Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page for those who have seen the holy mountain.....
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.25.2009, 07:34 PM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
This is bothering me.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/p9hvwg

The main melody in this song by Lau Nau, "Vuoren Laelle", is identical to a song on the Holy Mountain soundtrack (specifically the scene in the movie where they say "The tarrot will show you the way..." and the room spins). I mean, it's 100% identical. Not that it matters. This is good stuff. Anyway, does anyone have any info on this. Is it supposed to just be a ripoff/homage or are both songs based on some older song with this melody?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2009, 07:37 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Okay, apparently, it's intentional and probably a homage, as the album has a few more moments like this on it. Kinda cool but also kinda......... eh.

Old 01.25.2009, 08:11 PM   #3
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
I just recently saw this movie and loved it. The first third of it is random but then it gets this cool philosophical feel to it. I like it even better than El Tupo. Didnt even realize there WAS a soudtrack to this movie. Think you could upload cause im sure its harder to find than a non douchebag nickelback fan.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2009, 08:14 PM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

http://worldofsoundtrack.blogspot.co...-mountain.html

I think Holy Mountain's technically a better movie than El Topo (and maybe, all things considered, the greatest film of all time), but I personally prefer El Topo for whatever reason. I think I just really like films that focus on one character almost exclusively....

Old 01.25.2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i can see the soundtrack to holy mountain influencing many a modern day psych outfit, there's parts that made me go "acid mothers temple? ghost?".

i personally like fando y lis more but you can't go wrong with those three (santa sangre too).
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2009, 09:24 PM   #6
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Santa Sangre is awesome too!

I want to see Tusk.. no idea how to though.

Old 01.26.2009, 10:33 PM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_xMpcN3IIc

interview about king shot.

Old 01.27.2009, 03:42 PM   #9
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
If you buy his box set you get not only the movies but the soundtracks.
Old 01.27.2009, 07:39 PM   #10
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
only el topo & holy mountain sountracks
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2009, 07:53 PM   #11
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
The main melody in this song by Lau Nau, "Vuoren Laelle", is identical to a song on the Holy Mountain soundtrack

I've heard neither of them, so I can't give my input on this one, but "vuoren laelle" would be translated as "to the top of the mountain" or something along those lines.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2010, 02:20 PM   #12
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Here's another movie reference I found... the English translation for the 4th song of the album ('Rubiinilasia') goes like this:

'between the two tallest buildings
in the town
lies a man
and with him dies the skill
of making
ruby glass

you can take
everything you know
will know
to the grave
but remember
it can't be undone
be undone'

Now I'm pretty sure that's a clear reference to Werner Herzog's 'Heart of Glass'
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2010, 12:49 PM   #13
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
I prefer El Topo.

I loved the first half or whatever of The Holy Mountain. The last part of it - not so much.
DanielCarlson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2010, 07:53 PM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah after making this thread I read this was 100% intentional.

The Holy Mountain is the best film ever, technically. I love how it starts out like this absurd artsy thing, just breathtaking. then it tells a really cohesive, fucked-up story... before turning into an insane documentary about the cast and crew. All the best parts are the end, like "I CAN SCALE THE MOUNTAIN HORIZONTALLY!!!!!!!!!!" and all that music at the end, wow..

The best scene in the movie, and one of my favorite scenes in any movie ever.. is the scene where all the people are envisioning their fears and their fantasies.. the music in that scene is amazing.. but yeah, the part where the chick's face is covered in thick, uh, cum, and a fist is in her mouth, and the animals fuck.. and the scene with the spiders crawling on the guy.. and the scene with the crazy lady who castrates the guy... all the gold... the decapitation that makes a blood fountain from the goat... that little 5 minute scene is the most disturbing, shocking, creepy, and visually stunning scene in any movie ever.

But as good as Holy Mountain is, no film can touch El Topo in my mind (except Taxi Driver). Should be on Criterion. Jodorowsky is just SOOOOOOOOOOOOO visually BRILLAINT with all his films, and he edits so quickly that it almost seems effortless. Instead of lingering on amazing shots, he just shows em, and then moves on... amazing!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth