Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page A good rule for people who have a lot of things to say about music
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.29.2007, 07:42 PM   #21
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
atari and who ever else might be interested here are some books you guys might like

noise water meat
four musical minimalists
illegal harmonies

on the other point perhaps some people don't have the facility to talk about music in the way some would like, however this does not make their opinions any more or less valid, professioanlism doesn't count for shit unless people are asking for advice, which people do on this board and it is great that others can impart knowledge. on the otherside of the knife it does annoy me when people say stuff is shit when they don't like it, they could just say they don't like it, for example the tool threads, some say tool are shit and boring... now technicially tool are definately not shit but people are allowed to find them boring and not like it.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2007, 09:54 PM   #22
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Unless you produce it or write about it in a more significant way , as well as breath it, it's useless and ultimately boring to hear over and over again about your views in contexts that don't add up to much, and in fact they are depressing for most of those who love it dearly . Really, do something about your frustrations or shut the fuck up.

I'm not sure if your talking about something I probably agree with (which I can't quite quantify) or utter nonsense of the "you don't play music so your opinion about music isn't valid" variety that is trotted out by shit bands that can't take criticism. I'm going to assume the former seeing as you're a sensible chap.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2007, 10:20 PM   #23
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
I don't know, SuchFriendsAreDangerous, I've just always been that way. I was the same way about my artwork before it burned up.

Here from the king's mountain view;
Here from the wild dream come true -
Feast like a sultan, I do,
on treasures and flesh, never few.

But I, I would wish it all away
if I, thought I'd, lose you
just one day

The devil and his had me down,
in love with the dark side I'd found.

Dabbling all the way down.
Up to my neck;
Soon to drown

But you,
changed that all for me,
lifted me up, turned me 'round.
So I
I
I
I
I would
I would
I would
Wish this all away

Prayed like a martyr dusk til dawn
Begged like a hooker all night long
Tempted the devil with my song
And got what I wanted all along

But I
and I would
If I could,
then, I would
Wish it away
Wish it away
Wish it all away
Wanna wish it all away
No cross could hold, sway,
or justify kneeling away my center

So if I could I'd wish it all away,
if I thought tomorrow
would take you away.
You're my peace of mind, my home, my center.
I'm just trying to hold on
one more day

Dim my eyes
Dim my eyes

Dim my eyes, if they should
compromise our fulcrum;
Want and need - if I need it
I might as well be gone

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent son

Shine down upon the broken
Shine until the two become one

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent son

Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Divided I'm withering away
Divided I'm withering away

Shine down upon the many
Light our way
Benevolent son

Breathe in union
Breathe in union
Breathe in union
Breathe in union
Breathe in union
So, as one, survive
another day in season.

Silence legion, save your poison,
Silence legion stay out of my way!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2007, 11:20 PM   #24
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
truth be told, the biggest reason i post any of the work i do or any word about my band is because i'm always fishing for constructive criticism. i AM one of those people out there gigging and constantly playing, and it's super hard to be objective about my own work (unless i'm positive that something's complete crap), so i put it up here every now and then for you meanies to listen to it and let me know what you all think.

and suchfriends, that's a pretty audacious thing of you to say to atari about not being too keen on posting his own stuff. one's personal recordings can be very intimate. respect his mind and stop posting silly lyrics.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2007, 03:12 AM   #25
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Yay, I tend to limit my music related posts to occassions on which I have something relevant (to me, at least) to express. But I actually enjoy also reading those "this is shit, this is the shit, go dino, she can't sing, they're a washed out version of ____ , "xxx" were doing the same things 20 years ago" kinds of posts, but I also kinda hate when there are like 2000s different threads on the same band, with always the same people caring to reply.
So, yeah.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2007, 03:24 AM   #26
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
I'm cuter in real life.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2007, 03:30 AM   #27
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I rarely try to express opinions on music on here, because I find it hard to articulate my thoughts, but that doesn't restrict my ability to recognise something that I think is a brilliant piece of music. If I'm recommending music, I'll try to give a brief description and a link, rather than wax lyrical like I want to be a muso journalist.

Like Nefeli, I've developed an internal filter that sees posts by certain people and tells me not to bother reading them. On the other hand, the filter also tells me that there are other people whose posts are almost always interesteing and informative, or, failing that, entertaining, and tells me that I must read anything that they've written.

PS - Nicfit, my sheep could kick your rabbit's arse in the cuteness stakes any day.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2007, 03:46 AM   #28
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
In all my years at sonicyouth.com, I've never heard one single thing from board members that impressed me enough to deem it as any good really. But hey, many bands and artists sounded awful when they first started, so I don't want to discourage anyone outright. I have heard some material that has possible potential.

I have no desire to share the music I make with the bunch here. Nor would there be any point. It would just be one more thing for people to be jealous about and nit-pick and take issue with. Why do you think people disclaim their offerings as "shameless self promotion?" Because it is exactly that. It it works for them, then great. To me, it just seems needy. Collect your efforts and put them onto board compilations. That's really the only way not to look like a jackass. If you do have a band that plays gigs, then you have a right to post about it. If you don't, then don't be a cheese. Just some advice.

BREATHe

What brings you back into sections of this frorum that aren't about Sonic Youth, then? Also, what is wrong about people sharing their music on here? I try to listen to it whenever it's possible, and I appreciate people who want others to hear it, regardless of its quality. In fact, I probably admire those more than others because they're not afraid of criticism coming from complete strangers. Some posters share it on the main forum, others prefer to do it through pm, there's no major difference and it doesn't make your music particularly better or worse. And for as long as it's good tunes, who cares?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2007, 06:40 AM   #29
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
shameless self promotion line.
there is a thin line that cant clearly identify. sometimes this feeling can be created, but overall i think its wrong way to see it like this. mostly why people call it that way, the reasons for that are known to all of us. shyness, embarrassement, insecurity of quality of your work.
after listening to many interesting sounds -wouldnt even call them efforts, some were better than this- am all for boardies music sharing here.
cmon, its like showing your work to a bunch of people, who moreover have a amount of experience in listening to music, to give you a more valid opinion.

solid.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2007, 07:42 AM   #30
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
its an internet forum! people can choose to self promote or partake in others self promotion. all valid and worthy points all made but wheres the fun? serious thread.. let others do what they will with their work, if u choose to listen well and good, if not then thats ok too, isnt it?
Old 05.30.2007, 08:25 AM   #31
sarramkrop

Good point. Also, what good self-promotion can it be, if one is not even trying to sell their own music? Has it now become a crime to make people listen to what you do and take the criticism like a man? There are obviously certain examples of people who try to thrust it on your ears way too often and never seem to engage themselves on a variety of musical subjects but their own music, sure, but the part of your brain that makes you ignore people or posts will allow you to live a better internet life for you and your own children.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2007, 08:34 AM   #32
farmhouse
bad moon rising

farmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's asses
well we're all consumers aren't we . . . just shitbags that watch telly and stuff bad things in our mouths while we observe quality from our shithole that noone gives a shit about. or so modern society suppresses us to believe.
NO! we are all equal and worthy as each other. until we free our minds to think in this way it is impossible for us all to achieve our potential. potential as what? well, as creators! . . . we shouldn't be an audience! . . . we are the actors . . .each of us! . . . we all have individual voices all something new to say and should do this daily for ourselves and for noone else. or if we create and display our creations it should be to inspire others to do the same thing should it not?we are not leeches we are insecure audience somehow attached to a stigma of the current age. we will never be like our gods because we ourselves have made them godlike! . . . we shouldn't be trying to better ourselves or achieve some potential that we sense in someone else. we should be honest and nothing else. there isn't right or wrong in the arts there is just do or don't do and i think it is stifling to the human condition to not do.

yeah, okay i'll shut up now. . . . holds up big shield with my face on it to protect from incoming shitstorm.
farmhouse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2007, 08:34 AM   #33
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Saying "here's a piece of music, what do you think" doesn't have to be self-promotion though, it can just as easily be born of the excitement of having created something, much the same as showing baby photos. The only difference being that no-one ever tells the creator of a baby that it's the ugliest thing ever known to man.
Old 05.30.2007, 08:36 AM   #34
sonicl
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmhouse
well we're all consumers aren't we . . . just shitbags that watch telly and stuff bad things in our mouths while we observe quality from our shithole that noone gives a shit about. or so modern society suppresses us to believe.
NO! we are all equal and worthy as each other. until we free our minds to think in this way it is impossible for us all to achieve our potential. potential as what? well, as creators! . . . we shouldn't be an audience! . . . we are the actors . . .each of us! . . . we all have individual voices all something new to say and should do this daily for ourselves and for noone else. or if we create and display our creations it should be to inspire others to do the same thing should it not?we are not leeches we are insecure audience somehow attached to a stigma of the current age. we will never be like our gods because we ourselves have made them godlike! . . . we shouldn't be trying to better ourselves or achieve some potential that we sense in someone else. we should be honest and nothing else. there isn't right or wrong in the arts there is just do or don't do and i think it is stifling to the human condition to not do.

yeah, okay i'll shut up now. . . . holds up big shield with my face on it to protect from incoming shitstorm.
I don't suppose you could do something to make this easier to read could you? My mind can't be bothered with great big blocks of text.
Old 05.30.2007, 08:37 AM   #35
farmhouse
bad moon rising

farmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
I don't suppose you could do something to make this easier to read could you? My mind can't be bothered with great big blocks of text.

yeah, sorry it does resemble something . .. i.e. rant.
Old 05.30.2007, 08:41 AM   #36
farmhouse
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Saying "here's a piece of music, what do you think" doesn't have to be self-promotion though, it can just as easily be born of the excitement of having created something, much the same as showing baby photos. The only difference being that no-one ever tells the creator of a baby that it's the ugliest thing ever known to man.

yes! .. . that's a good point that somehow relates. people don't stop making people just because the quality deteriorates. Or because all the best have come and gone. we try regardless. effort. doing is the most important bit.
Old 05.30.2007, 08:42 AM   #37
sarramkrop

If you stare at it intensily, there are four holes in farmhouse's post. I stared at it without reading it, and I saw things that weren't there before.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2007, 08:45 AM   #38
farmhouse
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
If you stare at it intensily, there are four holes in farmhouse's post. I stared at it without reading it, and I saw things that weren't there before.

i thank you. besides don't read what's there, read what's not there.
Old 05.30.2007, 08:50 AM   #39
sarramkrop

I was wrong, there are five holes on it. Check it again.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2007, 08:52 AM   #40
farmhouse
bad moon rising

there are six holes you dick.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth