Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.07.2007, 12:43 PM   #1
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
post pictures, info and stories with your precious amplifiers you pump yr guitars, basses or else with.
here is mine (and the acoustic is no more, i sold it.)

i bought this Bass Master head from a guy who holds a rehearsal room here in Sofia. i've used it (along with 10 000 other guys) for more than 2 years in that studio, actually we used this place quite frequently. it's built by the same dude who made my stompboxes (super fuzz and EH bass muff replicas), so there wasn't a dillema (sp?) to buy it or not. + i got it for ~ 60 euros. it was used hard for more than four years now and i still haven't got serious problems w/ it. by the time it was at the practice room it used to make 'boom boom' from time to time, but every time it was some wacko with active bass, so i guess the 'active' input/socket was kind of fucked; my basses are 'passive' and i never got into trouble (no 'boom boom' at all huh).
i've used it with my strat too, and still do. it sounds pretty tight with those two pedals i've mentioned, but the clean sound of it is not extremely 'bright'. over all i use gauge 12 strings and droney dropped tuning, so this satisfies my gtr sound needs (fat, heavy, warm and consistent tone, like honey.. ahha).
and this head weighs a ton. or a ton and a half.

PS* you could see my leg on the left;

PS** you could see what a mess my room was two months ago (when I took the picture);

PS*** this head has a sticker that says KPD-0 Sofia city on the left side but you can't see it. do you put stickers on yr amps/basses/guitars/stuff? i do. a lot.

PS**** my 'cabinet' looks aand plays like a wild punk shows' survivor. i need a new one... but I haven't looked too hard i guess...

peace attack
Old 11.07.2007, 12:48 PM   #2
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I have this little son of a bitch:

Nice to screw around in the living room. But that's it I guess.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 01:01 PM   #3
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
i got rid of my small 20W screaming piece of shit (namely D.Larios) and now i feel the loss of an easy to carry around amp. i'd like to have a 'little son of a bitch' for my bass... i like to jam around but people have to come over my place, i'm not carrying my motherfucker unless it's a gig. _slavo_, what is yr guitar? share some pics if possible.
Old 11.07.2007, 01:39 PM   #4
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
i'm getting a fender blues jr sometime around january
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 01:48 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I have a firstact amp, $20, only plays clean. It sucks, there's absolutely nothing good about it. If anyone has any suggestions on something cool I can do with it, lemme know (I don't think you can really, uhm, "circuit bend" an amp or anything, so I dunno -- maybe pour water on it?)

I have a Squire Champ 15 amp, first edition model, which was also $20. It's cool, but it's old, so it only goes up to a certain volume.. it's weird, like.. if you're at volume 6, it stays at the actual volume intended for 4 on the volume scale -- but when you go to volume 7, it goes up to the actual volume intended for if you had the dial at 10. Very good sound, somehow, no matter what you play, you can discern every note, yet the thing is distorted/fuzzy as fuck.

I have a later model of the Champ 15 which has more knobs on it than just treble/gain/volume/bass of the amp I talked about above. It's great, it's probably like 5 pounds, it's loud as fuck, it has the best distortion I've ever heard (Husker Du's vaccuum cleaner distortion meets Big Black's knife-in-the-lawnmower distortion -- no kidding!). I use this if a song needs a quick layer of slanted and/or enchanted fuzz..

I have another amp I forget the name of, but it was $2.50 (I got it with my first guitar, which was also $2.50; yes, some jock kid at school sold me a guitar and an amp for $5 because it didn't work at all; it just needed some wires resoldered and it worked like a gem until I broke the guitar, but the amp still works -- this thing HAS TO be 30 years old). The only knobs on it are volume/tremolo/gain. It honestly sounds like shit and has no practical purpose unless I just have to have the "tremolo" setting turned up for a part in a surf song. Good for layering, I guess..

Finally, I got a Behringer amp that cost me $200. I forget the model number, but.. uhm.. it's got a bunch of switches that will replicate vintage amp sounds and it's got 100 built-in effects with another switch to control the amp of the effect and such. Behringer makes the cheapest and the shoddiest amps around; knobs are constantly falling off of this thing, and I've had to get two of the knobs replaced (two more fell off the other day; I'm not going to get those replaced; keep in mind I take really good care of my amps, this is just from me TURNING THE KNOBS that they broke; ridiculous). Still, it's got a really good sound, perfect for WHATEVER kind of music you want to make, and it's pretty much what I use for all the Robe./Scissor Shock stuff..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 02:14 PM   #6
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm using this little 20W gorilla I found on the street - its blown out to hell but works fine at the low volumes I'm forced to play at in the apt...I'd like to turn it way up, its loud as anything. I'd like to get a Roland bass cube actually...and a cheap practice space in <insert laugh track here> nyc.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 03:25 PM   #7
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
cool thread man, I bought a Line 6 Spider II a few years ago, I didn't know much about amps back then, but after a great demo of it by my friend in a store in doncaster I think, I thought it was pretty good and bought it. I think my friend has used it more than me, none of my neighbours seem to tolerate my guitar playing, I stick to acoustic guitar mainly anyway. It's alright, but I've never really liked it that much, I have never had the chance to use the "insane amp model" on it, lousy neighbours.

Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 04:03 PM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
haha, I was just talking about that amp on here a few weeks ago. I love the tremolo setting on it; it makes it sound like a skipping cd. and it has "INSANE"!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 05:04 PM   #9
FruitLoop
children of satan

FruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard sucka
I've bought a Cube 30 this summer, so far so good. Not too heavy, with built-in effects and amp modelling (plus you can use headphones!). It's my first amp (after 8 years of playing guitar!) and works well for that, finding out what I like from it, before veering out into the world of larger amps with a narrower range of sounds, should the need arise. For 200$ used, it has been a decent purchase.

No "insane" function here but it's got "X-treme" distortion or some cheezy name like that...
FruitLoop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 05:24 PM   #10
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I need to repair my Bassman. It is broken. My little 15 watt amps blow chunks in comparison.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2007, 03:23 AM   #11
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitLoop
I've bought a Cube 30 this summer, so far so good. Not too heavy, with built-in effects and amp modelling (plus you can use headphones!). It's my first amp (after 8 years of playing guitar!) and works well for that, finding out what I like from it, before veering out into the world of larger amps with a narrower range of sounds, should the need arise. For 200$ used, it has been a decent purchase.

No "insane" function here but it's got "X-treme" distortion or some cheezy name like that...

Hahaha i've got the 15 watt version of that. Its crappy as fuck. Cleans are allright though.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2007, 03:27 AM   #12
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka

Marshall Valvestate 8080. Bigger than it looks.
Old 11.08.2007, 10:04 AM   #13
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

Behringer=Wrong.
Old 11.08.2007, 10:06 AM   #14
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
i don't use amps. my setup sounds like complete through guitar and bass amps and instead of using a piano amp, i'd rather just use a PA, that way every little nuance is heard without having to turn up the gain to some ungodly level.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2007, 10:41 AM   #15
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
I've got a Fender Twin Reverb.. great amp

Also got a Fender Frontman (75 w) and a random Rogue (100 w) that is kind of a peice of shit
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2007, 11:39 AM   #16
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

the twin verb is awesome.
yours look pretty beat up, makes it looks twice as awesome
Old 11.08.2007, 11:41 AM   #17
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i have a smokie, i need to change the battery but it's awesome!!!

i have a crate gx-15 that's shorting and that's sad because it's a great amp.

and my workhorse is a crate gx-30m which is great for home recording.

i need a gigging amp...and gigs!
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2007, 12:35 PM   #18
jonathan
children of satan

jonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's asses
That Twin Reverb is the only amp worth posting about. You weiners need to beef up your amps and quit flooding a gear thread with shitty practice amps and sad excuses like "I use a PA because it sounds better".

I've got a silverface Bassman 100 running through a 2x12 Avatar cab with Eminence Tonker speakers. Shit rules. Sounds good and it was cheap as hell. It can handle both my guitar and bass. I've also got an Ampeg 4x10 HLF for when I'm feeling saucy.
jonathan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2007, 12:51 PM   #19
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
uh, head cut from a SWR redhead combo inflating 300 watt in a 4x12" PEavey cab. Too powerful.
Not much stories about this stuff, except for the "strange" cut head I found in a shop and the 4x12" cab that I found ridicolously cheap and in perfect condition with a boss cs-2 pedal given as a gift by the previous cab owner, cs-2 that I ended up selling on ebay for like 90 euros, half the price I paid for the cab. ha ha.
Now I loaned it (the cab) to a friend of mine coz I don't need such power as I don't play live, I have a 2x12" Eden cab too but a speaker is blown and the cab itself sounds distorted and fuzzy (in a bad way) with the only speaker that survived.... gotta check that shit ann see if I can fix it somehow. BTW, when I'll have enough spare money I'll have a bassbomb built by this guy www.earcandycabs.com , too bad shipping costs will kill my enthusiasm.

p.s. shentov, how much does your friend ask for those cloned effects?
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2007, 01:00 PM   #20
The Usher
stalker

The Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_mind
cool thread man, I bought a Line 6 Spider II a few years ago, I didn't know much about amps back then, but after a great demo of it by my friend in a store in doncaster I think, I thought it was pretty good and bought it. I think my friend has used it more than me, none of my neighbours seem to tolerate my guitar playing, I stick to acoustic guitar mainly anyway. It's alright, but I've never really liked it that much, I have never had the chance to use the "insane amp model" on it, lousy neighbours.

Ha, that's the amp I've got, I fuckin' hate it. I can't even bare to look at it. It sounds ok, but the effects are so cheesy! I got a really cheap price for it online, when it arrived I wanted to send it back, but the company wanted to charge me a £50 restocking fee! So now I just take it out on the amp and abuse it whenever possible!

The Usher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth