Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page bowie
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.16.2007, 10:29 AM   #61
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
sorry, I was busy placing my exposed genitalia on the keyboards of the attractive ladies here at the office.
Old 08.16.2007, 10:32 AM   #62
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
sorry, I was busy placing my exposed genitalia on the keyboards of the attractive ladies here at the office.
just delete all that shit alright? jesus.
Old 08.16.2007, 10:44 AM   #63
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
done and done. actualy I deleted everything but sent it all to larry flynt. he likes em freaky. he said he would be contacting you.
Old 08.16.2007, 11:21 AM   #64
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
Plugged in Bowie late last night on you tube and went through a bunch of his clips and was just blown away. So many great, truly original, songs.

Let's not forget his contributions via Iggy too. He basically saved Iggy's career in the late 70's with the Idiot and Lust for Life. And he didn't step in and try to outshine Iggy in any way. He was only in the shadows trying to help him create something new for IG. The actual musical end of that stuff was almost all Bowie. A true artist musican, the real deal.

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 11:22 AM   #65
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

he loved his helmet in jagger's brown-eye
Old 08.16.2007, 11:31 AM   #66
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
yeah, they were neck to neck, in the 70's, in england; and now, all music posers are like "david bowie is the greatest" when perhaps 20% of those people have heard just "bang a gong", let alone the slider and/or electric warrior.

I started listening to T. Rex before I really got into Bowie. I have a number of albums by both of them (especially T. Rex) and they really don't sound enough alike to compare them in such a way. The only significant thing that they have in common, as far as I'm concerned, is the time period during which they both released the records they are most famous for. Maybe a few years ago I would've said that I wished T. Rex were as well-known and liked as Bowie, but now I would rather not have it that way. Most people I know who claim to like Bowie, for instance, only like a few of his songs and the rest they are attracted to is just his image in general and what it means for them. On the other hand, even though there really aren't a lot of T. Rex fans where I live, when I do find one, they're really into the music and not just the idea of the music and the image that goes along with it. This is probably because the name "David Bowie" means a certain thing to many people, whereas "T. Rex" doesn't mean much of anything to the same people, so liking T. Rex for their name alone won't do you much good. What I'm saying here is that claiming to be a David Bowie fan will automatically win you friends who like to pretend to be bisexual when really they're probably just a bunch of sexually inexperienced teenagers who like to at least appear otherwise. Claiming to be a T. Rex fan will just get you a bunch of strange looks from people who think you're really into dinosaurs.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 11:53 AM   #67
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
done and done. actualy I deleted everything but sent it all to larry flynt. he likes em freaky. he said he would be contacting you.
neat, i've secretly always wanted to meet him
Old 08.16.2007, 11:57 AM   #68
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Technically speaking that's not feedback but Fripp playing the guitar with an E-Bow.

As far as I know, that is a common misconception and he didn't use e-bow.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 12:13 PM   #69
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i will when i'm more awake but basically, in a nutshell, he's damaged a lot of people's music, he's hogged the spotlight so much so that many people go unnoticed that were more talented than him (ahem, marc bolan, for once) and dumbed down a lot of other currents of music just so he can have hits.

his music from the 80's sucked with capital puke and he can be very boring.

still, he's written so many great songs but still.

i will rep you for stating the genius of 1970. and for the record, all iggy solo records suck, save for a few songs here and there, the idiot and lust for life suck.

porky: what do you mean quoting t&b? and "again"?

Are you for real?

The Idiot and Lust for Life suck?

Come on man. There isn't one bad song on Lust for Life!
  • Lust for Life is an awesome classic song with a great drum beat
  • Sixteen is a sexy song that makes you feel eerily pseudo-pedophilic
  • Some Weird Sin has and awesome guitar riff
  • The Passenger has that great chord progression that Iggy noticed the session guitarist playing
  • Tonight and Success- the only weak songs on the album, but Tonight is a nice gear down, and Success is pretty hooky.
  • Turn Blue- "Jesus, this is Iggy"
  • Neighborhood Threat- Sweet arpeggiating guitar, synth, awesome lyrics, and that part between the chorus and the verse is awesome
  • Fall in Love With Me- Nice circular lyrical stucture
I won't go into the same for The Idiot, but Dum Dum Boys, Nightclubbing, and Mass Production all rule.

And as I said earlier, if it were not for Bowie, Iggy would be dead. Bowie was one of the only people who visited Iggy and encouraged him when he was in a mental hospital.
Old 08.16.2007, 12:19 PM   #70
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR2L98gobTQ
Old 08.16.2007, 12:25 PM   #71
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
As far as I know, that is a common misconception and he didn't use e-bow.

That's news to me. Not only it sounds like he's using one on the song itself, but Fripp himself confirmed it on many interviews. Perhaps he was drunk while he was playing and he forgot all about it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 12:27 PM   #72
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I hear that space is a pretty freaky place.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 12:44 PM   #73
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

i hear david bowie saved iggy just so he could steal all his good ideas.
Old 08.16.2007, 12:55 PM   #74
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
That's news to me. Not only it sounds like he's using one on the song itself, but Fripp himself confirmed it on many interviews. Perhaps he was drunk while he was playing and he forgot all about it.

Hmmm, sounds like what I heard was just bullshit.

I could have sworn reading something along the lines of "while many assumed that fripp was using an e-bow, he actually was doing weird guitar voodoo shit involving his expert manipulation of feedback"
Old 08.16.2007, 12:56 PM   #75
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
i hear david bowie saved iggy just so he could steal all his good ideas.

So Iggy Pop was going to try to make a dance album in the early 80s?
Old 08.16.2007, 01:02 PM   #76
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

yes! and instead he ended up making COLD METAL, the worst piece of suck ass suckage foisted upon the world

he played tag in the auto graveyard
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iwqW0Zz7M7Y
Old 08.16.2007, 01:42 PM   #77
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
I suggest reading Open up and Bleed, the Iggy story, to Rob and Spectral. It hits on this stuff, and how the author having the inside look at this stuff, explained how Iggy thought David was taking too much credit for their collaboration. Iggy was very weary of that stuff and David was the utmost gentleman about it. But certainly the IDiot and Lust for Life could have had David's name on them too. Looking at them and the liners you almost don't even know David was involved. David was alot more popular at that time too and that was mighty generous of him. Iggy was out of control during the majority of his career, and was truly awful to some people that played with him or were around him. He won't even talk to one of the Sales brothers and the guy, to this day, doesn't know why. It may have mentioned something in the book as to why, but it was so dumb i can't remember it either. iggy could be one cold, selfish, prick. But look, David was not dumb. They helped each other. But realize this too, those particular Iggy albums were very cutting edge..much more Bowie's influence as you can hear from Low,Lodger, Monsters and all that stuff. It was David that took Iggy and brought him to Berlin and took in all the arty culture that was Bowie. One listen to Sister Midnight and you know its true.

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 02:24 PM   #78
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

it was also david that plucked stevie ray vaughn and told him he would be in bowie's band and had him cut the dope guitar solo for LET'S DANCE and then kicked his ass back to the curb, then making the video for that song, not including stevie ray, and pretending to play all of stevie's licks essentially air guitaring like a fucking thief that he is, a musical thief

good songs though. very good songs.
Old 08.16.2007, 02:27 PM   #79
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I would rather be known as a musical thief than to be known as someone who thought SRV's guitar stylings were "dope."
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 02:59 PM   #80
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I love Jimi, I love Neil Young, I love Stevie Ray vaughn, I love Muddy Waters, I love the GUITAR!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth