Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Are we living in a police state?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Are we living in a police state?
Yes, we are 26 50.00%
No, we are not 6 11.54%
I don't know and/or don't care 3 5.77%
I am not a U.S. Citizen 17 32.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08.25.2007, 07:24 PM   #61
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplifly
Complete bullshit. You can vote. You can get involved. You can care.

AS long as you are alive and free it is your duty as a living and free being to protect that freedom, not just for yourself but for everyone else.

But hell, what does it matter if they if the don't lock up EVERYBODY, just some of us. Come fucking on.

explain to me how voting solves problems like the 80,000 homeless people in Los Angeles county?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2007, 01:17 AM   #62
Amplifly
little trouble girl

Amplifly kicks all y'all's assesAmplifly kicks all y'all's assesAmplifly kicks all y'all's assesAmplifly kicks all y'all's assesAmplifly kicks all y'all's assesAmplifly kicks all y'all's assesAmplifly kicks all y'all's assesAmplifly kicks all y'all's assesAmplifly kicks all y'all's assesAmplifly kicks all y'all's assesAmplifly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
explain to me how voting solves problems like the 80,000 homeless people in Los Angeles county?

Explain to me how being an indifferent stoner solves problems like the 80,000 homeless people in Los Angeles county?

[edit] and 80,000 damn! what is that? like 1/10 of the city?

[edit] and lawl at your edit of my quote? What?
Amplifly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2007, 03:43 PM   #63
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplifly
Explain to me how being an indifferent stoner solves problems like the 80,000 homeless people in Los Angeles county?

[edit] and 80,000 damn! what is that? like 1/10 of the city?

I don't make up these numbers, the city confesses them. I doubt the city would exagerate in a confession. you can call me an indifferent stoner, but it obviously doesn't work in this scenario here. anyways, your attack at me is fine, but it doesn't answer my question, how does voting solve the problems of this country like the homeless people all around us? your question is sarcasm and my question is serious.

Old 08.26.2007, 07:32 PM   #64
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I don't make up these numbers, the city confesses them. I doubt the city would exagerate in a confession. you can call me an indifferent stoner, but it obviously doesn't work in this scenario here. anyways, your attack at me is fine, but it doesn't answer my question, how does voting solve the problems of this country like the homeless people all around us? your question is sarcasm and my question is serious.

If you vote for someone who then gets into power that does something about it doesnt that solve it?

Removing yourself from the electoral system by not voting also removes your right to bitch or whine about the politicians who other people vote for

And if the issue really gets to you that much why not become politically active and campaign for change?

Join an NGO and help the homeless?
ThePits is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2007, 07:44 PM   #65
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Because you vote for someone who might do better. The more people vote, the more we can change the world. You have what most liberals have, apathy towards the system they do not participate in. Sorry, if you do not vote, you should not have the right to bitch about what laws are being enforced by politicians.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2007, 08:15 PM   #66
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
Sorry, if you do not vote, you should not have the right to bitch about what laws are being enforced by politicians.

thats some more of the bullshit that the pro-voting people have convinced you to believe. "if you dont vote blah blah" that might count for some obnoxious twenty-something who bitches about things with out any insight, and that might be how you all perceive me (and that is fine, I am not here to live up to your expectactions, neither are you here to live up to mine)
but seriously, voting is a fraud.

if you believe that your vote counts for something, you've already sold yourself to the system. vote for what? the worse of two evils? isn't there a third option like stand up for yourself?

i am convinced myself that any aim or objective that a person seeks to achieve in regards to our society (be it america, the west, or the world as a whole) can achieve this aim entirely with out voting. In fact, it seems plainly obvious to me, that voting is imitating action, and that people who vote for things in America are really just half-assed, if they were serious, they would evolve to the action phase. voting is not an action, it is the excuse of the truly apathetic yet supposedly participating "voter" to do nothing more.

Old 08.26.2007, 08:21 PM   #67
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
thats some more of the bullshit that the pro-voting people have convinced you to believe. "if you dont vote blah blah" that might count for some obnoxious twenty-something who bitches about things with out any insight, and that might be how you all perceive me (and that is fine, I am not here to live up to your expectactions, neither are you here to live up to mine)
but seriously, voting is a fraud.

if you believe that your vote counts for something, you've already sold yourself to the system. vote for what? the worse of two evils? isn't there a third option like stand up for yourself?

i am convinced myself that any aim or objective that a person seeks to achieve in regards to our society (be it america, the west, or the world as a whole) can achieve this aim entirely with out voting. In fact, it seems plainly obvious to me, that voting is imitating action, and that people who vote for things in America are really just half-assed, if they were serious, they would evolve to the action phase. voting is not an action, it is the excuse of the truly apathetic yet supposedly participating "voter" to do nothing more.

I'll ask the question again, if an issue raises such strong feelings in you such as homelesness, what exactly are you doing about it?

Do you do any voluntary work to alleviate their plight?

None of the above involves voting
Old 08.26.2007, 08:40 PM   #68
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePits
I'll ask the question again, if an issue raises such strong feelings in you such as homelesness, what exactly are you doing about it?

Do you do any voluntary work to alleviate their plight?

None of the above involves voting

Sorry for the homeless of Los Angeles, but I-man is seeking a one-way ticket to Ethiopians, for it is their cries that I hear much louder. I posted that info for those people who feel strongly about remaining Americans in America, as it is their burden. My burdern is some ten-thousand miles across the ocean, but I do live in Los Angeles at the moment, and I do run into these people everyday, as I ride public transportation. What can I do for them right now as I go to school, or church or to rehearsals or to work? I buy them a beer or a burger and give them some raspect and love as people, and in a city like LA, dignity means everything. Could I do more? Of course, but then who would go to the Ethiopians?

Old 08.27.2007, 05:48 AM   #69
ThePits
stalker

Quote:
Sorry for the homeless of Los Angeles, but I-man is seeking a one-way ticket to Ethiopians, for it is their cries that I hear much louder. I posted that info for those people who feel strongly about remaining Americans in America, as it is their burden. My burdern is some ten-thousand miles across the ocean, but I do live in Los Angeles at the moment, and I do run into these people everyday, as I ride public transportation. What can I do for them right now as I go to school, or church or to rehearsals or to work? I buy them a beer or a burger and give them some raspect and love as people, and in a city like LA, dignity means everything. Could I do more? Of course, but then who would go to the Ethiopians?

You could do voluntary work via the church for the homeless or via any one of the charities that are crying out for helpers.

As for Ethiopia, if their cries are so loud to you, join an NGO that is active there, they would pay your ticket too

Theres your one way ticket
Old 08.27.2007, 09:07 AM   #70
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Disguised Canadian police upset peaceful protesters RAW STORY
Published: Sunday August 26, 2007
A video recently posted on YouTube documents a strange occurrence at a recent protest during the recent Montebello Summit in Québec, Canada, which has activists questioning the motives of police, and suspicious that the orders came down from the Prime Minister's office.
Masked men were spotted near the riot police, who held back despite one man holding a large rock, himself and two others appearing to attempt an incitement to riot. The three were confronted by other attendees and eventually handcuffed and taken away.
During the confrontation, one of the three appears to be talking directly to one of the officers.
Union President Dave Coles at a recent news conference: "The Communications, Energy and Paper Workers Union of Canada believes that the security force at Montebello were ordered to infiltrate our peaceful assembly and to provoke incidents."
In addition to the video footage, the three suspected plants wore the same brand boots, as evidenced by the soles, as the Sûreté du Québec riot police. Neither the SQ, nor the RCMP, commented; each initially denied planting agents provocateurs.
"Oops. Somebody took a picture," quips Coles.
Former police officer Doug Kirkland, who runs a private security, says that planting undercover police at protests is beneficial when used to root out true troublemakers, but, says Kirkland while viewing the video footage: "That's a very slippery slope."
Continues Kirkland, "I think you're stretching the bounds of proper police intelligence when you're doing that kind of work."
Sûreté du Québec later issued a press release confirming that the three men in question were indeed officers, there to maintain order rather than disrupt the protest, and that no crime was committed.
Long-time lawyer for activists Lawrence Greenspon calls for politicians to act.
"There's a serious issue about proper police conduct here," says attorney Lawrence Greenspon, a longtime defender of protesters.

"I think the people that represent us in the legislature should be looking at some form of legislation that says 'Wait a second. This is not proper use of police resources, and we should be setting guidelines.'"
"This is the face of it," says Dave Coles, "where people can't even ask a question without having to face these kind of goons," referring to riot police, who are said to attempt to incite violence with aims to suppress speech, even when the activity takes place in designated spaces.
"It's time that all the secrecy and backroom deals end."
Minister of Safety Stockwell Day deflects blame from the RCMP, encouraging utilization of the "complaints process" available through the SQ.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2007, 01:22 PM   #71
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
‘to protect children’

LUCY ADAMS
UK Herald
Saturday, August 25, 2007
A controversial plan for CCTV to be used to protect children in the homes of chaotic drug-abusing parents has been proposed by one of Scotland's most eminent drugs experts.
Professor Neil McKeganey, head of the centre for Drug Misuse Research at Glasgow University, believes radical measures are required to protect the estimated 160,000 children in Scotland living with an alcoholic or drug-addicted parent.
He believes the sheer scale of the problem, which was previously estimated as being far lower, makes it impossible for social workers to guarantee children's safety.
Old 08.27.2007, 03:22 PM   #72
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
You could do voluntary work via the church for the homeless or via any one of the charities that are crying out for helpers.

As for Ethiopia, if their cries are so loud to you, join an NGO that is active there, they would pay your ticket too

Theres your one way ticket

have to finish school.... and by the way, most NGOs do NOT pay for your ticket, and usually they barely supply adequate housing. its much more effecient and effective to fund your own way, hence, finishing school and besides,
Ethiopians prefer educated professional Americans

Old 08.27.2007, 03:42 PM   #73
ThePits
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
‘to protect children’

LUCY ADAMS
UK Herald
Saturday, August 25, 2007
A controversial plan for CCTV to be used to protect children in the homes of chaotic drug-abusing parents has been proposed by one of Scotland's most eminent drugs experts.
Professor Neil McKeganey, head of the centre for Drug Misuse Research at Glasgow University, believes radical measures are required to protect the estimated 160,000 children in Scotland living with an alcoholic or drug-addicted parent.
He believes the sheer scale of the problem, which was previously estimated as being far lower, makes it impossible for social workers to guarantee children's safety.

OK so lets assume one person can watch 4 cctv cameras at the same time on the same screen

Where the hell in Scotland are you going to find the 3 shifts of 40,000 people totalling 120,000 workers who are sober enough or not on drugs to do that?

Some academics have the best ideas
Old 08.27.2007, 03:56 PM   #74
tesla69
Banned

Quote:
OK so lets assume one person can watch 4 cctv cameras at the same time on the same screen

Where the hell in Scotland are you going to find the 3 shifts of 40,000 people totalling 120,000 workers who are sober enough or not on drugs to do that?

Dont some academics have the best ideas

But they'll have videos of the abuse they can watch over and over again.
Old 08.27.2007, 04:15 PM   #75
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets Trailer

I saw this trailer a couple of Saturdays ago in the Coming Attractions and was the only person (as far as I could tell anyway) in the whole packed theater who repeatedly chuckled involuntarily at the ridiculousness.

Boy, Helen Mirren sure has taken a dive into the shit pit.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2007, 01:19 PM   #76
tesla69
Banned

9/7/2007
Mounted police charged in to break up an outdoor press conference and demonstration against the Iraq war

in Washington on Thursday, arresting three people, organizers and an AFP reporter said.
"The police suppressed the press conference. In the middle of the speeches, they grabbed the podium" erected in a park in front of the White House for the small gathering, Brian Becker, national organizer of the ANSWER anti-war coalition, told AFP.
"Then, mounted police charged the media present to disperse them," Becker said.
The charge caused a peaceful crowd of some 20 journalists and four or five protestors to scatter in terror, an AFP correspondent at the event in Lafayette Square said. No one appeared to have been hurt.
Three people -- Tina Richards, the mother of a marine who did two tours of duty in Iraq; Adam Kokesh, a leader of the Iraq Veterans Against the War

group; and lawyer Ian Thompson, who is an organizer for ANSWER in Los Angeles -- were arrested, Becker said.
The ANSWER coalition is trying to rally support for an anti-war demonstration in Washington that is due to take place on September 15.
Last month, the movement was threatened with a fine of at least 10,000 dollars unless it removed posters in the city announcing the September 15 march.
Washington city authorities have said the posters had to come down because they were stuck on with adhesive that did not meet city regulations.
"At our demonstration today we were showing the media that the paste we use conforms to the rules," Becker said.
"One of our activists was making a speech when the police barged in and grabbed the podium. At that point, Tina Richards started to put up a poster, so they arrested her and two others."
"This strategy of suppression has not worked. We expect many tens of thousands of people" in Washington for the September 15 anti-war demonstration, he said.
The march has been timed to coincide with the release of a report by the US military commander in Iraq, General David Petraeus, and will be part of a week of protests led by veterans of the Iraq war.
A petition calling for the impeachment of President George W. Bush, allegedly carrying one million signatures and endorsed by former US attorney general Ramsey Clark, will also be submitted to officials during the week's activities, ANSWER has told AFP.
Old 09.07.2007, 01:30 PM   #77
ThePits
stalker

OK whats the chances of a group that can only muster 4 - 5 demonstrators getting a decent turnout for a demonstration on the 15th or a million petition signature?
Old 09.10.2007, 10:44 AM   #78
tesla69
Banned

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles...07Motorist.htm
Old 10.01.2007, 11:45 AM   #79
tesla69
Banned

It was in this context that the planning for the RNC demonstrations took place. In 2006, in five internal police reports made public as part of a lawsuit, "New York City police commanders candidly discuss[ed] how they had successfully used 'proactive arrests,' covert surveillance and psychological tactics at political demonstrations in 2002, and recommend[ed] that those approaches be employed at future gatherings." A draft report from the department's Disorder Control Unit had a not-so-startling recommendation, given what did happen at the RNC: "Utilize undercover officers to distribute misinformation within the crowds."
According to Dwyer, for at least a year prior to those demonstrations, "teams of undercover New York City police officers traveled to cities across the country, Canada and Europe" to conduct covert surveillance of activists. "In hundreds of reports, stamped 'N.Y.P.D. Secret,' [the NYPD's] Intelligence Division chronicled the views and plans of people who had no apparent intention of breaking the law, [including] street theater companies, church groups and antiwar organizations, as well as environmentalists and people opposed to the death penalty, globalization and other government policies." Three elected city councilmen -- Charles Barron, Bill Perkins and Larry B. Seabrook -- were even cited in the reports for endorsing a protest event held on January 15, 2004 in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday.
http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles...Repression.htm
Old 10.01.2007, 10:50 PM   #80
5Against1
bad moon rising

5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses
Nah, this isn't a police state...yet. Wait until they do away with cash, that'll be one of the first signs that the true Oligarchy has begun.
5Against1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth