Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page RIP Robin Williams
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.12.2014, 03:40 PM   #21
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I agree with Soup Nazi, Robin Williams mental speed and capacity were amazing, and you only get to see this either in his stand up or his interviews. The guy was brilliant by every level, and he created the shtick filled persona as "the funny man" but it was so crafted that people actually thought that was who he really was! When you saw him do something more serious like Charlie Rose or Barbara Walters you saw a more intelligent, composed, and sincere human being.

As was mentioned above, of all the "Hollywood" people Robin Williams came across as the most sincerely human, with depth and personality, and we will miss that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Poor?

Have you seen films like Good Will Hunting, Awakenings, One Hour Photo, or Insomnia? Williams may have hammed it up in his family comedies, but that was part of his charm in those films.

Oh, okay.
Don't forget as !@#$%! mentioned The Fisher King and also the very moving What Dreams May Come. Robin Williams had a very serious side as an actor, but people liked the shtick.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2014, 04:13 PM   #22
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I always thought he was a cunt. Short and to the point opinion on this now very dead actor. Get a grave that fits your big ego, piece of shit. End of the argument.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2014, 04:34 PM   #23
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Ground breaking standup comic, and his humor wasn't mean spirited and degrading of women like so many. I remember when he percolated through mass culture, coming along after Steve Martin in the 70's.

Media is reporting he divorced twice and basically had to give up half his wealh each time and was now having money problems, which just seems unbelievable considering his success. (but then, he did buy a USD35 MM ranch, taxes alone would be brutal)

Its such a shame, he made me laugh so much, but he was an emotional mess. A pal I knew in san francisco who was a busboy in an expensive restaurant told me he came in once and just cried through the entire meal, this was years ago, circa 92. He also told me some interesting things about Bill Shatner, having lived next door to him in Marin (lots of buff young men hanging around)
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2014, 04:45 PM   #24
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I always thought he was a cunt. Short and to the point opinion on this now very dead actor. Get a grave that fits your big ego, piece of shit. End of the argument.

Really? Really now.. That is a lot to say about a person who was probably the opposite of all that you just said

Old 08.12.2014, 05:22 PM   #25
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
Ground breaking standup comic, and his humor wasn't mean spirited and degrading of women like so many. I remember when he percolated through mass culture, coming along after Steve Martin in the 70's.

Media is reporting he divorced twice and basically had to give up half his wealh each time and was now having money problems, which just seems unbelievable considering his success. (but then, he did buy a USD35 MM ranch, taxes alone would be brutal)

Its such a shame, he made me laugh so much, but he was an emotional mess. A pal I knew in san francisco who was a busboy in an expensive restaurant told me he came in once and just cried through the entire meal, this was years ago, circa 92. He also told me some interesting things about Bill Shatner, having lived next door to him in Marin (lots of buff young men hanging around)

this doesnt surprise me. the kind of psychological state that people like him would exist in, considering their place in the world - i can see this anecdote being true. also coke = loss of grey matter. his brain would have aged twice as fast and he was relapsing often. what gives it a kind of poignancy is reading interviews and seeing the obvious horror and hell behind his facade, which is one that is very gentle and inquisitive and even decent.

but the fact that he spent 35m on a ranch shows that he simply didnt have his basic sanity intact. you cant really respect or expect anything from a man who uses his wealth that way. before he died he was doing films flat out, and said in interviews it was all for the cash.

so williams got scammed. he was niaeve enough to fall for the marriage scam - TWICE - he was incapable of saving and preserving his fortune. he made a joke about alimony being code for "all your money". well shit yeah it is, and a sentimental romantic dude like you is gonna get taken to the fucking cleaners unless you stand up for yourself. but i dont think he wanted to do that and so ended up with the masochistic depression.

from what ive read today he seemed to be a very kind and sweet man. one who would have been incredibly lonely and ended up becoming a servant drone for women who used him to enrich themselves. obviously this was too much to take, and he was probably very sad and wanting to not be aware of his shame.

of course this is all absolute speculation and i may be completely wrong but whatever noone will think about or remember this soon
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2014, 05:22 PM   #26
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

What a disrespectful twat you are.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2014, 05:24 PM   #27
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
genteels remarks are not as bad a fate than being ignored in life then celebrated for your death by the sentimental celebocracy
Old 08.12.2014, 05:31 PM   #28
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
genteels remarks are not as bad a fate than being ignored in life then celebrated for your death by the sentimental celebocracy

so one of us here is going to be celebrated for their death, you're saying?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2014, 05:33 PM   #29
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

no.
Old 08.12.2014, 05:36 PM   #30
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

its more dignified to be called a cunt by genteel than to kill yourself then to be used by "charities" that make money off our inhumanity towards each others suffering (because we scapegoat and abuse people and need 'professionals' precisely so we dont have to deal with them). because we believe it is the individuals fault and they can magically take on and exorcise the horror of reality itself. thats why we're so nice to people like him (in retrospect) because he failed and thus flattered our vanity

its more dignified to just be dismissed as a cunt than for your legacy to be this totally insincere mass grief performance. people saying "thank you". poor fucking bastard!
Old 08.12.2014, 05:37 PM   #31
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

While the media reaction is part of the morbid cult of celebrity I don't think Robin Williams was ever polluted with that "public idol" role which ruins most celebrities as human beings. He managed to always be himself, flawed, funny, but honest and sincere. His roles interestingly reflected aspects of himself, but again, you'd have to watch him on something like Charlie Rose to find that more serious side.. If you combine a dash of "Cadillac Man" with "Mrs. Doubtfire" sprinkled with some of "The Birdcage" and "The Awakening" and finish it off with "Hook" I think you actually get a glimpse at the real person. In fact, its very interesting, I can't think of very many actors whose roles actually seemed to accurately reflect their personality and experience..

Also my own bias, I literally grew up watching Robin Williams, and his cheesy "family charm" era coincided with my childhood so I may see him in an entirely more romanticized light than either (a) people ten years older than me who know him more for his raunchier 80s persona or (b) people ten years younger than me who probably don't even know who he is

Old 08.12.2014, 05:57 PM   #32
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Fuck off Suchfriends. The guy's nice image was always all about his appeal to what the general populace think is a nice bloke. He was the ultimate Milgram experiment actor. An arsehole.
Old 08.12.2014, 06:06 PM   #33
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Fuck off Suchfriends. The guy's nice image was always all about his appeal to what the general populace think is a nice bloke. He was the ultimate Milgram experiment actor. An arsehole.

Evidence of this arseholery? I know you think I'm just doing the typically American thing and kowtowing to pay fake homage to dead people we otherwise don't give a shit about, BUT, that is not the case with Robin Williams for me. I sincerely liked the guy, and I always found his REAL interviews to be honest, sincere, and thoughtful. True, his comedy more than bordered on annoying, but that is what classclowns feed on, annoyance which yields towards gradual acceptance.

What I don't get is why you are making such a point to criticize the guy? And without one bit of substance at that? You don't have to celebrate the guy, but its an entirely different matter to shit on somebody's grave simply to be a contrarian

Old 08.12.2014, 06:08 PM   #34
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

We don't blow job him. He was made of paper.
Old 08.12.2014, 06:34 PM   #35
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses

Old 08.12.2014, 06:58 PM   #36
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
its more dignified to be called a cunt by genteel than to kill yourself then to be used by "charities" that make money off our inhumanity towards each others suffering (because we scapegoat and abuse people and need 'professionals' precisely so we dont have to deal with them). because we believe it is the individuals fault and they can magically take on and exorcise the horror of reality itself. thats why we're so nice to people like him (in retrospect) because he failed and thus flattered our vanity

its more dignified to just be dismissed as a cunt than for your legacy to be this totally insincere mass grief performance. people saying "thank you". poor fucking bastard!

look, man, don't be jealous, we'll be sad too when you and porco kill yourselves, and we'll remember how you'd post theory papers and he'd post great pictures he'd find on the interwebs and be cranky, and if someone calls you cunts we'll try to kick those people in the huevos even though it will not make an iota of difference to your dead corpses but it will to us.

and i don't know what the fuck you're talking about some suicide flattering our vanity. i mean-- i know what you're saying, i comprehend the meaning of your sentences, and maybe you feel that way, but not everyone is the same as you or fits into this grim vision of grim grimness. if you want to look at flattering vanity, you're using this as an opportunity to theorize: "hey look at me, so clever, i know what everybody else is thinking." that's vanity too. and i'm not stating that this is what you're doing, but see, it can run both ways. everyone can be accused of stupid shit if one is bored enough to take the time and make the accusations.

i do feel sorry for the dead fucker. doubly sorry because he killed himself. and yes, yes, he was often annoying, but he added some value to the lives of other people, even if it was just dressing up and acting as characters for the imagination. same as your testo yonqui which begins with a huge paean to a suicide. people like their imaginary friends to varying degrees. fucking let them.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2014, 09:01 PM   #37
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
and if someone calls you cunts we'll try to kick those people in the huevos even though it will not make an iota of difference to your dead corpses but it will to us.

Well said.

Old 08.13.2014, 01:47 AM   #38
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
Al Pacino does suck.
i cannot stand him; its the same-o, exaggerated b/s every single time. shouting isnt acting.
its a shame because i surely admired him as a kid, like all the acting 'monsters' of his generation. we all did and then somehow, dunno 2 decades ago, he got out of our skin. hard.
was always fearing i 'd feel the same for de niro..hasnt really happened yet.

sadly, it has been almost the same with Williams, just without the hate. when he started out, i was feeling you know..the potential and extreme admiration you have for one's acting, but somehow again on the road, i lost it. i think if it was a notch down, his acting, it would feel more natural.

anyway, wanted to avoid that, but since i had to speak on pacino..
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2014, 01:50 AM   #39
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
i dont know..maybe sometimes it is the overexposure?
i lately fear for losing interest in kevin spacey for example. brrr that feeling!
Hoffman never disappointed though, thats why i think of him as one of the greatest.
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2014, 02:50 AM   #40
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

already killed myself weeks ago, losers

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth