Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page let’s talk about felt
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.21.2019, 02:09 AM   #1
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
autumn is rolling in, antipodes are aglow, felt are the greatest

discuss your feelings about felt, who are the greatest

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2019, 08:08 PM   #2
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
you people are tasteless fkn swine

Old 03.23.2019, 09:15 PM   #3
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I've been a fan since 1985 when I first found out about them. Lawrence is a genius and while I think their work with Maurice Deebank is probably their finest because of his excellent guitar work, I love everything they ever did and I have listened to them consistently all these years. Well, maybe everything except those two loungy "jazz" albums where all Lawrence did was come up with the titles...

Unbelievable songwriting, killer lyrics, and some of the finest musicians involved in the project. quite possibly one of my favorite bands of all time. There's a documentary about Lawrence that I need to see. He is quite a character and his story definitely needed telling..
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2019, 09:26 AM   #4
the end of the ugly

I don't know what it is, I just go through kicks with them where nothing else comes close for a little while.

totally agree on the deebank stuff, he might be the most breathtakingly fluid guitarist I've ever heard, and though I loved duffy with them it was never the same after. having said that, ignite the seven cannons is the apex to me, with both of them just trading lines endlessly over seriously one of the finest ever collections of pop songs I've ever heard (and guthrie covering them in total muck is the biggest sweetener)

also need to get on the lawrence documentary, seems like something of a tragic case in that it really makes no sense how this band weren't as big as like the smiths, maybe that their songwriting was exponentially knottier/more advanced, it's a shame but it makes for such an incredible lineage of records.

felt are just the greatest

Old 03.24.2019, 10:03 AM   #5
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
For favorites, I'm a Splendour Of Fear person (I think). Post Maurice, Poem Of The River gets the most mileage for me, and I think I actually like their final album more than most people seem to.
Also, how weird and cool is "Space Blues?"

the last show I did with one of my groups, we actually covered the Final Resting of the Ark.
https://youtu.be/lIPhL6yrk3E
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2019, 03:50 AM   #6
the end of the ugly

weirdly never got into splendour of fear personally, preached in new england is obviously an all time high point but outside of that it seems a bit morose/plodding for me. pictorial jackson review is a masterpiece to me, the whole format of pure pop flipping into wankery is just so bizarre, such a great approach/classic Lawrence. space blues is obviously stunning too. such a deep discography.

I feel like that whole jangle sound is played out, and in itself it’s reductive to the felt to that, but when it’s done properly (another good example being the wake’s ‘here comes everybody’ lp and the following ep) it’s just incomparable stuff, fey sure but so rich

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth