Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café VII
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.09.2018, 11:58 AM   #161
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am sure there are countless ones that deserve it more, but that has nothing to do with a severe personal reaction to his bullshit.
Old 03.10.2018, 12:30 PM   #162
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
sad to hear anyone who is a Sonic Youth fan decry someone's personal musical taste as "wrong as fuck".

Common SUCKS. his "music" SUCKS. It is not even worth mentioning along the likes of Tribe or Roots. (I don;t give a fuck about D'Angelo either, who is NOT Hip Hop, but straight soul R&B)

I listen to what makes me feel good. Rae Sremm, Young Thug, Future, Kevin Gates, Lil Yachty, 2Chainz, Ty $, and more are fucking awesome fun and amazing to blast and fucking entertaining. Common is a fucking windbag of mediocrity using "wokeness" as a selling point for his extremely bland "music." Fuck that loser.

There is nothing innovative nor actually clever in any of Common's "music." fuck that puto.

de la distanced themselves for Common Sense early on because they knew right away he was a fake ass bitch

Hey, I’m only trolling your ass because you made a point for so long of claiming Kanye (and Kendrick and others) were overrated shit every time I brought them up.

Toughen up, kiddo.

Also, no D’Angelo isn’t rap, but he’s in the hip-hop sphere. Not only because of his history of collaboration with rappers and hip-hop producers, but also because his music has always emphasized beat and timing (and featured rappers!), with a solid element of hip-hop structure in everything he’s released. Voodoo was recorded with Questlove and Common and so on, and Black Messiah is in a similar vein to Kendrick’s TPAB in the sense that it leans heavily on analogue jazz and blues and funk music.

He was also part of a big collective of artists, including rappers, producers and other singers like the Roots, Common, Erykah Badu (and by extension Andre 3k), J Dilla, and some others I forget. The collective is responsible for some of the defining rap and R&B recordings of the late ‘90s/early ‘00s.

Like Frank Ocean or Erykah, he’s not hip-hop, but he’s absolutely hip-hop adjacent.

Fool!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2018, 12:35 PM   #163
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Fair enough. That was a pretty obnoxious ad. Why is he speaking to an empty auditorium? I don't get that.

I tried reading his book, but that was pretty obnoxious too.

I find a lot of his albums contain three or four good songs, surrounded a bunch of filler. Not all, but most.

But those three or four songs are fantastic. I made a personal "best of" Common mix, and it's the greatest thing ever. He's generally an excellent lyricist. His positivity has undoubtedly made shitty lives better. To the best of my knowledge, he's never endorsed a liquor product.

Parents and kids can dig Common, which is kind of corny but also kind of cool.

I dunno. I can think of at least a dozen contemporary rappers who deserve hate more than Common.

I’m not even that big of a Common fan all things considered, but acting like he hasn’t been a positive force in hip-hop is absurd. Talking about the guy who single-handedly send Ice Cube to the children’s movie circuit.

He may be a corny wanker on TV (I don’t know — I don’t watch commercials because... uh... I’m too hardcore for that? And also they have nothing to do with the music of the artist who might appear in them), but he’s released some absolute classics.

I also kinda like him. I’ve seen him in a few movies and he’s a fairly likeable dude, it seems.

Young Thug just changed his name to SEX or some stupid shit, which isn’t a publicity stunt at all, and certainly doesn’t smack of the desperation of impending obsolescence.
Old 03.12.2018, 08:17 AM   #164
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Common was obsolete by 2000
Old 03.12.2018, 09:54 AM   #165
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Common was obsolete by 2000

Seriously, I don’t even like him *that* much, but he hadn’t even dropped his biggest album by 2000.

You just, like, SAY things and they don’t need to mean anything or be true, because you said them, and that’s just how it is.

It’s one thing to be like, “I don’t like Common, and I think he’s a suckassbitch,” but to say he’s obsolete, or that he was done by 2000 — that’s just utter bullshit. I mean, the guy won an Oscar two years ago, soooo... And released a string of well-received albums in the 00s. And his last album was actually really good.

He’s not on my listed favorite rappers, and never has been, but don’t act like the guy hasn’t had a career.

I don’t even know why I bother. When there’s real talent, you don’t pay attention or.hou dismiss. I don’t even give much of a shit about Common, but you’re just making incorrect statements.

Kendrick drops four classic albums that speak to a generation and change the game, and you’re like “Kendrick sucks.”
Kanye West has the most solid discography in modern music, irrespective of genre, and even the people who hate him aren’t traditionally stupid enough to assert that he hasn’t changed music itself several times over, and that he isn’t one of the most innovative artists of his era. And you’re like.... “Fuck Kanye he sucks.” Like, every chance you get.
Frank Ocean shatters glass ceilings on a weekly basis. “Fuck Frank Ocean”
Vince Staples is only a couple releases behind Kendrick and Kanye when it comes to consistency and, and you probably have yet to hear Summertime ‘06. When you do hear it, you’ll be like “Fuck it I want Future and Migos ‘cuz South!”
Oh and “Fuck Jay-Z” too.
And Common.
Oh, and D’Angelo! Fuck that guy too.

But boy that Rae Sremmund!!
Old 03.12.2018, 02:38 PM   #166
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Seriously, I don’t even like him *that* much, but he hadn’t even dropped his biggest album by 2000.

You just, like, SAY things and they don’t need to mean anything or be true, because you said them, and that’s just how it is.

It’s one thing to be like, “I don’t like Common, and I think he’s a suckassbitch,” but to say he’s obsolete, or that he was done by 2000 — that’s just utter bullshit. I mean, the guy won an Oscar two years ago, soooo... And released a string of well-received albums in the 00s. And his last album was actually really good.

He’s not on my listed favorite rappers, and never has been, but don’t act like the guy hasn’t had a career.

I don’t even know why I bother. When there’s real talent, you don’t pay attention or.hou dismiss. I don’t even give much of a shit about Common, but you’re just making incorrect statements.

Kendrick drops four classic albums that speak to a generation and change the game, and you’re like “Kendrick sucks.”
Kanye West has the most solid discography in modern music, irrespective of genre, and even the people who hate him aren’t traditionally stupid enough to assert that he hasn’t changed music itself several times over, and that he isn’t one of the most innovative artists of his era. And you’re like.... “Fuck Kanye he sucks.” Like, every chance you get.
Frank Ocean shatters glass ceilings on a weekly basis. “Fuck Frank Ocean”
Vince Staples is only a couple releases behind Kendrick and Kanye when it comes to consistency and, and you probably have yet to hear Summertime ‘04. When you do hear it, you’ll be like “Fuck it I want Future and Migos ‘cuz South!”
Oh and “Fuck Jay-Z” too.
And Common.
Oh, and D’Angelo! Fuck that guy too.

But boy that Rae Sremmund!!

Love it. I must spread my legs around before giving it to Sev again

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2018, 07:19 AM   #167
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Been listening to a lot of 90's shit lately. Biggie, OutKast..
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2018, 08:52 PM   #168
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Been listening to a lot of 90's shit lately. Biggie, OutKast..

Been blasting some OutKast lately too.

I don’t think an Andre solo album is ever going to happen though. And they’re never going to reunite on record.

Goddamn shame.

I drool over “Gasoline Dreams”
Old 03.16.2018, 09:08 PM   #169
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
What was that Andre 3000 album from years ago that was like a soundtrack to a cartoon? I never heard it.
Old 03.17.2018, 11:15 AM   #170
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
What was that Andre 3000 album from years ago that was like a soundtrack to a cartoon? I never heard it.

I don’t even think I know what you’re talking about... but he never released an album-album, unless I’ve been consistently and grossly misinformed over several years’ time.
Old 03.17.2018, 04:16 PM   #171
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Found it

http://www.amazon.com/Class-3000-Mus.../dp/B000RB6UY2
Old 03.17.2018, 10:19 PM   #172
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

Weird. Didn’t know about that, but again... not an album-album.

Kinda pisses me off that he has time for shit like that but NOT for the goddamn album people have been waiting for for ... oh my god, like 14 years.

I am old. We are old.
Old 03.24.2018, 10:46 AM   #173
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Does Kendrick remind y'all of Chuck D in a way?
Old 03.24.2018, 10:48 AM   #174
louder
invito al cielo

We need a proper documentary about Biggie's creative process. His artistry. How he mastered his technique. What his influences were.

Almost everything that can be found online is tied to his "beef" with 2Pac. Yawn.
Old 03.24.2018, 10:57 AM   #175
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Does Kendrick remind y'all of Chuck D in a way?

Not really.
Old 03.24.2018, 10:58 AM   #176
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
We need a proper documentary about Biggie's creative process. His artistry. How he mastered his technique. What his influences were.

Almost everything that can be found online is tied to his "beef" with 2Pac. Yawn.

Yeah. Sure. Sounds good. I’d watch that.
Old 03.24.2018, 09:02 PM   #177
Severian
invito al cielo

So nobody said anything about the fact that I kind of like “Icon” by fuckin’ Jaiden Smith. Not sure what to make of that. Just being ignored? Maybe nobody’s reading (likely)?
Old 03.24.2018, 09:56 PM   #178
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Not really.
My friend made this comparsion and I wanted to know what y'all think because I couldn't see it.
Old 03.24.2018, 10:10 PM   #179
louder
invito al cielo

Sev.. check out "Watch Me" by Jaden Smith. It's a direct bite of Black Skinhead. And "Batman" is a Jumpman/Facts remake. Haha.

I don't know what Kanye song "Icon" reminds me of.. maybe All Day?

Somehow a spoiled hipster kid doing Kanye covers is more listenable than most of the "new school" mainstream bullshit out there these days.

I do read all of your posts by the way.
Old 03.25.2018, 10:38 AM   #180
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Sev.. check out "Watch Me" by Jaden Smith. It's a direct bite of Black Skinhead. And "Batman" is a Jumpman/Facts remake. Haha.

I don't know what Kanye song "Icon" reminds me of.. maybe All Day?

Somehow a spoiled hipster kid doing Kanye covers is more listenable than most of the "new school" mainstream bullshit out there these days.

I do read all of your posts by the way.

I know! I felt a “Kanyeness” about it too. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. I was thinking maybe something from Cruel Summer? But “Batman” or “Black Bruce Wayne” or whatever is definitely a “FACTS” lite.

I don’t want to like the little fuckwad, because he objectively sucks as a person (remember when he was doing that whole “Zen life coach” thing and giving Instagram advice or whatever? Fuck that fucking ass), but he’s got some producers or something that are able to ape just enough hummable shit from other artists to make some of it kind of astonishingly good.... for, y’know... Will Smith’s kid.

I’m sick of motivational rappers. DJ Khalid can eat death and fuck a skull.
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth