Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Fans of SD early-mid 90s bands, this is a must!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.09.2006, 05:39 PM   #1
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
I grew up in SD for a good part of my life and there was only one or two known all age venues: soma and a college(SDSU's Backdoor or UCSD's Che Cafe). So alot of bigger bands did not come to SD to play or just played clubs, which left alot of kids my age pretty pissed off and left with our own devices.

The radio station 91X had started a show called "Loudspeaker" hosted by Lou and it was on at midnights on Sundays for a couple of hours. This really introduced me to SD's local scene.

Anyways, Loudspeaker have been doing these "special" segments where they take a particular band and for 15 minutes playing music by the band and talking about the band's background and influence on the scene:

http://www.datedandjaded.com

They just started it, but so far they got aMiniature(John Lee now has a band called MirrorAmerica out of Chicago), Heavy Vegetable(Rob Crow of Pinback's very first band), and some others.

If you were ever into SD's music scene and was interested how the scene was during that time, this show is so excellent I cannot tell you how incredible it is for me to relive these moments.

Anyways, I know there are some fans of Jehu, Heroin, Antioch Arrow and such, but there are some bands that you may not have ever heard of that may spark a new interest if you are ever interested in the scene.

Enjoy!
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth