Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page is this the end of Gorillaz?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.06.2006, 03:24 PM   #1
startur
bad moon rising

startur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's asses
wouldn't that be a shame

http://uk.news.launch.yahoo.com/dyna...ml&e=l_news_dm

Gorillaz 'to split'
(Thursday April 06, 2006 03:44 PM)

Damon Albarn has claimed Gorillaz are on the brink of splitting, as the band draw to the close of their series of shows in New York.

Albarn, the co-creator of the animated hip-pop supergroup, has suggested their second album, "Demon Days", could be the last, questioning how the group will top it.

Speaking after Gorillaz had played the fourth of their five dates at the Harlem Apollo, Albarn commented: "At the moment we're like, that's probably the last album we make.

"I don't think we could make a better album than 'Demon Days' really, for what this is and how it works."

However, Albarn was less than certain about the future. He told the BBC: "Last night we thought 'Surely this isn't the end', and I don't know we're saying it's the end again, but it's quite a hip-hop thing to retire and come back you know."

Gorillaz play the final night of their star-studded New York City series of shows this evening.
startur is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 03:28 PM   #2
Soundtrax
bad moon rising

Soundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's asses
agh, its just... well i dont know, they had some good songs i would say but i have a feeling that they just want to get more popular by trying to make us think they are splitting dont know why this feeling
Old 04.06.2006, 03:39 PM   #3
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
we can only hope that it will be thend of gorilaz but sadly i doubt it will be.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 03:46 PM   #4
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
I dont get the piont of making a animtated band.
Old 04.06.2006, 03:51 PM   #5
Signpost
stalker

Signpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's asses
I don't care. They can do it if they want to.
Old 04.06.2006, 04:28 PM   #6
Soundtrax
bad moon rising

Soundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellouteater
I dont get the piont of making a animtated band.

its innovative and besides its better than showing your face and spread your legs on every single video like kylie minogue... the bands that dont show their faces in their videos, dont get much attention when they are walking on the streets, and they dont get much attention in tabloids, so i support every band that does not show their faces on videos
Old 04.06.2006, 04:31 PM   #7
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrax
its innovative and besides its better than showing your face and spread your legs on every single video like kylie minogue... the bands that dont show their faces in their videos, dont get much attention when they are walking on the streets, and they dont get much attention in tabloids, so i support every band that does not show their faces on videos

Yeah, That makes sense. I never thought about that, but it makes the music less interesting to me because it seems less personal and you dont get to know anything about the musicain.
Old 04.06.2006, 06:03 PM   #8
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I like Gorillaz. I hope Del Tha Funkee Homosapien continues his solo career if they break up
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 06:50 PM   #9
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, this reeks of hype

i sure hope they "break up", they would go with a winner of an album, though
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 08:07 PM   #10
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I like the Gorillaz first album, haven't heard all of thier second, but I like what I've heard. I'm a big Blur fan too. The thing about the animated thing that a lot of people didn't seem to get is that its making fun of boy bands and how they are "created" by the music industry, its also a joke on pop music in general, how its marketed. Don't understand how so many missed the joke? The joke part of it is sort of over now, and its like they're just a band, and its now about putting out good music, and not so much about using the band to poke fun of pop music.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 08:38 PM   #11
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

RIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard sucka
I FUCKING PRAY THEY BREAK UP
assholes
shit
http://www.myspace.com/thefloridaorangebirds
MY FUCKING BAND
RIPfrey05 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 08:39 PM   #12
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

RIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard sucka
actually.. i owned their first album, i loved it when i was like 12!
good stuff for 12 year olds.
http://www.myspace.com/thefloridaorangebirds
MY FUCKING BAND
RIPfrey05 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 09:31 PM   #13
thecockerontherock
empty page

Location: Norco,California smack dab in the middle of a two bit "make your town look like Irvine"face-lift kit
thecockerontherock has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
The Gorillaz biggest triumph is that they set out to do something similar to the Residents...Only difference is the Gorillaz got rich doing it in 3 years, whereas the Residents are still barely scraping by financially...They still give their audience their money's worth hands down, who knows, maybe it will shed some light on bands who's personnel completely avoid the spotlight by hiding behind personnas, through animation and/or costumes...

If they break up, doesn't matter, they weren't so much a band as they were a concept...
thecockerontherock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 10:19 PM   #14
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Blur was shit.
Gorrilaz were slightly better.
Maybe the next group won't suck.
Old 04.06.2006, 10:41 PM   #15
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Blur was shit.
Gorrilaz were slightly better.
Maybe the next group won't suck.

i couldn't agree more, hopefully next band won't have damon albarn at all, maybe he can be a puppet and someone else can sing for him...but then again, i can't stand even the look of him so...

so what's dangermouse doing next?
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 11:00 PM   #16
amyvega
bad moon rising

amyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's asses
say what you will about damon, but i appreciate the fact that he chooses to work with interesting collaborators: de la soul instead of eminem, martina topley bird instead of pink or avril lavigne, mf doom instead of 50 cent, bootie brown instead of snoop dogg, etc etc. (i'm not even going to bring up shaun ryder, god forbid)

i agree it's not groundbreaking, but considering the kind of music it is and how much it sells, 12 year olds could be listening to a lot worse
amyvega is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 07:14 AM   #17
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
so what's dangermouse doing next?

I don't know yet. Whatever it is it will inevitably be funky fresh.
Old 04.07.2006, 07:20 AM   #18
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyvega
say what you will about damon, but i appreciate the fact that he chooses to work with interesting collaborators: de la soul instead of eminem, martina topley bird instead of pink or avril lavigne, mf doom instead of 50 cent, bootie brown instead of snoop dogg, etc etc. (i'm not even going to bring up shaun ryder, god forbid)

i agree it's not groundbreaking, but considering the kind of music it is and how much it sells, 12 year olds could be listening to a lot worse

I dislike Blur and The Gorrillaz, but I have to agree with this. The main thing of course, is that each person gets to hear stuff they enjoy, and if you like the Gorrillaz then listen to them. But also, for many it's the slightly 'alternative' bands that lead people to heavier stuff. A good example if The Smiths - for all their indie cred, they were fairly accessible (which helps explain their relative chart success, of course). The first music to really 'blow me away' with their sound was early Jesus and Mary Chain when I was 14, but if I hadn't been prepped a bit by listening to stuff like The Smiths and The Clash, maybe it would have been harder to get into JAMC? Just a thought.

I like Happy Mondays/Black GRape/Shaun Ryder too, so it was nice to hear his tones again.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 09:10 AM   #19
supersonicsix
little trouble girl

supersonicsix is a glorious beacon of lightsupersonicsix is a glorious beacon of lightsupersonicsix is a glorious beacon of lightsupersonicsix is a glorious beacon of lightsupersonicsix is a glorious beacon of lightsupersonicsix is a glorious beacon of light
i like this band, but it would be pretty hard to keep this whole thing up.
supersonicsix is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth