Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The 14th Annual Olympia Experimental Music Festival
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.02.2008, 12:33 AM   #1
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Thursday, June 26th through Sunday June 29th

the Olympia Strange Music Society is proud to present
it's annual DIY gathering of eclectic & fringe audio performers to the capital city of Washington State:

THE 14TH ANNUAL OLYMPIA EXPERIMENTAL MUSIC FESTIVAL

What began in 1995 as an almost spontaneous gathering initiated by emails between like-minded musicians pushing the boundaries of their art has exploded into a festival of international renown and rare every year dependability.

A big part of that dependability is that while the festival grows, it knows how to keep things in perspective. While 2008's line-up features some bigger names than previous years, there are just as many artists who have not played this big of a show before. The event organizers, staff, sound-people, and poster artists continue to donate their services entirely for free to keep the costs to the public low, and the proceeds entirely in the hands of the musicians traveling from out of town to play. This is a rare event where you are likely to see the artists from one night in the audience at the next, listening and watching with rapt attention.

Some of the highlights include:

A reunion of internationally acclaimed audio-collagist, recording engineer, and Sub Pop Records artist Steve Fisk with Evergreen State College Head of Electronic Media Peter Randlette. Steve and Peter, both TESC alums themselves, have literally not played live together in decades, making this a NW and Olympia music event simply not to be missed!

One of the most legendary female experimental musicians from the Northwest, Seattle based global multi-instrumentalist Amy Denio! Other top female experimenters such as Oakland's Darwinsbitch,
Olympia's own KnotPineBox, and Seattle's Goat Girl will also be playing, making this an unusually coed festival for this type(s) of music.

Coming all the way across the country from Portland, Maine is everybody's favorite self-destructive fish-impersonator Crank Sturgeon! This gent freely treads the line between performance art, noise-music, and high comedy with frantic renderings of creativity that have to be experienced to be believed. Yet another act trekking clear across the country just to play this festival is Iowa City's Make Believe Bombs to Blow Up Make Believe Worlds who promises an equally mind-melting set of post-punk electronics.

Here is the full line-up for all four days!:

Thursday 6/26/08 (at the Eagles Hall Basement, 805 4th AVE)

Midwife (Everett, WA)
Foque Mopus (Olympia, WA)
Mangled Bohemians (Portland, OR)
Dead White (Olympia, WA)
Your Drugs My Money (Portland, Los Angeles, Fiji)
Darwinsbitch (Oakland, CA)
Hobby Hobby (Olympia, WA)

Friday 6/27/08 (at the Midnight Sun, 113 N Columbia ST)

Amy Denio (Seattle, WA)
Make Believe Bombs to Blow Up Make Believe Worlds (Iowa City, IA)
Bill Horist (Seattle, WA)
Red Squirrels (Seattle, WA)
Ben L. Robertson and Gabe Will (Seattle/Olympia, WA)
Hydrogen Pellets (San Francisco, CA)
Hobby Knife (Eugene, OR)

Saturday 6/28/08 (at the Eagles Hall Basement, 805 4th AVE)

Steve Fisk & Peter Randlette (Seattle/Olympia WA)
Crank Sturgeon (Portland, ME)
Dead Air Fresheners (Portland, OR/Olympia/Seattle/Tacoma, WA)
Dendrites (Portland, OR)
KnotPineBox (Olympia, WA)
L.A. Lungs (Tacoma, WA)
Big Tom the Lithuanian (Olympia, WA)

Sunday 6/29/08 1 PM
(at the historic Capitol Theater, 206 5th AVE SE)

Eyes and Ears Pacific Vortex:
an afternoon matinee of experimental media art and music curated by Eric Ostrowski of Seattle and Carl Diehl of Portland that features films, videos and live performances. The artists included in this program provoke previously imperceptible art forms from malfunctioning apparatuses, cultural detritus, and other residual media. From live video improvisations to calculated re-animation, from dada-mined archives to wormhole theories of collage this event celebrates anomalous audio-visual pursuits.

Bands – Blood Clot (Olympia, WA), Chaostic Magic (Seattle, WA)

Featured Artists – Devon Damonte, Jon Behrens, Doug Lane, Bridget Irish, LoVid, noteNdo, Daniel Heila, Ryan T. Dunn, JiRCs, Mack Mcfarland, Jesse England

Sunday 6/29/08 (at the Eagles Hall Basement,
805 4th AVE)

Paintings for Animals (Seattle, WA)
Goatgirl/Queen Shmooquan (Seattle, WA)
Ô Paon/Geneviève Castrée (Quebec, Canada)
Soup Purse (Portland, OR)
Beat Box Fred (Olympia, WA)
Zdrastvootie (Portland, OR)
Forrest Friends (Seattle, WA)

Full Festival Passes are $20, Individual Day Passes are $7, except for Sunday 6/29/08 which is $8 (two shows!)

This year's festival is once again curated by KAOS FM dj Domenica Clark who wowed the NW with her presentation of the phenomenal 13th fest. Domenica says with enthusiasm about this year's proceedings:

"I am especially excited about this year because there is a great variety of different experimental music, mostly from regional artists, with an emphasis on artists from Olympia, Seattle, Portland and beyond. I picked the artists I thought that are making the most interesting, out-there, abstract sounds of the highest quality. Also, just like last year, we have a high percentage of female musicians, which is always delightful to have in a music festival of this kind."

Domenica is once again assisted by the festival's founder L. Jim McAdams
who booked all of the artists for the Saturday night show and will be making his 14th consecutive appearance as a musician at the fest as well (though he won't say in what group!) Jim had this to say of this newest incarnation of his haphazard creation from 1995:

"Whoa - what a line-up this year! What I love about this festival the most is that it works on two levels. It's a celebration for fans of the adventurous and avant garde music forms, but it's also there for those who want to check out experimental music for the first time. We welcome the curious and provide a comfortable environment to be set free from the boxes that mainstream music as product tries so hard to shove us all into."

This year's festival is dedicated to the memory of Michael Griffen of Noggin, one of the very greatest performers of our history, who passed on January 7th, 2008.

Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2008, 09:47 AM   #2
sarramkrop

[quote=Dead-Air]

805 4th AVE)

[quote/]

I'd go to this even if it was only for the above name, which is a recent favourite.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2008, 12:21 AM   #3
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=sarramkrop]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air

805 4th AVE)

[quote/]

I'd go to this even if it was only for the above name, which is a recent favourite.

You'll have to listen to my radio show the day of the festival then, as I'm having both him and Crank Sturgeon on to each do their own set and then do one together.

Old 06.20.2008, 11:14 PM   #4
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

a couple minor line-up changes, but otherwise happening and happening very soon now!
Old 06.26.2008, 02:18 AM   #5
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

The Festival Begins Tomorrow, Thursday, June 26th, 2008!
Old 07.04.2008, 05:24 PM   #6
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

A few photos...

L.A. Lungs

KnotPineBox

KnotPineBox

More to come...
Old 07.05.2008, 08:17 PM   #7
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

a bit of Crank Sturgeon's set on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLWhbUHKg8o
Old 07.06.2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Crank Sturgeon

Crank Sturgeon

Dead Air Fresheners
Old 07.08.2008, 06:34 PM   #9
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
The first time I met Todd/Soup Purse he explained to me that his name is in reference to a vision he has of people fetishizing purses with soup in them. I've seen him play several times and he plays some pretty out there music, he was on one of the recent Smegma collab LPs, the Jazkammer one I think. He has an awesome cell phone flask too-- "here, answer my phone"

A few people including Todd played a huge BBQ in Vancouver over this weekend, I heard Crank was especially good!
Old 07.08.2008, 10:43 PM   #10
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden child
The first time I met Todd/Soup Purse he explained to me that his name is in reference to a vision he has of people fetishizing purses with soup in them. I've seen him play several times and he plays some pretty out there music, he was on one of the recent Smegma collab LPs, the Jazkammer one I think. He has an awesome cell phone flask too-- "here, answer my phone"

A few people including Todd played a huge BBQ in Vancouver over this weekend, I heard Crank was especially good!

I was at that show too, actually, but it wasn't a BBQ. Some of the people playing may have BBQed before hand, but the show didn't start till long after that would have happened. I have photos of the show up on my Flickr page and more coming. Todd didn't play either, though he was there. Crank played, and he and Crank played on my radio show the next morning (the show can still be downloaded from the KPSU archive too) The venue, Westside Welding and Machine is really fucking incredible, especially since it's in Vancouver!

Actually, when I interviewed Todd on my radio show the first time I had him on he heavily implied that the performance name was essentially slang for a vagina.
Old 07.20.2008, 02:04 AM   #11
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
hah, this was def a BBQ, it was at the shack too, Crank didn't play I just heard there that he was really on at the Oly Fest.

referring to THIS monstrosity, you should have come,,, todd ruuuled
080705 (2008-July-5th) saturday: NoiseBBQ08
2:30 Crib Slut (VanWA)
2:35 Spider Tombs (VanWA)
2:45 (co)sine (VanWA)
3:05 PRISONFOOD/~dyna*girl (Seattle,WA)
3:25 Griefer (BC,Canada)
3:50 Robotic Daly (pdx)
4:05 Hobby Knife (Eugene,OR)
4:20 iDied (Eugene,OR)
4:45 Burning Indian (BC,Canada/pdx)
5:15 Jagged Meat (pdx)
5:20 Abusive Delay (pdx)
5:50 Froghat & Sofaqueen (BC,Canada)
6:01 Barracks of Afghanistan (Salem,OR)
6:08 [view] (Springfield,OR)
6:25 Redglaer (pdx/NYC)
7:00 XXXtinct (pdx)
7:35 Toilet Humor (pdx)
7:45 Soup Purse (pdx)
8:10 Disjunct (pdx)
8:35 Peter J Woods (Milwaukee,WI)
-----Domestic Violence----- (pdx)
9:10 Flatgray (BC,Canada)
9:20 Warning Broken Machine (Eugene,OR)
9:40 Eraritjaritjaka (pdx)
9:55 Drunk Bed David (Salem,OR)
10:05 Rusalka (BC,Canada)
10:25 Novasak (Denver,CO)
10:40 Taskmaster w/Frozen Body (BC,Canada/pdx)
11:05 Pete Swans (pdx)
11:25 Xdugef (LA)
12:00 The Sunken (KelsoWA)
(booked by Tyler)

Quote:
Actually, when I interviewed Todd on my radio show the first time I had him on he heavily implied that the performance name was essentially slang for a vagina.

yeah, im sure it takes on many meanings, the time im referring to would have been about 3 years ago
Old 07.20.2008, 01:51 PM   #12
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden child
hah, this was def a BBQ, it was at the shack too, Crank didn't play I just heard there that he was really on at the Oly Fest.

referring to THIS monstrosity, you should have come,,, todd ruuuled
080705 (2008-July-5th) saturday: NoiseBBQ08
2:30 Crib Slut (VanWA)
2:35 Spider Tombs (VanWA)
2:45 (co)sine (VanWA)
3:05 PRISONFOOD/~dyna*girl (Seattle,WA)
3:25 Griefer (BC,Canada)
3:50 Robotic Daly (pdx)
4:05 Hobby Knife (Eugene,OR)
4:20 iDied (Eugene,OR)
4:45 Burning Indian (BC,Canada/pdx)
5:15 Jagged Meat (pdx)
5:20 Abusive Delay (pdx)
5:50 Froghat & Sofaqueen (BC,Canada)
6:01 Barracks of Afghanistan (Salem,OR)
6:08 [view] (Springfield,OR)
6:25 Redglaer (pdx/NYC)
7:00 XXXtinct (pdx)
7:35 Toilet Humor (pdx)
7:45 Soup Purse (pdx)
8:10 Disjunct (pdx)
8:35 Peter J Woods (Milwaukee,WI)
-----Domestic Violence----- (pdx)
9:10 Flatgray (BC,Canada)
9:20 Warning Broken Machine (Eugene,OR)
9:40 Eraritjaritjaka (pdx)
9:55 Drunk Bed David (Salem,OR)
10:05 Rusalka (BC,Canada)
10:25 Novasak (Denver,CO)
10:40 Taskmaster w/Frozen Body (BC,Canada/pdx)
11:05 Pete Swans (pdx)
11:25 Xdugef (LA)
12:00 The Sunken (KelsoWA)
(booked by Tyler)

yeah, im sure it takes on many meanings, the time im referring to would have been about 3 years ago

Oh yeah, I knew about that. It was a week later than the fest though, so that's why I was confused when you said it was the same weekend. I was at home being a family man of course.
Old 07.03.2014, 08:29 AM   #13
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Last weekend was the 20th Olympia Music Festival......reads like it was the best one yet!
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2014, 03:05 PM   #14
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
I went to night one

line up was

Elliott Sharp (Solo & w/ Joe Trump) (NYC)
Peter Randlette (Olympia)
Dead Air Fresheners w/ Jennifer Robin (Portland, Olympia, Seattle)
KnotPineBox (Olympia)
J.D. Helwig (Portland)
Big Tom the Lithuanian (Olympia)

all in all a good night, but I was there for E#
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2014, 09:47 PM   #15
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
all in all a good night, but I was there for E#

So jealous you got to attend at least one night. Ricardo has really worked this in to one heck of a festival. Here is an interview before the festival started: http://www.northwestmilitary.com/mus...usic-Festival/

Night Two - July 28, 2014
IMPULSIVE MACHINATIONS 1

IMPULSIVE MACHINATIONS 2
Old 07.06.2014, 08:43 AM   #16
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Malaise.
Old 07.12.2014, 08:40 AM   #17
Bytor Peltor
Banned

20th Annual Olympia Experimental Music Festival audio recap hosted by Ricardo Wang.

Ricardo tweeted this out late last night. I've only listened to the first ten minutes, but there are live performances from the festival two weeks ago. Also, some of the performers provided him with music that wasn't performed at the festival. Anyway, I plan to give this a proper listening when my time allows.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth