listened to Stegosaurus and Velociraptor as well, which was just so clever, I'm sure. They thought my haircut was stupid as well, so my appearance in general was often the target of many insults. Junior high aged kids usually are not very welcoming if you are totally and pathetically into the whole glam rock thing. So if you're trying to cut down on the number of times you get called "fag" in a day, I don't recommend pursuing an interest in glam rock.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 02:25 AM   #16
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
there were three of them:

Radiohead - The Bends (age 15)
Sonic Youth - Washing Machine (age 19)
Flying Saucer Attack - Distance (age 20)

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 02:38 AM   #17
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth: ESJ - Yes, I'm serious. After Dirty, which I wasn't too fond of, it actually got me into Sonic Youth. Which then led to nearly every indie/experimental/jazz band I listen to now. It's still my favorite SY album, nearly tied with DDN.

John Mayer: Any Given Thursday - Got me out of my snobby "pop music sucks" attitutude, which, it seems, many poor souls are still absorbed in. Also, it got me into blues guitar, which is the majority of what I play now.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 02:50 AM   #18
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
No albums really. I mean, there were albums and EP's in particular when I was in single digits, that I lionised. But I've always listened to a wide range of music. So not one album has taken me anywhere that I can't return. To me, that would mean I listened to say, Nirvana, when I was a kid, then only ever listened to Grunge music and anything related to it nowadays. So I can't really answer it, honestly. I still listen to alot of the music I did when I was knee-high to a grasshopper. Interesting thread, though.
Old 07.19.2006, 03:41 AM   #19
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Cliche, but I'll say Nevermind because before that I just listened to my parents old records (Stones, Beatles, Cream, Beach Boys etc.) and MC Hammer. I can remember hearing Teen Spirit on the radio and just being like "Whoa, what the hell was that?" Dave Grohl made me want to play the drums and take over the world. Not to mention I got into SY because they admired/toured with them....and then Dinosaur Jr....and all the other bands on TYPB......which lead to Mudhoney.....Pavement.....L7 etc. etc. etc.
Old 07.19.2006, 03:45 AM   #20
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
(Stones, Beatles, Cream, Beach Boys etc.)

But do you return to these bands?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth