Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Wire Magazine's 50 Records Of The Year
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.20.2006, 10:29 AM   #41
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
"2006 : the year dubstep broke" is in the pressing process right now and for the first time ever it will be (--dramatic pause---) a video vinyl ! Fuck all that blue-ray vs. hd-dvd bullshit, this will be the "new thing". Aaaand Gmku will be happy. But you'll have to buy an audio-video turntable with dvi/hdmi outputs (better hdmi to have both audio and video with a single cable).
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2006, 10:32 AM   #42
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Have a little sit down with your eyes closed until it passes, nicfit
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2006, 10:33 AM   #43
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by candymoan
it would be rather unfair to call celtic frost old school death metal..
celtic frost is not a generic band, and their music is very diverse..

i'd say, good call..

Whether it's a good call or not has nothing to do with my question. I don't recall the Wire ever giving props to the overall type of music Celtic Frost play (and I don't think it's unfair to call them old school death metal as they've been around forever and whatever they play is based around the sound they pioneered which is what was originally called "Death Metal", it wasn't a dis, I'd call Einsturzende Neubauten, who I worship, old school industrial to differentiate them from NIN bullshit.)

It seems Sunn O)) have succeeded mightily in their mission of bringing the good word of metal to the academics at the Wire, which is all I was ever commenting on.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2006, 10:34 AM   #44
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Have a little sit down with your eyes closed until it passes, nicfit
It ain't no joke, man!
http://www.vinylvideo.com/
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2006, 02:48 PM   #45
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
i wouldnt put it in my top 10 this year either.

me neither, but i'm surprised that they don't... well just a little maybe.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2006, 02:51 PM   #46
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i'm thinking i won't renew my subscription to the wire this year.

it costs over $100, and it's most esoteric, and i hardly have time to read it anyway, and when i do, i feel terribly jealous of all those live performance reviews i never could attend.

i'm sticking to my free arthurs for the next year.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2006, 03:20 PM   #47
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
It's a good issue, got it in the post this morning. I've not kept up with a lot of what they've been writing about this year, but I'm sure there's lots of things I'll hate and plenty of things I'll love within that list. As ever with the Wire, I commend them for introducing me to oodles of new music, whether I like it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2006, 03:28 PM   #48
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I plan to subscribe pretty soon. I buy them every month anyway, so there's no reason to spend extra money
Old 12.20.2006, 04:05 PM   #49
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
I plan to subscribe pretty soon. I buy them every month anyway, so there's no reason to spend extra money
yeah, the subscription comes with some nice esoteric cds form time to time plus some other goodies. but for $100 i can buy 10 new records instead of reading about them, is my thought.

i wonder if there is a more middlebrow publication that would cut it for me, as i am not an initiate in the inner mysteries of cthulhu...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2006, 05:59 PM   #50
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
I love the wire in that it introduces me to lots of music, and is among the few magazines taht actually write about music i listen to and want to listen to.

BUT, I fucking HATE the journalism (if that makes sense... I mean the way it's written). Everett True makes my skin crawl. I had the displeasure of meeting him at a Jens Lekman gig in Brighton. YUCK.

The list is ok. I have to admit I haven't listened to much of it, and there are things I would include that aren't in there (wont get into that now as I plan on doing some sort of end of year list soon ). Definitely better than rough trade's crock of shite (although if it's based purely on sales then it's actually very interesting).
Old 12.20.2006, 06:13 PM   #51
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Is Everett True as much of a creep in real life as he seems in print?
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2006, 06:21 PM   #52
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
oh god he's WORSE! he said of me in his blog "a teenage girl transported from the mundane, in raptures, twisting and turning through the church aisles with her partner."
PERVERT!
also he eats cake in a really unpleasant crumbs everywhere sort of way.
Old 12.20.2006, 09:57 PM   #53
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Is Everett True as much of a creep in real life as he seems in print?

The one time I met him he seemed really nice and quite cool. But then, I'm not a teenage girl, so I can't vouch for his perversity. I was also praising him at the time for writing a scathing review of Liz Phair's third album in the Stranger in Seattle. I really appreciated that he wasn't like all the other journalists who would never call bullshit when an indie icon put out a piece of commercial garbage, because face it, they all want to get their reviews stuck in the press releases that go with the next album and maybe even get a job at the label.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2006, 04:18 AM   #54
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
It ain't no joke, man!
http://www.vinylvideo.com/

Freaky stuff.
Old 12.21.2006, 04:27 AM   #55
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think that Everett True writes for the wire...
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2006, 04:32 AM   #56
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I was thinking that too. He writes for Plan B, a magazine that I hate but keep finding myself buying because they keep on writing about one decent band among all the hipster crap.

I used to subscribe to The Wire, but stopped because I found that in one copy in every three I was only reading the reviews. I'm thinking of starting again now though.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2006, 04:33 AM   #57
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
I don't think that Everett True writes for the wire...

I didn't think he did, but wasn't sure enough to say so without checking.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2006, 04:41 AM   #58
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Everett True never wrote for The Wire.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2006, 01:45 PM   #59
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
i like the fact that justin timberlake and TI aren't on there....but where o where are the Liars!?! I don't care what you think of them (I didn't like them at all until this year), Drums Not Dead is the best album of the year, it kicks so much ass its not funny...and thom yorke is with me on this....

despite what the lord thom yorke says, drums not dead was one of the worst albums of the year. on the converse, if one's able to set aside their pretention then maybe they'll find that the justin timberlake album is actually really good.

then again, it's not indie cred, so i'm wasting my breath.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2006, 01:59 PM   #60
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
despite what the lord thom yorke says, drums not dead was one of the worst albums of the year. on the converse, if one's able to set aside their pretention then maybe they'll find that the justin timberlake album is actually really good.

then again, it's not indie cred, so i'm wasting my breath.

I liked drum's not dead, and it's really nice to see just a modicum of interesting and dancable music coming from the sludge-grey ivory towers of indie rock, but JT fucking slays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth