Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rather Ripped Review
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.16.2006, 12:46 AM   #81
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah i downloaded the album, suck it if thats a problem for you, I will for sure buy it the first day it comes out. I haven't listened to it much, but wow, kim is great on this album, star of the show for the vocals. singing in key? who would of thunk it? although I like kim's voice quite a bit on alot of songs, sometimes her voice is a distraction when she is going all dischordent. but yeah, I like her vocals on this album, its a very catchy album as has been said over and over, it kinda reminds me of how Fugazi got very catchy on The Argument, but obviously in an SY way. I like it, at least for now, Sy stuff that i like alot immediatly sort of starts to diminish in pleasure faster that the more difficult and complex stuff. but overall, im happy with the album, it sounds like sonic youth...
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 01:48 AM   #82
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by qprogeny79
for those of you who are anal-retentive about downloading but still want to hear something, incinerate is on their myspace page. (edit -- seriously, parts of that song remind me of some old music from a mega man game from nes.)

seriously, it's impossible to believe these are the same people who released confusion is sex 25 years ago.

Hey, thanks, I didn't know it was there... Incinerate is great

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 02:11 AM   #83
hambu hodo
little trouble girl

hambu hodo has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
neongod, you're from baltimore? do you play in any local bands? i may know you. hehe.

but anyways, i think i'm going to weigh in with my two cents on this album. i'm sorry if anyone is frustrated that i've already heard it, but i can promise you that i will purchase the album and that jesus has already died for our sins.

1. reena - perhaps my favorite track on the album. great opener, very strong. terrific vocals by kim, nice arrangement. it will be a great live song also, i can tell... especially on the little breakdown part.

2. incinerate - not a bad song, very catchy. it sounds A LOT like green mind-era dinosaur jr. doesn't sound much like sonic youth though... sounds very clean and accessible in the verses.

3. do you believe in rapture? - not my favourite song, but it might be growing on me. i like how they took some chances with the production, but it sounds kind of like an arena rock, hold-up-yr-lighter song.

4. sleepin around - sounds sort of like an unfinished sketch of a velvet underground song. the drums on the mix that i have heard are way too quiet, and its not as driving as it could be.

5. what a waste - sounds like it should be on experimental jet set. again, it sounds sort of unfinished. kim doesn't sing it as well as she sings the other songs on the album, but i do love the lyric, "i can't wait to taste your face."

6. jams run free - this song sounds like it would normally be a b-side or bonus track or something... theres just not a whole lot to it. maybe i need to listen to it more, but i find it sort of boring.

7. rats - fantastic. lee's catchiest song since "genetic." arrangement is very effective and it sounds like theres some light tape delay on his voice that reminds me of the vocal production of "hey joni." and it will definitely be a great live song.

8. turquoise boy - a pretty song with a nice piano track. kim sings it very well, and it has a light and airy quality to it. much more melodic than the typical sy song.

9. lights out - so far i'm not really digging this song. i don't care much for the lyrics and the chorus is kind of boring and poorly executed. maybe it will grow on me.

10. the neutral - very catchy, fresh verse. very stale chorus that sounds very much like a sonic nurse rip off. great vocal production though, sounds very warm.

11. pink steam - epic-ish arrangement. definitely thurston's best vocals on the album. strong song and the recording does it justice.

12. or - a nice, introverted closer... with bad lyrics. but the textures are there and thats what counts.

all in all, i approve. i can't wait to hear the final mixes, and i have a feeling that the album will really grow on me.
Old 04.16.2006, 06:44 AM   #84
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
sucks ass.

sonic geezers.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 06:46 AM   #85
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
i downloaded the album too...
i personnaly thought it was very dissapointing
Old 04.16.2006, 07:14 AM   #86
evol
empty page

evol has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Hi!
I download the album yesterday, (as my own birthday present;-) I have only listen to it 3 or 4 times but I like it a lot, I will continue listening to it and maybe later I will write s´t about it, of course I will buy it when it comes out (both cd and vinyl versions as always)

I am still amazed how is possible that the album is already on emule, soulseek, etc...

Do you believe in rapture? is my favourite song at the moment...
cheers

Pedro
evol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 08:21 AM   #87
holy-reverb!!
children of satan

holy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of light
You honestly cannot excpect that they should sound like they did 25 years ago. This is peculiar. Everyone wants 20 albums that sound like sister (or whatever you love from SY in the 80s).
holy-reverb!! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 01:05 PM   #88
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
that's funny, reena reminded me of mega man. incinerate does have a dinosaur jr. feel for sure
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 02:45 PM   #89
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by holy-reverb!!
You honestly cannot excpect that they should sound like they did 25 years ago. This is peculiar. Everyone wants 20 albums that sound like sister (or whatever you love from SY in the 80s).

Quite the opposite. We are amazed at how they've evolved over the years. And the ones that don't like it I can understand...it abandons a lot of what was their signature sound.
Old 04.16.2006, 03:06 PM   #90
huoxito
little trouble girl

huoxito is just really nicehuoxito is just really nicehuoxito is just really nicehuoxito is just really nicehuoxito is just really nice
yes i think all that noise is runnning out... what is really sad... and i don't believe they will do albums as NYC anymore.... fuck .....
anyway i'm listening first rather ripped song and it sounds good ......
but i really miss all that feedback .......
and anyway again ... its new stuff out....
i will finish listening to it now....
huoxito is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 06:04 PM   #91
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I've listened a few more times and it has some decent songs

Listen to the new JESU ep instead.

Old 04.16.2006, 06:56 PM   #92
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I've listened a few more times and it has some decent songs

Listen to the new JESU ep instead.

I have yet to check them out, but I've seen them in stores a lot. Aren't they similar to Khanate?
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 07:21 PM   #93
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Jesu is like shoegazer meets Godflesh.

Old 04.16.2006, 07:43 PM   #94
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
At first I was slightly disappointed, but fuck, this is really growing on me. Listen closely, everythings sonic is in there, for crissakes. "Rats" is definitely an instant classic, typical Lee brilliance, and makes me think of running through a dark night-time field with a crazy multipattern-jacketed wonder-soaked hippy girl.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 08:03 PM   #95
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
The album is growing on me too. I think it's more of a return to early 90s alternative rock. Like early Pavement with fuller guitar sounds (not single note playing) but mixed with unconventional, yet *consonant*(as opposed to the usual dissonant stuff you would expect from Sonic Youth) chords.

There is nothing radical or revolutionary, they're just good nostalgic songs. But it's not nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia. It's more like a nod of appreciation to the early 90's.
Old 04.16.2006, 08:30 PM   #96
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka

noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 09:22 PM   #97
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
drunken double posting action baBY
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 09:23 PM   #98
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
pink steam
reena
jams run free
are all sweet

all in all it's a good lp..

not feelin it as much as nurse or murr street but still cool..
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 11:50 PM   #99
Kursty
empty page

Kursty is as plain as the day is long
Quote:
Originally Posted by holy-reverb!!

I just want them to make the same album 3 times over, with eace one getting worse and worse.
Kursty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2006, 11:54 PM   #100
Kursty
empty page

Kursty is as plain as the day is long
First off, do some of you work as markters, they way you put on a spin on a yawnfest...

Also, SY members have kept up the "noise" experimentations in their side projects, so it's not that they evolved as they redirected it...
Kursty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth