Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page your top 10 current music publications
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.28.2009, 04:05 PM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
by current, i mean, still printing.

This can be magazines, zines, blogs, webzines, etc.. Anything devoted to the exploration of music new and old and sometimes forgotten.

Me:

1. Blastitude (duh, I only reference it like once every 5 posts on here, totally inspring writing, i agree with 80 percent of the reviews, amazing perspective on music, film, culture, etc..)
2. Z Gun (the mag and the blog, the best for grimey rock and roll and punk stuff, the last issue had ceramic hobs, drunks with guns, and amphetamine reptile retrospective, toral radness)
3. ArthurMag (i really hope this mag doesnt go under, theyve been promising on the site that they would eventually be back on newstands, I fucking hope so, its the only midscale magazine worth two shits right now, no offense to the wire and signal to noise which certainly have a good article here and there, but they are too filled up with academic pretentious bore articles that say nothing about the tunes. Arthur writers write in a style that is totally fun and unique, a way to learn about new tunes while stile enjoying yourself. This nag is closest thing we have to a Creem)
4.Detailed Twang (blog with lots of great writing heavy on garage, lo fi psych, 70s pere ubu-esque art rock, etc.. some fun links and mp3's. very awesome)
5. Casette Gods (funny noise/freak/whatever reviews from the people of deathbomb arc, also the chick from awesome wierdo band taiwan deth writes many of the reviews)
6. Apples n Heron (awesome blog run by music journalist s. kobak. guy has AMAZING taste heavy on wierd psych, noise, and siltbreeze but also has no problem writing about Exile on Main Street. He doesn't post often, but his writin is poignant and extremly inspring. I've actually emailed him on more than one occasion for tips on writing.)
7. Head Heritage (i like Julian Cope, for his music but even more so for his writing. The article he wrote on Les Rallizes Denudes is fucking phenomenal. Covers my favorite music; Psychedelic. Whether that be Krautrock, Japrock, Blue Cheer, or metal music doesn't matter, its all psych and its all covered by Cope on that site)
8. Shit-Fi (covers grimy diy punk and metal and rock. only publication i can think of that exclusively covers metal and punk and leaves out the bullshit stuff that something like a big mag like terrorizer would leave in)
9. Dusted (almost as bad as pitchfork in the reviews department, but i like the listed section)
10. Smooth Assailing (only covers Noise and Drone type stuff, but does so in an incredibly accurate and unique surrealist style, I agree with many of his reviews, and its kinda the only way to keep up with the hyper prolific noise scene)

bonus:
Cocaine Blunts (amazing hip hop site that covers hip hop way more underground than (name obscure noisegrindcoreshitfuck band) could ever hope to be. seriously, 75 percent of the tunes on that site i have no idea what they are and they are all RIPPING. cocaine blunts indeed)

yeah that looks about right, covers a wide spectrum of my fave music

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2009, 02:03 AM   #2
dntrecords
children of satan

dntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's asses
should blogs count? anyway,

z-gun rules
arthur rules, too bad it seems to be over again
the wire is pretty cool but most of it is bullshit

--

I'm not trying to plug myself or anything, but it's relevant since you're talking about music publications, I'm starting one myself, called Electric Annihilation. first issue is almost complete. interviews with: thurston moore, henry rollins, emeralds, sun araw, nomen dubium, wet hair, and others. scene reports, and other writings. absolutely no reviews..those are bullshit anyway usually. it's over-sized newsprint, all tabloid style, in the vein of old 70s/80s punk/hc fanzines like search & destroy, forced exposure, matter, flipside, etc. printing of 1,000 copies b&w

the interview with thurston was amazing, lasted for about 45 minutes. such a nice guy
dntrecords is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2009, 03:38 PM   #3
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
you send me a copy id be glaf to read : )

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2009, 08:15 PM   #4
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
entertainment weekly
rolling stone
spin
alternative press
guitar world
circus
the st. pete times weekend section
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth