Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Ecstatic Peace Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.16.2009, 09:37 AM   #121
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe

She looks way better ... not blonde.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 09:40 AM   #122
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
pitchfork jemina pearl interview
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 09:46 AM   #123
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Uh.... yeah. Had to read that, in hopes that there'd be some hot picture of her. Turns out there is! That picture of her licking the ice cream cone is sexy as hell. Otherwise.. Typical boring shill interview I skimmed over except when she talked about that masterpiece After Hours being horrible and I had to laugh.

Old 01.20.2009, 03:39 PM   #124
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"new" WOODEN WAND album on Ecstatic Peace!, May 21

Hello hooray,

I'm very pleased to announce that the long-threatened Wooden Wand album of home recordings and demos will be released by our good friends at Ecstatic Peace! on May 21st. The album - titled Hard Knox, or "Are You Sure Hank Jr Done It This Way?" will feature 14 previously unreleased songs dating as far back as 1999. The album will also include song-by-song liner notes by yours truly.

I'm also preparing demos for the next JJT album, which we hope to start recording in the early part of this new year.

Stay tuned here for more information, or head over to www.ecstaticpeace.com for updates on this and many other fine releases.

Stay in school,

Toth

Culled from his Myspace...

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2009, 11:44 PM   #125
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
The bad news:

Ecstatic Peace can't afford the Magic Markers anymore!

Happy New Year! Drag City welcomes to the stable the dynamic duo known as Magik Markers! Their bone-splitting live shows have long been a favorite of ours, so finally we got off our bed-sores and cart-wheeled sweatily towards an arranged marriage of sorts with these freaky kids. Fortunately, they weren’t scared by our show of enthusiasm, just amused — and as inspired as ever. Their incredible new record, Balf Quarry, is the answer to a lot of unasked questions out there, an answer that's going to unsettle a bunch of you. And naturally, the rest of you lot are gonna laugh like hyenas. But since it's all about the (fucked up) music, who cares? How to care? And what's up? Get into the new Magik Markers in May to wonder these questions with adequate! justification.

The good news:
They can still afford MV&EE

Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2009, 11:48 PM   #126
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Sounds like all good news to me.

Old 01.21.2009, 04:40 AM   #127
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
YES...

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2009, 09:40 AM   #128
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
The good news:
They can still afford MV&EE

caught their set at the Cake Shop last night in NYC, 'back in the basement' Matt said, playing as a duo with Jeremy from Woods sitting in on drums for most of the set. The huge Neil Young arena rock show is pretty much not to be heard, last night much of the set was very relaxed and spaced, reminding me more of the early Medicine Show tours. Enjoyed it at any rate, other than the yammering yahoos who - even though the space was half empty - needed to cluster around the front and talk to each other at loud volume, until some guy told them to shut up.

If I can get a nap after work I might try and see them tonite in w'burg.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2009, 12:06 AM   #129
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
sunburned's John Moloney, Phil Franklin, Ron Schneiderman and Rob Thomas, along with J Mascis and John Townshend will be appearing on the Ecstatic Peace debut of Matt Krefting coming out in May, watch for some live dates.

Sunburned / Kieran Hebden - "TBA" - Ecstatic Peace - cd/lp - out in May
the second meeting of these two artists with Kieran Hebden a.k.a Fourtet at the production and editing controls. extra-dimensional dancefloor music for the HAL9000 & Monolith crowd. the record was recorded by justin pizzaferrato in a slick rural new england studio and features a 5 piece group of Moloney, Sarah O' Shea, Rob Thomas, Ron Schneiderman with Kieran sitting in. just turned in the master to the label today.
Old 01.26.2009, 04:25 PM   #130
Moshe
Super Moderator

Friday, January 23, 2009

who says it's good to be alive?

alright. alright. i'm in northampton still. almost done recording demos. it sounds quite righteous. yesterday we all went to eat lunch with thurston and kesin. it was great! we wrote a new song called "kids stuff" and drank lots of coffee. johnny and i took pictures with kesin out in the dirty snow and on the broken ice. oh and we ate herrell's till i thought i was gonna puke. burnt sugar and butter is the best. we went back and listened to records and thurston gave me his extra copy of kim fowely's outrageous! thanks dude! chinese water torture!!!

we got to work at the studio around 8 and i finished the vox on all but two songs.i was a little bit smashed towards the end, so i might have to clean up some songs. justin said it was good, so maybe it's ok. we'll see. we'll see.

we drove back from greenfield really late and blasted blank generation all the way home. i think max was annoyed by my drunken screaming! today i want to go to some more thrift stores and eat more herrell's!

Posted by jemina pearl at 10:44 AM 5 comments
Old 01.26.2009, 07:20 PM   #131
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertonic
What is the low down on Drone Trailer? Do they still frequent non EP releases? Saw this record carried in my local shop, which doesn't usually carry MV & EE (usually have to order)...
I'm still listening to the 5 full lengths mv released last year!

the cd with the threelobed box set
the 3lobed LP
the CDr that comes with the preorder (and its really good)
CD/tape with Bart Depape
Hick Smoke on COM

I feel like I forgot one. Drone Trailer is on the list, the songs sounded cool played live.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2009, 03:17 PM   #132
Moshe
Super Moderator

James Toth to Issue Two Wooden Wand LPs, One with Track-by-Track Commentary!

Miss Wooden Wand? Well, perhaps James Jackson Toth does, too, because he’s apparently releasing two albums from back in that nostalgic era, before he got backing vocals and fancy guitars and before he ditched the Wooden Wand moniker.
So first, March 31 marks the release of Born Bad, an edition of 500 hand-pressed, hand-screened, signed-on-request, vinyl-only albums. He promises that this album is the reason he was kicked out of the major leagues. The album is co-released on Olympia’s People in a Position to Know label and Toth’s own label, Mad Monk. It’s available for $15.
Then, Ecstatic Peace is releasing a record of his demos on May 21, titled Hard Knox or ‘Are You Sure Hank Jr Done It This Way?’: Home Recordings 1999-2007. And here’s the kicker: It has song-by-song commentary by Toth. I shit you not. I’m excited, and I hope he’s drunk.
Old 02.11.2009, 03:40 PM   #133
Moshe
Super Moderator

The Entrance Band, Jemina's Blog, Mirror/Dash

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
THE ENTRANCE BAND SIGN WITH ECSTATIC PEACE AND UNIVERSAL MOTOWN AND CELEBRATE SIGNING BY SUPPORTING CAT POWER IN L.A. ON FEBRUARY 11TH; EAGERLY AWAITED LABEL DEBUT SET FOR LATER THIS YEAR

Universal Motown and Ecstatic Peace Records have announced the signing of The Entrance Band. The Los Angeles-based trio will release their as-yet-untitled debut later this year. Founder of Ecstatic Peace Records, Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore, says, "The Entrance Band's new music is the most alluring and, yes, entrancing vibe I've yet to experience in this new age. A soundtrack for the new groove."

On Wednesday, February 11th, The Entrance Band will join Cat Power for an eagerly anticipated double bill at Los Angeles' Avalon. An additional slate of live dates will be unveiled shortly.

The Entrance Band kicks out a veritable explosion of mind-bending, skyscraping high-volume electric power. The trio - which includes singer/guitarist Guy Blakeslee, drummer Derek James and bassist Paz Lenchantin (late of A Perfect Circle and Zwan) - set out for new musical frontiers with their full-on melding of psychedelic freakout and punk rock intensity.

The Entrance Band line-up made its recorded debut on 2006's "PRAYER OF DEATH," the last of Blakeslee's solo releases as "Entrance," and the first to feature all original compositions. Pitchfork praised the album's "combination of blues riffs and psychedelic drone," noting that by "creating a maelstrom from which (Blakeslee) can wail feverishly, the band isn't just loud, it's intense." "Blakeslee is downright exultant in his howls and bends and slides," declared PopMatters, commending Lenchatin and James for "(augmenting) nearly every cut on this dense, sometimes overwhelming album, a multitude of eddying sounds providing a contact buzz of mystic overload."

The Entrance Band has also proven a remarkably captivating live act, having built up a notable underground following in California including sold-out shows at the Troubadour in L.A. and the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, and having shared stages with an array of like-minded artists, including Cat Power, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks.

JEMINA PEARL BLOGS TILL SHE PUKES AND HAS ANOTHER GIG

Enjoy the trials and tribulations of Jemina Pearl and the rest of the Nashville Cru in New York on her frequently updated blog PUKE TILL YOU PUNK. NO stone is left unturned as Jemina keeps you posted on what's new with her. Pretty good timing too because she's just about to go into the studio to make one incredible record of songs that she's been working on with John Eatherly who, it turns out, is a stone cold musical genius so filled with hooks and melodies that he even pees "in a tuneful way."

They're gonna bring this show to the Glasslands next Thursday Feb 19 to play with the sick enerfuzed beat punkpop act PONY PANTS from Philadelphia and then some form of MGMT as well? Should be a sweet show.

Glasslands Gallery
Thursday Feb 19th 9:00pm
Jemina Pearl and bad attitude(members of be your own pet)
Pony Pants
DJ Matt Asti of MGMT
more tba

West Coast Axion: MIRROR/DASH AT LA MOCA, THURSTON AT THE SMELL

Mirror/Dash will perform at MOCA on Saturday February 14:
"Join us for another legendary opening party at MOCA as we premier Dan Graham: Beyond. Special performance by Mirror/Dash with Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore. DJ sets by Tom Watson and Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth."

And then dig this slashfest on Friday at The Smell
Friday February 20, 2009 at 9:00pm
Thurston Moore
The Haters
Dead Machines
Hive Mind
Randy Yau
Pedestrian Deposit

The Smell
247 S. Main St.
Los Angeles, California 90019

And check out these upcoming releases:

Serville Sect "Stratospheric Passenger" LP (Late Feb)
Mouthus "Divisionals" LP (Late Feb)
Menstruation Sisters "Samantha "My Wack Panther" LP (Late Feb)
Mutant Ape "Yorkshire Erotic" LP (Early March)
Richard Ramirez/MSBR "Negative Offensive" LP (Early March)
Wand "Hard Knox" CD (End of May)
Matt Krefting "I Couldn't Love You More" CD (Early June)
Sunburned/ Kieran Hebden "A" CD (Mid June)

Old 02.11.2009, 03:43 PM   #134
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

wow, didn't know mutant ape was releasing something through ecstatic! That's crazy.

Old 02.11.2009, 10:18 PM   #135
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
paz @ estatic: always good!
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.11.2009, 11:37 PM   #136
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Entrance Band on Ecstatic Peace, hmm.. since when? Well that's good news.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2009, 11:25 AM   #137
Moshe
Super Moderator

Ecstatic Peace sxsw 2007
Old 02.16.2009, 06:08 PM   #138
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Coming soon - Tyfus skate deck!

blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2009, 12:40 AM   #139
Moshe
Super Moderator

Violent Soho Sign With Thurston Moores Label

Brisbane grunge revivalists Violent Soho have recently inked a deal with Thurston Moore's record label Ecstatic Peace/Universal. And you thought your boss was cool?
A Speak N Spell Press Release reveals:
Hello, good people of the world!
Today’s breaking news...
Brisbane's Violent Soho have just signed an impressive deal with Ecstatic Peace/Universal – a totally ace USA label headed up by none other than Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore, the Godfather of American Indie.
This of course is any rock band with a Marshall stack and Fender Jag's biggest dream!! So it comes as no surprise to hear the band are over the moon at the opportunity to be backed by such a man, not to mention the prospect of spending time in the USA recording and touring their musical wares.
Word is that a newly recorded album - based on the already Australian released record We Don't Belong Here – will be due in the third quarter of '09 for worldwide release.
But fear not, for the band are eager to keep their roots here and will be playing many shows throughout Australia this year.
Old 02.27.2009, 12:08 AM   #140
Moshe
Super Moderator

The Entrance Band Sign to Ecstatic Peace!; Thurston Moore Says They Are the "Soundtrack for the New Groove"
Ever since Thurston Moore’s Ecstatic Peace! inked a deal with Universal, it’s experienced some major changes. Seems like now it is signing either ultra-hippie bands like MV & EE that maybe my dad would like or cute, young "punky" bands like Be Your Own Pet that maybe my younger sister would like. Meanwhile, the noisier jams are kept in the background. Ecstatic Peace! still releases limited-edition cassettes and LPs of some of the more wild sounds being made, but most of this isn’t exactly part of the label’s roster.
Ecstatic Peace’s latest signing is The Entrance Band. Comprised of singer/guitarist Guy Blakeslee, drummer Derek James, and bassist Paz Lenchantin (Zwan, A Perfect Circle), The Entrance Band are currently at Infrasonic Sound Recording (Los Angeles) working on their Ecstatic debut album, the follow-up to 2006’s Prayer of Death.
According to Infrasonic’s Jeff Ehrenberg: “Tracking the band altogether in the live room, just as they would perform on stage, is really capturing their overall energy very well. Guy, Derek and Paz are locking together and playing off each other way tight.” Meanwhile, 50-year-old Thurston Moore says, "The Entrance Band’s new music is the most alluring and, yes, entrancing vibe I’ve yet to experience in this new age. A soundtrack for the new groove."
The record is due later this year, with live dates expected before its release.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth