Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café VII
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.25.2018, 10:41 AM   #181
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Two Kanye and Kendrick songs leaked yesterday. I was able to listen to one (a Kendrick song with a Kanye feature called “Don’t Jump), and the other (a Kanye song with a Kendrick feature called... I don’t remember) was removed from SoundCloud before I could hear it.

Sounded fucking good though.

I don’t know if it’s new or from the “No More Parties in LA” session, but damn.

There’s been a lot of buzz about Kanye being back in Wyoming with a posse. Lots of buzz. People think a new album is coming but I’m not so optimistic. I think he’ll stick to his every 3 years schedule (ugh), which means 2019. Goddammit.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2018, 11:06 AM   #182
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Also “Southside Serenade” just leaked online. Sounds pretty good. Again, no way to tell if it’s a discarded SHMG/TLOP track or if it’s something he’s been working on recently, but fans think they know.
Old 03.25.2018, 11:09 AM   #183
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
My friend made this comparsion and I wanted to know what y'all think because I couldn't see it.

I do not see it. It’s a simple, surface-level comparison. Yeah, both artists have a tendency to take on social and political issues, but that’s about it. Nothing similar about their styles or how they approach music.

Kendrick is more like 2pac with a bit of Common injected into him, and some of the musical adventurousness of Kanye. Sure, if you need a rapper to blame his socio-political conscience on, Chuck D is an easy and obvious choice, but it’s a trivial comparison. Totally differen kinds of artists.
Old 03.25.2018, 01:27 PM   #184
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Speaking of Kanye he was at one of the March of Lives.

He actually looks pretty happy in himself. I know a)given the situation the picture it's taken in b)it's a single photo it's easy to say and we don't truly know. Here's hoping he's sorted himself out anyway.

I'm a massive fan of Kim Kardashian, but man, she looks stunning here.

And nod to Common there too.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2018, 03:42 PM   #185
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Speaking of Kanye he was at one of the March of Lives.

He actually looks pretty happy in himself. I know a)given the situation the picture it's taken in b)it's a single photo it's easy to say and we don't truly know. Here's hoping he's sorted himself out anyway.

I'm a massive fan of Kim Kardashian, but man, she looks stunning here.

And nod to Common there too.

This made me SO happy!

I covered a local march as press, but wasn’t able to actively participate. It was a good assignment though, and I saw this on my FB feed just after finishing up all the photo and copy work.

Awesome.

Re: Kim — Yes, I too am not a fan, but she is magfuckingnificent. Beeautiful with or without makeup, irrespective of hair color. Goddamn gorgeous.
Vapid, sure, but not completely empty. Though I will say I’ve dated plenty of girls who were crazy hot and crazy-crazy, with just enough of a spark to keep me hanging on to the hope that they’ll become less vacuous human beings. It’s never actually worked out.

Still... I am profoundly attracted to her. There’s a sweetness in her eyes. I prefer the “basic” photos to the near-nude ones. Sweatpants > sparkly dresses. Yum.
Old 03.27.2018, 04:40 PM   #186
Severian
invito al cielo

HOLY SHIT

JPEGMafia is *good*

How and why have we not been talking about this shit?

JPEGMafia - “Thug Tears”
Old 03.28.2018, 09:45 AM   #187
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Needledrop guy gave the album 8/10.

Where does Needledrop end and Severian begin?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2018, 11:41 AM   #188
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Does Kendrick remind y'all of Chuck D in a way?

NO.

Kendrick is his own thang.

Only person I could compare Chuck D to would be Guru
Old 03.28.2018, 12:58 PM   #189
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Needledrop guy gave the album 8/10.

Where does Needledrop end and Severian begin?

We disagree heatedly on all the important shit, even if there are board strokes similarities. I’ve communicated with him over email about his absolute wrongness regarding the quality of Burial’s “Come Down to Us” and Frank Ocean’s “Futura Free.”

Stupid fat, popular, rich me minus student loans and failed attempt at graduate school.
Old 03.29.2018, 11:27 AM   #190
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
How did he respond?

If he did
Old 03.29.2018, 08:23 PM   #191
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
How did he respond?

If he did

I said we communicated, didn’t I?

Yeah, he replied to my question of When are you going to re-evaluate Burial’s Rival Dealer and realize that it’s the man’s career-best work, and that the song you think is the worst — ‘Come Down to Us’ — is in fact the most haunting and beautiful thing he’a Ever done?” I had also written about how his opinions tend to loosely mirror my own except in instances of objective wrongness like the aforementioned, and I named a few others (Yeezus, “Futura Free”).

He said something like “Sadly my opinion hasn’t changed. Unfortunately I’ve found his music less and less interesting with each release.”
Didn’t say much else.

Short reply, but whatever. I’m not bragging about the interaction, it’s just funny that you think we have similar opinions when that’s only the case on the surface. Dig into an album and he’s almost always “wrong” about what the best and worst songs are, even if he’s “right” about the album being good or bad or meh.
Old 03.30.2018, 10:00 AM   #192
evollove
invito al cielo

In descending order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
The Needle Drop is no better. That asshole always hates the best shit! Who the fuck gives Burial’s “Rival Dealer” a crap review? What kind of sick mind must that shit take? Fucking sicko.

Quote:
I hate the NeedleDrop guy. He doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.
Fuck you, NeedleDrop guy!

Quote:
Count how many times he says "dense" or "pulsing" or ... "grooves." Guy can't talk about his own shit without mentioned it's "grooves." He knows zero music theory. I hate him.

Quote:
I was making fun of Anthony Fantano. He always says the best songs are the worst.

Quote:
Btw: I at least 50% hate this guy (Anthony Fantano), but this is one of those other 50% moments where.. goddamn... I'm almost glad he exists.

Quote:
I LOVE Needledrop! I wish I was as smart as Fantano.

Okay, I made up the last one.
Old 03.30.2018, 09:24 PM   #193
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
In descending order.

Okay, I made up the last one.

You actually performed a search and copied and pasted like eight comments (and made up a comment) for... what purpose was it? To illustrate some vacillating on my part?

Cool. Let that sink in.

Anyway, I still half-hate him, but — broad stokes — he tends to like pretty good music. Lots of punk, hardcore, post-punk, decent hip-hop (sometimes he likes great hip-hop), but he never gets it right. Even when I agree with him I get pissed off because we disagree on things I think are really important (Futura Free and Come Down to Us, MBDTF and Yeezus, Damn, etc.)

Hell, I just called him a dumb fat me.

I don’t take your meaning, I guess, is what I’m saying.
Old 03.30.2018, 09:32 PM   #194
evollove
invito al cielo

My meaning? I had five minutes to kill and felt like fucking around. IT'S FUNNY! I can't even explain why.

Chill homie and appreciate my handiwork.

I'm curious why he gets under your skin so much, though. Lots of people review stuff and I have absolutely no emotional reaction to any of it. Why does this guy bug you so much?

Also, I'm curious if you feel you get fucked with in a cruel way online a lot? I was really just gently teasing about your seeming obsession with the guy, and you didn't even recognize that. You took it as a much more hostile gesture than I intended. Have too many past experiences put you in perpetual defensive mode?
Old 03.31.2018, 09:12 AM   #195
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
My meaning? I had five minutes to kill and felt like fucking around. IT'S FUNNY! I can't even explain why.

Chill homie and appreciate my handiwork.

I'm curious why he gets under your skin so much, though. Lots of people review stuff and I have absolutely no emotional reaction to any of it. Why does this guy bug you so much?

Also, I'm curious if you feel you get fucked with in a cruel way online a lot? I was really just gently teasing about your seeming obsession with the guy, and you didn't even recognize that. You took it as a much more hostile gesture than I intended. Have too many past experiences put you in perpetual defensive mode?

Yikes. Uh, I knew you were just teasing and I didn’t mean to give the impression I was (what’s that awful term people say? Oh yeah, “Butthurt.” Eww, I hate that) and my intention was simply to clap back lightly over something that’s obviously just a bit of friendly ribbing.

Maybe I’ve just been ultra stressed lately and that came out in my reply. Actually, I’ve definitelt been ultra stressed lately, so maybe that’s what it was.

I have actually had some unpleasant online experiences, but they were more of the sinister/stalky variety. Like, being emailed a picture of my girlfriend’s mother’s house by someone I don’t know. So, yeah, kinda. That’s why I keep things pretty impersonal. I’ll tell anecdotes and shit, and talk about my job, but never where I work or exact personal details. Just seen too much crazy in my way-more-25-but-less-than-45 years.

Anyway, no hard feelings bub. I just thought we were sparring a bit. I was trying to be funny, but my inner aggro must have seeped out.
Old 03.31.2018, 09:26 AM   #196
Severian
invito al cielo

Regarding your question about Fantano and why he bugs me, I think the answer comes down to this:

I wanted to be a music writer — a writer who wrote about music, not a reviewer because that’s only a full time job for like five people anymore — since I was very wee indeed. I went to college on a writing scholarship and tried to generate interest in entertainment writing and zines among my friends and fellow students, but nobody was into doing it. Spent a few years at it before deciding I needed to be more practical with my education. I basically started my bachelor’s degree again in a science, graduated, went to grad school, damn near killed myself, crashed, burned, dropped out, got a few joyless accounting jobs that sucked up about 6 years of my life, finally said fuck that and tried my hand at journalism again, spent a good year freelancing before landing an abusive pair of part-time gigs that barely paid the bills, and then turned that eventually into a job that is actually pretty solid with a decent salary.
In short, I’ve spent most of my life working to be in a place where I would even be in a position to write about music professionally.
So, to recap: Compromise after compromise... roughly 25 years of dreamin, trying, failing, quitting, starting over, struggling, etc.
Meanwhile there’s some fat bald version of me who didn’t bother with education or taking the “official” approach, and simply picked up a phone, pressed record and decided he was a music “journalist.” And he KILLED it, and people love him... or hate him (doesn’t matter). That’s his full-time job and he probably makes more than I ever will and never has to leave his house or manage freelancers or prooof pages of work with publishers or give presentations to disinterested local high-school newspaper classes or jump in his car at 3 a.m. and follow sirens so he can take photos of dead people at crash sites.

So long story short, I’m bitter. Not too proud to admit that.
Not that I want his life or anything. I HATE being filmed and looked at. I HATE being the center of attention in my actual day-to-day life. But I certainly wish that someone lucky enough to hop into a profession on a whim would have the good sense to NOT FUCKING RIP ON “RIVAL DEALER.”

Old 04.01.2018, 05:48 AM   #197
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
New Weeknd “project” (EP? album? whatever..) is pretty great.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2018, 08:00 AM   #198
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
well from what was a off the cuff joke turned into this?! For what it's worth, I don't really get why Fantano gets so much love. From the very few reviews I've watched he's just...ok. But hey, he found a market and was able to use that to make some mega bucks just from reviewing albums. Fair play to him.

I've got a weird soft spot for Weeknd (I can't feel my face is one of the best pop songs of the last 15 years) so I'll check his new stuff out.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2018, 02:01 PM   #199
evollove
invito al cielo

Quote:
So long story short, I’m bitter. Not too proud to admit that.

OK. I get that. Have that bitter envy, actually, toward some people.

And if it makes you feel better, while I think he makes some good points now and then, I very, very rarely make it all the way through his vids. At least, not without speeding them up to get them over with sooner. You seem to envy his fame, not his "talent."
Old 04.02.2018, 02:03 PM   #200
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Rich as in Spirit is fucking awesome. Rich Homie Quan is BACK BABY
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth