Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best Of The New Dylan Classic Trilogy Albums?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which is The Best New Dyalan Album?
Time Out Of Mind 2 22.22%
Love and Theft 2 22.22%
Modern Times 2 22.22%
Dylan is still releasing albums? 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06.18.2007, 12:25 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Dylan as of lately really got his muse back and has been releasing some great material. Which of the new albums by him do you like best?
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 02:09 PM   #2
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
They're all pretty good
I went w/ Love & Theft
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2007, 06:12 PM   #3
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Time out of Mind is way too overproduced. The "solo" in Dirt Road Blues is particularly funny--at least three guitars trying to get our attention. But the lesser songs would be highpoints on nearly any 80s release. Standing in the Doorway and Not Dark Yet are instant classics, and Highlands shows that he still has a sense of humor.

Love and Theft was produced by the man himself, which is cool--can't blame anyone else if it sucks. The old timey songs are convincing (Bye and Bye, for example, sounds exactly like a Tip Pan Alley tune) and the players are good. This is one that I appriciate, though, more than I actually like.

Modern Times, or Love and Theft, pt. II. Also produced by the man, and featuring the same blues-y Americana. I particularly like Ain't Talking.

I don't care that he's not breaking any new ground. He can sound like it's still 1957 if he wants. After all, he's always been a traditionalist. But here's the problem:

He used to be insane and good. This is when his best records were made.

Then, for a long time, he was just insane.

Now, he's just good. The insanity's missing and the work suffers. (Maybe he's leaving the "wild" out of the mercury sound.)

Don't get me wrong: these records belong somewhere on the Top 20 Dylan Albums list, just not near the top. Still glad he's around, though.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2007, 09:40 AM   #4
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Yeah, people can't expect Dylan to be the amazing revolution he was back in the 60s and 70s. I mean, how old is he? He can hardly sing anymore! I think his recent stuff is great though.
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth