Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page most overrated artists of all time
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.22.2006, 01:18 PM   #1
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
what pops to mind is probably tupac and the sex pistols.
dietzer123 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 01:21 PM   #2
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Metallica hands down.
Old 03.22.2006, 01:25 PM   #3
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
My opinions. Please do not assume that this list is in any way exhaustive. I'll just type 'till my fingers get too sore.

Part one: people who (supposedly) should not be bashed, but who are or were in fact largely bobbins: The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zepellin, U2, Bloody Radiohead, Blur, Belle and Sebastian, Kaiser Chiefs, Eminem, Coldplay, Pink Floyd, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Brian Eno, Genesis, Abba, Bee Gees, The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips, REM, Blondie, undertones, Verve, The Strokes

Part two: people who are polular, but not protected to the same extent as those in part one, and are or were also largely bobbins: Green Day, the Foo Fighters, The Darkness, Slipknot, Maximo Park, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Pavement, Rage Against the Machine, 50 Cent, Snow Patrol (the point? Any idea?), Keane (ditto), The Killers, My Chemical Romance, Black Sabbath, Ash, Turin Brakes, Alkaline Trio, The Bravery, Iron Maiden, The Editors, The Hives, The Vines, Catatonia, Guns 'n' Roses, Christina Agullera, Massive Attack, Underworld, Fatboy Slim, AC/DC.

Part three: throwaway pop acts etc who, despite being very popular and/or supposedly credible in some way, are or were still largely bobbins: Celine Dion (first on the list for a reason), Mariah Carey, Kylie Minogue, Gerorge Michael, Phil Collins, Westlife, Jamie Cullum, Wham!, Bananarama, Simply Red, Simple Minds, .

Classical composers who, despite the trend, were largely bobbins: Beethoven, Sullivan, Britten, that guy whose name escapes me, Dvorak.

It seems to me that jazz is the only major musical genre where it's quality that gets respect.

In jazz, the cream rises to the surface, whilst in other genres the pollution just kind of floats there.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 01:30 PM   #4
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
My opinions. Please do not assume that this list is in any way exhaustive. I'll just type 'till my fingers get too sore.

Part one: people who (supposedly) should not be bashed, but who are or were in fact largely bobbins: The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zepellin, U2, Bloody Radiohead, Blur, Belle and Sebastian, Kaiser Chiefs, Eminem, Coldplay, Pink Floyd, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Brian Eno, Genesis, Abba, Bee Gees, The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips, REM

Part two: people who are polular, but not protected to the same extent as those in part one, and are or were also largely bobbins: Green Day, the Foo Fighters, The Darkness, Slipknot, Maximo Park, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Pavement, Rage Against the Machine, 50 Cent, Snow Patrol (the point? Any idea?), Keane (ditto), The Killers, My Chemical Romance, Black Sabbath, Ash, Turin Brakes, Alkaline Trio, The Bravery, Iron Maiden, The Editors, The Hives, The Vines, Catatonia, Guns 'n' Roses, Christina Agullera, Massive Attack, Underworld, Fatboy Slim, AC/DC.

Part three: throwaway pop acts etc who, despite being very popular and/or supposedly credible in some way, are or were still largely bobbins: Celine Dion (first on the list for a reason), Mariah Carey, Kylie Minogue, Gerorge Michael, Phil Collins, Westlife, Jamie Cullum, Wham!, Bananarama, Simply Red, Simple Minds, .

Classical composers who, despite the trend, were largely bobbins: Beethoven (one decent part of one average symphony and what does he get? hundreds of years of respect!), Sullivan, Britten, that guy whose name escapes me, Dvorak.

It seems to me that jazz is the only major musical genre where it's quality that gets respect.

In jazz, the cream rises to the surface, whilst in other genres the pollution just kind of floats there.

Well put, I can agree with you in all of those categories. I'm starting to slowly get into jazz more and more, and I already really like Sun Ra. I'd be interested in discovering new jazz artists
Old 03.22.2006, 01:34 PM   #5
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
i dont want to enter a slanging match with anyone here but personally i think nick drake is a bit overrated.Its only personal taste after all.
porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 01:44 PM   #6
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
Hip Priest- You are my hero. But why the Darkness? "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" is genius.

I never liked Led Zeppelin. I don't get it. It's some banshee in tight pants wailing for eight hours over and over. So what?
Old 03.22.2006, 01:47 PM   #7
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks mate.

The Darkness? I don't know. They're not good enough to be a serious band, and not funny enough to be a skit, in my opinion of course. Glam Racket, by The Fall, makes fun of glam better, and it's a superior riff too. In fact, that riff sums up glam as well as you just summed up Led Zepellin.

I think partly it was another Arctic Monkeys/too much praaise thing.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 01:49 PM   #9
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Schizo you must be kidding!The Darkness is one of the worst bands i've ever heard!

Nirvana is probably one of the most overrated bands ever.Don't get me wrong i like em but they're so overrated.

By the way nicely done Hip Priest
Old 03.22.2006, 01:50 PM   #10
Signpost
stalker

Signpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's asses
Placebo
Yes
Soundgarden
Tortoise
Old 03.22.2006, 01:55 PM   #11
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Overrated?

Nirvana
Bright Eyes(I actually quite liked "I'm Wide Awake...")
the Cure
Wolf Eyes(I love 'em but they aren't all they're cracked up to be. Hair Police and Yellow Swans do it much better.)
Flipper(I really don't like it)
Belle & Sebastian(Again, something I really like but its far too hyped up.)
Old 03.22.2006, 02:00 PM   #12
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
I think I just like that one Darkness song (I'm not saying they're a good band, I just like that song) because it's rare to see spandex catsuits anymore. I'm sentimental.

Belle and Sebastian really are overrated. The singer always tries to come off as Holden Caulfield.
Old 03.22.2006, 02:02 PM   #13
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Overrated?

Nirvana
Bright Eyes(I actually quite liked "I'm Wide Awake...")
the Cure
Wolf Eyes(I love 'em but they aren't all they're cracked up to be. Hair Police and Yellow Swans do it much better.)
Flipper(I really don't like it)
Belle & Sebastian(Again, something I really like but its far too hyped up.)

I'm with ya on this one, especially Bright Eyes. I liked Bright Eyes when Lifted was first released, and I sometimes feel that people saying "CoNoR ObErSt Is SoOo ScHmExY!" is the reason I'm not into them at all anymore. I still love Conor's split with Britt Daniel; I could easily say it's the best thing he ever released
Old 03.22.2006, 02:03 PM   #14
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
This one's for schizo

I BELIEVE I A THING CALLED LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!!!
Old 03.22.2006, 02:04 PM   #15
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i heard a song from lifted and i thought it was great!!. then i heard the two albums he put out last year and i was like "fuck this guy trying to be bob dylan!!"
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 02:14 PM   #16
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah. Digital Ash was horrible and I don't like Fevers & Mirrors either.
Old 03.22.2006, 02:18 PM   #17
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Classical composers who, despite the trend, were largely bobbins: Beethoven (one decent part of one average symphony and what does he get? hundreds of years of respect!)

Bzzz. Wrong. I was pretty much with you up to this point. But Beethoven is brilliant.

Mozart on the other hand...

Quote:

"Classical", for the most part, is that way as well.
Old 03.22.2006, 02:27 PM   #18
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
I'm with ya on this one, especially Bright Eyes. I liked Bright Eyes when Lifted was first released, and I sometimes feel that people saying "CoNoR ObErSt Is SoOo ScHmExY!" is the reason I'm not into them at all anymore. I still love Conor's split with Britt Daniel; I could easily say it's the best thing he ever released

Aaahh, thank you. It's the little "indie" fangirls who only like him because he's "cute" and totally speaks to their 13-year-old prepubescent soul.

I really like that split. I second this statement.

Trasher- Haha, thanks.
Old 03.22.2006, 02:28 PM   #19
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
I'm going to go on alimb and admit I like i'm wide awake/it's morning... not a lot, but it's ok. Lua is good song. But the idea of bright eyes now is far too hokey for me to ever listen to him.

Led zeppelin - overrated yes... but if you haven't listened to them in three years and then hear achille's last stand followed by house of holy (the song) you'll be fucking happy.

Pearl Jam... overrated to an extent... ten was boring dribble. Same goes for alice in chains, soundgarden, and rage against the machine. I really don't see the big deal with heavy modern (90's modern, and todays) rock. It's boring.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 02:30 PM   #20
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

Most popular "alternative" rock around 1990-97 is generally overrated.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth