Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.22.2006, 01:57 AM   #1
Jef Mertens
100%

Jef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone seen the trailer for her new film? I really love her use of New Order music for a film situated in the 18th century.

I think it's gonna be great film, she really has a nick for the right ideas for her movies.

trailer link - http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_p...rieantoinette/

Jef Mertens is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 02:13 AM   #2
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Yeah, I've seen it. The trailer, that is. I'm looking forward to the movie.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 02:23 AM   #3
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, after the first time I saw that trailer a few months back, I couldn't stop watching it. Looks really cool and my expectations are high. I was a huge Lost in Translation fan and I am hoping the higher budget shes working with doesn't get in the way of her making anoter great film.

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 03:38 AM   #4
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translations were both very good

Trailer is interesting
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 04:16 AM   #5
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
I'm kind of dreading it and looking forward to it at the same time... she has set such a high standard for herself I'm afraid that this time around she might stumble... yeah The Virgin Suicides is genius and Lost In Translation is not far behind.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 04:36 AM   #6
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I read that Kevin Shields is involved in the music again, and has remixed a couple of Bow Wow Wow songs for the film, the link being that Marie Antoinette has apparently been based upon Annabella Lu Win. A very bizarre concept!

sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 04:39 AM   #7
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic johnny
I'm kind of dreading it and looking forward to it at the same time... she has set such a high standard for herself I'm afraid that this time around she might stumble... yeah The Virgin Suicides is genius and Lost In Translation is not far behind.
agreed
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 10:23 AM   #8
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know.

Scarlett> Kirsten anyday. There are very few movies have liked with Kirsten Dunst.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 10:19 PM   #9
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
Has anybody read the book that its based on? I am wondering if it will be more historically based or if it will be somewhat of a fictitious account. Aside from the music, I hope Coppola stays true to the time and avoids a bunch of anachronisms.

Old 05.22.2006, 10:24 PM   #10
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisemachine
Has anybody read the book that its based on? I am wondering if it will be more historically based or if it will be somewhat of a fictitious account. Aside from the music, I hope Coppola stays true to the time and avoids a bunch of anachronisms.

The book that it is based on is supposedly a very accurate portrayal of her life.

Marie Antoinette : The Journey by Antonia Fraser

"Amazon.com
In the past, Antonia Fraser's bestselling histories and biographies have focused on people and events in her native England, from Mary Queen of Scots to Faith and Treason: The Story of the Gunpowder Plot. Now she crosses the Channel to limn the life of France's unhappiest queen, bringing along her gift for fluent storytelling, vivid characterization, and evocative historical background. Marie Antoinette (1755-93) emerges in Fraser's sympathetic portrait as a goodhearted girl woefully undereducated and poorly prepared for the dynastic political intrigues into which she was thrust at age 14, when her mother, Empress Maria Theresa, married her off to the future Louis XVI to further Austria's interests in France. Far from being the licentious monster later depicted by the radicals who sent her to the guillotine at the height of the French Revolution, young Marie Antoinette was quite prudish, as well as thoroughly humiliated by her husband's widely known failure to have complete intercourse with her for seven long years (the gory details were reported to any number of concerned royal parties, including her mother and brother). She compensated by spending lavishly on clothes and palaces, but Fraser points out that this hardly made her unique among 18th-century royalty, and in any case the causes of the Revolution went far beyond one woman's frivolities. The moving final chapters show Marie Antoinette gaining in dignity and courage as the Revolution stripped her of everything, subjected her to horrific brutalities (a mob paraded the head of her closest female friend on a pike below her window), and eventually took her life. Fraser makes no attempt to hide the queen's shortcomings, in particular her poor political skills, but focuses on her personal warmth and noble bearing during her final ordeal. It's another fine piece of popular historical biography to add to Fraser's already impressive bibliography. --Wendy Smith

From Publishers Weekly
A child-princess is married off to a husband of limited carnal appetite. Her indiscretions and na‹vet‚, scorned by elderly dowagers, are coupled with charity, joie de vivre and almost divine glamour but her life is cut brutally short. The queen of France's life is rich in emotional resonance, riddled with sexual subplots and personal tragedies, and provides fertile ground for biographers. Fraser's sizable new portrait avoids the saccharine romance of Evelyne Lever's recent Marie Antoinette, balancing empathy for the pleasure-loving queen with an awareness of the inequalities that fed revolution after all, Marie herself was fully conscious of them. Her subject shows no let-them-eat cake arrogance, but is deeply (even surprisingly) compassionate, with a "public reputation for sweetness and mercy" that is only later sullied by vituperative pamphleteers and bitter unrest. She would sometimes be trapped by ingenuousness, and later by a fatal sense of duty. Yet her graceful bearing, acquired under the tutelage of her demanding mother, the empress Maria Teresa, made her an unusually popular princess before she was scapegoated as "Madame Deficit" and much, much worse. The portrait is drawn delicately, with pleasant touches of humor (a long-awaited baby is conceived around the time of Benjamin Franklin's visit: "Perhaps the King found this first contact with the virile New World inspirational"). Fraser's approach is controlled and thoughtful, avoiding the extravagance of Alison Weir's royal biographies. Her queen is neither heroine nor villain, but a young wife and mother who, in her journey into maturity, finds herself caught in a deadly vise. Color and b&w illus. (on sale: Sept. 18) Forecast: Fraser needs no introduction to American audiences. She will come over from England for a five-city tour, and with widespreand favorable reviews, this should have no trouble making the bestseller lists. It's a BOMC, History Book Club, Literary Guild and QPB selection."
Old 05.22.2006, 10:33 PM   #11
noisemachine
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
The book that it is based on is supposedly a very accurate portrayal of her life.

Sounds great. Can't wait to see it!

Old 05.22.2006, 11:16 PM   #12
Bunbury
stalker

Bunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's asses
i wish i would have spawned from the fruit of francis fords loins so i could play visonary too.
Bunbury is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2006, 04:00 AM   #13
Jef Mertens
100%

Jef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's asses
i think the film will focus mainly on the thoughts, feelings and aftermaths of Marie Antoinette as a young girl never quite settled in the rules of the Versailles court. I don't think it's meant as a historical film in the traditional sence of the word.

The music of Aphex Twin, Air, ... is so detached from the era it plays in you get a state of dreamlike footage... anyways

I'm seeing the movie tomorrow as it premieres here in Belgium.
I'll be able to elaborate on it.

can't wait

Old 05.23.2006, 04:29 AM   #14
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Surreal...
Old 05.24.2006, 07:55 PM   #15
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

Kirsten and Sophia at the premiere:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...dunst151vu.jpg
Old 05.25.2006, 03:16 AM   #16
Jef Mertens
100%

saw the film yesterday and am a bit dissapointed.
I wasn't really getting into the character of Marie Antoinette and the film was a bit long lasting 2 h 05 m. It took like 45 minutes before it started getting better. While the trailer suggests a more surreal surrounding with the 80's soundtrack the film itself does less so.
I also thought the cinematography was a bit classic.

rate 6/10

Old 05.25.2006, 03:46 AM   #17
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
tracklist:
1. Gang of Four - Natural's Not In It
2. Dustin O'Halloran - Opus 17
3. Windsor for the Derby - The Melody of a Fallen Tree
4. The Radio Dept. - I Dont Like it Like This
5. Aphex Twin - Jynweythek Ylow
6. Jean-Philippe Rameau - 1ER Menuet pour Les Guirries et les Amazones, 2EME Menuet
7. The Radio Dept. - Pulling Our Weight
8. Air - Il Secondo Giorno Instrumental
9. The Radio Dept. - Keen On Boys
10. Jean-Philippe Rameau - Aux Languets DAppollon
11. Dustin O'Halloran - Opus 23
12. Bow Wow Wow - I Want Candy (Kevin Shields Remix)
13. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Honk Kong Garden
14. Bow Wow Wow - Aphrodisiac
15. Bow Wow Wow - Fools Rush In (Kevin Shields Remix)
16. The Cure - Plainsong
17. New Order - Ceremony
18. Squarepusher - Tommib Help Buss
19. Phoenix - Où Boivent Les Loups
20. Adam and the Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier
21. Aphex Twin - Avril 14th
22. The Strokes - What Ever Happened?
23. Jean-Philippe Rameau - Tristes Apprêts, Pâles Flambeaux
24. Dustin O'Halloran - Opus 36
25. The Cure - All Cats Are Grey
damn,even if the movie won't be awesome the ost surely is...i love devics,and there's even the only strokes'song i really love...
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2006, 09:02 AM   #18
Bunbury
stalker

Bunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssBlaster
Sofia Coppola is overrated. Lost in Translation, while at times comical, was pretty silly (in a bad way). The Virgin Suicides suffers from the same sterile treatment of the subject matter.

She should spend more time at her pops vineyard ordering around illegal immigrants, and less time releasing motion pictures on pseudo-indie labels (i.e. Focus, sorry William Macy/Felicity Huffman).
amen.
Bunbury is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2006, 09:36 AM   #19
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunbury
amen.
I agree with the above.Her movies are almost fastidiously trendy and passionless.Not too bad but far from necessary

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2006, 01:09 PM   #20
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Oh shit. Natural's Not In It is going to be in a movie? People are going to know what Gang of Four is? VU gear in Hot Topic, Go4 songs in pseudo-indie films, where is all my indie cred going? Well, atleast I still have my Sonic Youth and Don Caballero t-shirts .
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth