Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page J Mascis used to be in GG Allin's band?! WHAT?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.25.2018, 05:16 AM   #1
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
So I've been listening to quite a bit of Dino Jr tonight, as I have a habit of doing when I get overly introspective and start chainsmoking Newports... and I've been reading interviews w/ J. I came across some info that absolutely blew my mind.

Apparently in the 80's, J Mascis was in GG Allin's band according to two separate interviews and his Wiki page.

From Bite My Wire:

Quote:
You played in GG Allin's band in the 1980s. Did he ever have 'off' nights?
I don't think he really has off nights. He's pretty over the top, but only on stage, like, off stage he's pretty normal.He'd take Ex-Lax, so he would be shitting, and I don't know what kind of drugs he was taking.I remember the whole crowd would be at the back wall of the club, no-one wanted to get near the stage. They ran to the back.

Was he a nice guy?

Oh yeah. He was cool. He just really transformed on stage, he got really prepared.

And then another from The Guardian...

Quote:
Talking of excrement ... You once played a show with legendary coprophiliac GG Allin. What was that like?
He was nice. Until he got onstage. Then he flipped a switch. He took a lot of drugs, and Ex-Lax (3). It was quite ugly. He rammed the mic up his butt, cut himself everywhere, he was covered in blood and shit within minutes. They threw him out of the club after four songs.

He was described as "the most spectacular degenerate in rock'n'roll history". Do you have a moral position on degeneracy of that order?
A moral position? It was quite an unpleasant experience.

Can such behaviour be defended on artistic grounds?
Sure. I mean, it definitely had an effect on people. No one was near the stage. Everyone was against the back wall of the club. He [Allin] had a song called I'm Gonna Rape You and he'd say, "This is where I go out in the crowd and rape the girl so keep playing the guitar solo till I get back onstage." The fact is, he wouldn't have to because these girls were happy to give themselves to him.

From GG Allin's Wiki page:

Quote:
Allin gained wider attention with the ROIR cassette-only release of Hated in the Nation (1987) containing tracks from Allin's out-of-print catalog with The Jabbers, The Scumfucs and Cedar Street Sluts. The tape also featured several in-studio and in-concert recordings with an all-star band assembled by producer Maximum RocknRoll and early Allin patron Mykel Board. This band featured J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. on lead guitar and Bongwater record producer/musician Mark Kramer on bass.

Anyone know more about this? My mind is legit blown right now. Admittedly, I'm a fan of both for different reasons, but the two dudes seem like the antithesis of one another.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2018, 06:07 AM   #2
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I think quite a few musicians on the circuit played with him at one time or another. I can't remember individual names but there's a fair bit about it in Lisa Carver's biography, Drugs are Nice.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2018, 01:04 PM   #3
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Thurston too: http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/cc/100686.html
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2018, 02:48 PM   #4
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
as previously discussed...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...ighlight=Allin
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2018, 03:30 PM   #5
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69

To be fair, there's nothing about Mascis in that thread.

Still though, wow about Thurston also. I had no clue.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth