Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page classic albums, atsonicpark edition # 16: slint - spiderland
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.30.2008, 10:01 AM   #21
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
I listened to the record only once and found it rather boring.
Old 05.17.2008, 02:41 AM   #22
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
*promotes the genius*

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2008, 03:47 AM   #23
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedindreams
The end of Good Morning, Captain is the greatest thing my ears have ever witnessed. Pure bliss.

You're absolutely right, this album is incredible, and Good Morning Captain is the absolute highlight. One of my biggest regrets was not seeing this performed live last year. It's just a shame we didn't hear more from Slint, and what we did didn't come close to the genius of Spiderland.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2008, 05:54 AM   #24
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I remember this coming out at the time, and how it really seemed to polarise people. In Britain around that time, the scene seemed to be splitting into camps, with the 'noise scene' beginning to embrace more improv/jazz/Beefheart influences (early Royal Trux, etc) with another side getting into a more Fall influenced style (Pavement, Slint, etc). I suppose at the time I was more into the former and so largely ignored Slint - although I did own Spiderland. Like Sarramkrop, I just didn't like it at the time and, listening to it again recently, still can't see what all the fuss was about. I will agree though that the cover is beautiful. And for a lot of people in the UK it was a very important album, so definitely deserves its classic status - just not for everyone.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2008, 08:05 AM   #25
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I will agree though that the cover is beautiful.

Fact: The cover photograph was taken by Will Oldham.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 11:22 AM   #26
jonathan
children of satan

jonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's asses
Good album, but I rarely listen to it.

I never think to put it on and it rarely suits my mood. what can I say?
jonathan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 11:26 AM   #27
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i listen to it prolly monthly or more. its a perennial classic. i cant think of many ablums from the 90s better than this.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 11:37 AM   #28
jonathan
children of satan

jonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
i listen to it prolly monthly or more. its a perennial classic. i cant think of many ablums from the 90s better than this.

yeah... all in all the 90s sucked in music.

There, I said it.
jonathan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 12:16 PM   #29
sarramkrop

I can think of a whole bunch of people who made records in the 90's that i enjoy more than this one, which is still a good one, even though it still bores me to death.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 06:35 PM   #30
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan
yeah... all in all the 90s sucked in music.

There, I said it.

i dont think anyone can debate that. it was a horrible time for tunes. the merging of the underground and the mainstream made for less groundbreaking underground music and less catchy pop music. people talk about the 90's as a reaction against the sucky 80's, but if you ask me, id take big black and madonna over pearl jam and guided by voices any fucking day.

not sayin there wernt some great bands and records of course, just less in volume in comparison with the 00's, 80's, 70's, and 60's.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 09:02 PM   #31
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
the 90's have plenty of amazing bands and albums, my favorite thing is that most i didn't get to listen to them during that time.

there's plenty of shitty ones, just like in any decade.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 09:08 PM   #32
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
i think every period has been more or less equal o musical quality. some people think that music today sucks or that the 80s sucked, but if you know where to look then you can always find someone doing something amazing and creative, just as if you look elswhere it will seem that every perioud made bad music....

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 02:14 AM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, the 90's isn't any better than the 80's, the 80's isn't better than 70's... music has been pretty equal for a long time.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 02:31 AM   #34
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I love reminding people that say they love 70's music that saying so includes Throbbing Gristle.

Not to suggest that TG are bad but people that say something like that generally can't stomach TG.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 02:32 PM   #35
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Throbbing Gristle is maybe the greatest IDEA ever. But as a band? Eh... they're okay.

Old 05.20.2008, 02:38 PM   #36
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I remember hearing about slint for a LONG time, for over a couple of years, and I could not find any of their recordings.
One day my friend sozavac brought over the Kids sountrack and told me that Lou Barlow had put it together and that there was a slint song. I listened to it and was OH FUCK, this is as good or better than I imagined!

I found spiderland, Tweez (which is half good half meh) and the untitled EP soon after.
I played Spiderland every day for weeks. It is just an amazing album and it gave me hope, around 9 years ago or so, that young guys were still making bleak interesting sad/angry rock music

and yes, albini's production on it is fucking awesome as always.
Old 05.20.2008, 02:41 PM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Rob, I can't tell from your post because you kinda grouped Tweez, Spiderland, the untitled EP together in that paragraph, but in case I read this right, I just wanted to let you know Steve didn't produced Spiderland... he did produce Tweez and I read an interview that said he wishes he'd produced Spiderland though he couldn't have done a better job than the guy who produced it did.

Old 05.20.2008, 02:45 PM   #38
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
i dont think anyone can debate that. it was a horrible time for tunes. the merging of the underground and the mainstream made for less groundbreaking underground music and less catchy pop music. people talk about the 90's as a reaction against the sucky 80's, but if you ask me, id take big black and madonna over pearl jam and guided by voices any fucking day.

not sayin there wernt some great bands and records of course, just less in volume in comparison with the 00's, 80's, 70's, and 60's.

Because obviously you're the only one who knows all music from every decade. Everything ever recorded has gone through the ears of the above dude. And even if it really did, which isn't the case, you rarely struck me as someone who absorbs music, rather than just give it a quick listen.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 02:50 PM   #39
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Rob, I can't tell from your post because you kinda grouped Tweez, Spiderland, the untitled EP together in that paragraph, but in case I read this right, I just wanted to let you know Steve didn't produced Spiderland... he did produce Tweez and I read an interview that said he wishes he'd produced Spiderland though he couldn't have done a better job than the guy who produced it did.

Thanks! who's the mad genius who did it?

I also love the EP, two long instrumental tracks with a picture of snowy murder on the black and white cover.

Twez sounds to me like a band still finding it's footing.
Old 05.20.2008, 02:55 PM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

You know what I think of Tweez? I think it was a bunch of dudes who wanted to do a Rapeman or Big Black type thing but one of the guitarists had only heard "Kerosene" and he just decided to do harmonics on every song through a crappy distortion pedal. I think half way through recording they all decided to make an art record. All in all, it's a REALLY interesting listen, but it's not really... well... it's good. But it's more interesting than good. "PAST WHERE THEY PAINT THE HOUSES!"

I love the untitled EP though. The best song from Tweez is on there... and it sounds amazing... there's a riff on that album that just blows me away... man, Slint wrote some good riffs (on the, what, 14 songs they ever wrote)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Paulson <--- producer of Spiderland

I still say "For Dinner" is one of the best songs ever made.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth