Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Beyonce without Auto-Tune
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.23.2009, 06:33 PM   #61
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
my point is, a random search of the internet could produce 1,000's of homely people, singing. law of averages even states that some will sing very well.

despite that, a HUGE deal was made out of it on the news here (and in UK as well, I assume) about how damned inspirational it is that someone that really isn't all that pretty can sing.

it was made out to be the most special thing since jesus wept (until the next day, when everyone had second thoughts and decided that some 12 y/o was better).

I don't discount that she can "really" sing, but what exactly about that performance so singularly special?

I find it hard to believe that the entire incident wasn't just a schtick to garner interest in the show.

I'm hoping yr the one with the answers.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2009, 06:38 PM   #62
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
It's not the homely-to-talent ratio. For god's sake, we all know less than attractive people can sing sometimes. In the 70s it was practically a requirement that you be hideously ugly to be a successful rock band.

It's the eyebrow thing. People with big eyebrows are usually only good at casting spells, and all you need for that in the vocal sense is the ability to do some low-level chanting.

Don't you know anything?
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2009, 06:43 PM   #63
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Don't you know anything?

when it comes to humans, I'm still learning.

it's just that in a conversation of what's "real or not" in music, her performance strikes me as being very "unreal".

disclaimer for humans #1: unreal is good. I prefer it. I just don't like when it's held up to be otherwise.
disclaimer for humans #2: I'm not even really talking about porky saying it's "real", I mean the mega-hype surrounding her.
disclaimer for humans #3: see above disclaimers.
Old 04.23.2009, 06:56 PM   #64
sarramkrop

Yeah, please let's forget about that woman. It was just some random example that was there because it was big news over here, somehow, and geneeraly the English shout it out loud when one of their own has done something 'right' (wait till you get T&B or Glice 's scorn about me posting this).

Anyway, it just seems ridiculous that someone would make it a big deal to find out a pop star is not up to scratch with their singing, considering that Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo or Kim Gordon aren't good singers either. That's all.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2009, 07:02 PM   #65
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

^^^ right, I'm totally with you. this lady just baffles me.

next question: what about performers who strap iPods to their guitars?

a) to be expected.
b) rage.
c) waffle back and forth between.

I want to click "a" but I keep hitting "c" instead.
Old 04.23.2009, 07:05 PM   #66
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
^^^ right, I'm totally with you. this lady just baffles me.

next question: what about performers who strap iPods to their guitars?

a) to be expected.
b) rage.
c) waffle back and forth between.

I want to click "a" but I keep hitting "c" instead.

For as long as you make sure that you do it 'well', I suppose it's alright. It does sound like a SHIT, TASTELESS idea, though.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2009, 07:23 PM   #67
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone who gives a stuff about a thing like this needs to fish their cumstained teddy bear out of the skip, look it firmly in the eye and say "YOU DONT CONTROL ME ANYMORE"

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2009, 07:31 PM   #68
Kloriel
expwy. to yr skull

Kloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's asses
allocates accumulated forest points into low level chanting
Kloriel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2009, 08:29 PM   #69
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I'd be quicker to jump to the defence of Beyonce if she herself wasn't so keen to play the 'authenticity' card. Pop stars should be judged as pop stars, but when a pop star tries to elevate themselves as being somehow 'better' than that, then they're fair game for criticism if their boasts prove hollow, I suppose.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2009, 08:36 PM   #70
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
No way is that for real. The chorus sounds even more robotic than auto-tune. I like this song actually.

As for the Jonas boys. The youngest is the only one who is actually hot (minus the hair). Pretty sure he's the only one who is not legal though.
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2009, 08:44 PM   #71
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
It is supposedly faked. Either way it shouldn't matter. My only point is that RnB does like to present itself as being a bit of a champion of authenticity, so it's probably more ripe for criticism than those genres that don't. It's like when Rap artists make some great claim about being from 'the street' and then get ridiculed if the reality doesn't quite correspond with the image. They create the image, basically, so more fool them.
Old 04.23.2009, 09:55 PM   #72
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I think this thread misses the point of all all points entirely. This continuos teasing between 'for real' and 'not for real' is so obsolete and rock-generated it's painful to witness in all its backward narrow-mindedness. Like it even fucking matters someone can sing in tune. Hypocrites.
The hipster voice of reason has arrived. Everyone, celebrate this different opinion, for it is unlike those of which we have expressed.
Old 04.24.2009, 09:34 AM   #73
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I've stopped caring about whatever this thread is about, but - This 'homely' person - are we actually talking about Alexandra Burke?

Because, at the risk of sounding a bit like an internet perv (Hello Rob), she's not bad looking at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2009, 09:45 AM   #74
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Alexandra burke is indeed unutterably sexy. Albeit in a looking down at her bum while standing behind her in the queue at KFC kind of a way (which obviously is a great way to find anyone sexy)
Old 04.24.2009, 09:48 AM   #75
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
she's not bad looking at all.

with pencil-thin eyebrows like those, I'd be shocked if she could manage a simple cantrip.
Old 04.24.2009, 10:01 AM   #76
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

can you smell it?
Old 04.24.2009, 08:14 PM   #77
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
^^^

Hoax or not, she actually didn't sound too bad til the chorus hit (and I mean that in the most forceful way)...almost postmodern.

The only band/artists who should be allowed to use auto-tune are Daft Punk, since they use it creatively.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth