Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page death grips
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.26.2012, 08:21 AM   #61
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
^^^^
Quote:
My very good friend passed away, and that made its way into who I was when I was making the album. It was hard for me to wrap my head around; it got me thinking about death and living a lot. Something like that is so big that you almost don't want to approach it directly. So the album process started out with a tragedy, and I ended up with a record about wanting to live.

In my head, the record is about dealing with the idea that you are the problem and everything else isn't. That's the "Cancer for Cure". We have that destruction in us, whether we run with it or not. I have a tendency to dip my foot in self-destructive behavior. I struggle with that, but it's also a world perspective. There's a segment of the world that looks at the average individual like me and you as the problem-- something to be solved, an annoyance or a blight on an otherwise potentially perfect world. All the mechanisms and manifestations of that line of thought are in all the shit that's going on right now. This is a fight record. Like, "Goddamn it. Enough is fuckin' enough.

on my third listen, this is definitely a fight record and my fav project of the year so far as well. and there is another album he fully produced for Killer Mike coming out in May.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2012, 08:35 AM   #62
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Can that guy who never shuts up about insane clown posse fuck off from all hiphop threads, and probably all threads in general please? Thanks.

Just heard Death Grips, like it more that I expected as I don't like any of Zach Hill's previous things that I've heard, and I imagined from what I read that Death Grips would sound like a cross bewteen Anticon and Dalek, and in a way they do, but they don't suck like Anticon and they aren't boring like Dalek. The dude's rapping style reminds me more of Sensational than any of those (mostly awful) shouty rappers that guy was going on about.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2012, 12:57 PM   #63
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels

Just heard Death Grips, like it more that I expected as I don't like any of Zach Hill's previous things that I've heard, and I imagined from what I read that Death Grips would sound like a cross bewteen Anticon and Dalek, and in a way they do, but they don't suck like Anticon and they aren't boring like Dalek. The dude's rapping style reminds me more of Sensational than any of those (mostly awful) shouty rappers that guy was going on about.

Agreed on the Anticon/Dalek comments.I do like some stuff Dalek did,but overall it drags on and he's tedious. I don't understand why anyone would consider shit post-rock with beats and hip hop posturing like Clouddead anything other than a hipster, semi-arsed take on a musical form with a precise, yet malleable in the right hands, formula. I had only heard about the Zach Hill connection before I've listened to Death Grips, and if anything it made me suspicious because the person who was enthusing about them was making a big fuss about them sampling Black Flag. I'm no hip hop expert, but I like my hip hop when it stands proud and less manipulated by anyone who desperately wants to attach a ''live element'' to it. In this case I think it's mostly successful, even though I have some reservations about certain samples and atmospheres.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2012, 03:20 PM   #64
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
"Shit post-rock with beats" in cLOUDDEAD?
"Hip hop posturing"? With people like doseone in the band?
I'm pretty puzzled.
What's the "precise, yet malleable in the right hands, formula" of hip hop?
Just to make sure I'm not missing the point.
The new El-P is great, a bit "sad" somehow, but damn...

edit: I sound like an asshole in this post, but that's unintentional, haha. Still, assholish, eh.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2012, 03:46 PM   #65
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
"Shit post-rock with beats" in cLOUDDEAD?
"Hip hop posturing"? With people like doseone in the band?
I'm pretty puzzled.
What's the "precise, yet malleable in the right hands, formula" of hip hop?
Just to make sure I'm not missing the point.
The new El-P is great, a bit "sad" somehow, but damn...

edit: I sound like an asshole in this post, but that's unintentional, haha. Still, assholish, eh.

You don't sound like an asshole. You sound like someone who can't get over post-rock and doesn't like hip hop.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2012, 03:54 PM   #66
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
You don't sound like an asshole. You sound like someone who can't get over post-rock and doesn't like hip hop.

You're right, you're the one sounding like an asshole.
Have fun not actually replying.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2012, 11:26 AM   #67
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Can that guy who never shuts up about insane clown posse fuck off from all hiphop threads, and probably all threads in general please? Thanks.

FYI, I was responding to nikk for the majority of this thread, only his posts were deleted so it currently looks as if I were spamming.

Secondly, if you legitimately think that Death Grips has anything whatsoever on genre legends like Busta, and Onyx... then you are the one who needs to reconsider your own sense of worth before posting your opinions about hip-hop. This board is a spam-ridden wasteland, feel lucky that ANY ONE still posts here at all.

Oh yeah, and...

ps: death grips still sucks, i'd much rather listen to dalek.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2012, 12:04 PM   #68
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
ICP shat on Eminem. that alone gives them a special place in my heart.
Old 05.03.2012, 12:22 PM   #69
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
ICP are actually a lot more respected in the rap-game than most know.

Ice Cube, Naughty By Nature, Redman + Method Man, Too $hort, Rob Base, Ying Yang Twins, Spice 1, Mack 10, Brotha Lynch Hung, Li'l Jon, Scarface, Warren G, Above The Law, Busta Rhymes, Li'l Wyte, and Bubba Sparxxx have all performed at the Gathering of the Juggalos, and the clowns have done tracks with the likes of Three 6, O.D.B., Snoop Dogg, Bushwick Bill, MC Breed, etc.

Their upcoming album even has a version that includes a bonus disc which features a 64 minute track without any hooks/chorus (non-stop hoe flow). I'm pretty sure that's a hip-hop first, and certainly isn't without any artistic merit.

But I don't wanna sidetrack this thread too much. Seriously.
Old 05.03.2012, 12:45 PM   #70
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I'll gladly take ICP over this Death Grips trash.
Old 05.03.2012, 12:50 PM   #71
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Death Grips isn't that great but neither is ICP so you're all complete retards.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2012, 12:53 PM   #72
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Hayden, in all seriousness what ICP albums have you heard? (Not trolling, I'm genuinely curious)
Old 05.03.2012, 01:15 PM   #73
louder
invito al cielo

you guys need to know Clipse is really where it's at.

can't wait for the No Malice tape.
http://www.power1051fm.com/pages/ona...449330/1627619
(about 15:55 - spits a gawdly freestyle )

Old 05.03.2012, 01:27 PM   #74
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Honestly, ICP aren't even the most talented emcees on their own label. That honor belongs to Twiztid. But that wasn't my point. I just find it silly how so many can praise an act like Death Grips, yet completely dismiss anything related to Juggalos.

I was at a party at my friend's apartment once, and he was playing some Odd Future. A few tracks in, this black kid mockingly exclaimed, "Man, this shit sounds like Twiztid-Lite!" I don't agree exactly, but it cracked me up nonetheless.
Old 05.03.2012, 01:33 PM   #75
louder
invito al cielo

Death Grips are overhyped the same way Odd Future were (to a lesser extent, obviously). but at least OF had some hot bars in the beginning.
Old 05.03.2012, 01:38 PM   #76
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

^ Agreed.

I wish spaceghostpurrp blew up more. I thought he was REALLY cool.
Maybe on his next release?

Thanks for making me aware of him, Hayden.
Old 05.03.2012, 01:43 PM   #77
louder
invito al cielo

SGP is gonna release an album with remastered old songs and a few new songs this summer. off that lo-fi tip, i guess. and yeah he's fresh.
Old 05.03.2012, 01:43 PM   #78
noisereductions
invito al cielo

to be honest, I never got into that SpaceGhostPurp tape either. I felt like i wanted to though. Like I liked the idea more than the finished product. The lo lo lo-fi might've killed it for me though. I'd throw it on and end up wanting to hear 3-6 instead.

Clipse always kills it. I'm not sure what they have to do with any of tihs though. Haha.

but yeah. Death Grips suck.
Old 05.03.2012, 01:45 PM   #79
louder
invito al cielo

haha idk, people just started talking about ICP outta nowhere, so i brought up my fav duo.
Old 05.03.2012, 01:48 PM   #80
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
haha idk, people just started talking about ICP outta nowhere, so i brought up my fav duo.

oh lol... the ICP shit came from an argument earlier in the thread, but half the argument got deleted.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth