Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best new/most anticipated albums of 2019
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.02.2019, 02:16 PM   #341
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCgaf16
I will go with lee ranaldo (dont know what the name is)

Names Of North End Women, but that one's for the eventual 2020 thread (Severian dude, maybe it's time to start it already...). The first song and video will be out in eleven days, though.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2019, 01:29 PM   #342
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Thurston is releasing a new album too next spring.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2019, 01:30 PM   #343
NYCgaf16
stalker

NYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's assesNYCgaf16 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
Thurston is releasing a new album too next spring.
neat
NYCgaf16 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2019, 05:44 PM   #344
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Speaking of Thurston, did anyone else hear his big 3-hour album with TMB, “Spirit Counsel”? I confess I haven’t heard it in full, but it’s pretty damn good.

Also albums are getting shorter and shorter.

Earl Sweatshirt released a 15-minute one on Friday.
Pretty good for a 15-minute album
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2019, 05:03 AM   #345
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Also albums are getting shorter and shorter.

Earl Sweatshirt released a 15-minute one on Friday.
Pretty good for a 15-minute album

Does this Sweatshirt person himself say it's a bona fide album? Both Metacritic (critics and "users") and Wikipedia consider it an EP. Now, I've never heard the guy and I just crapped on those who take a look at Wikipedia and then think they're omniscient, so it's an honest question...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 11.06.2019, 05:27 AM   #346
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Out now:

Quote:
The duo of Paal Nilssen-Love and Joe McPhee has been an on-going adventure in sound for the last 15 years. The two started playing together when McPhee joined The Thing on tour in 2002, and that was the start of numerous collaboration and constellations over the years. Out of those projects the two started performing as a duo, exploring ideas and the kind of immediate dialogue only the duo format allows.

The previous release by the duo was the Candy 7xCD box-set in 2015, which documented their developement from 2007 to 2014. Such a massive document perhaps signaled that it was a last statement, and there has not been any releases from the duo since then, but lack of releases does not equal lack of activity – and with Song for the Big Chief they finally return.

Song for the Big Chief has a special back story to it: On December 9th 2017 the duo was scheduled to play Cafe Oto in London. They day before the concert news came that legendary drummer Sunny Murray had passed away. Murray's importance in the world of music can not be overrated, and for both McPhee and Nilssen-Love Murray had been a huge influence and inspiration, and in the introduction to the concert McPhee made the announcement that tonight's performance would be in honour to the memory of one the great giants of free music. True to Murray's spirit this didn't meaning playing a night of cover tunes, but creating new sounds and pushing the music into the future.

Music fans will recognize the title and visual references on the cover to Sunny Murray's classic 1969 album Big Chief.

released October 4, 2019

Joe McPhee: tenor saxophone and pocket trumpet.
Paal Nilssen-Love: drums & percussion.

"Old Man River" by by Kern/Hammerstein (Universal Polygram Int Pub Inc). "Knox" by Joe Mcphee (Tuhtah Pub Suisa.)
"A Fantasy for Lester" by Joe McPhee (JOMAC Publishing) and Paal Nilssen-Love (TONO).

Recorded live in concert by
Shaun Crook at Cafe Oto, London, England on the 9th of December 2017. Mixed and mastered by Lasse Marhaug.

https://pnlrecords.bandcamp.com/albu...-the-big-chief

Old 11.06.2019, 09:49 AM   #347
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Does this Sweatshirt person himself say it's a bona fide album? Both Metacritic (critics and "users") and Wikipedia consider it an EP. Now, I've never heard the guy and I just crapped on those who take a look at Wikipedia and then think they're omniscient, so it's an honest question...

I duunno man. I think it’s a mini-album or summin’, but people are treating it like it’s supposed to be an album.

Bear in mind this guy dropped a 10-minute song with three or four movements and left confusion as to whether that was a song, EP, or what, and his last album was like 20 minutes.

So many people are dropping obscenely short albums these days.
Old 11.06.2019, 09:50 AM   #348
Severian
invito al cielo

I kinda think the new FKA Twigs is gonna steak people’s hearts on Friday.
Old 11.06.2019, 10:46 AM   #349
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Bear in mind this guy dropped a 10-minute song [...]

So many people are dropping obscenely short albums [...]

OK, this can no longer be treated as normal: since when do albums "drop"? Fuck that! You're whiter and nerdier than anyone on the cover of Crazy Rhythms! Just because some hippity-hopper (I'm assuming) came up with the term doesn't mean we have to repeat it. If you DROP an album, and the thing HITS the FLOOR, it might BREAK, y'know what I'm sayin'?

(^ Count the references to dance/rap culture.)

Old 11.06.2019, 10:48 AM   #350
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
I kinda think the new FKA Twigs is gonna steak people’s hearts on Friday.

I prefer Anna Calvi's cover of "Papi Pacify" over the original.

Old 11.07.2019, 07:59 AM   #351
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
OK, this can no longer be treated as normal: since when do albums "drop"? Fuck that! You're whiter and nerdier than anyone on the cover of Crazy Rhythms! Just because some hippity-hopper (I'm assuming) came up with the term doesn't mean we have to repeat it. If you DROP an album, and the thing HITS the FLOOR, it might BREAK, y'know what I'm sayin'?

(^ Count the references to dance/rap culture.)

Haha.

It’s a pretty common phrase across the board.

I might be white and nerdy, but I think you, sir, are ... old.
Old 11.07.2019, 03:56 PM   #352
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
I might be white and nerdy, but I think you, sir, are ... old.

Fuck you, I'm barely older than Fiona Apple!

Old 11.11.2019, 09:41 AM   #353
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses

I've been raving on here about Chantal Acda before. On her previous albums (and live concerts) she worked with guys like Nils Frahm, Peter Broderick and Bill Frisell. On her new album PŪWAWAU she worked with Valgeir Sigurdsson (known for his work with Björk and Feist) and Stef Kamil Carlens (known from dEUS and Zita Swoon), and most importantly singers of Dutch Chamberchoir NXT.

It's not (yet) on her bandcamp, but it is streaming on YT

Compared to her previous work, this is not just a giant leap forward, it's a giant side step out of her comfort zone AND a leap forwards. Release date was 8 November

if you only want to listen to one song first, check out track 3 Taranga.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2019, 10:30 PM   #354
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses

Working my way through the newly released WXAXRXP box set, featuring ten radio sessions (Peel and NTS usually) of such Warp alumni as Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Oneohtrix Point Never and Seefeel. Enjoying what I'm hearing so far; some concise and adventurous electro sets.

UPDATE: My favourites go to Mount Kimbie and Plaid.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2019, 04:40 AM   #355
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
I normally wouldn't be raving about digital-only releases, but since there's a couple of you liking the Velvets there should be some interest for it. If not, go check your ears
I saw them play these songs around 2008 in a tiny fully packed venue, wouldn't mind at all if they would revisit these songs live again as well.

This is a copy of the latest newsletter of the Betties:

Quote:
Howdy Folks!

November 27 it is exactly 22 years since the Betties played their last gig of the Marlboro Flashbacks Tour at the Paradiso, Amsterdam. That day there will be a digital re-release of the album 'Bettie Serveert plays Venus in Furs' (which contains allmost all tracks of this show), available at iTunes/iMusic (you can pre-order from November 20) and Spotify. This re-release will have 4 extra songs which were played during the Paradiso-show but were not in the original release.

Here's Carol's story:

Back in 1997 there was a thing called the ‘Marlboro Flashbacks Tour’ here in the Netherlands, where they would ask Dutch artists to choose a favorite band to cover. When we were asked, our immediate answer was ‘The Velvet Underground’, because we have always been huge fans.
There had already been a Belgium artist who chose to cover Lou Reed, but we convinced the organization that we were going to do a totally different set.

We did 8 shows in the Netherlands and we played all our favorite Velvet Underground songs. Our last show was on Nov 27 1997 at the Paradiso in Amsterdam. This sold out show was recorded live (on 3 ADAT tapes) and mixed in 3 days time in Hilversum together with Hans Bunt and the cd was released in July 1998. We made ± 5000 cd’s, mostly as a ‘souvenir’ for those who had been to our shows. After they were sold out we never re-released it.

Moe Tucker sent us a letter after she heard our cover album and wrote that she felt homesick for their own Velvet Underground shows. She really liked it. We tried to stick as close as possible to the original versions, but obviously you can still hear that it’s us. Berend Dubbe, Peter Visser and Herman Bunskoeke all sang backing vocals.

To our surprise we recently found 4 extra songs which were not on the original cd: ‘Here She Comes Now’, ‘Guess I’m Falling In Love’, ‘Run, Run, Run’ and ‘There She Goes Again’.

We’re not sure why we never released them. Maybe because you can hear us make a few mistakes?

Regarding the photo of the setlist in the original booklet: we didn’t play ‘Who Loves The Sun’ at the Paradiso, that’s why we don’t have that recording. How ever, we did play ‘I’ll Be Your Mirror’, but something went wrong with that recording.

The entire cd has been remastered including the 4 extra tracks which have never been released before and on Nov 27th ’19, exactly 22 years after that last Paradiso show, it will be re-released on all streaming media sites.

This upcoming digital release is for those of you who didn’t get a chance to hear the recordings or see our shows. For those of you who do have the original cd, there are 4 extra songs you might be interested in.

We hope you’ll enjoy it!

X, the Betties

visit www.bettieserveert.com

Old 11.17.2019, 12:00 AM   #356
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Moe Tucker sent us a letter after she heard our cover album and wrote that she felt homesick for their own Velvet Underground shows. She really liked it.

That's pretty impressive, especially considering that everybody and their Nth-degree relatives have covered The Velvet Underground. (Even though most of 'em have never earned the right to cover the VU. And they got the nerve to wear shades indoors and after dark and shit. Ya gotta EARN the right, you TURDS!). I doubt Maureen writes them all a letter...

Old 11.18.2019, 09:39 AM   #357
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire

Working my way through the newly released WXAXRXP box set, featuring ten radio sessions (Peel and NTS usually) of such Warp alumni as Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Oneohtrix Point Never and Seefeel. Enjoying what I'm hearing so far; some concise and adventurous electro sets.

UPDATE: My favourites go to Mount Kimbie and Plaid.

Yeah, I wanna buy this whole goddamn thing.
Old 11.18.2019, 02:25 PM   #358
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yeah, I wanna buy this whole goddamn thing.
I was very tempted, but I realised that I couldn't justify the expense to myself - or my parents
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2019, 03:01 AM   #359
_tunic_
invito al cielo

It's time to make that 2020 thread! Oiseaux Tempete will release a new soundtrack album in January or February :

https://oiseaux-tempete.bandcamp.com...ortil-ge-o-s-t
https://www.subrosa.net/en/catalogue...e-tlamess.html

Old 12.18.2019, 10:40 PM   #360
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

2019 ain't over yet, sumbitches. Here's a data dump of recent(ish) releases that have not been mentioned - not in this thread, at least. I'm beat and short on time, so no links; if something interests you, look shit up:

Bill Callahan - "If You Could Touch Her At All"/"So Long, Marianne" (virtual-only).

Courtney Barnett - MTV Unplugged (Live In Melbourne). (Which, incidentally, closes with "So Long, Marianne"! The new "Hallelujah"? Hopefully not.) LP and CD out February 2020, but if you order via Bandcamp you get the full album now. The whole program is on YouTube. CB also has a new song out, "Name In Lights", a cover of her labelmates Loose Tooth (the track is part of the Milk On Milk album).

In addition to scoring season five of Peaky Blinders, Anna Calvi wrote a song for the show's soundtrack, "You're Not God".

Sam Phillips - Cold Dark Nights. An expanded and reworked version of Cold Dark Night, which was part of her Long Play project. File under: Christmas music that not only doesn't suck, but it's so good you wanna hear it all year round.

Hammered Hulls - S/T 7". Super-supergroup of Mary Timony, Alec MacKaye, Mark Cisneros and Chris Wilson.

Wye Oak - "Fortune". Hopefully a new album is a-comin'!

Jah Wobble & The Invaders Of The Heart - Ocean Blue Wave.

Mount Eerie with Julie Doiron - Lost Wisdom pt. 2.

151617 18 19 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth