Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Paris Hilton's 'Stars are blind'
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.06.2007, 10:58 AM   #61
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i love paris, and i love her album is half good/half ridiculously funny.

anyway, my favorite and only current celebrity i find even mildly facinating.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 11:25 AM   #62
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
The problem with talentless bimbos like Ms Hilton singing manufactured crap is that the record companies then spend less time and money on really talented singers/songwriters struggling to get a break. If we carry on with meaningless "celebs" off of tacky "reality" shows and people like Hilton more famous for sucking cock than having any musical talent, all that will be left is manufacture pop. Mind you, I suppose she can claim to be able to play the hairy bagpipe. Does that make her a musician with talent?
ThePits is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 12:43 PM   #63
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Stars are Blind is an awesome song. Paris Hilton is clearly an utter waste of space, but then there's plenty of non-wastes of space that have never 'produced' - however loosely you interpret that word - a song as brilliant as Stars are Blind. So, unfortunately, in this case it's corporate branding 1, talented individuals Nil.

Talented invididuals may concede further points when the new Girls Aloud single is released, which is, yet again, utterly brilliant. Although I'm very much sitting on the fence as regards whether or not I think they may actually be able to sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 01:01 PM   #64
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Stars are Blind is an awesome song. Paris Hilton is clearly an utter waste of space, but then there's plenty of non-wastes of space that have never 'produced' - however loosely you interpret that word - a song as brilliant as Stars are Blind. So, unfortunately, in this case it's corporate branding 1, talented individuals Nil.

Talented invididuals may concede further points when the new Girls Aloud single is released, which is, yet again, utterly brilliant. Although I'm very much sitting on the fence as regards whether or not I think they may actually be able to sing.

Unfortunately for a few years now with the manufactured pop ethos prevailing in the record companies, talented musicians have consistently fallen by the wayside

I worked a few of the original Spice Girls shows years ago, two of them can sing, the rest couldnt hit a note with a hammer
Old 08.06.2007, 01:39 PM   #65
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePits
Unfortunately for a few years now with the manufactured pop ethos prevailing in the record companies, talented musicians have consistently fallen by the wayside

I worked a few of the original Spice Girls shows years ago, two of them can sing, the rest couldnt hit a note with a hammer

The Spice Girls were shit mind you.

To be honest, I look at MTV or whatever pop channel on TV, and I listen to 'commercial' radio/ radio 1/ radio 2 and I hear a hell of a lot of bands who, ostensibly, play, sing and write their own music. I don't like the glut of it, but aren't the Kooks, Razorlight, The Strokes, The White Stripes, RHCP, James Blunt, KT Tunstall, Jaime Cullum, Lily Allen, The Cribs, The Libertines (and whatever side-projects they have now) and a fair few others I've clearly forgotten all, to some extent, 'talented musicians'?

From another perspective - I know absolutely bloody loads of 'talented musicians', some of whom have written alright songs, none of whom have written songs as brilliant as Girls Aloud, the Sugababes or Paris Hilton's Stars are Blind and, furthermore, are entirely unlikely to. Commercial, pre-fab pop at its worst is some of the most asinine, pointless fodder imaginable, but at its best can produce some unspeakable brilliance. In the last year I've heard so many more brilliant songs from the pre-fab, commercial side of things than I have from 'talented' musicians.

As a caveat for this, I'm drawing a distinction between anything which is song-based and what might be called art-music (in the sense of 'classical' music being more rightly known as art-music). These are, in essence, lines in the sand, but it's my sand and my lines.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 08.06.2007, 01:42 PM   #66
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I prefer the remixed version: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gvneOtIK38w
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 04:37 PM   #67
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
even if talentless manufacture popstars, do you think the masses were to listen to something more challenging?

those songs are well written, the delivery is ok, if i want to listen to something, i'd immerse myself on frequency lsd, most people wouldn't want that choice.

ps: the spice girls were utter crap, they had like half a good song in their whole discography.
Old 08.06.2007, 04:44 PM   #68
ThePits
stalker

The problem is the masses are rarely given a choice
Old 08.06.2007, 04:50 PM   #69
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

man, you're too optimistic.

the proof is, why are the ramones and the pistols way more popular now than, say, black flag or the dead kennedys within mainstream circles.
Old 08.06.2007, 07:03 PM   #70
Kallisti23chaos
children of satan

Kallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOUT
I just dont find the anorexic barbie doll beauty queen rich bitch slut thing very attractive.

i'd put a bag over her head and take care of business.
Old 08.06.2007, 07:57 PM   #71
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
man, you're too optimistic.

the proof is, why are the ramones and the pistols way more popular now than, say, black flag or the dead kennedys within mainstream circles.
They aren't, their shirts are. And yr telling me you don't see thousands of DK sweatshirts and belt-buckles on all these retards? Phaw! Plus, the Ramones and the Sex Pistols are "cool" to "like", and people are at least aware of their existence, Black Flag, and to a lesser extent, DK, are not well-publicized.
And for the infinith time, Paris Hilton is NOT in fact good, or worth listening to/paying attention to/life, nor is her "music" listenable, good, or even worth allowing it the time to be played out on the television.
Overlook her, you say? Sure. The music is still terrible, manufactured, boring TRASH.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2007, 03:12 AM   #72
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Good pop is down to the production, hence the goodness of Girls Aloud. "Stars Are Blind" sounds pretty average, to say the least, and not even up to the standard of yer run-of-the-mill J-Pop song. Why did it sell? Well, at t'moment, you could stick Paris Hilton's name on bog paper, and it'd sell like hot cakes.
Old 08.07.2007, 03:36 AM   #73
sarramkrop

Fact: Dead Kennedys or Black Flag are in no way more popular than the Sex Pistols or The Ramones.

Why people who hold Beck with such high regard get so irritated by Paris Hilton, anyway? There is a substantial difference in disliking someone's public personality (or lack of it, whatever you want to say) and objectively appreciating or disliking a song for what it is: either good or bad. The whole debate about pop and guitar music has always been silly, if only because both rock music and pop are both by their own very nature unreliable. And I still don't understand why the emphasis is generally put on a whole genre or, even worse, on the instruments used to make the music itself, rather than on the talent of the musicians who make it. Who can really deny that there are trillions of records made by people who use guitars and sound almost exactly the same? The sound of them might be more abrasive, confrontational, it might be a song or piece of music striving to express some sort of deep and pissed off emotion, but the fact remains that even if it comes on an obscure or negleted format, even if the packaging is a nice piece of artwork, it still manages to sound like no more than what is the equivalent of an average boy/girl band that does the same song over and over again: No more no less. It might be a noisier sound or more in your face, but once you heard one, you pretty much have heard most of them. In this context, Stars And Blind is far from being a work of genius, but at least it has the decency to present itself like a song with all its limitations and enjoyable potential; A record you simply put on and, erm, enjoy, hate or you simply feel indifferent about. Nothing more, nothing less. Relax people.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2007, 03:42 AM   #74
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
I prefer the remixed version: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gvneOtIK38w

Yes, that's a blatant rip-off...
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2007, 07:55 AM   #75
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
even if talentless manufacture popstars, do you think the masses were to listen to something more challenging?

The problem with this idea is where do you stop with 'challenging' music? Black Flag and their ilk aren't that challenging next to a Ligeti, Xenakis, Radelescu, Wagner [etc]. That's not to say that I agree with absolute difficulty in music, nor would I encourage everyone to listen to such, but difficult music is, by its very nature, elitisit music made mainly for effete pricks who want to appear clever (viz., myself).

Quote:
Old 08.07.2007, 08:24 AM   #76
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Don't see the hatred with paris.

of all hollywood stars, she's in the 10% that doesn't annoy me.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2007, 12:53 PM   #77
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
They aren't, their shirts are. And yr telling me you don't see thousands of DK sweatshirts and belt-buckles on all these retards? Phaw! Plus, the Ramones and the Sex Pistols are "cool" to "like", and people are at least aware of their existence, Black Flag, and to a lesser extent, DK, are not well-publicized.
And for the infinith time, Paris Hilton is NOT in fact good, or worth listening to/paying attention to/life, nor is her "music" listenable, good, or even worth allowing it the time to be played out on the television.
Overlook her, you say? Sure. The music is still terrible, manufactured, boring TRASH.

dude, now that i went to new york, i heard the ramones the three times i listened to the radio.

yesterday, i went to see the misfakes live and the show was sold fucking out, whenever dez sang a black flag song, most people stood in silence but whenever they played a misfits song everybody would go nuts.

Glice: it was an example, i'm not saying flag and the dks are challenging, but compared, in a punk context, to the ramones or the pistols or the clash or misfits, they are, and most people who are into punk can't get into them because punk is now a form of mass music, you know, pop.

porky: i love flag and love paris, in different ways.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth