Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: .....?>?>?>??>
us 31 65.96%
uk 16 34.04%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05.01.2011, 12:15 AM   #81
BakaGaijin
little trouble girl

BakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

Canadian Punk

Bullshit.

As a Canadian I resemble that remark.....uh....I mean............fuck, at least we had D.O.A.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twSRE...eature=related
BakaGaijin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2011, 05:55 AM   #82
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaGaijin
Bullshit.

As a Canadian I resemble that remark
You meant "resent" ?
Old 05.01.2011, 09:26 AM   #83
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
The Exploited, SuBhUmanS and Crass were atrocious........
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2011, 09:17 AM   #84
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Did anyone mention The Stranglers?

Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2011, 09:26 AM   #85
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
The Exploited are the exception that proves the rule. They are absoutely terrible.

'UK82' is one of my favourite songs ever, regardless of genre.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2011, 04:03 PM   #86
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
'UK82' is one of my favourite songs ever, regardless of genre.

Ive since listened to that song, and its absolute shit. So im still waiting for the Exploited song that proves the rule about the Exploited being the exception that proves the rule... phew

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2011, 06:59 PM   #87
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Ive since listened to that song, and its absolute shit.

Haha. Fair enough.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2011, 08:32 PM   #88
BakaGaijin
little trouble girl

BakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's assesBakaGaijin kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
You meant "resent" ?

No, I meant "resemble". It was a joke.

Interesting new punk movie about the '70s Vancouver punk scene Bloodied But Unbowed:

http://thepunkmovie.com/webisodes/bl...owed-trailer-1
BakaGaijin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2011, 04:04 AM   #89
jonathan
children of satan

jonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
The Exploited, SuBhUmanS and Crass were atrocious........

Crass is amazing, but their getting lumped in with the rest of the punk scene from the era is a bit of an injustice. Even though I never listen to them, they're one of those bands I'll never dislike because I was 16 once and they changed my life. I have a similar opinion about Subhumans.

Exploited are awful.
jonathan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2011, 08:32 AM   #90
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan
Crass is amazing, but their getting lumped in with the rest of the punk scene from the era is a bit of an injustice. Even though I never listen to them, they're one of those bands I'll never dislike because I was 16 once and they changed my life. I have a similar opinion about Subhumans.

For me they were great when I was 15 but after hanging around with anarchists and crusty punks quickly made me feel exactly the opposite, I just wound up become totally disinterested in any sort of related ideology and the music never captured my attention the same with Rudimentary Peni did, but hey bro, that's just different strokes! I also never got into the Dead Kennedys either........ you know what band is awesome? The Feederz. And Flipper.
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2011, 08:44 AM   #91
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaGaijin
Bullshit.

As a Canadian I resemble that remark.....uh....I mean............fuck, at least we had D.O.A.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twSRE...eature=related
Even better, you havd Nomeansno.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2011, 11:16 AM   #92
jonathan
children of satan

jonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
For me they were great when I was 15 but after hanging around with anarchists and crusty punks quickly made me feel exactly the opposite, I just wound up become totally disinterested in any sort of related ideology and the music never captured my attention the same with Rudimentary Peni did, but hey bro, that's just different strokes! I also never got into the Dead Kennedys either........ you know what band is awesome? The Feederz. And Flipper.

Nothing more annoying than a bunch of crusties and anarchists who think they're making a difference with their slowed down metallic blackened doom crust, violins and tribal drums included. Crass certainly contributed to a tired form of experimental punk that I simply can't get behind. They're really a lot more radical than people give them credit.

Never been able to get into Flipper. Tried. never happened.
jonathan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2011, 01:42 PM   #93
Dude McDude
bad moon rising

Dude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's asses
us hands down simply because its punk scene has kept developing into new sounds/standards ever since late 70's
Dude McDude is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2011, 01:44 PM   #94
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
Did anyone mention The Stranglers?

nope.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2011, 01:53 PM   #95
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude McDude
us hands down simply because its punk scene has kept developing into new sounds/standards ever since late 70's

Really? I mean, I might be wrong [I'm never wrong], but isn't American punk characterised by the fact that it doesn't change? What bands are you thinking of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2011, 02:20 PM   #96
Dude McDude
bad moon rising

Dude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Really? I mean, I might be wrong [I'm never wrong], but isn't American punk characterised by the fact that it doesn't change? What bands are you thinking of?
a few examples:
bad brains > teen idles > black flag > minor threat > embrace (along with other emo bands like rites of spring and OLW) > fugazi
or:
big black > rapeman > shellac (stemming from rifle sports and mission of burma)
or:
deep wound > dinosaur jr/sebadoh
or:
hüsker du's development
or:
mike watts entire career from minutemen to present
or:
meat puppets

et c

(not to say that the uk or us scene didnt influence each other)
Dude McDude is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2011, 02:28 PM   #97
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Ok - what I was getting at was that Hardcore, for instance, has basically had two big influences (BF and BB) and there hasn't really been much to break that template in nearly 30 years. Ska-punk hasn't really done much since Rancid. The so-cal and pop punk stuff hasn't really changed since Husker Du or possibly the Ramones. Garage punk is mostly the Stooges.

And you've listed a few individuals there, rather than a whole scene. And Steve Albini's not a punk - he's a hack.

I'm not saying the British are any better, I just feel that punk is much more about a social and cultural thing than it is about musical invention. The punks I know (admittedly in the UK) are all pretty much about community rather than invention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2011, 02:56 PM   #98
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9rJL...e_gdata_player
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2011, 03:08 PM   #99
Crumb's Crunchy Delights
expwy. to yr skull

Crumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard sucka
i read this as uk vs. us punk

Crumb's Crunchy Delights is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2011, 05:33 AM   #100
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
This response will be a bit all over the place, but then again we're talking about punk rock which has never really defined anything all that specific despite what many will say. Just throwing thoughts at random out there so read with that in mind. Totally typing this out as thoughts spring to mind on the issue:

Difficult, considering all the waves + directions punk has taken since it's origins. If we're talking that first wave (mid to late 70's), then I'm going with US. Straight ahead fun/sometimes silly/next to always trashy rock n roll vs. the (typically....) more fashion oriented (usually) psuedo-political vibes going on across the ocean. Sure US punks were fashionable, too...but feels to me as if the music has aged a little better as I've aged, which I'm sure says something about the music itself. I'll listen to the Voidoids/Ramones/Dead Boys/Heartbreakers/etc any day over the Pistols/Clash/Damned.....that said, I absolutely love Slits, Crass (more as an artsy weirdo thing than a political voice).

Opinions change as we age, and reevaluating some of that material is interesting. I enjoy the Pistols from a distance, books and photos more than the actual music which just sounds a little tooooo adolescent for where I'm at at this stage of my life (as do the vast majority of their peers). Sometimes images on a postcard are more fun than the actual music.

I'd rather hear songs about trannies and prostitutes and drugs and girls and fun than songs about what's wrong with the system or how I should live my life. More than either, songs consisting of lyrical nonsense. I'd rather the music speak more than the actual words.

Fuck the Exploited and all that "UK '82" shit. Boring. If punk means (better yet..."meant") anything ever to me it was a freedom/no-rules-do-it-yr-own-way concept. In the same way, the vast majority of early to mid 80's US (and I'm sorry, "hardcore" to me will always be as American as baseball or whatever) hardcore does little to nothing for me even if I like a few of the bands that lead up to that movement (Black Flag, Bad Brains) and a few others that happened loosely as a result (No Trend, Flipper, Stick Men w/ Ray Guns, early Butthole Surfers, Scratch Acid, Big Black, Meat Puppets). Fuck Minor Threat. Ian Mackaye was and still (mostly...) is a total self righteous bore. Again, I don't dig preachiness or songs written around lyrics. Youth Brigade, boring. I'm might be an asshole but it damned sure isn't because I drink or smoke cigarettes.

Post-punk:

Joy Division were and still are awesome. I've dug them since I was probably 16 + their music sounds better to me than it did back then. The Fall are hella cool. Smiths are total shit. The Cure usually sucks, too.

Sonic Youth are still my absolute most favorite band of all time (imagine that! But yeah, I still think the Stooges kick total fucking ass and come in at a close second). Nirvana are still cool to me.

But really, fuck punk rock. Fuck labels. Put on some khakis and a v-neck sweater and read books and boggle the minds of those often leather clad idiots when they discover you know more about their own "labels" than they do. that's punk rock to me. Miles Davis is punk rock to me. Pere Ubu is punk rock as fuck to me, Stooges, Dolls, Iggy (come on, fucker used to roll around is glass now he rolls around in cash, pretty punk if ya ask me), Coltrane, Sun Ra, Prurient, Merzbow....none of which claim punk rock but are considerably more punk rock than those that think the label really serves any purpose in 2011.

Who cares.

US punk....this entire nonsensical response just to say that. yeah.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth